Is the Ruger Mini 14 an assault riffle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is the Ruger Mini 14 an assault riffle?

68DARKHORSE
02-12-2012, 12:21
Is the Ruger Mini 14 an assault riffle?

Nestor
02-12-2012, 12:25
If You are planning on assulting the stronghold occupied by the coyotes or foxes than yes, absolutely.

WoodenPlank
02-12-2012, 12:28
Considering the Mini is not fully automatic - no, it's not.

Kaybe
02-12-2012, 12:28
Since "assault" is an act, not an object, the answer is no. The A-Team sure liked to use them, though they couldn't hit very well with them.

Reswob
02-12-2012, 12:29
Not in less it's select-fire... and then it would be an AC-556...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

GSSF17
02-12-2012, 12:35
Any weapon displayed in a manner where harm inflicted by its custodian is imminent and/or a reasonable person would feel threatened, is an assault weapon.

faawrenchbndr
02-12-2012, 12:35

It isn't an assuly rifle, but it CAN be used as such, as can a Ruger 10/22

Glockdude1
02-12-2012, 12:37

No, it is not a assault riffle..... :tongueout:

WoodenPlank
02-12-2012, 12:39
No, it is not a assault riffle..... :tongueout:

What the hell is with so many people typing "riffle" lately?

Glockdude1
02-12-2012, 12:48

It was the first thing I noticed, in the title of the thread......

:rofl:

WoodenPlank
02-12-2012, 13:16
It was the first thing I noticed, in the title of the thread......

:rofl:

I glanced over it so fast I didn't catch it. That's at least the 3rd or 4th thread lately where it's been mis-spelled "riffle."

Magelk
02-12-2012, 14:18
Since "assault" is an act, not an object, the answer is no. The A-Team sure liked to use them, though they couldn't hit very well with them.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

68DARKHORSE
02-12-2012, 14:24

LOL. It was a typo. I did a copy/paste without spell checking.

samuse
02-12-2012, 14:27

I don't know, but it's freekin' annoying.

I shoot at a little gun range and their sign out front is spelled "Riffle". I really want to rip the sign down and tell him to learn how spell.
Good thing I don't get very drunk before I go to the range.:rofl:

Alaskapopo
02-12-2012, 15:18
Yes and no. The full auto or lack of is not a huge issue. You can usually put more rounds on target in a given amount of time with rapid semi auto fire vs full auto. The mini is a semi auto carbine shooting an intermediate cartridge and they do make a full auto version.

68DARKHORSE
02-12-2012, 15:20
I was just thinking about how Romey wants to impose the same ban that he signed in Mass on a national level. It looks like the Mini 14 can be banned if you put a pistol grip on it.

"Assault rifles vs. "Assault weapons"

The term assault weapon is a United States political and legal term used to describe a variety of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features generally associated with military assault rifles. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified the definition of an assault weapon. It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine containing more than 10 rounds, and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Primary pistol grip
Forward grip
Threaded barrel (for a muzzle brake or a suppressor, commonly called a silencer)
Barrel shroud

The assault weapons ban did not restrict weapons capable of fully automatic fire, such as assault rifles and machine guns, which have been continuously and heavily regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed. Subsequent laws such as the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 also affected the importation and civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms, the latter fully prohibiting sales of newly manufactured machine guns to non-law enforcement or SOT (special occupational taxpayer) dealers.

WoodenPlank
02-12-2012, 15:32
Yes and no. The full auto or lack of is not a huge issue. You can usually put more rounds on target in a given amount of time with rapid semi auto fire vs full auto. The mini is a semi auto carbine shooting an intermediate cartridge and they do make a full auto version.

An assault rifle, by definition, is capable of full auto or burst fire. If it can do neither, it can not be an assault rifle. An "assault weapon" is a term thunk up by the anti-gun crowd to demonize rifles that LOOK like assault rifles by making the uninformed think they are capable of full auto fire.

I was just thinking about how Romey wants to impose the same ban that he signed in Mass on a national level. It looks like the Mini 14 can be banned if you put a pistol grip on it.

"Assault rifles vs. "Assault weapons"

The term assault weapon is a United States political and legal term used to describe a variety of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features generally associated with military assault rifles. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified the definition of an assault weapon. It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine containing more than 10 rounds, and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Primary pistol grip
Forward grip
Threaded barrel (for a muzzle brake or a suppressor, commonly called a silencer)
Barrel shroud

The assault weapons ban did not restrict weapons capable of fully automatic fire, such as assault rifles and machine guns, which have been continuously and heavily regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed. Subsequent laws such as the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 also affected the importation and civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms, the latter fully prohibiting sales of newly manufactured machine guns to non-law enforcement or SOT (special occupational taxpayer) dealers.

While I realize Mass. has some pretty ass-backwards gun laws, I have yet to hear anything about Romney wanting to institute them on a federal level. Got anything to back this up?

Alaskapopo
02-12-2012, 16:25
An assault rifle, by definition, is capable of full auto or burst fire. If it can do neither, it can not be an assault rifle. An "assault weapon" is a term thunk up by the anti-gun crowd to demonize rifles that LOOK like assault rifles by making the uninformed think they are capable of full auto fire.

While I realize Mass. has some pretty ass-backwards gun laws, I have yet to hear anything about Romney wanting to institute them on a federal level. Got anything to back this up?

I know the defination thank you and there is a full auto version of the mini 14. Frankly I don't care to play the word game with anti gunners. There is nothing wrong with assault rifles full auto or not. By shying away from the word your admitting there is something evil about them and there is not.
Pat

WoodenPlank
02-12-2012, 17:04
I know the defination thank you and there is a full auto version of the mini 14. Frankly I don't care to play the word game with anti gunners. There is nothing wrong with assault rifles full auto or not. By shying away from the word your admitting there is something evil about them and there is not.
Pat

Just call me Technical Thomas. :wavey:

ADK_40GLKr
02-14-2012, 14:00
There is nothing wrong with assault rifles full auto or not. By shying away from the word your admitting there is something evil about them and there is not.
Pat

Thanks, Pat, I agree. But I've been a hunter since the 60's, and still feel most comfortable around what LOOKS like a hunting rifle. (None of those vertical grips [fore or aft] for me. Unfortunately I still have that prejudice.)

That's why I'm liking the looks of the Mini 14.

Ebb27
02-21-2012, 22:49
Considering the Mini is not fully automatic - no, it's not.

There is a full-auto version.

It's called the AC556 and was available to police and military units. As I recall these were pretty common for prison guards.

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as37/mini14ac556.jpg

The select fire lever is just above the trigger.

PlasticGuy
03-06-2012, 12:07
Whether semantics justify the definition of assault rifle or not, it's not a very good one.

I know this will rub some of you the wrong way, but I really can't figure out why people buy them. They're not durable and reliable enough to be a top pick as a fighting rifle. They aren't accurate enough to be a top pick for a varmint or competition rifle. They are fairly popular, but I've never been able to figure out why. They are a lot of fun to shoot. Maybe that's reason enough.

KennyFSU
03-06-2012, 12:19
If I stab you with a pencil it is then classified as an assault pencil lol.

Unless it's a #2...

ADK_40GLKr
03-10-2012, 17:35
I don't care what anybody calls it - this is the NEW YORK STATE definition we have to live with.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5/atf-p-5300-5-new_york.pdf

(note that toward the end ...... are some exceptions to the Assault Weapon Ban.):

22. "Assault weapon" means
(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to
accept a detachable magazine and has at least
two of the following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously
beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed
to accommodate a flash suppressor;
(v) a grenade launcher; or
(b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least
two of the following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously
beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of
five rounds;
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine;
or
(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability
to accept a detachable magazine and has at
least two of the following characteristics:
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to
the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a
barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or
completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger
hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or
more when the pistol is unloaded;
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic
rifle, shotgun or firearm; or
(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames
or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates
of such weapons, in any caliber, known
as:
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies
Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI
and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and
FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-
22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or
similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
(e) provided, however, that such term does
not include:
(i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (A) is manually
operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action;
(B) has been rendered permanently inoperable;
or (C) is an antique firearm as defined in 18
U.S.C. 921(a)(16);
Page 316
(ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a
detachable magazine that holds more than five
rounds of ammunition;
(iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold
more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed
or detachable magazine;
(iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a
duplicate thereof, specified in Appendix A to
section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such weapon was
manufactured on October first, nineteen hundred
ninety-three. The mere fact that a weapon is not
listed in Appendix A shall not be construed to
mean that such weapon is an assault weapon;
or
(v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic
shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or any of the
weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivision
lawfully possessed prior to September
fourteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four.

It sure doesn't sound like the Mini 14 meets the definiition, at least not NY's.

ADK_40GLKr
03-10-2012, 17:44
Sorry, double post.

Glockdude1
03-10-2012, 17:53
If I stab you with a pencil it is then classified as an assault pencil lol.

Unless it's a #2...

What is the #1???

:dunno:

slims00ls1z28
04-03-2012, 01:56
They're not durable and reliable enough to be a top pick as a fighting rifle.

Maybe I need to tell mine to quit shooting everything I feed it and tell my wife's AR to not Jam up so much on Tulammo then.

Rex G
05-02-2012, 16:19
I figure a Mini-14 is about as capable as an AR15, at least at short range, based on owning both. I don't use the term "assault" in reference to my firearms; here in Texas, that term is irrelevant, except perhaps to left-leaning "news" reporters.

concretefuzzynuts
05-02-2012, 21:41
I was just thinking about how Romey

What is a "riffle" and who the heck is Romey?

:dunno:

Hour13
05-02-2012, 21:53

I blame the A-Team for the Mini-14's rep as an inaccurate rifle. :rofl:

"The Ruger Mini-14, always there to shoot the dirt around your attackers!"

Alaskapopo
05-02-2012, 22:43
I figure a Mini-14 is about as capable as an AR15, at least at short range, based on owning both. I don't use the term "assault" in reference to my firearms; here in Texas, that term is irrelevant, except perhaps to left-leaning "news" reporters.

In the short term I would agree however the Mini breaks down with hard use. They don't last well in training classes but they are fine for light use on the ranch.
Pat

Alaskapopo
05-02-2012, 22:44
Maybe I need to tell mine to quit shooting everything I feed it and tell my wife's AR to not Jam up so much on Tulammo then.
Not all AR's are created equal and Tulammo is a sure test of any firearms ability to eat crap and keep working.
Pat