My not so black rifle! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My not so black rifle!

surf
02-12-2012, 12:55
I have been running a lot of rounds through my latest rifle that I just recently put together. I had a prior thread showing pics and a video zeroing the rifle but had not put many rounds through it at that point. I have been shooting the rifle quite a bit and figured I would give some thoughts. I am really liking the overall weight and feel of the weapon in how it handles. Really like the LW profile on the Noveske 16" SS midlength barrel. I had considered going with a UBR for a stock, but like the overall lightweight feel of the IMOD. I think I will however push the front sling attachment further out on forend near the muzzle for more control under extreme speeds of rapid fire. Since it is a 3 gun type rifle I may actually swap out the BattleComp for a bit more compensation. I know it is a 5.56 but I am looking for hundredths of seconds with certain accuracy requirements. Might throw on a Titan SJC.

I didn't go cheap on the rifle, but IMO it was money well spent. While I went with an EOTech for now, the rifle was purpose built to be a 3 gunner and if I do start doing some competitions I will no doubt go with a low power variable.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/DSC_02022.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/DSC_02012.jpg

I will also add that I have one hell of a view at my range! :tongueout:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/N6halfhalf3.jpg

Here are a couple of video's putting the rifle through some drills.

Testing the Geissele S3G shooting the VTAC 1-5

VTAC Half and Half

bmoore
02-12-2012, 13:18
Thats high end gear. How do you like the EOTech? Im on the fence with the 516 or the XPS2.

CD0311
02-12-2012, 13:42
Gun looks bad *****!
Good shooting!!
How do you like the BAD leaver? So far I think it's great!

Glockdude1
02-12-2012, 13:52
Nice rifle!!

:thumbsup:

surf
02-12-2012, 14:55
Thats high end gear. How do you like the EOTech? Im on the fence with the 516 or the XPS2.I will say that I own many optics. Magnified scopes, ACOG, Aimpoints (Comp m4 & T1), EOTech's (553's & XPS versions). Out of all of them my favorite is the EOTech due to the flexibility of the reticle. I have not had durability or battery issues in many years of hard use out of the 553 and no issues since the first release of the XPS line up. As for the EXPS 3-0 that is on this rifle, I very much like it. I have since gone to using the small EOTechs when I need to pick one up. Definitely go with the non NV version if you don't need it. This goes the same for Aimpoint. It will save some money.

Gun looks bad *****!
Good shooting!!
How do you like the BAD leaver? So far I think it's great!I have been running BAD type levers before Magpul even existed so I am a fan of them. :)

Check out my channel in my signature and I have a 3 part series on the BAD type levers.

HAIL CAESAR
02-12-2012, 15:36
You throw a differnat muzzle device on that dude,......and I would covet the heck out of that rifle.:supergrin:

Very nice rifle partner. How are the new EoTech's holding up for you?

Al

bmoore
02-12-2012, 15:55
I will say that I own many optics. Magnified scopes, ACOG, Aimpoints (Comp m4 & T1), EOTech's (553's & XPS versions). Out of all of them my favorite is the EOTech due to the flexibility of the reticle. I have not had durability or battery issues in many years of hard use out of the 553 and no issues since the first release of the XPS line up. As for the EXPS 3-0 that is on this rifle, I very much like it. I have since gone to using the small EOTechs when I need to pick one up. Definitely go with the non NV version if you don't need it. This goes the same for Aimpoint. It will save some money.

I have been running BAD type levers before Magpul even existed so I am a fan of them. :)

Check out my channel in my signature and I have a 3 part series on the BAD type levers.

Awesome thanks, yeah I ruled out the NV almost immediately. I sure hope Im never in a spot where I would need that!

jrs93accord
02-12-2012, 16:03
I have installed a MAGPUL B.A.D. on my last two builds.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/007-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/008.jpg

and

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea%202012/002-2.jpg
currently waiting on a PSA Mid-length Dissipator upper

I really like the ease of function with the lever. I do not know why I have waited this long to use them. BTW, very informative videos.

faawrenchbndr
02-12-2012, 16:16
Looks great Surf!

I like "not all black" black rifles!

mjkeat
02-12-2012, 17:31
I'm interested in your thoughts once you get the Titan mounted.

Any updates on the SD3G?

I like the BAD as well except on my Quentin Defense lower (doesn't fit right) and when I go to set it down (port up) after getting the "clear" from the RO and the bolt slams shut. A non issue for me but the RO likes bolts to remain locked back.

RyanNREMTP
02-12-2012, 17:59
I'm jealous. Wish I could afford a setup like that.

Hopefully in a month I'll have a new not so black rifle to show around.

Cole125
02-12-2012, 18:52
Nice rifle, and good youtube channel. :thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, why do you block out your face? Not that I want to see your ugly mug, but just wondering. :supergrin:

Two_Clicks
02-12-2012, 18:55
Nice build and awesome scenery out at the range!

MN-glock27
02-12-2012, 19:41
Good looking gun!

surf
02-12-2012, 20:58
Thanks guys I am really digging this rifle set up.

You throw a differnat muzzle device on that dude,......and I would covet the heck out of that rifle.:supergrin:

Very nice rifle partner. How are the new EoTech's holding up for you?

AlThe BC is excellent however I really want a bit more compensation. As can be seen at the 20 yard line I am on the ragged edge of accuracy at those speeds. I have run better pure compensators and I think a better pure compensator and I can wring out some really blistering times at distance. Up close is not a big of a deal and I start getting limited by my own ability on how fast I can physically pull the trigger.

As for the XPS series of EOTechs I have 3 of them and I know several people who own and use them since their first release. I have had zero issues nor do I know anyone who owns one that has complained of any issues. This is only a small sample size in the big picture, but I haven't really even heard of, even online, of people having issues with the inverse battery series. You are still going to have the battery life issues and it turning off every 4 or 8 hours.

I'm interested in your thoughts once you get the Titan mounted.

Any updates on the SD3G?

I like the BAD as well except on my Quentin Defense lower (doesn't fit right) and when I go to set it down (port up) after getting the "clear" from the RO and the bolt slams shut. A non issue for me but the RO likes bolts to remain locked back.I am looking at the Titan and a couple others, but I am leaning heavily towards the Titan. As for the S3G trigger it is still in this rifle and running great. Not a single issue in the N4 that it had in the N6 .308 rifle. I really do like and appreciate the trigger and it is the best in its class, however it really doesn't do much more for me than I can do with a USGI. I am wanting to try out Bill Geissele's wifes companies (ALG) single stage trigger. I do a pretty good tune to a USGI trigger also so I am still a bit skeptical if the advantage is worth the price at least for myself.

Nice rifle, and good youtube channel. :thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, why do you block out your face? Not that I want to see your ugly mug, but just wondering. :supergrin:Thanks man, glad you like the channel. Face blurred......Your exactly right. I don't want you to have to see my ugly mug. :supergrin:

Boxerglocker
02-12-2012, 21:15
I still have yet to purchase a name brand Aimpoint micro T1/H1.... only own a PA right now. I'm running a Vortex Viper 1-4 on my DDM4 but your praise of the Eotech particularly the XPS series is really pushing me over to buying one for my new Rainier RUC to be delivered soon.

bullittmcqueen
02-13-2012, 10:12
The BC is excellent however I really want a bit more compensation. As can be seen at the 20 yard line I am on the ragged edge of accuracy at those speeds. I have run better pure compensators and I think a better pure compensator and I can wring out some really blistering times at distance. Up close is not a big of a deal and I start getting limited by my own ability on how fast I can physically pull the trigger.

What alternatives to the BC have you used and liked?

M&P15T
02-13-2012, 10:33
Very nice...looks very light, and Eotechs are great short-range optics for ARs. I love my Eotech, and I don't like the "tube" effect of Aimpoints that I've tried.

pag23
02-13-2012, 18:12
Looks good Surf! Your channel is one of my favorite on Youtube in regards to learning and instruction... I have to get to an intro carbine class.