SKS Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SKS Question

Top_Shot_31
02-12-2012, 12:11
My brother's friend has an SKS that he wants to get rid of. He wants $300 for the following:

25-round magazine
Scope w/ mount but missing a screw
Original stock/sling
2 stripper clips
25 rounds of ammo
Black Monte Carlo stock
I admittedly know zip about SKS rifles and don't know what country this one is from. I am going to see it in about an hour here, so I'm a little pressed for time. I know some of the rifles at the gun shows in my area are around $350 with a laminated stock. I'm really just not sure. I would love an SKS, but I'm already in the market for an AK. I know some of you are SKS experts. What kind of stuff should I be looking for here?

wavetrain75
02-12-2012, 12:28
Can you find out the country of origin? That alone can change the value a hundred dollars.

SKS's are worth the most in their original condition, any add ons like the scope, synthetic stock and extended mag actually make it worth less. If it has all the parts to return it to original, including stock, receiver cover and magazine, and it hasn't been cut up (bayonet mount ground off, for example), $300 is, sadly, is about right for an SKS anymore. A nice Russian would be worth more than that.

If it's Romanian shoot me a PM.

El_Ron1
02-12-2012, 12:37
I'd go for a like new, original, stock SKS if it was me. Chinee or Roosian.

OMEGA5
02-12-2012, 12:48
My brother's friend has an SKS that he wants to get rid of. He wants $300 for the following:

25-round magazine
Scope w/ mount but missing a screw
Original stock/sling
2 stripper clips
25 rounds of ammo
Black Monte Carlo stock
I admittedly know zip about SKS rifles and don't know what country this one is from. I am going to see it in about an hour here, so I'm a little pressed for time. I know some of the rifles at the gun shows in my area are around $350 with a laminated stock. I'm really just not sure. I would love an SKS, but I'm already in the market for an AK. I know some of you are SKS experts. What kind of stuff should I be looking for here?
1. If the 25 round mag isn't a TAPCO, I wouldn't
trust it. 2. I'd want the original mag. 3. There's a trick to changing any
mag that's not original. He'll need to teach you that or learn it from
YouTube. 4. Around here, the going rate for what he's got, if it hasn't
been screwed up, is about $300.
Dano :harley:

ZekerMan
02-12-2012, 14:36
If you really want a AKM forget the SKS, If you really want a SKS spend a little more or shop around to find on that has not been "Bubba Tactified"

02-12-2012, 14:48
Forget the SKS and get the AK you REALLY want.