Wrote up one of my guys for throwing someone on the ground. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wrote up one of my guys for throwing someone on the ground.

TBO
02-12-2012, 13:52
Reviewing an evidence video of a call just for routine testing (of server back up). Observed my Officer "direct a subject forcefully to the ground".

I pulled him in my office and went through the case/video, and wrote him an exemplary performance note.

At the onset of investigative contact between my officer and the suspect, suspect raised his voice and both his hands in a clear combative posture. Officer instantly "directed subject to the ground and secured him".

I commended him on his excellent observation, decision making, tactics, and officer safety. Thanked him for all he does and told him this would be in his file for yearly performance review.

Ajon412
02-12-2012, 14:00
:thumbsup:.........Can't ask for more than that...There are those supervisors that would have either said "nothing" or taken it another direction...

DustyJacket
02-12-2012, 14:13
Good.

I am so glad that I got out before dash cams, remote mikes, uniform cams, cell phone, and so on. Not that I did anything unreasonable (to me) but I would hate to see what it looked like or sounded like.

I have had bystanders living nearby pull out cameras and film 'interactions' at times.

TBO
02-12-2012, 14:18
Good.

I am so glad that I got out before dash cams, remote mikes, uniform cams, cell phone, and so on. Not that I did anything unreasonable (to me) but I would hate to see what it looked like or sounded like.

I have had bystanders living nearby pull out cameras and film 'interactions' at times.
Everyday millions of people walk in and by sausage, steak, chicken, and don't think twice about it, or have any issue with it.

But if they had to see a video on how it's made....

Nothing wrong with how it's made, but it "doesn't look good".

jmho

Dragoon44
02-12-2012, 14:20
Reviewing an evidence video of a call just for routine testing (of server back up).

You wuz snoopin admit it.

:tongueout::rofl:

I bet you used to write use of force reports like,

The suspect became confused and combative suspecting a possible medical problem I immediately assisted him in obtaining a horizontal resting position on the ground......

Vigilant
02-12-2012, 14:23
How about this:

"He bought the ticket, and he got the show".

TBO
02-12-2012, 14:25
"I arrived on scene at 23:12 hrs and exited my squad car. Observed male subject matching description of domestic assault suspect. I approached subject to within talking distance and it was on, cuz!"

nikerret
02-12-2012, 14:41

As much as I hate the world of the recorded, it has saved my butt twice in the last year.

One was where a young female arrestee claimed I had fondled her, the other was a man on at a car deer collision, claimed I said the four letter word for poop that starts with an "s" (and in an abusive tone). Got an attaboy out of both of them from the Sheriff :cool:

msu_grad_121
02-12-2012, 14:52
"I arrived on scene at 23:12 hrs and exited my squad car. Observed male subject matching description of domestic assault suspect. I approached subject to within talking distance and it was on, cuz!"

TBO for the win! :rofl:

seanmac45
02-12-2012, 14:59
Wish you had been my boss, brother.

Most of mine steered way clear of me out of sheer terror.

DustyJacket
02-12-2012, 15:19
claimed I said the four letter word for poop that starts with an "s" (and in an abusive tone).

I got a similar complaint.
It was true. I took my beating.:crying:

txleapd
02-12-2012, 16:56
Reviewing an evidence video of a call just for routine testing (of server back up). Observed my Officer "direct a subject forcefully to the ground".

I pulled him in my office and went through the case/video, and wrote him an exemplary performance note.

At the onset of investigative contact between my officer and the suspect, suspect raised his voice and both his hands in a clear combative posture. Officer instantly "directed subject to the ground and secured him".

I commended him on his excellent observation, decision making, tactics, and officer safety. Thanked him for all he does and told him this would be in his file for yearly performance review.

Out-freaking-standing!

Too many supervisors around here are snakebit, because they have to document it everytime one of their officers uses more force than routine handcuffing. Even the quasi-arm bars I was taught to use back when I went through the academy is now considered "force" which would require documentation. :upeyes:

That kind of thinking leads to guys/gals not using appropriate force when necessary.

Good for you in teaching your officers that reasonable response to resistance is not something to shy away from. That may very well save an officer's life one day. :thumbsup:

LilCop2002
02-12-2012, 17:32

I'm looking. Are you hiring? ... Seriously. :wavey:

Dragoon44
02-12-2012, 17:58
A real admin would have watched that tape and then wrote the officer up for littering when he saw him throw that trash on the ground.

Sharky7
02-12-2012, 18:21
As much as I hate the world of the recorded, it has saved my butt twice in the last year.

One was where a young female arrestee claimed I had fondled her, the other was a man on at a car deer collision, claimed I said the four letter word for poop that starts with an "s" (and in an abusive tone). Got an attaboy out of both of them from the Sheriff :cool:

Criminal charges on either of them?

GumbyDammit
02-12-2012, 19:14
I love that TBO, reminds me of my old capt. I had an "incident" with a customer and called him afterwards to tell him to expect a complaint on Monday morning. I gave him the black & white as honestly and objectively as I could, leaving no room for surprises. Sure enough the guy called to complain and after capt listened to his side, he started his own questioning and ended up chewing the guys ass six ways to Sunday. I learned early on that if I was 100% up front, honest and open, that regardless of making mistakes, my admin would back me till hell froze over. Didn't mean I didn't sometimes get an ass chewing to go along with it, but they've always had my back. That's a great feeling in a job where there is a lot of second guessing and mmqbing.

Trigger Finger
02-12-2012, 19:19
When I first came on the job in 1974 my partner and myself became involved in a serious use of force when we attempted to talk to a huge Hispanic gang member. After we subdued him and transported him to the station my partner, who had about 10 years on the job said he would write the arrest report.

He put "during questioning the suspect showed disrespect to officers and was arrested. The suspect again showed disrespect to the officers in the emergency room of the hospital and was subdued and booked"

I thought, is this all you have to write after you beat the crap out of someone on L.A.P.D. :supergrin:
Now it would be a two or three page arrest report listing anything and everything.

JBaird22
02-12-2012, 20:14
How many of us were taught in the academy to do exactly as TBO said his guy did? But then the streets, bad supervisors and FTO's take that training away from us? I have an officer that routinely hooks people as a control not as an arrest whenever justified. I give him attaboy's routinely.

There are some outstanding guys on this forum.

3Speedyfish3
02-12-2012, 20:21
Brought a tear to my eye, TheeBadOne!

My LT assigned me all the aggressive guys to supervise. I consider myself a buffer. They remind me of...me.

Thanks for being the stand-up supervisor we all want to work for.

SGT Randall

nikerret
02-12-2012, 20:34
Criminal charges on either of them?

From the incident or the complaint?

I had arrested her for a couple of felonies and some nice misdemeanors. Arrested the passenger for a few, as well. Passenger went to jury tiral, guilty on all counts. After his trial, while she was waiting for hers: The allegation came from her attorney, who was not making an "official complaint", he just wanted the bossman to know what his client was saying I had done while he and his client discussed filing the formal compalint :upeyes: The Sheriff looked into it and watched the few hours of video my camera caught, including in-car camera. Attorney and client decided not to file the complaint, in the end. This attorney is known for such antics. She took a plea deal.

The second was just a complaint, made not by the driver of the vehicle that hit the deer, but by his company's maitenance guy who was there to get the vehicle road-worthy, again. No charges recommended from my end.

Mattz
02-13-2012, 04:30
Good for you... I am always puzzled as to why supervisors are quick to document the slightest screw up an officer does, but when they do something that sticks out in a good way, no one wants to document that and put it in their file.

Dragoon44
02-13-2012, 08:23
Good for you... I am always puzzled as to why supervisors are quick to document the slightest screw up an officer does, but when they do something that sticks out in a good way, no one wants to document that and put it in their file.

it is because they have been poorly trained. They think their main job is to catch officers doing wrong and punishing them. The more they can write up the better job they think they are doing.

in short they are managers not leaders.

Mattz
02-13-2012, 13:53
it is because they have been poorly trained. They think their main job is to catch officers doing wrong and punishing them. The more they can write up the better job they think they are doing.

in short they are managers not leaders.

I agree, it's just unfortunate.

cowboywannabe
02-13-2012, 14:04
Everyday millions of people walk in and by sausage, steak, chicken, and don't think twice about it, or have any issue with it.

But if they had to see a video on how it's made....

Nothing wrong with how it's made, but it "doesn't look good".

jmho

i like this quote!!!:cool:

TXCOPPER
02-14-2012, 16:37
Did he yell "it's on cuz" as he did it?