G26 for buggin out Yay or Nay [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G26 for buggin out Yay or Nay

coleslaw
02-12-2012, 15:28
I know it's commonly asked what is the best bug out weapon. But I'm wondering if my decision to bug out with a G26 is a good one or should I opt for something more like the G17? I also own a .45 acp. I have 7 spare 8 round mags totalling 56 rounds of .45 acp I can carry. It may sound like overkill but I'd like to potentially bug out with 100-200 rounds of self defense ammo while still carrying a handgun that's concealable yet service size (I shoot bigger guns better and further).

My Bug out plan has changed drastically since I've been reading the advice in this section and I now decided to take ALL shotgun ammo out of my BUG out BAG. It's just not smart at all for me to carry around a shotgun unless the Zombies have really taken over. I've come to the conclusion with doing history research and examining potential realisitic SHTF situations that my BUG out plan will be to survive long enough to get to a FOB or help center i.e. Red Cross. In a total Gov't collapse or post nuclear war world (if I do survive that) then my plan is to BUG OUT to my parents then BUG IN with my parents.

porschedog
02-12-2012, 15:43
The 26 is a great gun

Get a few 33 round mags and you'll be good to go

PrecisionRifleman
02-12-2012, 15:46
I'd prefer a larger firearm for a "bug out" side arm. Or do as the previous poster mentioned and utilize some high cap magazines with it. I still would prefer a larger pistol for "bug out". One for the longer sight radius, high capacity standard magazines, and better controllability.

cowboy1964
02-12-2012, 15:47
If you want to carry substantial ammo you can't beat 9mm. The difference between 9mm and .45 ACP for 200 rounds is something like 2 pounds or more. That's a lot depending on what else you have to carry. The ammo boxes are also that much larger.

The 26 is more concealable than the 17 but the weight difference is negligible.

308endurdebate
02-12-2012, 15:52
Carry what you can shoot well and which is reliable. I prefer G17.

A BOB is for getting to somewhere you have other resources. 100-200 rounds is really heavy (not including your 7 mags). Personally, think that just your G26, plus all spares would be overkill. If you're putting 50 rounds down range at hostile targets (people or rabid animals), the odds are you aren't going to make it.

Now if you're referring to keeping in your BOV, that's a different story. A BOB filled with 100-200 acp rds, plus mags, plus the real survival gear (food, water, first aid, flashlight, shelter, etc) will be pretty heavy if you have to go any portion under your own power.

If I have my G17, my bag has got 2 additional 17-rd mags. Getting somewhere safe is most often achieved by being the "silent service" - achieve stealth.

pmwglock19
02-12-2012, 17:41
I agree with 308endurdebate if it is not a teotwawki and all your trying to do is get to a bol. Otherwise, you would need to carry, push or pull in a cart everything that you need to survive, and that would include ammo.

UneasyRider
02-12-2012, 17:57
I sympathize with your plight as I recently sold 3 G23's and a Gen 3 G19 to buy 4 G19 Gen 4's. I wanted a common caliber and weapon to illiminate the possibility of grabbing the wrong magazine and keeping the learning curve and muscle memory the same. The Gen 4's have a longer lasting recoil spring that provides less recoil and a smaller grip with greater texture that benifits both my wife and myself.

If I were you I would go with the G19 with the longer barell, longer grip and greater magazine capacity as well as the ability to conceal it comfortably with the right holster. Yes a G17 will be a bit better shooter at distance with the longer barell but not that much better as the G19 is a full size hand gun. I think the G26 is a poor choice because it puts you at a disadvantage in a gunfight (which is why you are carrying it). If you put night sights or a laser on it you will have a major advantage over an adversary who does not too. For a holster I like the Minotaur MTAC which I can wear all day:
http://www.comp-tac.com/images/Black-MTAC-PN.jpg
You are spot on carrying a lot of ammunition. It's good to have enough magazines if you get into a gunfight and the bullets start to fly, you won't want to run out of course so you need to carry some easy to get to magazines. I think that 4 is a good number with a G19 as that gives you 76 rounds and that should be enough on your body and another 5 magazines (75 rounds) in your bag is a good idea and I completely agree with you on the round count, it's what I carry in my bag. I use 2 of these Gould and Goodrich dual magazine carriers on my left side.
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/192/192020.jpg
This much stuff on your belt requires that you wear a decent one. I really like the Wilderness 5 Instructors stitch for it's width, stiffness and infinite adjustability.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages/missingimgs3/wilderness_instructor_belts_m.jpg
I put Laserlytes on mine replacing the rear sights, you don't need a sight pusher but I have one so I used it, it's very quick and simple. The new ones are auto power off and they don't require a special holster or get turned on by your holster or by removing it from your holster.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qxS3Mw5-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
This is a good set up for me, you may have better ideas for you. I thought that I would share this with you as I recently spent a lot of time and money switching out weapons after a thread on this forum convinced me that it was the right thing to do. I am really glad that I did it now, but it was depressing thinking about all of the time and money involved in changing out 4 pistols and the ammunition and accessories that go with them for something new. Anyway it feels good to have it right.

cowboy1964
02-12-2012, 18:38
One thing I forgot to mention, in SHTF situations I would be armed with more than one gun. In that case, the 19/26 combo can't be beat, what with the commonality of platform and magazines. You'd also have some parts swappability in case of breakages.

UneasyRider
02-12-2012, 18:44
One thing I forgot to mention, in SHTF situations I would be armed with more than one gun. In that case, the 19/26 combo can't be beat, what with the commonality of platform and magazines. You'd also have some parts swappability in case of breakages.

I think that your right about the G26 as a backup weapon, right now I use the Keltec .380 but if I can get some range time with a 26 and it conceals well it in my cargo pants, I could be convinced to make the change.

PrecisionRifleman
02-13-2012, 08:32
Seems like a lot of people place a high value on a pistol. While a pistol is important to have in that situation I'd bringing my 870 Police as well as my 700 LTR 308.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

quake
02-13-2012, 09:31
I'm a big fan of G19's and G26's both. I prefer the feel of the 19, but the rational part of my brain makes me think that the G26 may actually be "better" if you could only have one; since it's more concealable without giving up much of anything in the process. Stick on some A&G grip adaptors for using G19 mags in it, and you don't even lose capacity compared to the G19.

I personally prefer the G19, but I don't know that I'd say it's objectively better; just personal preference.

coleslaw
02-13-2012, 09:39
Seems like a lot of people place a high value on a pistol. While a pistol is important to have in that situation I'd bringing my 870 Police as well as my 700 LTR 308.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Thats fine, I strongly believe your BOB and plan has to be tailor made to the individual. It's not that I'm placing a high value on pistols but I have come to the conclusion that me bugging out in the city trying to get to my parents while carrying my 870 isn't the smartest thing for me to do. First off because of the weight, secondly I don't want ANYONE knowing I have food, water, first aid and most importantly a gun. I guess the only way I would take my 870 is if I have my vehicle to get me where I need to go... During rush hour my city is like a parking lot so I can just imagine what it would be like in a emergency situation, that's why I plan on walking to my parents. It's about 8 miles from me now.

RMTactical
02-13-2012, 09:39
Of course the G26 is a good Bug out gun.

It is fairly easy to conceal and that is a huge plus for it right there. It takes all the same mags a G17 would.

I own both of these styles of Glock, and I prefer the G26 over the G17 in almost every way.

coleslaw
02-13-2012, 09:47
Of course the G26 is a good Bug out gun.

It is fairly easy to conceal and that is a huge plus for it right there. It takes all the same mags a G17 would.

I own both of these styles of Glock, and I prefer the G26 over the G17 in almost every way.

With my Trijicons installed I can reach out accurately about 15 yards. I know that's good enough to keep distance between me and threats but are there any other sights that provide a better sight picture radius wise? Do you get what I'm saying?

UneasyRider
02-13-2012, 10:21
Thats fine, I strongly believe your BOB and plan has to be tailor made to the individual. It's not that I'm placing a high value on pistols but I have come to the conclusion that me bugging out in the city trying to get to my parents while carrying my 870 isn't the smartest thing for me to do. First off because of the weight, secondly I don't want ANYONE knowing I have food, water, first aid and most importantly a gun. I guess the only way I would take my 870 is if I have my vehicle to get me where I need to go... During rush hour my city is like a parking lot so I can just imagine what it would be like in a emergency situation, that's why I plan on walking to my parents. It's about 8 miles from me now.

You might want to look into a bicycle for that 8 miles trip.

With my Trijicons installed I can reach out accurately about 15 yards. I know that's good enough to keep distance between me and threats but are there any other sights that provide a better sight picture radius wise? Do you get what I'm saying?

With a short barell weapon it's going to be hard to do any better by changing your sights, and Trijicons are pretty good sights anyway. Even with a laser a pistol is just not going to get you much more distance unless you put your time and money into putting more rounds down range. Keep moving that paper down range... :supergrin:

kirgi08
02-13-2012, 10:22
Practice.'08.

WolfNotSheep
02-13-2012, 10:51
I would stick with the G26, since if you make the gun your every-day-carry then you will always have it with you. I put a +2 mag extension on the flush-fit ten round mag and now I have a small pistol that is incredibly concealable with 13 rounds in it...and a 17 rounder is only a pocket away.

pugman
02-14-2012, 12:27
My Bug out plan has changed drastically since I've been reading the advice in this section and I now decided to take ALL shotgun ammo out of my BUG out BAG. It's just not smart at all for me to carry around a shotgun unless the Zombies have really taken over. I've come to the conclusion with doing history research and examining potential realisitic SHTF situations that my BUG out plan will be to survive long enough to get to a FOB or help center i.e. Red Cross. In a total Gov't collapse or post nuclear war world (if I do survive that) then my plan is to BUG OUT to my parents then BUG IN with my parents.

No way to answer this. I have a G26 and like it.

But where is Mom and Dad's. How far do you need to travel? Are your 2-4 planned routes significantly different? Is there any chance of driving part of it?

I have 3 locations. One is close (25 miles or so) and walking mostly through woods and farmer's fields. The second is about 87 miles as the crow flies but involves skirting at least one major Wisconsin city.

#3 is a 6 hour drive north. Nearly all the walking can be done through rural areas. At a forced march pace it would take me a solid two weeks

For me, its all about speed of response. If I can clear the first 25 miles or so - location #2 is very doable. I can also always disasemble and destroy a weapon i can't carry with me

If its locale #3...I'm bringing substantially more firepower along than a pistol.

coleslaw
02-14-2012, 17:33
No way to answer this. I have a G26 and like it.

But where is Mom and Dad's. How far do you need to travel? Are your 2-4 planned routes significantly different? Is there any chance of driving part of it?

I have 3 locations. One is close (25 miles or so) and walking mostly through woods and farmer's fields. The second is about 87 miles as the crow flies but involves skirting at least one major Wisconsin city.

#3 is a 6 hour drive north. Nearly all the walking can be done through rural areas. At a forced march pace it would take me a solid two weeks

For me, its all about speed of response. If I can clear the first 25 miles or so - location #2 is very doable. I can also always disasemble and destroy a weapon i can't carry with me

If its locale #3...I'm bringing substantially more firepower along than a pistol.

I never really thought of multiple BOL. My parents is about 8 or maybe 9 miles from me. I never really thought about something so bad that I would have to have multiple BOL. In all honesty I think if the situation is that bad that I need a susbential amount of firepower (more than just a handgun) and mutliple places to bug out then I don't really know how long I'd survive.

ArmoryDoc
02-14-2012, 18:41

You lack confidence in yourself. You can't buy confidence in the form of supplementary gear. You are the key here. Not the gun. Get intimate with your tools. Learn how to use them. Learn how to make your surroundings work for you. You have an excellent gun. Now tune yourself up to use your gun and other tools to their fullest potential.

Again, you are the key here. Not the gun.

UneasyRider
02-14-2012, 19:18
I never really thought of multiple BOL. My parents is about 8 or maybe 9 miles from me. I never really thought about something so bad that I would have to have multiple BOL. In all honesty I think if the situation is that bad that I need a susbential amount of firepower (more than just a handgun) and mutliple places to bug out then I don't really know how long I'd survive.

While I would always put a pistol ahead of a rifle in prep purchases I think that you would benifit greatly in having an AR/AK type of force multiplying rifle that takes reasonably cheap ammunition. Then you start talking in how many "hundreds" of yards you can shoot accurately as opposed to the 15 yards that you are currently shooting with your G26.

I always think of it from the point of view of usage. So if I am in an urban environment a rifle will be of much less use than a pistol and if I knew that I was going to a gunfight at the OK Corral I would bring my G19 and a lot of extra magazines and not be carrying my Keltec .380 with a single spare magazine. I'm sure that you know what I mean.

Nutt51
02-17-2012, 09:34
The 26 is a great gun.
If things go bad, I'll be grabbing my bug out bag
with my AR and mags, and carrying a G17, with my
G26 in a pocket or pouch for backup.
I like the 17 and 19 as primary weapons, but if I just
had a 26 with some 17 or 33 round mags., I'd be o.k.
with that and a long gun.

UneasyRider
02-17-2012, 15:52
So on the advice of this thread I bought a Glock 26 this afternoon to give it a try. My normal backup guns are Keltec P3AT's that fit nicely in a standard back pocket however they are 9X17's and need to be clean and wet to insure 100% functionality and Glocks do not, plus they are 9X19's like my Glock 19's.

On first look I like them, I bought the magazine extenders for all 3 magazines that came with it (Gen 4) and it fits nicely in my hand and my wife loves the size.

Next I am off to the range this weekend to see how I like it and searching for a couple of good holsters.

Thanks for the all of the information on this thread, like another thread that put me on all of the same midsized frame Glock, this one is leading me to the G26 as my backup gun.

quake
02-17-2012, 16:35
...I bought the magazine extenders for all 3 magazines that came with it (Gen 4) and it fits nicely in my hand and my wife loves the size...

If those are the +2 extenders, I've never used them but they have (or at least used to have) somewhat of a reputation for popping off. Could be a non-issue nowadays; I have no personal experience with them and it was years ago the last time I looked at them. Just might want to look into it & watch them for a while.

I do use the A&G grip extenders for gap-less use of G19 mags in the G26's, and they work great. Once you put the +2 extenders on the 26, you get 12 rounds with almost the same grip length as the g19:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9351/g19vsg262gripnn0.jpg

So I prefer to just go with the 15 rounds that the actual g19 mags provide. More capacity and no concerns with the +2 extensions. If you have meaty hands, the A&G's can make magazines tend to act like the old nfml mags - the mags don't drop free until you grab them out or shift your grip. I can live with that, the little I use them; but it's something to be aware of. A bigger issue is that you have to be conscious of the pinch-potential with the A&G extenders when doing reloads; you do a quick magazine slap-in, and you can pinch yourself pretty good. For that reason, I only use them on the mags in the gun; not on extra magazines.

JMO, not even sure if there are still issues with the +2's or not.

UneasyRider
02-17-2012, 16:59
If those are the +2 extenders, I've never used them but they have (or at least used to have) somewhat of a reputation for popping off. Could be a non-issue nowadays; I have no personal experience with them and it was years ago the last time I looked at them. Just might want to look into it & watch them for a while.

I do use the A&G grip extenders for gap-less use of G19 mags in the G26's, and they work great. Once you put the +2 extenders on the 26, you get 12 rounds with almost the same grip length as the g19:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9351/g19vsg262gripnn0.jpg

So I prefer to just go with the 15 rounds that the actual g19 mags provide. More capacity and no concerns with the +2 extensions. If you have meaty hands, the A&G's can make magazines tend to act like the old nfml mags - the mags don't drop free until you grab them out or shift your grip. I can live with that, the little I use them; but it's something to be aware of. A bigger issue is that you have to be conscious of the pinch-potential with the A&G extenders when doing reloads; you do a quick magazine slap-in, and you can pinch yourself pretty good. For that reason, I only use them on the mags in the gun; not on extra magazines.

JMO, not even sure if there are still issues with the +2's or not.

No, these are the Shearer grip extenders. They start fairly even with the rear of the grip where the standard magazine fits and extend just enough to let you put your pinky on the grip and get a good handle on it. I like them and the G26 is quite a bit smaller than the G19. Of course I would much rather have the G19, or better yet G17 in my hand but if I can't conceal it, I can't carry it.

kirgi08
02-17-2012, 18:13
I don't have a g26,I have 9 g27s and I prefer the .40sw.I've stored g22 mags for them.My EDC is a gen2.5 g23 and the .40sw is my round of choice.'08.

coleslaw
02-18-2012, 17:23
Thanks for all the responses. I found a Glock 17 gen 4 and at a very affordable price. I will be buying this as soon as the seller emails me back.

Grayson
02-22-2012, 08:08
I give it a "yea." Unfortunately as Katrina showed, any kind of firearm that can't be concealed could lead to serious trouble...! And depending on your size and clothing choices, the G26 can qualify as a pocket gun. Not nearly as subtle as a LCP or P3AT, but a very significant advantage in firepower over those.

IV Troop
02-24-2012, 04:53
In regards to the OP's question, I would pick up a G19 rather than a G26 myself, since I find it easier to shoot well and manipulate during reloads, etc.

Having examples of the pistols mentioned, I would grab a pair of G19s from a kit bag and roll with those, using a couple of G17 mags as my spare ammo carriers. Keep it simple.

Frankly, I would be more concerned about spare socks than spare ammo. Foot care is critical, though not nearly as much fun to talk about.

Aceman
02-24-2012, 05:29
Honestly, doesn't matter IMO.

Whatever you can conceal. Conceal will rule in SHTF / Bug Out.

No one said it had to conceal easily - bug out isn't about everday casual / comfort. I'd prefer the 19, but if 26 works for you, go right ahead.

UneasyRider
02-24-2012, 08:29
Here is the OP:

I know it's commonly asked what is the best bug out weapon. But I'm wondering if my decision to bug out with a G26 is a good one or should I opt for something more like the G17? I also own a .45 acp. I have 7 spare 8 round mags totalling 56 rounds of .45 acp I can carry. It may sound like overkill but I'd like to potentially bug out with 100-200 rounds of self defense ammo while still carrying a handgun that's concealable yet service size (I shoot bigger guns better and further).

I don't see his G17 as very concealable, and not with any comfort. I am a midframe (G19) lover myself.

kirgi08
02-24-2012, 08:36
You can shoulder rig a G17 quite easily.'08.

UneasyRider
02-24-2012, 09:03
You can shoulder rig a G17 quite easily.'08.

I can see that but I live in Florida and we rarely wear a jacket.

RatDrall
02-24-2012, 11:04
I don't see his G17 as very concealable, and not with any comfort. I am a midframe (G19) lover myself.

Lots of people conceal a G17 comfortably, even in hot muggy Tennessee. It only requires a good belt, holster, and to have a midsection smaller around than one's shoulders.

There isn't much difference between a 19 and 17, aside from 1/2" difference in the barrel and grip length. Carry whatever fits your hand best, and dress around it...

UneasyRider
02-24-2012, 14:59
Lots of people conceal a G17 comfortably, even in hot muggy Tennessee. It only requires a good belt, holster, and to have a midsection smaller around than one's shoulders.

There isn't much difference between a 19 and 17, aside from 1/2" difference in the barrel and grip length. Carry whatever fits your hand best, and dress around it...

While I am sure that it works fine for you, I just can not see it any more than I can see myself concealing a target shooting pistol. I am looking for the best possible compromise in the largest pistol that I can conceal in the most situations.

glockguerilla
02-24-2012, 20:25
Sure. G26 with extra mags (perhaps 4-5 17 mags). Just keep good practice routine and lots of ammo.

coleslaw
02-26-2012, 06:46
Sure. G26 with extra mags (perhaps 4-5 17 mags). Just keep good practice routine and lots of ammo.

I am now at 3 G19-15 round mags with the X grip extensions and two ten round G26 mags. I think one more G19 or G17 mag with a X grip extension will do. I just walked a two miles with my BOB and 48 rounds of .45 acp along with my 65 rounds of 9mm starts to get heavy after 2 miles.

CWPINST
02-26-2012, 12:23
Lot's of discussion here about handgun choices. While that is important, if you are depending on a handgun, you are almost out of options. Far better for a frontline weapon is a short barrel AR-15 with telescoping stock, or an AK-47. It extends engagement distance by hundreds of yards. Also on my short list would be an 870 with buckshot & slugs as well as a long range rifle such as a heavy barrel .308.

nightwolf1974
02-26-2012, 13:59
To start with, if you're in the BUG OUT phase a larger and more accurate sidearm won't hurt. A G17 or G21 is your best bet. 17 rounds of 9mm(G17) or 13 rounds of 45(G21) is a good defense plan.

When the SHTF, a good shotgun or rifle is always good. But a full size Glock is always good everyday carrying or self defense. Which ever route you go, get at least 6 extra factory hi-cap mags.

Arby238
02-26-2012, 14:22

This is the Combo I carry. The 15 round mags for the 19 fit in the 26. So you do not need the mag extentions, for good hand grip. With pratice you can shoot them both as good.

Kingarthurhk
02-26-2012, 15:27

It all depends on where you are going.

redbrd
02-26-2012, 19:22
I like the 26 but prefer the 19. I find I shoot it better at longer distances (15m +). I would consider that if you do have to make it through a city you may need something that has more range than a pistol. Average road is wider than 15m. Maybe bug in for a couple days and see if the roads clear, before you bug out on foot.

G17gen3
02-26-2012, 19:38
I have the G26 and G17. Both are great but the G26 is my carry weapon. I am nearly as accurate w/ it and like shootin' it. You be doing great w/ a G26 but just keep some extra mags for just in case. I have 6 hi-cap mags for my G17 (that's a bit over 100 rnds fully loaded) and honestly that's not too overly heavy IMO. I do carry that in my BOB w/ the plan of putting in my hip when needed. I always have the G26 on though.

UneasyRider
02-26-2012, 20:15
This photo from CompTac does a good job of showing the different sizes. I have found the the 26 with a Scherer finger extender is quite excellent for getting a good grip on the weapon while shooting, without it I am not a fan. I do not like the Glock (or anyone elses) magazine extenders that add rounds at all as I could be carrying my Glock 19.

My opinion since purchasing a G26 and owning both is that the G26 with the Scherer is excellent except that you are missing 5 rounds.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/images/Belt-Slide.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/235/235202.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v1to8Izmgac/TOBOKMMkx_I/AAAAAAAAABY/LfgT__6O-Go/s400/Glock+26+%25233.jpg

ChuteTheMall
02-26-2012, 20:31
My favorite semiauto pistol is my G17, but my most-often carried pistol is my Pf9.

For bugging out with only one gun, I'd compromise and take my G26 over any other single pistol.

As reliable as any Glock, more concealable than the G17, more shootable than the Pf9.

MarkM32
02-26-2012, 20:56
This photo from CompTac does a good job of showing the different sizes. I have found the the 26 with a Scherer finger extender is quite excellent for getting a good grip on the weapon while shooting, without it I am not a fan. I do not like the Glock (or anyone elses) magazine extenders that add rounds at all as I could be carrying my Glock 19.

My opinion since purchasing a G26 and owning both is that the G26 with the Scherer is excellent except that you are missing 5 rounds.

The largest of the 3 isn't the full size, it's PT. I personally carry a G17 daily and can conceal it just fine. I live in Virginia so I experience all 4 seasons and have no problem concealing in the warmer seasons. I use a Blackhawk CQC concealment holster with the extra mag holster built right in, and it works perfect. I also have a SERPA paddle and drop leg holsters for it. Works great any of the 3 ways. Plus, 35 rounds is more than enough for the common SD situation. As far as BO, think about what you'll be wearing. Depending on where you are, you'll have different attire. That will also play a part in what you want to carry and how easily it's concealed.

RatDrall
02-27-2012, 04:30
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v1to8Izmgac/TOBOKMMkx_I/AAAAAAAAABY/LfgT__6O-Go/s400/Glock+26+%25233.jpg

Beautiful! Love the grip tape, with the OD frame...

UneasyRider
02-27-2012, 07:45
Beautiful! Love the grip tape, with the OD frame...

Thanks, but I just grabbed this pic off of a quick google search for a G26 with Scherer, mine is a Gen 4 solid black... I like the OD weapon too.

Glockworks
02-27-2012, 13:12

Interesting thread. One EMP air burst from any number of bad countries over our heads and we are living this scenario, and there is little we can do to stop it. Now, I would prefer
the G26 over the G19/17 if I had to have just one. Main reason is the G26 easily accepts all the others magazines with zero modifications needed. Thus it is easier to keep fed. If there is a huge shoot out, I'll try to bug out, as this is not a game where I just hit reset and start over. Stay low, my handgun is for last ditch stands, not long range shoot outs.

nightwolf1974
02-27-2012, 17:11
Interesting thread. One EMP air burst from any number of bad countries over our heads and we are living this scenario, and there is little we can do to stop it. Now, I would prefer
the G26 over the G19/17 if I had to have just one. Main reason is the G26 easily accepts all the others magazines with zero modifications needed. Thus it is easier to keep fed. If there is a huge shoot out, I'll try to bug out, as this is not a game where I just hit reset and start over. Stay low, my handgun is for last ditch stands, not long range shoot outs.

True, a rifle is the best for long range engagements. There is an old saying abouts cops, " They carry a sidearm in case they run into trouble, they carry a shotgun when they are expecting it!" I fully realize that not everyone can hit a mansize target at 250 yds with a handgun like some( me ,my father, my uncle,ect.) and a metal or paper target isn't shooting back either. That being said handguns are genearlly for close range and last ditch. BUT, they should never be completely ruled out as a solo defensive weapon.

Warp
02-27-2012, 18:10
I haven't read the replies, but here is my $0.02:

Your EDC pistol ought to be serviceable as your bug out or SHTF firearm. If your EDC isn't trustworthy for a SHTF (with another spare mag or two, perhaps) you shouldn't be trusting your life with it on a daily basis anyway.

I carry a G26. I keep spare magazines in the vehicles. Sure, I'd rather have something bigger and more powerful, but the G26 will do just fine.