New guy with a holster question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a holster question

mustangdan
02-12-2012, 18:08
Hello everyone

Please allow me to intoduce myself. My name is Dan and well Im very new to ccw. I have a question that im sure has been asked over and over, I just thought that I could get some advise from everyone. My wife purchased my 1st handgun for me for Christamas, Its a Glock 21sf and I love it. This is going to be my daily carry soon as I recieve my ccw. Anyway my question is what do you all recommend of an IWB holster. I have looked at Comp-Tac and really like those, Galco as well. Any feed back from you all would be a huge help

Thank You for any and all the help

Dan

majordmb
02-12-2012, 18:11
Try Tommy Theis Holsters. Very good holster and carrys the weight very well.

mustangdan
02-12-2012, 18:12
major
thank you ill check them out
do they have a web site

The Retired Sarge
02-12-2012, 18:47
I swear by Comp-tac and will be ordering two more tomorrow morning. For IWB I use the Infidel. Bill

Streetglider08
02-12-2012, 18:56
http://theisholsters.com
So many holsters to look at in that style.
Galco king tuck
White hat holsters maxtuck
Cross breed super tuck
Shield holsters
Comp-tac
tommy theis

I'm sure I missed some. But honestly. I recommend googling all of those holsters and check them out. I watched YouTube videos on almost all of them. I ended up going with tommy theis holster. Great price and great reviews. Good luck choosing and let us know what you pick. There are also SO many threads on this topic to read reviews of the different makers.

I also use a galco stow n go for short trips and around the house.

ssharber
02-12-2012, 19:10
Having carried for some time now, I can attest to the fact that the search for a comfortable holster has taught me this: what suits one person, or even a majority of people, will not necessarily be a guarantee that you will find it comfortable. I have a drawer full. Galco's, G & G's, custom made holsters, Don Hume, ( I really like the Don Hume line), etc. Doing alot of research, and if possible finding a local gun shop which carries a wide variety where you can look at them and even try them on would be a plus. About halfway down this page http://www.handgunlaw.us/c-links.html there are links to many many holster manufacturers. Good luck with your quest and welcome to the world of Glocks and CCW.

tommytrauma
02-12-2012, 19:58
When you get your holster (whatever you decide on), also get a good belt intended for handgun carry. i can't count the times I've heard variations of "this holster sucks" when the belt was actually at fault.

I'm running a Comp-tac CTAC on an Ares ranger belt, and love the combination. YMMV.

DaneA
02-12-2012, 20:12
Crossbreed in horsehide. There are several others like that but make sure you get horsehide.
I have 2 Crossbreeds and they are serving well. Their customer service is excellent as well.
www.crossbreedholsters.com

GenoTac Ind.
02-12-2012, 20:19
When you get your holster (whatever you decide on), also get a good belt intended for handgun carry. i can't count the times I've heard variations of "this holster sucks" when the bewlt was actually at fault.

I'm running a Comp-tac CTAC on an Ares ranger belt, and love the combination. YMMV.

Just pushing the point of Tommytrauma, get a good stiff belt. Don Hume makes some good stiff garrison belts that run at a good price. Get a good belt.

Now on the holster question. All the suggestions above are great. But you will not be satisfied with just one holster. I have 12 off duty holsters, and have 5 duty holsters. There will not be one that will fit all your needs. You will have to try all of them and find that one that is perfect for your carry needs on that certain day. Be ready to spend the money on multiple holster. Also did I say get a good stiff belt?

xmanhockey7
02-12-2012, 21:10
Get a good carry belt.

911brute
02-13-2012, 02:06
You said... "STIFF"

beforeobamabans
02-13-2012, 15:55
Crossbreed in horsehide. There are several others like that but make sure you get horsehide.
I have 2 Crossbreeds and they are serving well. Their customer service is excellent as well.
www.crossbreedholsters.com

I will second this recommendation for the G21. It's not a pretty holster (I have one for my G30) but it does a great job with large, heavy pistols. It spreads the weight out and is very adjustable for height and cant which is very important. Because if it's adjustability, you can find the comfort zone in a variety of positions on a variety of body types. I generally prefer custom leather but for a new user who needs something that works out of the box while you learn about other custom options, you really cant go wrong with CBST.

yamen1999
02-13-2012, 18:49
When choosing a holster allot has to do with your body shape. I'm 5'9 at 185 slim build. I carry my G21 around the 4 o'clock position. My holster is a tucker cover up. http://tuckergunleather.com/coverupiwb.html. My friend who has a keg instead of a six pack was uncomfortable using my tucker in the same position. He went to a crossbreed with 2 mounting points and carries at the 4 o'clock position just fine.

You may want to look into the Hex sight system. http://goshen-hexsite.com/ It's a combat sight system that I find works extremly well when shooting on the move. It takes alittle time to learn how to use it, but Tim at Goshen Hex sight is a great tutor over the phone.

A good gunbelt is a must. They are not overly expensive, but are worth their weight in gold.

You may need to change your manner of dress. I had to go from tee shirts to button down mechanic work shirts. Some people do fine with tee shirts and golf shirts. Again it depends on your build.

Last but not least get traing by a professional. Were do you live?

mustangdan
02-14-2012, 07:48
thank you everyone
for all the input on a good IWB holster
looks like im goona be checking a lot of different one before i buy

yamen i live in a suburb just north on denver
and i am working on classes before my 21 goes anywhere

again thanks everyone
im sure ill have a bunch more questions

dan

Streetglider08
02-14-2012, 08:07
Here add this one to the list. They look great. Wish I would of seen these before ordering mine.
Oldfaithfulholsters.com

kantor99
02-14-2012, 15:10
I just received a Remora clipless IWB holster for my Para Carry 6. The material it's made of stays in place by itself and it's very comfortable. There's no weight hanging on your belt and they're priced around $25-35. I'd recommend you take a look at : http://remoraholsters.com/

larson1122
02-14-2012, 15:23
I ordered one from Andrews custom Leather not too long ago. Have heard nothing but great things about his work.
http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

eruby
02-16-2012, 12:26
Hello everyone

Please allow me to intoduce myself....+1 on Theis holsters

And welcome aboard Dan, you're obviously "a man of wealth and taste"

mustangdan
02-16-2012, 14:08
:rofl:
thanks eruby
that was a good laugh
"ive been around for a long long year"
you can tell that by the gray hair

anyway
again thanks everyone for all the pointers
im checking all the holster everyone has suggested

ill keep eveyone posted
on the 1 i go with

one more quick question
ive heard the 21sf is to large for daily carry
is that true or just opinion?

dan

SCmasterblaster
02-16-2012, 14:22
Unless you already have it. I'd recommend some good self-defense training to go along with your CCW permit.

mustangdan
02-16-2012, 14:38
masterblaster

good suggestion
the self defence stuff ive got covered
thats a very good point

you know and this is for everyone
i belong to alot of forums
mostly car forums thus the name hint hint
this forum by far has been the most freindly and informative forum i belong too

thanks again
d

eruby
02-17-2012, 05:46
... one more quick question
ive heard the 21sf is to large for daily carry
is that true or just opinion?

danIMO it's just opinion. With the right holster, and a good gunbelt, any handgun should fine.

racer88
02-17-2012, 07:11
Just another +1 for Crossbreed Supertuck and Whitehat Maxtuck. I've got one of each. Can't go wrong either way. But, I like the custom kydex printing that Whitehat offers. Here's mine:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/holsters_12-09-11_0009.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/holsters_12-09-11_0010.jpg

Also +1000 on getting a REAL gun belt. It's critical for total holster comfort and performance.

Lagrange Glock
02-26-2012, 19:58
Many great holsters already mentioned.

Galco V-Hawk IWB leather belt loop as is common. But can also be configured for TUCKABLE IWB.

Safariland/Bianchi now make a leather outside, Kydex inside for IWB and features a thumb break for retention.

Also among the G-Talk Community: The Swinkster & X-Concealment make great Kydex holsters for OWB but conceal under shirt or jacket.

Need a nice looking dress belt for business or work? Check web site "The Belt Man". He makes beautiful belts for dress clothes that support the weight of your gun.

Be sure and get to know the laws of your state and states you may travel through regarding CCW and weapons in motor vehicles. State laws vary a lot!

Good luck!

Shoot safe, shoot straight, & be dangerous!
Julian :supergrin:

jeffyjeff
03-03-2012, 20:13
+1 crossbreed horsehide, cant recommend it enough. i'm sure anything in the same style is good as well.