Another "accidental" shooting... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another "accidental" shooting...

arayme
02-12-2012, 21:49
... at church!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article1215174.ece

Zambrana took the precaution of removing the gun's magazine, the Sheriff's Office said — but did not realize a round was still in the chamber.

"As he was showing him the safety features of the gun, it went off and went through the wall and shot the victim," Barreda said.

:brickwall:

TBO
02-12-2012, 21:54
Prayers for the injured and her family.

Caver 60
02-12-2012, 22:04
Tragic, but....

This guy had a CCW permit and was a security officer? Yet this was an accident? That's not what I'd call it.

xmanhockey7
02-12-2012, 22:06
Always chamber check. Always. Even after I've chamber checked, I chamber check.

cowboy1964
02-12-2012, 22:07
If you call pulling the trigger an "accident".

This is also why one of the safety rules is "knowing your backstop and what's beyond".

gunowner1
02-12-2012, 22:35
Who goes in a closet at ttheir church to show someone there gun? Wouldn't it have been better to tell the young man to join him at the range sometime? It's ashame these things happen.

Dragoon44
02-12-2012, 22:37
Someone showing someone else their unloaded gun and fires off a round, gee what a surprise.

JuneyBooney
02-12-2012, 22:39
Prayers for the injured and her family.

I agree. Prayers for the girl and her family. That is a tragedy.

Dragoon44
02-13-2012, 00:14
While the shooting was undoubtedly unintentional it was hardly an accident. It was the result of an immature individual with a gun who was not grown up enough to understand a gun is not a conversation piece or for show and tell.

It is a deadly weapon and careless (and unnecessary) handling of it has resulted in tragedy.

NEOH212
02-13-2012, 01:39
While the shooting was undoubtedly unintentional it was hardly an accident. It was the result of an immature individual with a gun who was not grown up enough to understand a gun is not a conversation piece or for show and tell.

It is a deadly weapon and careless (and unnecessary) handling of it has resulted in tragedy.

:agree:

JuneyBooney
02-13-2012, 01:48

Absolutely correct.

Patchman
02-13-2012, 06:46
Events like this never sets a good impression.

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery to the little girl.

sixgun2
02-13-2012, 07:35
Makes me wonder if this fits the bill. Although very sad
1) cash in hand
2) buys gun
3) removes from carry case
4) immediatly holsters gun
5) throws carrying case out with with operating instructions which contain warnings that imply that improper handling or operation of the firearm can an will cause serious injury or death.

ca survivor
02-13-2012, 07:40
Always chamber check. Always. Even after I've chamber checked, I chamber check and then dry fire to a safe place.

DannyII
02-13-2012, 08:34
At a gun shop, even if the clerk JUST checked the chamber in front of me, once it's in my hand, I check the chamber. I trust only me. I do this whenever handling any firearm. It's an easy habit to ingrain. Touch weapon, check chamber.

No excuse for improper gun handling.

redbaron007
02-13-2012, 09:29

+1

:wavey:

red

Yang332
02-13-2012, 09:51
I'm wondering what Ruger 9mm model this was. I'm thinking a P- Series. The SR9 and the LC9 both have a "loaded chamber" indicator. This is a really noobie mistake he made of not double checking the chamber.

Prayers to the gal.

SCmasterblaster
02-13-2012, 10:16
I wonder if there are as many traffic accidents as there are gun "accidents?"

:shocked:

fuzzy03cls
02-13-2012, 10:18
No charges were filed.
There should be. No excuse. I had some church members I know want to "see" my gun. I tell them no. Come the range with me. Only time my gun is seen is for practice, cleaning or SD use.

ColdSteelNail
02-13-2012, 10:54
There should be. No excuse. I had some church members I know want to "see" my gun. I tell them no. Come the range with me. Only time my gun is seen is for practice, cleaning or SD use.
Right on. If you have a firearm you are responsible if a bullet is fired. No excuses.

AA#5
02-13-2012, 11:11
I'm wondering what Ruger 9mm model this was. I'm thinking a P- Series. The SR9 and the LC9 both have a "loaded chamber" indicator. This is a really noobie mistake he made of not double checking the chamber.

Prayers to the gal.

If someone fails to check the chamber, I doubt they'd check the loaded chamber indicator.

Gunnut 45/454
02-13-2012, 11:17
Dragoon44
Wise words to live by!:supergrin:

arkdweller22
02-13-2012, 11:30
My prayers for Hannah Kelley and her family. I hope she makes a speedy recovery with no ill effects from her injuries.

Mr. Zambrano should be charged; I believe Florida law has provisions for reckless endangerment. This should be the charge at the very least. However, I pray for him as well, his conscience will torment him for a very loooong time after this.

This should be a lesson to all of us. It's easy to call Zambrano an idiot or somesuch other insult; but the truth is that this could happen to any gun owner who attains a level of comfort with weapons that allow him/her to brush off the most basic gun safety rules. Think of this tragedy and others like it every time you touch a firearm. Take the lesson from this and pray for the victims. Drill the firearm safety rules into the mind of anyone we have the privilege of teaching about firearms. Most importantly drill it into your own mind. It's all we can really do to avoid this in the future.

eracer
02-13-2012, 12:39
1) cash in hand
2) buys gun
5) throws carrying case out with with operating instructions which contain warnings that imply that improper handling or operation of the firearm can an will cause serious injury or death.But all the safety devices and safety warnings that Ruger puts in and on their guns is supposed to prevent things like this from happening.

And the guy had a permit, which requires safety training.

Moral of the story? There is no substitute for personal responsibility.

Rumbler_G20
02-13-2012, 12:46
Or this:

1) Buys gun
2) Shoots some paper on a static range.
3) Attended a two to four hour concealed carry license class.
2a) Shoots some more paper on a static range. Maybe.
4) Thinks themselves competent and capable to carry pistol for defensive use.

Either one is a scenario that is a disaster just waiting to happen.:dunno:

1) cash in hand
2) buys gun
5) throws carrying case out with with operating instructions which contain warnings that imply that improper handling or operation of the firearm can an will cause serious injury or death.

Dragoon44
02-13-2012, 12:48
Lack of respect for the destructive potential of a deadly weapon eventually leads to careless handling of same.

gommer
02-13-2012, 13:11
I wonder if there are as many traffic accidents as there are gun "accidents?"

:shocked:

Yaup, quite a few more - actually.

Either one can be very tragic - but every time there is a firearm injury there is blood. Many times your life can be dramatically changed in a motor vehicle accident and there be no blood at all.

The perception of those two are very different. If you don't bleed, surely you are going to be fine - that is the typical perception as has been my experience.

Thus, firearm accident-injuries are perceived to be more dramatic and concerning.

Something like a monster in a closet that can come out and get you anytime, tearing you to bits, and you won't even see it coming.

It's like comparing a shark to the flu virus. While a shark may tear you to bits in good ol' gory fashion - that probably happens a few dozen times a year or less in the population of the entire world. While all the time the flu will kill tens of thousands around the globe and do so seemingly unnoticed.

Prayers for that poor girl. It's certainly not fair to be the victim of anothers stupidity. Been there, done that - if she recovers I hope she can forgive - it's hard to let go of that, and even harder to hold on to it.

TKOFaith
02-13-2012, 15:40
Always chamber check. Always. Even after I've chamber checked, I chamber check.

^^^This.... And after I've chamber checked twice... I chamber check again!

After I see the round eject from the chamber I cycle the slide three times, slowly enough that I can see into the chamber. If the handgun is being put away in a lockbox I pull the trigger (after the triple check!) just so there's no mistaking that the firearm is NOT in a position to fire. Then I recheck the chamber, when the firearm is removed from the lockbox, and BEFORE I load it. You can't be too careful!

TexasFats
02-13-2012, 18:29
Since when is rank, overt stupidity classified as "accidental"? Genetic? Maybe. Criminally negligent? Ought to be. That bozo needs to loose his right to carry.

Misty02
02-13-2012, 18:49
Lack of respect for the destructive potential of a deadly weapon eventually leads to careless handling of same.

And the consequences of careless handling can destroy many lives, including the person that did the careless handling. Living with something like that in one’s conscience must be beyond what most people can handle.

Caver 60
02-13-2012, 19:25
One other thing I've only seen hinted at above. When you pull the trigger (and he did pull the trigger didn't he) even though you know it's unloaded and you just chamber checked it, BE DURN SURE IT'S POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

Schrag4
02-13-2012, 23:43

Prayers to the gal.

The SR9 series has a magazine disconnect as well, so unless it was removed (I removed mine) then it shouldn't have fired.

I read this story earlier today, and it really makes me angry. Tragic, sad, and totally, 100% avoidable.

Scott3670
02-14-2012, 00:47
Okay, so I'm jumping in late here but I just had to add my two cents.

Every time I am at at a gun store I ALWAYS check the chamber to verify that the gun is unloaded, and I also ask for the salesperson to confirm it for me. I get a lot of stares and on occasion some truly stupid looks but guess what? I have never had any issues in almost 30 years of handling firearms. And for the record, if I get asked about my guns when I'm at the range I behave the same way - every damn time. Guns are not toys!

Normally I would add the "play stupid games win stupid prizes" caveat here but in this case a shooting occurred that is a tragedy. Not an accident in any case but still a tragedy.

arayme
02-18-2012, 13:28
I'm sorry to report that Hannah Kelley passed away this morning.

http://oldnortheast.patch.com/articles/pastor-s-daughter-dies-after-shooting-at-church

Please keep her family and her friends in your prayers.

arayme

RussP
02-18-2012, 13:44
I'm sorry to report that Hannah Kelley passed away this morning.

http://oldnortheast.patch.com/articles/pastor-s-daughter-dies-after-shooting-at-church

Please keep her family and her friends in your prayers.

araymeAmen...

robert91922
02-18-2012, 13:47
...members I know want to "see" my gun. I tell them no. Come the range with me. Only time my gun is seen is for practice, cleaning or SD use.
The same do I. Even on hunting trip in woods I never unholster my Glock 20 or Taurus 44 to show it to some fellow hunter who wants to "see" it. I say: " If you see me pull this gun out before end of hunting trip and outside Safety Area, grab your weapon as well cause we're in kinda danger"

Prayers for the family.

TBO
02-18-2012, 14:05
Prayers for the family.

HeliGlock
02-18-2012, 14:35
So Sad. Prayers to the Family.

Brian Lee
02-18-2012, 14:43
Tragic, but....

This guy had a CCW permit and was a security officer? Yet this was an accident? That's not what I'd call it.

I can't call this kind of irresponsible stupidity an accident either. It's exactly the sort of thing that calls for charges on some sort of criminal negligence, because it's NOT something that could have happened to just anybody. It was a carelessly caused incident, not an accident.

HeliGlock
02-18-2012, 14:47
Prayers go out to the Family at there time of need.

steveksux
02-18-2012, 15:04

Once again, Dragoon says it better than I could have...

Prayers for the girl and her family.

What the hell is wrong with people.... stupid, careless, easily preventable incident. :upeyes:

Randy

Brian Lee
02-18-2012, 15:05
Always chamber check. Always. Even after I've chamber checked, I chamber check and then dry fire to a safe place.

Me too. Always. Even if I just watched the other guy check it right before he handed it to me. I still check again myself.

Nobody has a right or a reason to be offended if I choose to trust my own eyeballs more than his - just like I'm never offended if somebody else wants to double check the gun right after I did.

Caver 60
02-18-2012, 23:44
Me too. Always. Even if I just watched the other guy check it right before he handed it to me. I still check again myself.

Nobody has a right or a reason to be offended if I choose to trust my own eyeballs more than his - just like I'm never offended if somebody else wants to double check the gun right after I did.

And add my post number 31.

Glock Fanatic
02-18-2012, 23:55
At a gun shop, even if the clerk JUST checked the chamber in front of me, once it's in my hand, I check the chamber. I trust only me. I do this whenever handling any firearm. It's an easy habit to ingrain. Touch weapon, check chamber.

No excuse for improper gun handling.

:agree: I do the same thing EVERY TIME!!!

HarleyGuy
02-19-2012, 00:03
Such a tragic loss for all.

Condolences to family and friends and I hope they can accept the fact that this unfortunate was not intentional and forgive the owner of the gun.

I know if this was my gun I would have a very hard time coping with this and I wish him well.