Glock vs M&P vs XDm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock vs M&P vs XDm

roknjs
02-12-2012, 22:31
I currently own Glocks and M&P's. I want to go to one brand so I can have some interchangeability with my mags. I know what I like about what I have. To those that have a XDm, why should I give that platform a shot?

travDMH
02-12-2012, 22:33
why should I give that platform a shot?

You shouldn't

HKLovingIT
02-12-2012, 22:48
Here are some vids:

Glock vs. M&P vs. XD - Which is the best? - YouTube

Glock vs M&P vs XD Triggers - YouTube

Teej
02-12-2012, 23:03
I don't know, I kinda like my XD40 having the grip safety.

[i also own a g19 & g17]

bac1023
02-13-2012, 03:08
I prefer both the M&P and XDm over Glock.

bac1023
02-13-2012, 03:09
You shouldn't

:dunno:

I'll take my XDm over my Glocks any day.

stumpjumper
02-13-2012, 05:12
Kind of like the story of Goldilocks-you have to find the one that is "just right" for you- for me it was the M&P series.

oldmarine6869
02-13-2012, 06:12
I prefer "Glock" over both.

jp3975
02-13-2012, 06:18
Try the Walther PPQ instead.

xmanhockey7
02-13-2012, 06:19
I like my XDm a lot. I love my Glock though.

Sheepdog Scout
02-13-2012, 06:22
You should forget them all and go for a Beretta PX4 Storm.:tongueout:

:supergrin:

Sheepdog Scout
02-13-2012, 06:22
Or one of these.

vafish
02-13-2012, 06:26
Haven't tried the xdm, but back when I had my xd I found that switching back and forth between the xd and glock my match scores dropped with both.

I had a lot more invested in glocks with mags, holsters, ect... So I sold off the xd.

I say just pick one and stick with it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CDR_Glock
02-13-2012, 06:38
I have an XDM 9mm compact. If there is someone concerned about safety, it's the safest of the three. The grip safety doesn't require a different hold. However the grip angle is different from a Glock. The cocked chamber indicator is helpful.

I like the XDm because of capacity: 19+1.

Accuracy is the same.
Reliability is the same.
Ease of field stripping goes to my Glocks, because you have to manipulate the grip safety to move the slide back

However, I still prefer my Glocks.

Lifetime NRA Member

Bob Hafler
02-13-2012, 06:41
If I went with one brand of gun it would be a CZ.

glock2740
02-13-2012, 07:01
I own Glock's, M&P's and XD/XDm's. I like them all. :cool:

J_P
02-13-2012, 07:04
I love my m&p45 a lot its an awesome shooter and recoil is great for a .45. On the other hand I do have to say I love my glock 19 more and a big plus for me is being able to completely break the gun down with only using the glock tool. Both are great guns, I cant say much for the XDm I've never shot one.

KarlThomas
02-13-2012, 08:07
I really only like glocks in 9mm, the 26 in particular is the only one I now own after owning 5 glocks. It's the one glock that stole the show for me.

XDms are good shooting guns, but I prefer the M&P, mainly because I like the way it feels in my hand a little better. XDms do have a much sweeter trigger though, at least out of the box.

Teej
02-13-2012, 08:49
OP, I think you are seeing, as with every other GT thread asking for opinions between guns, that the answers you are receiving are just that, "opinions".

Although very useful as a guide it still comes down to your preference.

Case in point example. I have married friends that have been and still are competitive handgun shooters. They both competed with Glocks for years and were state ranked champions.

Currently the husband is competing with an XD and his wife is using an M&P and both are still state ranked champs. The reasons they switched had to do with the grip angle and the feel in their hands. [ Glock was a tad late coming out with changeable backstraps ]

brisk21
02-13-2012, 09:10
Well, if you can go to a range and rent an XD go ahead. You may like it, you may not. I went back and forth between glocks and xds for awhile. I finally settled on glocks and havent regretted it one bit. Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps are all great guns and you just have to pick the one that works best for you.

FLglockdude
02-13-2012, 09:11
I chose the M&P after owning two Glocks and two XDs.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix

tattedglock651
02-13-2012, 09:31
I own a G19 and love it I have shot both a m&p and xDm and they both shoot great and feel great in my hand. For me it was a toss up between the 3 when I bought my glock. I didnt get the xDm cause I didnt need all the toys it comes with for the extra 100 to 150 bucks. If it would have been more near the price point of the glock I would have got the Xdm 3.8 compact. But I chose the 19 instead. The m&p although it felt good and was a little less than glock I feel like I shoot the glock better. Shoot them all side by side and just pick one!

tcruse
02-13-2012, 10:58
I prefer Glocks, have not tried M&P so no opinion. Shot XDM (or should I say XD2000), grip angleis all wrong, much too straight and the high bore axis are not for me. I am sure that you could get used to theangle and compensate for the high bore axis. Just no reason to not pick the proven one. Glock Gen 4 is really something special, veryvery nice.
My second choice would be Ruger SR series.

crazymoose
02-13-2012, 11:15
I've owned and shot just about all the striker-fired polymers out there quite a bit. The only two I believe in for serious use are the Glock and the PPQ/P99. All the rest are a distant second.

IMO, it comes down to Glock for recoil management, and PPQ for trigger, even though the differences are pretty small.

P99er
02-13-2012, 11:23
I currently own Glocks and M&P's. I want to go to one brand so I can have some interchangeability with my mags. I know what I like about what I have. To those that have a XDm, why should I give that platform a shot?

If you want to go with one brand only, and currently own Glocks, why would you even consider the XDm?

Make Glock your primary brand, but keep the M&P's. Then maybe in the future you can get an XDm just for ****s and grins.

gocubs6
02-13-2012, 17:35
I haven't had a chance to get an M&P yet. But, I have an XDM. I had a G19. Still have a G26. Have a CZ P-01 on the way.

I like the XDM in full size. The G26 is sweet and I probably wouldn't get rid of that. But, I'm hoping the CZ lives up to my expectations and may ovetake the other two.

Go w/ what you shoot best with. All three are reliable, top notch firearms. All will serve you well.

bac1023
02-13-2012, 18:39

Yeah, I really need to pick up one of these. :)

roknjs
02-13-2012, 19:19
Here are some vids:

Glock vs. M&P vs. XD - Which is the best? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mtZbusAo_c)

Glock vs M&P vs XD Triggers - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRrppHnxks)

Thanks.

roknjs
02-13-2012, 19:25
OP, I think you are seeing, as with every other GT thread asking for opinions between guns, that the answers you are receiving are just that, "opinions".

Yep. That's what I was looking for. I know the info I get here will be opinion and not necessarily fact, but that's what I was looking for.
Although very useful as a guide it still comes down to your preference. Yes

Case in point example. I have married friends that have been and still are competitive handgun shooters. They both competed with Glocks for years and were state ranked champions.

Currently the husband is competing with an XD and his wife is using an M&P and both are still state ranked champs. The reasons they switched had to do with the grip angle and the feel in their hands. [ Glock was a tad late coming out with changeable backstraps ]

Agree with your post. I have no opinion on the XDm, thats why I asked those in the know their opinion. Being a Glock board I expect the majority to push Glock. I'm just not enamored with the Glock grip angle on any of the full size Glocks. I like my M&Ps, but am thinking of getting a XDm before I make a decision.

I appreciate the opinion of those that have handled all 3

roknjs
02-13-2012, 19:28
If you want to go with one brand only, and currently own Glocks, why would you even consider the XDm?

Make Glock your primary brand, but keep the M&P's. Then maybe in the future you can get an XDm just for ****s and grins.

Because I'm not sold on Glock. The grip angle isn't great. I tend to shoot high with them. I could learn to correct this, I know, but don't believe it's the only choice.

wingspar
02-13-2012, 19:45
I own two Glocks, and was thinking about an M&P. Two different times we have taken my Glocks to the range and shot them side by side with an M&P and an XDm both in 9mm and .40. We both kept coming back to the Glock, so I have made the decision to stick with one system and it is Glock. Thatís me. Not everyone will agree, and not everyone on this forum is a Glockaholic.

hsprincipal
02-13-2012, 19:51
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with having three systems. I have a M&P .40 and love it. I have three Glock gen 4s and one ordered. I love my Glocks too.

roknjs
02-13-2012, 19:52
I own two Glocks, and was thinking about an M&P. Two different times we have taken my Glocks to the range and shot them side by side with an M&P and an XDm both in 9mm and .40. We both kept coming back to the Glock, so I have made the decision to stick with one system and it is Glock. Thatís me. Not everyone will agree, and not everyone on this forum is a Glockaholic.

Thanks. This is what I'm looking for. I want opinion from people witn experience comparing the platforms. Too often people with no experience firing or even handling the firearm are all to willing to chime in. I agree, not everyone here is a glockaholic, but it's heavily weighted that way.

glfpunk
02-13-2012, 20:13
All 3 are good choices, it really only comes down to what fits you best and your own preference. It used to be a huge advantage to Glock was the amount of aftermarket stuff and ease of obtaining accessories and parts for them and while that still is an advantage, there's plenty of aftermarket parts and accessories for all of these for that to not really be an issue.

I've owned two XD's and three Glock's. I prefer the grip angle of the XD. It's more natural. I do like how much lower the Glock sits in my hand though which is why I'll probably always have both. Never owned an M&P. They seem to be great guns, I just have never been drawn to them.

glockin-45
02-13-2012, 20:16

I really like M&P's. But has any other handgun gone through such extreme
torture testing and come out on top, as have Glocks. As much as i like other handguns, Springfield,Sig,HK,etc. My mind always goes back to this question. Any insight.:wavey:

glockin-45
02-13-2012, 20:43
All the answers given are good and i know my post is subjective,as any of them are great as a range gun, night stand home defence or competition.
But i keep thinking as a combat shtf reliable weapon. I do have other handguns than Glock. And when i bring this up with my friend, all i get from him is, well i'm not going through a swamp,water,sand,etc. And i'm like but what if?

Hokiegrass
02-13-2012, 21:11
Yeah, I really need to pick up one of these. :)

Do it.... Do it now....:whistling:

roknjs
02-13-2012, 21:14
torture testing and come out on top, as have Glocks. As much as i like other handguns, Springfield,Sig,HK,etc. My mind always goes back to this question. Any insight.:wavey:

Can't say for the XDm, but the XD underwent some head to head with Glock and won in torture tests. That being said, it was in 1 or 2 tests total and the Glock wins most, but the XD has a pretty good reliability record from what I've read.

FLglockdude
02-13-2012, 21:52

My full size M&P has shot over 3,000 rounds without a single failure. It is utterly reliable. I don't care if it will still run after being buried for a year and dropped out of an airplane because that will never happen. I shoot better with my M&P than a Glock, and I don't have scabs on my hand the next day from slide bite. M&P all the way for me.

jaxxx
02-13-2012, 21:59
$450 for a m&p 4.25 and $580 m&p pro.. Which one a good price?

EL COLONEL
02-14-2012, 07:19
The HK has gone through though testing and if price was no object that's what I would probably carry.....:dunno:

Comedian
02-14-2012, 07:46
Best way to decide, is to rent all of them and shoot them back to back. Only way to know for sure.

DustyDawg48
02-14-2012, 09:56
I've owned and shot all three and the M&P and Glock are probably the most similar. The XDm just felt like a totally different animal, not good or bad or better or worse, just different. The primary difference in not keeping the XDm was the Glock seemed to set lower in the hand and I just shot the Glock better because of that. Whether it was really physics or just my own personal preference it worked the best for me. Then I shot the M&P and that worked even better than the Glock. I'm not about to stop being a Glock fan but the M&P is, right now, my current go to gun.

Rustin
02-14-2012, 12:01
Depends on what you want. I don't think outlandish torture tests should dictate which gun a civilian would purchase. I wouldn't really want the XD but I think any of the three would serve you well. I am at least glad to see that people are open to different guns and not every response was to just get a GLock. I like the M&P but have only shot the Glock. I plan on shooting both (own a 19) then deciding whether or not to stay Glock or switch.

high ground
02-14-2012, 12:25
I stray from Glock every couple years and keep coming back. It would have been much cheaper to have just kept the Glocks and not bought the others just to keep coming back.

candyteggy
02-14-2012, 23:44
glocks in 9mm are the best of all glocks, hated the way XD shoots, but shot a full size XDM 9mm a few weeks back when my friend brought it to the range, man XDM and XD are totally different guns, I'm sold on the XDM fullsize at least.

Feanor
02-15-2012, 00:17
:dunno:

I'll take my XDm over my Glocks any day.

No serious professional will!

Feanor
02-15-2012, 00:27
The HK has gone through though testing and if price was no object that's what I would probably carry.....:dunno:

:yawn: "Ahh" did the OP ask about HK pistols?

bac1023
02-15-2012, 06:34
No serious professional will!

Who said I was a serious pro? :dunno:

I like the XDm better, that's that.

Rustin
02-15-2012, 10:28
Well I got to shoot the M&pP 9c side by side with my Gen4 G19. They were practically identical. I grouped a little better with the M&P but I might have been warming up. I will shoot a couple hundred rounds through both before I decide to trade up. Love both pistols but when I put the NEW RSA in my pistol my brother got a disgusting double feed, rather disconcerting. Needless to say I keep the old spring in. Damn it glock what happened to you?

bac1023
02-15-2012, 10:47
Do it.... Do it now....:whistling:

Should be soon :cool:

boilergonzo
02-17-2012, 12:10
I have opinions, and they are free.

In .45ACP I strongly prefer my XD to my Glock due to size. In 9mm, I view them as equals (different, but overall, equal). I cannot offer guidance on an M&P, as I do not own one.

Some (vafish) chose to go with one platform for familiarity and consistancy. Good idea.
Some (bac1023) prefers the XD for personal (and apparently not professional! :) ) reasons. Perfectly rational. Another (different) good idea.
I like having a few of each. I strongly prefer the XD in .45, and really do not have a strong preference otherwise, as I really like both. I choose NOT to specialize and to have examples of both in my safe. I think that is also a good idea (but will acknowledge that putting enough time into one primary defense weapon to keep good habits strong is a good practice!).

Summary: Uses and preferences drive opinions, and you have seen plenty. In your situation, I do think you should try the XD to see if it suits you better. If I were placing bets, I'd say that already having Glocks and M&P's, if you really want to trim down to one brand, you will likely stick with what you know. That is fine. Based upon the three firearms you are considering, you will be happy, as you can't really go wrong...

roknjs
02-18-2012, 12:09
Well, after all the discussion here and elsewhere, I went to the LGS today and looked a little closer at some XDm's. I like them but I'm not enamored with them yet. I'm keeping my G19 and my G34 for now, but I'm switching to M&P. Ergonomics are just better for me than Glock. I'll eventually try a XDm, but not now.

PaFrank
02-18-2012, 19:12
Well, after all the discussion here and elsewhere, I went to the LGS today and looked a little closer at some XDm's. I like them but I'm not enamored with them yet. I'm keeping my G19 and my G34 for now, but I'm switching to M&P. Ergonomics are just better for me than Glock. I'll eventually try a XDm, but not now.
Go directly to an M&P, pass (on the) XDm.:cool:
You'll like the ergos on the M&Ps........ but..
you may end up stippling the palmswells for more texture. :whistling:

JMO
YMMV

3000fps
02-19-2012, 10:26
The grip safety on the XD is a really big turnoff. I wouldn't carry one unless it was banded down.

The M&P series (recently) has been by far the most reliable handgun for me. I'm now on my 3rd, not one malfunction or issue, even ran right out of the box with no lube.

HKLovingIT
02-19-2012, 10:31

I like the M&Ps quite a bit. Here is my review with photos of the M&P45 Compact:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388140

bac1023
02-19-2012, 10:35
The grip safety on the XD is a really big turnoff. I wouldn't carry one unless it was banded down.

That's the best thing about it.

roknjs
02-19-2012, 11:14
That's the best thing about it.

I learned on a 1911, so I actually like it. That's one reason I'm considering it.

Decguns
02-19-2012, 17:59
I was looking to buy an XD at a gun show last weekend. Having got the chance to shoot several XDs, HKs and MPs before the show... I left with a new FN FNX-9.

Gimp
02-19-2012, 18:48
To find out why you should have bought a SIG in the first place?

TheJ
02-19-2012, 18:55

I own multiples of all of the above and enjoy them all. However, Like bac I too prefer the XDm and M&P slightly over Glock.