AK kid is cluelessly venturing to the dark side.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AK kid is cluelessly venturing to the dark side..

geofri
02-12-2012, 23:35
What would you tell someone who started with AKs and knows nothing about ARs, that wants to possibly start picking up parts here and there to put together an AR in the next year? :dunno:

I know essentially nothing about the AR, except it's a jam o'matic if you don't clean it daily, and and the bolt will eventually crack:whistling:

Is a mixed and matched manufacture low budget rifle asking for a bad first impression and or trouble with assembly and performance?

Hour13
02-13-2012, 00:00
What would you tell someone who started with AKs and knows nothing about ARs, that wants to possibly start picking up parts here and there to put together an AR in the next year? :dunno:

I know essentially nothing about the AR, except it's a jam o'matic if you don't clean it daily, and and the bolt will eventually crack:whistling:

Is a mixed and matched manufacture low budget rifle asking for a bad first impression and or trouble with assembly and performance?

Define "low-budget". We talking Spike's...

... or PlumCrazy? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In all seriousness, I'd suggest a first "low-budget" build be done with all the same manufacturer parts. Lower parts kit matched to lower, upper parts matched to upper. Should eliminate most headaches.

And, there are plenty of AR assembly books/manuals out there... get one!

:wavey:

MrMurphy
02-13-2012, 01:02
Buy yourself a S&W M&P15, or a BCM and get it over with.

Yes, Frankenrifles can be done wrong quite easily.

GlockWheeler
02-14-2012, 12:25
Personally, if it is going to be your first AR, I would recommend buying a higher quality rifle and not cheap out on your purchase. This will likely increase your chances of having a good first ownership experience reliability wise when comparing to the AK you are already likely used to. I would look at BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT or the like when selecting your components, uppers or even a complete rifle. My first AR was a Colt and I have enjoyed Ar's from that day forward.

svtpwnz
02-14-2012, 13:14
Personally, if it is going to be your first AR, I would recommend buying a higher quality rifle and not cheap out on your purchase. This will likely increase your chances of having a good first ownership experience reliability wise when comparing to the AK you are already likely used to. I would look at BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT or the like when selecting your components, uppers or even a complete rifle. My first AR was a Colt and I have enjoyed Ar's from that day forward.

:agree: Get a rifle that is GTG right out of the box that will not create problems for you down the road. Spend some time learning the platform and have fun with it. If you get to a point where you don't like it, you won't have a problem with resaling it quickly and not taking a huge hit on it unlike the lesser brands. With AR's, you get what you pay for.

samuse
02-14-2012, 15:43
If you want to build a P.O.S. so your AKs can be better than an AR, go 'head.

If you buy a good AR you'll understand why every developed nation in the world uses one, and then all your AK stuff be in the classifieds.

Ha!!

DieselNut
02-14-2012, 17:34
I always thought AR's were junk until I bought one. Before that I had only fired DPMS so I guess that's why. My advice is spend money where it counts (bcg, barrel, sights)