Glock doesn't make a single stack 9mm because...? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock doesn't make a single stack 9mm because...?

sharpshooter
02-12-2012, 23:45
Glocks are fat and chunky, even the G26/27 subcompact series. Every major gun maker has come out with small 9/40 pistols geared towards the ccw crowd

Everybody, that is, except Glock. They don't make a mid/small size single stack gun because...?

sharpshooter
02-12-2012, 23:46
The current design does not work on smaller guns?

Metal Angel
02-12-2012, 23:47
Search

Something about rules for imported guns. Also, they do make a single stack .45acp.

sharpshooter
02-12-2012, 23:49
Their single stack 45 is still quite chunky.

G26S239
02-12-2012, 23:54
Actually the 36 is quite slim. I like it.

WoodenPlank
02-13-2012, 00:02
Search

Something about rules for imported guns. Also, they do make a single stack .45acp.

Glock just needs to start making the damn guns in the US already.

MrMurphy
02-13-2012, 00:04
Walther makes a single stack.

And the 36 is no thinner than a 30 in any way that matters.

Glock doesn't make one because Glock Austria doesn't like being told perfection can be improved by Glock USA.

Thus why the Gen 4 backstrap mod was a known possibility when the P99 came out. It took them that long to convince them they'd lose market share (and they have) to everyone else. The M&P's success finally tipped them over.

sharpshooter
02-13-2012, 00:11
A slim 9/40 would sell like crazy! I'd buy one and get rid of my Kahr PM40.

GlockFish
02-13-2012, 00:33
And the 36 is no thinner than a 30 in any way that matters.

That's just crazy talk. The 30 feels like a brick IWB. The 36 feels much more comfortable IWB.

The specs might not look much different, but anyone who has owned both will admit the 36 feels much slimmer.

Javelin
02-13-2012, 01:14
Because... the Gen 4 was so good they now need to make a Gen 5 single stack too? :dunno:

bac1023
02-13-2012, 02:07
Glock doesn't make one because Glock Austria doesn't like being told perfection can be improved by Glock USA.

Sounds about right

southernshooter
02-13-2012, 02:16
Because it takes lots of 9mm to get the job done? Signed...45 shooter. ha:tongueout:

Sheepdog Scout
02-13-2012, 02:54
Because it takes lots of 9mm to get the job done? Signed...45 shooter. ha:tongueout:

Not if I put one right between your eyes.:tongueout:

Bruce M
02-13-2012, 07:20
Maybe because Glock cannot keep up with production of its current models?

Eric2340
02-13-2012, 07:27
It used to be b/c of importation laws (why the smaller guns come w/ grooved triggers and the larger ones come w/ smooth ones believe it or not - the grooved triggers make the smaller guns more "sporting" or "target gun like" - look it up), but now that they can build frames in GA, there is no reason other than stupidity not to do it.

They'd sell every last one.

:(

M&P15T
02-13-2012, 07:29
I think this question has been asked before....

Possibly....

Pretty sure, actually.

HexHead
02-13-2012, 07:38
The 26 makes the minimum number of import points. If they did a single stack version and it weighed just one ounce lighter, it wouldn't qualify for import.

oldnoob
02-13-2012, 07:46
This just my opinion. But I don't think Glock should ever come out a single stack 9/40. The opportunity is already passed. Glock need to stay ahead and not follow someone else (look what happen to Gen 4). If they introduce single stack 9/40 now, they need to compete with other manufacturers that already make reputation on single stack carry pistol (walther, kahr...etc).

Also, whoever draft out the import law need to get shot to came out with this stupid point system that make no sense.

Rumbler_G20
02-13-2012, 07:57
Glock realizes the 9mm is a poor choice for a self defense caliber in untrained/inexperienced hands, and making a single stack in a marginal (at best) caliber would be doing a disservice to those to lazy or disinterested in their own safety to research the truth in the proceeding statement?

I dunno. But I'd like to think they company has some morals.:dunno:

eclark53520
02-13-2012, 07:58
Single stack 9mm?

Uh...no thanks.

It's not difficult at all to conceal a G30 IMO. I have only slightly more trouble concealing a G21. I have yet to enter a situation where pocket carry was a necessity.

So i'm not sure why less capacity is required to carry concealed.

cowboywannabe
02-13-2012, 08:07
if you think the G36 is slim then Glock already makes a slim 9mm in the G19 which is damn near exact same size as G36. they can even use the same holsters.

Eric2340
02-13-2012, 08:12
if you think the G36 is slim then Glock already makes a slim 9mm in the G19 which is damn near exact same size as G36. they can even use the same holsters.

Everyone does not have the same size hands or NEEDS.

................and there's obviously a reason (and a market for it) that the competition DOES make a single stack gun under .45 caliber (Sig, S&W, Karh, etc.).

I still say they'd sell like wildfire.

stsai465
02-13-2012, 08:13

I was watching a SHOT show booth review on Nutnfancy's youtube channel where he interviewed the Glock's booth, and the Glock US rep essentially said exactly this (that Austria reps think they don't need any advice from the US reps). They also specifically brought up the Smith M&P success as the only reason backstraps got added to Gen4.

redbaron007
02-13-2012, 08:15
What is Glock's business plan? It has been in the past to cater to LEA and military groups. The retail side is just a by-product.

Does it mean they won't, nope; but if the LEA and military groups demanded it, then maybe. If they make a single stack, it would be the only pistol they make that does not have another pistol using the basic same parts. This would be a complete new pistol to manufacture; new design, molds etc. Although, they could manufacture the pistol in 9mm & .40 cal to help keep cost low.

Would I like to see one? Oh Yeah! IMHO, I think they could manufacture one in GA, to get by the import points.

:wavey:

red

TN.Frank
02-13-2012, 09:56
A single stack Glock would require new mag followers, mag springs and base plates. With the double stack they can use the same parts to build up the mags and that helps to save them money.
Also, I don't think that they feel that their double stacks are all that wide when compared to some of the single stacks on the market.

rohanreginald
02-13-2012, 10:01
Glocks are fat and chunky, even the G26/27 subcompact series. Every major gun maker has come out with small 9/40 pistols geared towards the ccw crowd

Everybody, that is, except Glock. They don't make a mid/small size single stack gun because...?

You answered your own question. Everyone else makes them so why should Glock. I have some small single stacks. They conceal great. I still mostly carry my G26 which is Glock's version for small concealable pistols.

Glocks sub-compacts will get you almost everywhere. If you need something smaller, you need to find another product.

Metal Angel
02-13-2012, 10:04
Everyone is talking about how big the 36 is. What do you expect, it's a .45! It really can't get much slimmer! And it is a lot slimmer than the 19, plus has the rounded nose, so it would be a much easier carry than the 19.

Also, people talking about 9mm being a poor self defense choice- PISTOLS are a poor self defense choice.

crazymoose
02-13-2012, 10:12

Couldn't tell you for sure, but if I had to guess I'd say either:

1) Glock can't get the reliability and/or durability they want to maintain their reputation.

or

2) They figure that's not their market, and want to "stay in their own lane," especially given, as has been said, that others have already made such a pistol.

dosei
They don't make a mid/small size single stack gun because...?

...Gaston is still running things.

Brazos
They should build a slim-line model 26/27. Strangely they did it with the 36 but didn't continue. I love Glocks and understand why they don't wan't to mess with their tried and true models like 17/19. That being said they are starting to remind me of Colt. Colt just did their thing and burried their heads in the sand. They missed the .44 mag revolver boat and missed out on decades of sales. Now everyone makes a 1911, SAA, and AR-15's. By making a slim-line of some of their current models it would bring new life into their line up and show they are still relevant. Right now too many manufactures have taken Glock's concept and are marketing the crap out of them.

MrMurphy
02-14-2012, 03:29
That was told to me direct by a Glock rep when i was still working in the business.

3 years ago......

Also, I have nearly 10,000 rounds through a Glock 30, it's my primary carry gun.

I've tried 36's. I don't feel a difference, and the grip feels 'longer'. Which does not fit my hand (I have short fingers). IWB, zero difference to me. Now a 1911 or a Hi Power is thinner, but any Glock is chunky IWB.

schild
02-14-2012, 05:21

Then why not a single stack .45?

Rumbler_G20
02-14-2012, 05:34
[ . . . ]Also, people talking about 9mm being a poor self defense choice- PISTOLS are a poor self defense choice.

Best reason I have seen yet to make a single stack 9MM. :whistling:

dosei
02-14-2012, 06:30
Then why not a single stack .45?

:upeyes:
schild...Glock does make a single stack 45.

DannyR
02-14-2012, 06:40
Glock designs pistol for military and law enforcement use. Can you name one army or law enforcement agency that would prefer a single stack Glock over present double stack designs?

MrMurphy
02-14-2012, 12:31
Quite a few European armies used the Sig P225 for years in some roles... while not as much anymore, the hole does exist to be filled. Same with the various smaller variants of the 92 series.

AZ Jeff
02-14-2012, 12:36
Single stack 9mm?

Uh...no thanks.

It's not difficult at all to conceal a G30 IMO. I have only slightly more trouble concealing a G21. I have yet to enter a situation where pocket carry was a necessity.

You live in Wisconsin, where you dress in heavy clothes 11 months of the year.:supergrin:

A G21 does not conceal well in nylon shorts and a tee-shirt here in PHX in the summer.

Rumbler_G20
02-14-2012, 12:44
. . . A G21 does not conceal well in nylon shorts and a tee-shirt here in PHX in the summer.

I'm going to skip the "OH! I get it. The fashion is more important than the protection."

:tongueout:

;) :rofl:;)

redbaron007
02-14-2012, 13:33
...Gaston is still running things.

He has done well without your help. :dunno:

:wavey:

red

sentian
02-14-2012, 14:17
I guess i'm missing something here.. my gen4 glock17 has a single stack layout (canadian laws).. ?

Kimura
02-14-2012, 17:35
Glock designs pistol for military and law enforcement use. Can you name one army or law enforcement agency that would prefer a single stack Glock over present double stack designs?

Depends on the usage for it. Concealment, sure. SEALs reportedly have P239s in their arsenal for concealment use. Can't just be a single stack 26 or 19. The gun needs to be thinner. Similar to the way they thinned out the 36. Are they capable of making a redesigned, thinner, single stack 19 sized pistol that's reliable? I don't know.

Quite a few European armies used the Sig P225 for years in some roles... while not as much anymore, the hole does exist to be filled. Same with the various smaller variants of the 92 series.

Sig still makes the P239 which was the P225 replacement. I use to own a 225 and I still think a 1911 conceals better.

ArmoryDoc
02-14-2012, 17:50
For you guys that think the Glock 36 is "fat", here's some measurements against a Colt Officers ACP. 1911's are thought to be "slim". Here they are side-by-side.

Colt Officers ACP
Slide Width at muzzle- 15/16”
Length- 7 1/4”
Height- 4 3/4”
Grip Width- 1 1/4”
Grip Circumference- 5 3/4”
Weight- 41.0 oz.
Mag Capacity- 6
Caliber .45acp

Glock 36
Slide Width at muzzle- 1.0”
Length- 6 7/8”
Height- 4 1/2”
Grip Width- 1.0”
Grip Circumference- 5 3/4” (at inside of top finger groove)
Weight- 20.0 oz.
Mag Capacity- 6
Caliber .45acp

CBennett
02-14-2012, 18:18

Me and though I dont have one(yet) its the ONLY Glock id bother owning...

okbye
02-14-2012, 18:42
They need a single stack 9mm. Obviously the objective here is to have a pistol that is as thin as possible. so if the slide is as thick as the G26/19/17 that reduces the effectiveness/point of single stack. In my opinion of course.

Also, to those whose opinion it is that Glock shouldn't make a single stack 9mm. My opinion is that you're ignorant or narrow minded; or both. No offense.

DoubleWide
02-14-2012, 19:25
A Glock 19 is 30% wider than the Walther PPS. I own both and the Walther is a better carry. Considering some like a 5 shot J-frame (also own), I don't see the capacity as an issue.

G26S239
02-14-2012, 21:43
Well Glock sure as hell manages to inadvertently sell a lot of guns to people who are not military/LEO. How do you explain that Danny? Glock would probably manage to survive as a company even if you were to suddenly stop riding in to defend their honor anytime you perceived someone might be questioning their practices or policies. :upeyes:

gruntmedik
02-14-2012, 21:45
Single stack 9mm?

Uh...no thanks.

Since you can do it, it must mean everyone else can too.

sharp
02-15-2012, 20:56
The current design does not work on smaller guns?

Wrong. Have you heard of the Walther PPS? It was designed by the same dude that designed the G17.

Feanor
02-15-2012, 21:01

:rofl:

boilergonzo
02-17-2012, 11:37

You are correct, but I do know police officers who have carried other non-Glock guns for BUG's and off-duty because of size.

I agree, it will not be the primary weapon, but I can see advantages for off-duty or better concealment situationally. Not having interchangable magazines would obviously be a downside in this regard.

As for the public sector... despite some asserting that they can comfortably conceal anything, I disagree with the "comfortable" part. Bigger/heavier/bulkier equals less comfortable!

Because Glock has no offering in the space, I have a 340pd and LCP. Looking into new S&W mouse gun/laser combo. In light summer clothes it appeals to me. My G26 doesn't.

Glock chose not to play in the fastest expanding segment (small concealed carry), which is their choice. But after handling the S&W Bodyguard (and liking it) I started looking at a S&W M&P (which I don't really need and wasn't planning on purchasing, but now actually am curious about, too!).

You can look at it as a "total brand loyalty" issue. Ask Toyota about brand introduction and ultimately scaling (Scion///Toyota Corolla/Camry/Avalon///Lexus).

Not having representation in this space causes people to test drive competitive products... and sometimes they develop loyalties or discover things they like!

I would buy a US-made single-stack 9mm (or 380) Glock carry-gun sight unseen in a heartbeat. But I am not going to hold my breath. I will instead be developing proficiency and confidence (and possibly preferences) in my new BodyGuard and my old 340pd... both S&W offerings. Which leads me to give serious consideration to also getting an M&P.

FCastle88
02-17-2012, 14:44
Wrong. Have you heard of the Walther PPS? It was designed by the same dude that designed the G17.
The PPS is similar to a Glock, but it was still designed as a compact single stack, they didn't just take a Glock and make it thinner. Why not just buy a PPS? If Glock made a single stack 9mm I'd be interested, but there's already plenty to choose from, if they never make one it's not that big of a deal, I don't care what name is on the gun as long as it works.

KennyFSU
02-17-2012, 14:46
My Kahr PM9 is my single-stack "Glock" lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Landric
02-17-2012, 16:20
What is Glock's business plan? ...

Gaston's business plan is to marry his 31 year old nurse and kick the rest of his family out of the business. He is running that plan perfectly.

John Biltz
02-17-2012, 23:48
According to Glock's webpage the 36 is 28.5mm/1.13 inches and the 26 is 30mm/1.18 inches. But I read posts all the time about how much slimmer a G36 is. It really isn't. Your holster choice is a bigger difference in thickness than the gun is.

Fashion has nothing to do with shorts and T-shirts in Phoenix, its all about the heat. An average summer day is pushing 110 and a hot day is worse. Its like saying a coat in winter in WI is just a fashion statement.

PrecisionRifleman
02-18-2012, 00:51
I don't think there would be a market for it. The current Glock 9's really aren't chunky at all. Especially considering their capacity. I think a large benefit of the Glock is the capacity among other factors.

paparic
02-18-2012, 01:29
I would think the loss of capacity would be the reason not to make a single stack. If I want a single stack I would carry a 1911, but I prefer 17 rounds vs 10 or 12, I don't want to have to carry a concealed weapon and a mag pouch too.

High Altitude
02-18-2012, 23:13
I was watching a SHOT show booth review on Nutnfancy's youtube channel where he interviewed the Glock's booth, and the Glock US rep essentially said exactly this (that Austria reps think they don't need any advice from the US reps). They also specifically brought up the Smith M&P success as the only reason backstraps got added to Gen4.

You talk to anyone who works for Glock USA about Glock Austria and you will realize real quick that Glock USA has no say in anything. Glock Austria does not want to hear it.

The animosity comes through load and clear.