Thinking of cuttin the PALS off [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of cuttin the PALS off

WilyCoyote
02-13-2012, 04:19
Was looking at my EDC bag...love it to death, but I wanna normalize it a bit and was thinking of cutting the pals webbing off the back to give it a cleaner look. I dont and would not likely use the PALS field Im thinking of stripping, but something is staying my hand...Advice? comments?

Thx

W

kirgi08
02-13-2012, 09:12
Minimal weight reduction,I don't like modifying things like that.I may need it later.'08.

rj1939
02-13-2012, 09:57
I have thought about that myself.........but what about making some kind of "cover" for the webbing that would make it less military while not destroying it for later. I figured if it was done right, it might just look like a style feature...........maybe even a different color or whatever.

WolfNotSheep
02-13-2012, 11:57
I think a pack cover would be your best bet...if you truly need to survive out of your bag then you will be very tnakful for all that webbing and some para-cord to lash down gear you come across along your way. And, if you run out of room in your pack the webbing makes it expandable. Another thing I really like webbing on a pack for is a folding dump pouch (because wet clothes, empty mags, and foraged goods have to go somewhere) and a mini survival kit. If you have a small but thoroughly thought out and executed survival kit in a pouch that you can easily transfer from your pack to your belt then you can leave your pack at camp or sit it down for a few minutes to rest and still have a good kit with you wherever you go.

Kieller
02-13-2012, 12:08
Minimal weight reduction,I don't like modifying things like that.I may need it later.'08.

My thoughts exactly. Not going to gain much from losing the webbing and it might be more beneficial to keep it at some point in the future.

Bolster
02-13-2012, 13:26
Carrying it urban? Then Cut! Cut! Cut! The webbing screams "nice backpack with lotsa upscale goodies inside." And sometimes it screams, "nutcase mall ninja, call the cops, check him out." PALS webbing is not "greyman."

Carrying it rural? Leave them be.

WilyCoyote
02-13-2012, 20:40
Thought of the pack cover idea, but I don't like the idea of having to take the cover off before being able to access my goodies. I already stripped the 3, yes 3, MAX patches off. I'm a little more hestitant with the PALS webbing because the PALS is imbedded into the seam at each end. I can cut it close, but the seam will look a tad cruddy after that. I don't know if I'll miss the webbing yet. I've had the pack for awhile now and havn't had any ideas of stuf to strap on that I can't just fit in the pack. If I needed more modularity or room, I could just grab a bigger pack. Still undecided. :dunno:

Bolster
02-14-2012, 01:08
If undecided, then get another pack without the webbing and leave yours as is. That way you can go either/or.

WilyCoyote
02-14-2012, 02:30
Yea, but the point was to keep my EDC, just dumb it down a bit

pugman
02-14-2012, 09:26
If undecided, then get another pack without the webbing and leave yours as is. That way you can go either/or.

This.

There are LOTS of packs available from REI, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, etc which say I'm just the average guy carrying an average pack full of junk.

I would think Light Berry or Pale Aqua would scream metrosexual rather than prepper :supergrin:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=32961&colorId=912&categoryId=24451&categoryName=BACKPACKS--MESSENGERS&pCategoryId=5&pCategoryName=BAGS--GEAR&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=24451~~categoryName=BACKPACKS--MESSENGERS~~pCategoryId=5~~pCategoryName=BAGS--GEAR~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=y&pg=1

WilyCoyote
02-14-2012, 17:40
I think I'm going to go a different direction and start a new thread on how I might be able to grey out the pack using multiple different methods...Thanks for the replies.