My Kimber from hero to zero [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My Kimber from hero to zero

itstime
02-13-2012, 07:27
I got a heck of a deal on a HD Pro as I said here before. Bought it went to the range out back and it ran 100%.

Went home cleaned and lubes it went to the range again yesterday. The GF wanted to shoot it.

I put a mag in it and FTF. Hit the bottom of the mag and it would feed.

Mag after mag second shot FTF.

A few stovepipe also.

The mag is a Chip 8 round powermag. I only had the one with me. I'm thinking mag issue off the bat but I can't believe it went down hill so quick. :(.

Time to tune this one up.

On a side note did a detail strip on my Llama and I'm happy to say it runs 100% now. Lol. It actually shoots nice now. :)

Rumbler_G20
02-13-2012, 07:37
The HUGE vast majority of 1911 problems are magazine related.

With that said; I'm certainly no mass produced Kimber fan. Their custom shop still does excellent work on a per job basis but I'm telling you from first hand experience; their "advertised" "custom shop pistols" are miles and miles away from their per job basis custom shop pistols. Fit, finish, and function, are night and day different. :pirates:

dakota1911
02-13-2012, 13:26
I usually go to the range with a "bag o mags". With one mag load one round, shoot, two rounds, shoot, three rounds, shoot......... etc. till you get to mag limit. Also hopefully you can try different ammo and see how that works.

SpringerTGO
02-13-2012, 13:48
At least your Kimber was a hero at some time.
Mine was a 0 when I bought it, and after I got it back from Kimber for repairs.

MD357
02-13-2012, 14:00
Until you try another mag with it you can't say it's the Kimber. Mags are the first variable to eliminate when trouble shooting IMO.

faawrenchbndr
02-13-2012, 15:55
I really do not want to repeat what everyone else said, but,.........

Most likely a bad magazine. They are the #1 issue with a semi auto firearm!

HAIL CAESAR
02-13-2012, 17:45
Kimber has a "real custom shop"????

faawrenchbndr
02-13-2012, 17:48

I have a "custom shop" in my basement! :rofl:

itstime
02-27-2012, 09:38
Tried another mag. It was better but had two stovepipes. The fired case was stuck backwards in the gun. Not a classic stovepipe.

faawrenchbndr
02-27-2012, 10:08
Hav you checked extractor tension?

plouffedaddy
02-27-2012, 13:27
At least your Kimber was a hero at some time.
Mine was a 0 when I bought it, and after I got it back from Kimber for repairs.

Ditto here.

Travclem
02-27-2012, 14:19
I have a "custom shop" in my basement! :rofl:
Mine's in the garage.:supergrin:

mikegun
02-27-2012, 14:27
I have owned 2 lt wt kimber 45s,and had absoutley no problem with either, one had internal ext, one ext...i wish i had them back, but opted for a Glock as a carry gun,as they are 98% problem free and hold a lot of rounds...i feel muck safer with the Glock....still.....

Jason D
02-27-2012, 16:37

What constitutes a real custom shop?

I have heard numerous times that Kimber doesn't have a custom shop, yet I maintain they must if they have even one single person with tools there to work on guns.

I have owned Kimbers since the late 90's.
From their very best guns, to the lowly Target model.
I have never found a bad one.

GOOFA
02-28-2012, 06:05

Somebody better tell Kimber.

Travclem
02-28-2012, 06:11
What constitutes a real custom shop?

I have heard numerous times that Kimber doesn't have a custom shop, yet I maintain they must if they have even one single person with tools there to work on guns.

I have owned Kimbers since the late 90's.
From their very best guns, to the lowly Target model.
I have never found a bad one.

Well, take Springfield Armory for example. They have a true custom shop that produces one off pistols built to a consumers specification. They will also modify existing guns however the customer likes. All of their pistolsmiths are members of the American Pistolsmith's Guild, not minimum wage assembly line workers. Wilson Combat, Is also a custom shop.

Kimber's custom guns just come off another assembly line that has a "Kimber custom" roll marker at the end. Try calling Kimber with a spec sheet and having a pistol built the way you want it, or having an existing pistol checkered or fitted with a match barrel and bushing.

Glock_your_world
02-28-2012, 06:17
I traded a M&P for my brother in laws kimber custom 2. I thought I was getting a good deal even though the finish was horrible. We had a deal where if either one of us did not like the guns after the first trip to the range we could trade back. Well after many failures with several different magazines I got my M&P back. I have not been able to get a great feeling for Kimbers since.