Prepping Makes Me Thankful [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prepping Makes Me Thankful

Bolster
02-13-2012, 11:25
We all have different motives and goals with our prepping. I personally am not expecting a civilization-ending disaster, I'm betting that temporary disruptions are more likely (and will be bad enough!). If I'm wrong, at least I'll be more prepped than 90% of my neighbors. But one odd by-product of my prep work is this:

I have a renewed thankfulness that I'm living in a time when you turn a handle and you get clean warm water flowing. That you twist a knob and a controlled, hot fire appears. That you can poop inside a warm house and the poop gets carried away. That people come pick up my trash each week. That there is a huge pantry down the street called Safeway. That I can hop into a large metal container and go 70 mph wherever I want. That I can talk to anyone I want to at any time with a device that goes into a pocket. That I send electrons to Amazon and packages show up on my porch. That I can be close to death and I'm whisked away in a screaming metal box to a technological wonder-house with medicines and tubes and whirring magnets where they may bring me back to life, or at least take away the pain.

As you prepare for a time when these conveniences will be gone, or nonfunctional, it makes you appreciate how miraculous, and fragile, they really are. Here's to civilization and all the boons it brings. Long may it be with us. I'm prepared to bid it farewell, but it'll be a sad farewell, and I'll be working to bring it back as quickly as possible.

jdavionic
02-13-2012, 11:37
It also makes me thankful that I don't read stories and go 'oh crap...what should I buy to prepare?!" Granted, I'm not as prepared as I'd like to be and I certainly have not prepared for all scenarios. However a good example is our local forecast...which shows the potential of ice/snow. In our area, that causes great panic.

For me...got plenty of water, food, a means to cook it without power, and a means to stay warm without power. I have stocked 'ice melt' pellets, have an AWD vehicle (not that I'd go anywhere).

So for me, if this happens, it would just be a small inconvenience or a welcome quiet R&R period of staying home with the family. :supergrin:

Bilbo Bagins
02-13-2012, 11:43
I see it kind of like insurance.

Why on earth would a very healthy 27 year old man, with a new wife, and baby get life insurance and health insurance? Well in case something happens. For me Prepping is just insurance. Hopefully you will never need it, but in case something happens, its good to have.

For me its peace of mind, From everything from a minor disturbance like a storm or power outage, to something major like an EOTW crapstorm. I have also used the prepping "hobby" for enjoyment. I have parlayed my SHTF gear into camping trips, hiking, shooting with friends and family. There has been some bonding moments with with my kids, and my wife looks to me as more of a provider/protector then just the paycheck I bring home.

In the end, I will probably live a long life, never to see any serious use for my preps, but it will all be worth it.

UneasyRider
02-13-2012, 11:44
We all have different motives and goals with our prepping. I personally am not expecting a civilization-ending disaster, I'm betting that temporary disruptions are more likely (and will be bad enough!). If I'm wrong, at least I'll be more prepped than 90% of my neighbors.

This is exactly how I feel too! I also am thankful for the times that we live in for myself but I am ashamed of how we are going to leave a child born today in bad shape because we chose to live large on borrowed money.

jdavionic
02-13-2012, 11:49
In the end, I will probably live a long life, never to see any serious use for my preps, but it will all be worth it.

Sitting on my death bed as an old man, slamming down my MREs so they're not wasted :supergrin:

Kieller
02-13-2012, 12:15
You don't know what you got 'till its gone

Going camping a couple times a year will make you appreciate a whole lot of amenities that you have at home very quickly. I think the wife appreciates the hot water one the most :supergrin:

Glock30Eric
02-13-2012, 12:57
Why don't we make this as a sticky thread to remind us to be grateful for what we have at this time?

Awesome comments! I am thankful that I could hop on the internet to read this discussion and to learn to be a better prepper for my family. Please treasure the hardbooks because they will be only the educational thing that you could learn (without the internet or the internet is being screened out by the GOV).

Boogiefan
02-13-2012, 13:11
You don't know what you got 'till its gone ~ GNR. That's not GNR. That Cinderella.

DoctaGlockta
02-13-2012, 13:13
Amen Brothers.

Everyday I am grateful for what I am blessed with. All things big and small. I watched the Doomsday prep show last night and made my oldest daughter watch the fellow in TX make a statement that not preparing to take care of your family and loved ones if disaster strikes is borderline criminal.

I couldn't live with myself is something out of my control happened and I didn't at least try to prepare for it.

Epic thread Bolster.

Bolster
02-13-2012, 13:22

Mark Twain! "I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

sebecman
02-14-2012, 07:38
We all have different motives and goals with our prepping. I personally am not expecting a civilization-ending disaster, I'm betting that temporary disruptions are more likely (and will be bad enough!). If I'm wrong, at least I'll be more prepped than 90% of my neighbors. But one odd by-product of my prep work is this:

I have a renewed thankfulness that I'm living in a COUNTRY where you turn a handle and you get clean warm water flowing. That you twist a knob and a controlled, hot fire appears. That you can poop inside a warm house and the poop gets carried away. That people come pick up my trash each week. That there is a huge pantry down the street called Safeway. That I can hop into a large metal container and go 70 mph wherever I want. That I can talk to anyone I want to at any time with a device that goes into a pocket. That I send electrons to Amazon and packages show up on my porch. That I can be close to death and I'm whisked away in a screaming metal box to a technological wonder-house with medicines and tubes and whirring magnets where they may bring me back to life, or at least take away the pain.

As you prepare for a time when these conveniences will be gone, or nonfunctional, it makes you appreciate how miraculous, and fragile, they really are. Here's to civilization and all the boons it brings. Long may it be with us. I'm prepared to bid it farewell, but it'll be a sad farewell, and I'll be working to bring it back as quickly as possible.

I agree...almost....not busting your chops but I fixed your post for ya.

:cool: