Article on 2 CCW tourist arrests in NY- Steven Strauss [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Article on 2 CCW tourist arrests in NY- Steven Strauss

TBO
02-13-2012, 13:01
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-strauss/new-york-city-concealed-weapons_b_1271698.html

eracer
02-13-2012, 13:42
At least the retard admits to being a knee-jerk reactionary. That's a start.

travDMH
02-13-2012, 13:49
I cant stomach news like this. Hopefully the charges are dropped

HarleyGuy
02-13-2012, 14:24
I can't believe that I am in agreement with an anti-gun, anti-NRA, knee-jerk liberal but in this case(s) he is correct.

wjv
02-13-2012, 16:22
Deleted - wrong thread!

harrygunner
02-13-2012, 21:44
These anti-gunners are not concerned about these citizens or the Constitution. They simply realize these outrageous arrests could lead to national permit recognition.

They are advocating their followers to lose a battle to win a war.

G23MP
02-14-2012, 11:33
i was born and raised in NYC. Joined the Army when I was 19 back in early 07, havent been back there since. AND I AINT GOING BACK!

toadytodd
02-14-2012, 12:31
These anti-gunners are not concerned about these citizens or the Constitution. They simply realize these outrageous arrests could lead to national permit recognition.

I totally agree that that statement.

ScottieG59
02-16-2012, 00:03
Perhaps the author sees not prosecuting these two citizens as a way to muffle the argument in favor of national recognition of concealed carry permits. Still, the conclusions seem valid. The legal environment presented in New York State and in New York City is very complex, perhaps needlessly complex.

The goals of the New York controls deals with the assumption that good and bad people look the same and a blanket policy is needed to keep the masses from stepping out of line. Part of the history relates to the difficulties humans face when packed so tightly in a city that it is like a pressure vessel. Honest solutions to issues in a tightly packed mass of humanity are not easy.

In New York City, there are many classes of humanity. Wealth and fame counts for a lot when it comes to rights being enjoyed. You see this in the protected enclaves in which the wealthy and famous reside and through which they travel. The greatest fear is that the masses below will make things unsavory.

People are controlled and kept in their place. The fact that the people demand the right to protect themselves and their families does not even enter into the social elite's desire to control the streets. Fear is a great method of control and letting the people know that special deals are not available to them reinforces the idea that only the state can bestow rights and privileges. Individuals will live without fear once they live within the narrow confines dictated by the elite of society. This is not about conservative or liberal since they are like Coke and Pepsi; it is just the flavor of the week.

New York City cannot live under the same rules as other areas of the country. The city exists in almost a state of anarchy and in the post 9/11 era, there are additional considerations in place to tighten controls even more.

I do not want to say all New York City has done is bad or evil. The city has made great advances in their ability to collect information, analyze and act on threats.

The thing New York City needs to be able to do is trust in the citizens despite the perception of their lower social stature.

The right to self defense without the means to act on this right undermines the fundamental right to life all people have.

Misty02
02-16-2012, 09:43

Funny, I see it the same way and have a feeling that the CA attorney that found himself tangled in the same spot does as well.

At times you have to lose the battle to win the war. :supergrin:

Gunnut 45/454
02-16-2012, 11:03
G23MP
Same here brother! After I joined the military and moved away I found out what true freedom is an will never go back to the slave state of NY!:supergrin:

harrygunner
Your exactly right! The anti's do not give a rats ass about these people! Nor does NYC! They see it as a victory two more felons that can't ever own a gun- and those guns they have destroyed!:steamed:

IndyGunFreak
02-16-2012, 17:48

:agree:

Well put.

I'm just concerned what these two individuals are going to be put through to try and prove a point. I'd hate to see them convicted felons when they could have walked away. I have to admit, if it were me... I'd have taken the misdemeanor and went home. Granted, I would have cleared through multiple sources I was clear to take my firearm to NYC... but that's another story.

IGF

Warp
02-16-2012, 23:21
Quote from the article: "Ryan and Meredith made our neighborhoods safer by handing in their weapons to the authorities"

No...they most certainly did not.

fla2760
02-16-2012, 23:56
The Sullivan Law has to go.