Two questions, about a Glock 36 and triggers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Two questions, about a Glock 36 and triggers

RedRyder21
02-13-2012, 13:41
1. Maybe you have mentioned it and I can't find it, when you carry your Glock 36 what do you usually carry as a reload? A Glock 21 magazine or Glock 36 magazine?

2. I have always been against any kind of trigger jobs on a Glock, but I recently tried the ".25cent" trigger job using only q-tips, hand power, and metal polish on a Glock I use for just weekend plinking. I was really impressed with the difference! I have worked L.E. for a few years now and of all the firearms taken into possession as evidence by my department I have never heard of one being inspected to see if the trigger mechanism is still stock or modified (other than one case where the gun was tested to see if it was full auto). I just want to know if you have seen a glock (.25cent) trigger job become an issue in court.
(((I really don't mean to beat a dead horse per say)))

Thanks for your time!

Mas Ayoob
02-13-2012, 16:36
Hi Red,

I got your followup message that you were talking about backup magazines for the Glock 30, not the Glock 36.

Answering your questions in order:

1. It depends where I'm carrying the gun. My work occasionally takes me to places where I'm legal to carry, but have to abide by local "ten round magazine limits." In those places my backup magazine(s) will be G30 mags, downloaded by one round to a nine-cartridge capacity. This is because to get ten rounds into the geometry of a compact/subcompact .45 mag, Glock didn't have much room for "wink," or added flexibility in the spring-loaded magazine stack. You may have noticed when administratively loading your G30 with a full mag and the slide forward, you have to really SLAM the magazine in to get it to seat. That's not a good thing if you have to perform a tactical reload under stress. The problem disappears with a nine-cartridge load in a standard ten-round G30 magazine. I'd rather have nine more for sure than ten more "maybe." When the gun is administratively loaded, it has ten-plus-one.

If I'm not someplace where there's a magazine capacity limit, my spare for the G30 will be a standard Glock 21 magazine, loaded to the full thirteen round capacity. There is sufficient flex in THAT magazine that quick tactical reloads are no problem at all. In addition to three or four more rounds, the longer G21 magazine is easier to manipulate into the short butt of my G30 and G30SF pistols, and doesn't pinch the little finger of the firing hand in that space. (Quite apart from minor discomfort, a G30 mag that pinches the little finger may fail to seat fully.)

I know some folks worry about the G21 mags working reliably in G30s. All I can say is that I've been using them in training and Major Sub competition with G30s for years and have had ONE feedway stoppage with a G21 mag in a G30, and cleared it too fast to analyze the problem, but that one problem was never repeated. Try YOUR mags in YOUR gun until you're sure there won't be a reliability problem.

2. Going into my 33rd year now as an expert witness in weapons/shooting cases, I still have not seen either prosecution or plaintiff's counsel argue that a gun's trigger pull was too SMOOTH, but have often seen them argue that it was too LIGHT. Best advice I can give, and I realize it's conservative advice, is: have any polishing work done by a professional who has done it with a great many Glocks, and is willing to speak for you in court if you get into a shooting with it. I would NOT use the 3.5/4.5 pound connector unless it was accompanied by an NY-1 trigger module, to keep it to the weight specs recommended for defensive as opposed to recreational shooting by Glock.

For what it's worth, the several times I've seen a Glock pistol "double" on its own, every single time it has been a combination of a 3.5 pound connector AND "home gunsmithing" polish jobs.

best wishes,
Mas

RedRyder21
02-13-2012, 20:08
Thank you again for the reply.

I have not purchased a Glock 30 yet and will be looking at one this week.

I have always heard you mention your preference for the Glock 30 and I figured you would carry a Glock 21 magazine as a spare, but who better to ask than the man himself! :supergrin:

Also, I may have never noticed, but thanks for the tip about 9 rounds vs 10 in a Glock 30 magazine!