Beware of Kel Tec [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Kel Tec

Viper 1
02-13-2012, 15:40
I bought a new PMR 30 and it has a slide problem; new in the box.

I've called, sent e-mails, faxes and messages with no response. I had been told that their customer service was not equal to Glock, Ruger, etc. but I didn't think they would ignore thir customers or show such a lack of respect.

I own many guns but this is my first Kel Tec. I'm not a hater and I was looking forward to owning this pistol but with this kind of service, I would not recommend their products to anyone.

M2 Carbine
02-13-2012, 15:59
I hope their customer service hasn't gone down.

In the past years their CS couldn't be better. They have always given me upgraded parts, and even free parts for the parts I damaged or lost, just for the asking. They totally rebuilt my P3AT better than new and charged me nothing.

IMO their CS was better than Glock and Ruger put together.
That was one reason I bought 6 Kel Tecs.

I'd just call them on the phone. Try again and let us know what happens.

Bren
02-13-2012, 16:04
I bought a new PMR 30 and it has a slide problem; new in the box.

I've called, sent e-mails, faxes and messages with no response. I had been told that their customer service was not equal to Glock, Ruger, etc. but I didn't think they would ignore thir customers or show such a lack of respect.

I own many guns but this is my first Kel Tec. I'm not a hater and I was looking forward to owning this pistol but with this kind of service, I would not recommend their products to anyone.

What's wrong with it? Cosmetic or functional?

Viper 1
02-13-2012, 16:09
What's wrong with it? Cosmetic or functional?

I've been trying to get them on the phone but can't get past the automated system.

It's a disassembly issue. Once the breakdown pin is removed, the slide should move forward and up but mine is locked in place. I've talked to a couple of dealers and they claim something is wrong. I've never owned a Kel Tec but the manual is very clear and simple regarding disassembly.

Bren
02-13-2012, 16:21
I've been trying to get them on the phone but can't get past the automated system.

It's a disassembly issue. Once the breakdown pin is removed, the slide should move forward and up but mine is locked in place. I've talked to a couple of dealers and they claim something is wrong. I've never owned a Kel Tec but the manual is very clear and simple regarding disassembly.

Have you tried just using more force to push forward on the rear of the slide after the pin is out? New guns are often very tight.

Viper 1
02-13-2012, 16:42
Have you tried just using more force to push forward on the rear of the slide after the pin is out? New guns are often very tight.

Yes, I've used some force but it's firm. I've also watched a video on You Tube of the breakdown and when the pin is removed, it appears to easily remove with no effort.

I'm not a smith but it should be real simple.

Thanks,

Spiffums
02-13-2012, 17:00
So dealers say it's not the guns problem but your smearing a company on the internet because you think it is? Just get through the automated system.

Eric2340
02-13-2012, 17:02
I hope their customer service hasn't gone down.

In the past years their CS couldn't be better. They have always given me upgraded parts, and even free parts for the parts I damaged or lost, just for the asking. They totally rebuilt my P3AT better than new and charged me nothing.

IMO their CS was better than Glock and Ruger put together.
That was one reason I bought 6 Kel Tecs.

I'd just call them on the phone. Try again and let us know what happens.

This had been my experience w/ them for years also, NEVER an issue or problem over 4 of them now.

Pete250R
02-13-2012, 17:06

weird, I just called and got through.

fwm
02-13-2012, 17:14

It is a small company with east coast business hours, and time off for lunch.

They have always been extremely nice to me. Even sent me free 5 ejectors for my 3AT because I keep losing them. Try that at anywhere else!

The OP should really take a little time before slamming someone in a post title that can be used to improperly ruin a reputation.

Viper 1
02-13-2012, 17:26
So dealers say it's not the guns problem but your smearing a company on the internet because you think it is? Just get through the automated system.

Can you read?

I said the dealers think it is an issue with the gun. If you can't help, then keep your mouth shut.

Viper 1
02-13-2012, 17:27

How did you get through when their hours are 9 to 3 EST.

Viper 1
02-13-2012, 17:28
It is a small company with east coast business hours, and time off for lunch.

They have always been extremely nice to me. Even sent me free 5 ejectors for my 3AT because I keep losing them. Try that at anywhere else!

The OP should really take a little time before slamming someone in a post title that can be used to improperly ruin a reputation.

I've been trying them for 3 days. How long should I wait for a response?

Ruggles
02-13-2012, 17:35
Well this thread should end well :rofl:

travis34769
02-13-2012, 17:59

Take the magazine out?

Viper 1
02-13-2012, 18:03
Take the magazine out?

Yes,

Tried both ways! I watched a video on you tube just to be sure I wasn't overlooking something in the manual. It still could be something simple and if I can reach kel tec, I'm sure they can help.

Thanks,

Nanuk
02-13-2012, 18:05
Have you tried KTOG?

Viper 1
02-13-2012, 18:09
Have you tried KTOG?

Yes,

I registered on their site and asked for help in getting in touch with kel tec and if anyone had any experience with this pistol.

Thanks,

fwm
02-14-2012, 11:24
I've been trying them for 3 days. How long should I wait for a response?

Are you sure you have the correct number? Have you tried their WEB site? Are you calling them before or after business hours in FL?

They do shut down for two weeks around Christmas time, but I can't think of a reason they wouldn't answer this time of the year.

Viper 1
02-14-2012, 11:26
Are you sure you have the correct number? Have you tried their WEB site? Are you calling them before or after business hours in FL?

They do shut down for two weeks around Christmas time, but I can't think of a reason they wouldn't answer this time of the year.

Thanks,

We talked this morning and resolved the issue. I also posted another thread this morning titled Apology to Kel Tec.

itstime
02-14-2012, 14:13
It's sad to hear their customer service is going to crap. I have two of their pistols and while not the beat of guns have been 100% reliable and I always felt good about their customer service.

Now they are changing their warranty and people are starting to talk about their crappy CS. no more of their guns for me unless I her otherwise.

Pete250R
02-14-2012, 14:22
It's sad to hear their customer service is going to crap. I have two of their pistols and while not the beat of guns have been 100% reliable and I always felt good about their customer service.

Now they are changing their warranty and people are starting to talk about their crappy CS. no more of their guns for me unless I her otherwise.

If you need something for your guns, call them and see for yourself instead of taking internet advice.

I have yet to hear of someone who was denied warranty service because they weren't the original owner. Someone correct me if I am wrong there.

redbaron007
02-14-2012, 14:31
Viper1, you may suggest to the mods to lock this thread.

:wavey:

red

Viper 1
02-14-2012, 18:22
Viper1, you may suggest to the mods to lock this thread.

:wavey:

red

I started another thread today titled Apology to Kel Tec.

Thanks,