Any issue with repeatedly cycling a round? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any issue with repeatedly cycling a round?

East River Guide
02-13-2012, 16:14
OK, so I'm on board with carrying one in the chamber, but I have kids in the house and even though I keep everything in a safe I still think I should store my guns unloaded. This basically means I have to repeatedly load and unload the top round in the mag. Maybe not a big deal for periods I am going to the range frequently but sometimes it may stretch out longer than I would like between trips. Anyone think the repeated cycling of a round can cause an issue? Anyone have a way of dealing with it if it is?

vram74
02-13-2012, 16:22
Sturmgewehre's Channel - YouTube

smitret
02-13-2012, 16:23
Keep a close eye on the rechambered round in case it suffers some setback which can raise pressure to unsafe levels.

Limit the times you recycle and introduce a fresh round.

I had some 40 S&W Corbons that had a very short life.

Even quality ammo can fail.

Over careful is not a bad thing.

Be safe.

jdavionic
02-13-2012, 16:26
It is possible to break down the crimp and push the bullet back into the case by repeatedly cycling the same round. When I cycle rounds, I usually switch up which round gets chambered and I periodically check them to see that the bullet isn't getting pushed in.

yamen1999
02-13-2012, 18:59
You may want to get a box of regular JHP and use them as your first round. I change out my top round every 3rd or 4th that it's rechambered. Buy getting the regular JHP you get 50 rounds for the price of 20 self defense rounds.

I messured my rounds after rechambering and found that setback occured at the 5th rechamber. That's why I change at the 3rd or 4th round.

Keoking
02-13-2012, 20:10
I keep a sharpie in my range bag. The first time a round comes out of the gun without being fired, the head gets a mark. The second time, it gets another mark to form a large X. It then gets rotated to the bottom of the magazine. Once the entire mag is full of X rounds, that mag gets rotated into a backup magazine.
This goes on until all carry mags are X'ed. The next time I go to the range, all rounds get fired and it starts all over.
I got this system from a thread years ago, and there are more than a few folks doing the exact same thing.

Steve50
02-16-2012, 11:52
I leave the carry gun loaded.

HerrGlock
02-16-2012, 12:17
I leave it loaded and just shoot the magazine I've been carrying as the first magazine every time I go to the range. Reassurance the stuff I've been carrying for a week to a month actually works 100% and eliminates setback issues.

Sam Spade
02-17-2012, 21:04
Besides the setback already mentioned, I was shown a new one last week.

Guy kept rechambering the same two rounds every other day (he unloaded the duty gun when he got home, round from magazine went to chamber, round from chamber topped off magazine). Off to the range finally and *click*. wondering what was wrong with the factory load, it got dissected by range staff. The primer compound had been knocked loose from the primer cup.

I admit I've never seen it myself. Setback, of course, but never a dud primer from that.

SouthernBoyVA
02-17-2012, 21:19
With Glocks, you can safely "ride the slide" and get a positive slide-into-full-battery. The extractor does not ride over the case rim... it comes up into the detent which makes riding the slide an Ok thing with the Glock. This results in no setbacks that I have ever seen and I've done it hundreds of times, perhaps in the low thousands. You cannot do this with many guns but you can with a Glock.

Green Dragoon
02-18-2012, 06:08
With Glocks, you can safely "ride the slide" and get a positive slide-into-full-battery. The extractor does not ride over the case rim... it comes up into the detent which makes riding the slide an Ok thing with the Glock. This results in no setbacks that I have ever seen and I've done it hundreds of times, perhaps in the low thousands. You cannot do this with many guns but you can with a Glock.

This is what I do. I still inspect the round for dings and such on the rim and for overall condition.

I used to even do this with a 1911 when I was an armored car driver back in the early 80's. Back then, Winchester Silvertips were my carry round. The nose of the round would get deformed even before setback would occur. The extractor of the 1911 would "slip" over the rim just fine. Eventually though, the rim would get nicked up.

SouthernBoyVA
02-18-2012, 06:45
This is what I do. I still inspect the round for dings and such on the rim and for overall condition.

I used to even do this with a 1911 when I was an armored car driver back in the early 80's. Back then, Winchester Silvertips were my carry round. The nose of the round would get deformed even before setback would occur. The extractor of the 1911 would "slip" over the rim just fine. Eventually though, the rim would get nicked up.

I also inspect rounds that I have rechambered each and every time before rechambering them. I very carefully compare them to other rounds in the magazine to make certain there is no setback. I have found the Glock design (really a finely design and machined feed ramp) to be the best of the guns I own at rechambering with a slide ride. A few guns I have will not chamber with this method at all; Kahr for example.

So we are left in a bit of a quandary with this. We want to, and should, keep our SD guns loaded and chambered and ready to go. But we should also perform frequent trigger discipline practice to include draw and fire with an unloaded gun. Which means once done with this practice, we need to reload again. I have found what I do to be fine for my purposes and shall continue to do so.

And I should add that my M&P's also support slide riding in terms of the extractor slipping up into the rim indent rather than over the rim. The only difference with the M&P is there is a little more resistance at the feed ramp so I really have to watch my rounds with these guns.

Bill Lumberg
02-18-2012, 08:06
Setback from repeated chambering is universal. It happens to all rounds, it's just a question of how many rechamberings it takes. Notably shorter, get rid of it.

quichedem
02-18-2012, 10:50
FWIW, I've cycled a magazine full of Gold Dots up to a year with no problems. Shot those rounds without a single problem. While it pays to be on top of things, realize that ammunition is rather resilient. If you're in the habit of keeping your firearms locked up when you're home with your kids, I would think that would be more than a sufficient safety method to not worry about a chambered round, but I'm with the "new school mentality" of loaded chambers on safetyless firearms...

TBO
02-18-2012, 11:03
What others have said, and: Tossing 1 round away is cheaper than perhaps tossing something a bit more important away over 10 cents.

jmho

SouthernBoyVA
02-18-2012, 14:05
I tend to be quite anal about this issue regardless of which gun I am rechambering. As I mentioned, I very carefully compare the rechambered round(s) with others in the magazine which have not gone through my rechambering technique every time I reload the gun. I even stand them up on my desk and lay a straight edge across them (a ruler works well) to make sure the heights are the same. I haven't yet gotten to the point of using my caliper yet, but who knows.

I also look for scratches and indentations in the case wall and any undo scratching on the rim. All it takes is one mistake and I would just as soon avoid that one mistake.

opus1776
02-18-2012, 19:01
...This basically means I have to repeatedly load and unload the top round in the mag.... Anyone think the repeated cycling of a round can cause an issue?

Yes, one day you are going to touch one off and have an ND in the house. If you are LUCKY, your wife or kids won't get killed. The constant loading and unloading is a recipe for a disaster....:wow:

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin...

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours....

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

vtbluegrass
02-18-2012, 23:12
Simply answer addressed by the first response is yes an issue can arise with set-back. If something doesn't look right with the cartridge measure it and get rid of it if it is short. I solve the problem by shooting atleast one mags worth of carry ammo on each range trip and load up with new ammo. If for some reason I unload my nightstand or carry gun I rotate the top round to avoid the slight chance of a problem with set-back.

Only once have I seen set back occur in any of my weapons and it was some Hornady LeverEvolution in my lever gun(336 Marlin). It was probably a result of recoil and the magazine tube spring constantly pushing on the rounds. I contacted Hornady about the poor crimp on the ammo and was sent a coupon for a free box of ammo.