Trigger job... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trigger job...

Chewy Montenegro
02-13-2012, 23:06
I'm thinking about getting a custom trigger job done on my 1911 and Im just curious as to how it works. Ive browsed the shops website and they dont seem to list any triggers so do they just tune the one thats on there or will they install a new one? Also, there are two options. One for a 3.5-5 lb. trigger for $65 or a 2-3 lb. trigger for $85. Which would be best for simple range time and any other info is welcomed.

Thanks

CMG
02-13-2012, 23:25
Questions like this should really be answered by "the shop". They are the only ones who can authoritatively tell you what is included in their trigger jobs.

As for weight of pull, 4 pounds is where I like my general purpose guns, but in all honesty, I find a crisp let-off to be more important than pull weight.

Three-Five-Seven
02-14-2012, 10:07
In general, the sear angle is stoned and the resulting face is polished. Then, the secondary angle is stoned and polished to eliminate creep. Finally the hammer hooks are squared, lowered to spec, and polished.

This results in a 4 to 4.5 pound trigger when the mainspring is lightened and other components of the trigger group are polished.

To go below this weight requires lightening the sear spring, disconnector spring, mainspring (even more), and making the sear angle more negative as opposed to neutral. These modifications can compromise the operation of the gun (doubling, safety failure, hammering of the slide, hammer follow) and must be done very carefully to balance reliability with lightness of pull.

It's impossible to say which option you should choose. This answer depends on the kinds of games you play with the pistol and the (consequent) ammunition you run it with.

After watching countless failures at the line associated with modified fire control, I'd say you better be absolutely sure what you're asking for and what the consequences can be. Further, the quality and integrity of the gunsmith must be paramount in your considerations.

In general, it is not possible to get a first class trigger job with a weight of under 4 pounds for 85 bucks.

With regard to replacement of parts, sears and hammers are only replaced when they don't meet specs to begin with. Otherwise, the existing parts are used.

Big Wes
02-15-2012, 16:26
I have a 4lb. trigger job on my full size Springfield and it's the cats meow, smooth as silk, and well worth the $35.00 it cost me way back when.

I suggest a 4lb trigger job personally.