Laser Sight Issues? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laser Sight Issues?

Farmalljon
02-14-2012, 11:11
Mas, Some of the new ultra-compact laser sights available these days seem like a viable option on a weapon used for concealed carry. Not too long ago the available laser sights were just too big and bulky to effectively use on a weapon that you are trying to conceal. If one was to use a laser sight on his/her everyday concealed carry weapon, and heaven forbid had to use the weapon to defend themselves, Would there be issues in the courtroom? I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear your take on it. Thanks for all the invaluable advice you offer.....

Mas Ayoob
02-14-2012, 17:40
Farmalljon, the lawyers who attack you in court go out of their way to study the jury pool as to their perceptions of issues they, the lawyers, might bring up. They realize that TV and movies have made laser sights look like ninja assassination tools to the general public that constitutes the jury pool, and yes, I've seen them play on that.

In one case I was involved in a few years ago, they made a huge deal out of the fact that a guy in his '50s had one on the Glock he shot his attacker with. The attorney, using me as defense expert witness and judiciously cross-examining the state's experts, was able to establish that this was a responsible thing that allowed the man to be less likely to hit an innocent bystander if he had to fire his gun in self-defense under less than optimal light conditions. (The fatal shooting took place, literally, on a "dark and stormy night" outdoors.) The jury understood, and acquitted him on all charges related to the shooting. (Though they found him guilty of illegally carrying without a permit in that jurisdiction, which is another story.)

I have often carried laser sight equipped handguns and would feel perfectly comfortable defending the practice in court, as we successfully did in the case mentioned above.

best,
Mas

Farmalljon
02-14-2012, 21:14
Thanks for your input Mas. I will now take a closer look at what laser sights might be available for my HK USP 45. ----Jon