Lets talk about greying out military gear [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about greying out military gear

WilyCoyote
02-14-2012, 17:47
So this is a spinoff thread from a consideration I had about cutting off spare PALS from my MAX bag. The question is whether Maxpedition or other gear can be modified enough to keep it's great attributes while appearing less or not like such an obvious military or police bag.

This kinda begs the questions about what make Max/5.11/Blackhawk gear readily identifiable as such. So make a list:

-Product emblems
-PALS webbing
-Boxy looking pouches
-Military color schemes: Black, Tans, Greens, ACU
-Are there others?

To grey out gear like this every one of these factors must be modified in some way, which is why I'm considering stripping the PALS in the first place.

Please list any other attributes about this gear that makes it not grey and provide suggestions on how to camoflauge these attributes.

A couple ideas I came up with include blatantly misidentifying the product by sewing on a Jansport or similar product tag or putting a frayed 4'5" strip of duct tape on the corner of the bag tomake it appear low quality or totally abused.

Let's hear some other ideas

W

Devans0
02-14-2012, 23:05
I keep some items of value are in a garbage can, under a plastic bag with faux garbage plastic bag lid in the basement. Plastic garbage bags with the good stuff and a layer of salvation army garbage will hide about anything. An old furnace shell hides a safe. I thought about a fake cold air vent coming off the rafters of the basement, but haven't done anything about that yet. There are too many options for a built out shell-wall that seem easier.

Then there is the crawl space under the addition to the house that will become the vault room. I'm waiting for warmer weather for that. The house is old and the addition was built before I bought the house.

There is a safe buried under my basement. The house was flooded and the safe wouldn't open after that. There was nothing of value in it but the crane company wanted a grand to haul it away AFTER I got it out of the basement. (It was huge and extremely heavy). I jack hammered out the floor, dug a deep hole, pushed the safe in, buried it and re-poured the floor. Getting any ideas yet?

racerford
02-14-2012, 23:37
........... There is a safe buried under my basement. The house was flooded and the safe wouldn't open after that. There was nothing of value in it but the crane company wanted a grand to haul it away AFTER I got it out of the basement. (It was huge and extremely heavy). I jack hammered out the floor, dug a deep hole, pushed the safe in, buried it and re-poured the floor. Getting any ideas yet?

Who did you say was in the safe? Do you know the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa :whistling:

wjv
02-15-2012, 00:53
Or you could start out with something that looks like this:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/Sorcerer.jpg
Asolo Sorcerer Technical 33 Liters (~$90)

Instead of this:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet02/PYGMY.jpg
Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon-II 23 Liters (~$65)

OR

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet02/FinalApproach_1.jpg
Final Approach Medium 41 Liters (~$70)

It still has:
- attachment points
- frame to keep it off your back
- built in rain cover
- straps on the bottom to carry a bed roll
- large side pockets
- multiple sections
- waist belt
- side compression straps

And doesn't scream TACTICAL

Bolster
02-15-2012, 00:58
^ That's the solution, IMO.

Here's my GHB, a Kelty Redtail. Not much to look at.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/RZbDlwWf1H024x6qSRJqNG8xYN46GUdjn9ZsoBrAtRjvwOiuSZGvl-HLiKq9mk7MKF2LcbqCV32z2mWSZl-5qF7lipb4A845DVeCErDNAEmArjOS2Ur5Bs-LmSrxfDjRnGxModcWzqG7hQ

RedHaze
02-15-2012, 01:09
Best advice to being grey... start grey.

Check this one out. <$25 at walmart. Skyline 8.0
I picked it up over a year ago now. Totally held up to everything I've done with it.

Says it's 1849 ci, but it carries extremely well.
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k595/cdhock/2010-12-05144015.jpg
Specs.
Removable aluminum stay
Hydration Bladder pocket
Port and clip zippered top access main compartment
Vertical main compartment zipper access
Vertical Front pocket
Waistbelt pockets
Side compression straps
Side water bottle pockets
Load lifters
Sternum strap

M1A Shooter
02-15-2012, 02:03
the outdoor products bags at walmart actually hold up a bit better than i would have imagined. i keep mine stuffed with edc stuff and college text books and it gets dragged through my truck full of tools and thrown around the house and school etc.

Javelin
02-15-2012, 02:10
OP: I went to China-Mart and purchased a weather-proof cover that goes over my Blackhawk Raptor bag for like $5.

The $5 cover looks something like this:

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/STS/STS0050/BL.jpg

WilyCoyote
02-15-2012, 03:34
I do have some grey, non name brand packs, but they just arent as user and CCW friendly as my Noatak. I like the ideas for a cover, but I want to do something more with that than just cover it up. One idea was to scrap my Jansport to make a Jansport mask cover for the bag. I also wanted to try and find some multicam fabric to make another cover in case I need to stash the bag and return to it.

Raiden
02-15-2012, 09:25
I start gray, but have some supplies to go grunge. I've done some hobo treks, where everything was repurposed junk and 2nd hand stuff. Wasn't too bad. My pal and I were the ugliest guys on the trail, but we also seemed to be no less comfortable than the guys with $1000+ strapped to their backs.

I've since done similar trips, but I cheated a little by bringing a few more modern amenities. But, with a little burlap and a few contractor bags, I still looked like a vagabond. As long as I wasn't acting up, or trespassing, I practically disappeared while walking around a fairly populated suburban downtown area. A lot of people go out of their way to ignore such elements of society.

Hey, you know who seems move around really well, while still carrying a lot of gear...? Press photographers and cameramen. On numerous occasions, I've seen folks slip in and out of restricted trade show events and rallies without credentials, because they looked the part. I've seen tan photography vests and equipment backpacks that would put some tactical gear to shame - pouches, webbing, compartments, strapping, and rings galore. And yet, they rarely get paid any mind, in a crowd. It's funny how many people are actually conditioned to actively ignore cameramen and press. That's some nice plain-sight camouflage, right there.

Devans0
02-15-2012, 09:27
Who did you say was in the safe? Do you know the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa :whistling:

Along with second amendment rights, I believe in fourth amendment rights. Ya want any answers, talk to my mothpiec... legal representation.

Devans0
02-15-2012, 09:31
I like, really like the Great Wall mart cover bag. Photog stuff is great but screams expensive gear to steal IMO. Better for urban. I'd rather go rural.

Bolster
02-15-2012, 10:11
Although I can seldom bring myself to do it, intentional defacement of one's own gear is an option. Such as, spray-painting part of your bag, or a sewn-up rip, etc.

Javelin
02-15-2012, 21:24
I like, really like the Great Wall mart cover bag. Photog stuff is great but screams expensive gear to steal IMO. Better for urban. I'd rather go rural.

Yeah the cover is the easiest way to go 'grey man' with good tactical gear. And my opinion no outdoor backpack that you plan on extended hiking etc is complete without a weather proof cover.

I guess you could go without a cover if one enjoys inclement weather and wet/soggy/cold/frozen equipment. Besides the equipment is heavy enough than the added weight of a soaked bag. And the $5 Outdoor cover really cinches over the bag w/ draw string for a good tight fit.

Anyway, I have beaten this subject enough. It's not like folks here haven't been backpacking before.

:wavey:

20South
02-15-2012, 23:03
I believe you may be over thinking this whole gray bag thing. If things are so bad that you are actually using your GHB to get home then any full backpack is going to make you a target. Women get knock off purses robbed with regularity in todays world with some semblance of law and order. Now imagine a whole slew of even more desperate people spotting some guy with a full <insert name of backpack here>. Tactical or not, you look like you have stuff they don't. As far as tactical goes, I see everyone from campers and college aged kids to businessmen in airports and corporate office spaces nowadays with packs that I know good and well have nothing in them but laptops and paperwork but yet they are covered in webbing, tiedowns, para, etc. good luck in your planning and hopefully you land somewhere you find comfortable.

Akita
02-17-2012, 11:00
Add a large 'Hello Kitty; sticker/patch?

WolfNotSheep
02-17-2012, 11:43
It might just be the local climate here in Richmond, but I see an awful lot of people carrying milsurp and camo/tacticool bags...just slap a few buttons or patches from Hot Topic on it and you're libtard camo is complete.

syntaxerrorsix
02-18-2012, 10:42
Add a large 'Hello Kitty; sticker/patch?

Why not.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO43cNhja1FSlYYuVz3bKIuwp4mrk5r9ZtClUGQyJyobfnYbPx4A

:supergrin:

ray9898
02-18-2012, 17:22
I don't see what "greying out" will do to help anything in a true crisis situation. If it really gets that bad no one is going to be lugging backpacks around with books and such so there is no one to blend in with.

Anyone with a pack full of stuff will stand out and anyone with common sense will know they are probably transporting something of value if they are going through that trouble.

racerford
02-18-2012, 18:14
I work at a large global corporation in an office that is a "pencil pushers". Everyday, coming and going I lots of people, almost all men that are carry backpacks of many shapes and sizes. Some also carry laptop bags is ballistic nylon. They do not have as many pockets as a County Comm bail out bag, but is you carried one, few would look twice except maybe ask where you got it.

So as long as you stick to basic colors, especially black, and are a man I don't think many will pay attention.

Now if you go with camo or a 5000+ cubic inch internally or externally framed backpack you will likely be noticed. :)

KBoyd
02-24-2012, 07:55
I see 5.11 has the COVRT line which looks pretty grey to me. I personally try to stick with all black which IMO "blends in" a little better than od or tan.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RatDrall
02-24-2012, 09:06
It might just be the local climate here in Richmond, but I see an awful lot of people carrying milsurp and camo/tacticool bags...just slap a few buttons or patches from Hot Topic on it and you're libtard camo is complete.

This has been my experience. I use either a Pygmy Falcon or a Larkspur messenger bag from Maxpedition, and get lots of compliments from college kids, yuppies, and metrosexuals asking me where they can get that backpack with the water bottle holders.

No one cares about your MOLLE webbing, unless you have magazine pouches hanging off of it. If CIA ninjas (or whatever it is you're afraid of) are out to get you, they will be able to tell you are armed whether or not your backpack is tacticool...

glockguerilla
02-24-2012, 21:33
I try to practice 'grey man directive.' Link:
http://greyenigma.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/the-grey-man-directive-survival-think-tank/

I'm very happy with my 'covert 18' pack frpm 511 Tactical:
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/COVRT/COVRT-18-Backpack.html

AK_Stick
02-25-2012, 11:00
Grey is a misnomer.

You may think you blend in, but most of the time, you don't. Its more that the people around you aren't looking.

Carrying a jansport backpack, or a frayed peice of duct tape doesn't make you gray any more than the backpack with molle on it makes me a soldier.