Varmint Gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Varmint Gun

The Pirate
02-14-2012, 19:02
Looking to build a varmint gun for coyote's. Here's what I'm planning on getting unless somebody can tell me something better.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g353/boostd54/uvarm20.jpg

Here's the link: http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=263

It's going on a RRA lower with a 2 stage trigger.

The reason I'm on here is this upper is what I'm looking for but so far the only place I've really seen this is at Model 1 Sales. I checked out PSA and a few others with no luck. Let me know if you know of a better option, I don't care to spend a little money. At this point it looks like I'm gonna end up with more money in glass on top of it than I have in the upper.

bmoore
02-15-2012, 10:34
Anything in 22-250 is better. Kinda joking, kinda not. That thing looks way too big and heavy to lug around and my stands are very close to the truck. I think just standard M4 profile guns work fine for hunting and never saw the need for the heavy bull, long barrels. If you are bent on the AR platform for yotes then by all means get what will make you happy. I bought an upper for coyote hunting last year and it never left the truck, always took my 22-250 or 243. Do you have experience with predator calling? Have you taken coyote before?

223 lags on the other side of 200 yards. I know if you read on the internet enough people will have you thinking that a 5.56 out of 14.5 inch barrel will turn anything into dust at 300 yards but its just not true. Most of the guys I predator call for shoot 223.......here is my experience. Doesnt matter if the dog is hit in the vitals with a Hornady Vmax, pointed soft point or Nosler. They usually jump/spin and take off for 50 to 100 yards and then crump. Sometimes this is ok and sometimes its a pain depending on where your hunting. When hit with a 22-250 or 243 its like you pulled their cord out of the socket, they fold right there. The speed and energy really do make a difference, especially at distance.

If you are sold on the AR platform by all means get it, it is very accurate, reliable and it will get the job done. Im just not a fan of big heavy rifles of predator calling. And my 22-250 and 243 are my go to rifles. Thats my opinion.

eclark53520
02-15-2012, 10:40
Agree with Bmoore...

I don't see the advantage to a Semi-auto yote gun, unless you're just happening on them while working on the farm, and have to attempt to shoot them running.

Too heavy, too awkward, not enough juice for long shots.

It will work, no doubt about that, but there are draw backs to that style firearm.

mgs
02-15-2012, 11:48
Yes....too heavy for walking-about, Mike.

Brian Lee
02-15-2012, 16:21
If you want a varmint rifle, I really don't see any sense in trying to mix that feeling with anything military style. Get a bolt action rifle for varmint shooting & do it right.

AK's, AR's, and M whatever's are not the gun for everything, and this kind of stuff reminds me of a 4WD truck frame under a Ford Pinto body. Not that I'm saying an AR is a Pinto, but it's just that this is a mixture of two ideas that I don't think go well together.

If you need bench rest rifle accuracy, an AR is not the gun and a heavy barrel won't turn it into a true bench rest rifle. If all you need to do is hit wild dogs in the ass at 2 or 300 yards then use the AR stock form & skip the needlessly heavy barrel that won't really help anyway.

Do military snipers do any serious work with heavy barreled converted AR's, or do they use something else - something more like a bolt action?

TreyG-20
02-15-2012, 17:17
Does it come with a BCG and CH?

vafish
02-15-2012, 17:29
If you want a varmint rifle, I really don't see any sense in trying to mix that feeling with anything military style. Get a bolt action rifle for varmint shooting & do it right.

AK's, AR's, and M whatever's are not the gun for everything, and this kind of stuff reminds me of a 4WD truck frame under a Ford Pinto body. Not that I'm saying an AR is a Pinto, but it's just that this is a mixture of two ideas that I don't think go well together.

If you need bench rest rifle accuracy, an AR is not the gun and a heavy barrel won't turn it into a true bench rest rifle. If all you need to do is hit wild dogs in the ass at 2 or 300 yards then use the AR stock form & skip the needlessly heavy barrel that won't really help anyway.

Do military snipers do any serious work with heavy barreled converted AR's, or do they use something else - something more like a bolt action?

Guess you haven't seen the sr25 based sniper rifles.

Or seen what AA heavy barreled ar15 can do. They keep up just fine with off the rack bolt actions.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

The Pirate
02-15-2012, 18:49
Anything in 22-250 is better. Kinda joking, kinda not. That thing looks way too big and heavy to lug around and my stands are very close to the truck. I think just standard M4 profile guns work fine for hunting and never saw the need for the heavy bull, long barrels. If you are bent on the AR platform for yotes then by all means get what will make you happy. I bought an upper for coyote hunting last year and it never left the truck, always took my 22-250 or 243. Do you have experience with predator calling? Have you taken coyote before?

223 lags on the other side of 200 yards. I know if you read on the internet enough people will have you thinking that a 5.56 out of 14.5 inch barrel will turn anything into dust at 300 yards but its just not true. Most of the guys I predator call for shoot 223.......here is my experience. Doesnt matter if the dog is hit in the vitals with a Hornady Vmax, pointed soft point or Nosler. They usually jump/spin and take off for 50 to 100 yards and then crump. Sometimes this is ok and sometimes its a pain depending on where your hunting. When hit with a 22-250 or 243 its like you pulled their cord out of the socket, they fold right there. The speed and energy really do make a difference, especially at distance.

If you are sold on the AR platform by all means get it, it is very accurate, reliable and it will get the job done. Im just not a fan of big heavy rifles of predator calling. And my 22-250 and 243 are my go to rifles. Thats my opinion.

That was a very insightful and thought out post, I appreciate it. I own a few bolt guns. I'm not looking to replace them. I hunt in central Kentucky and if you havn't been around here much, it's mostly hills and hollars. Most of my shots on coyote are from a tractor, atv, or truck at 150 yards or less. When we do actually go hunting, we use a foxpro firestorm and shots are still about the same distance.

Truth about it, a .243 would hit harder. But, I do have a nice spare lower laying here and need something on it.
I have 2 lightweight AR's, and the one I'm using right now for this has a M4 barrel and a Trijicon Tri-Power and gets the job done.

Agree with Bmoore...

I don't see the advantage to a Semi-auto yote gun, unless you're just happening on them while working on the farm, and have to attempt to shoot them running.

Too heavy, too awkward, not enough juice for long shots.

It will work, no doubt about that, but there are draw backs to that style firearm.

You nailed where I shoot at them the most, on our farm. Could be from the truck or tractor but it's usually when I'm doing something besides hunting that I see them. I've carried everything from lever guns, to bolt guns, to AR's and for me an AR-15 gets the job done good enough and rides good in tractors and on ATV's and I don't have to worry about beating it up a little.

Guess you haven't seen the sr25 based sniper rifles.

Or seen what AA heavy barreled ar15 can do. They keep up just fine with off the rack bolt actions.

I've found out exactly that over time. I can shoot a 16" AR with a decent trigger and optics as good as any basic bolt gun I own.

I appreciate all your guys thoughts and I guess the model 1 upper is as good a choice as any for what I'm doing. I have shot a bull barreled AR before and it seems to soak up a little bit of the recoil. I liked how it felt and I do realize it's a little heavier, but I don't walk a lot with any rifle, it's usually setting in a truck, etc.

Any more thoughts are welcome, I'm probably not gonna pick one up till the Knob Creek shoot this spring.

The Pirate
02-15-2012, 18:51
Also forgot, I've probably got 3000+ rounds of .223 around here. Thats a big plus, I can actually afford to shoot an AR.

farmer2
02-15-2012, 20:08

My experience with .223 has been quite different. I exclusively use a .223 ar-15 for my coyote hunting with hornady v-max bullets. Assuming a solid lung or heart hit, the coyotes I have shot drop instantly. I am no long range shooter, but I have hit several over 300 yards and my furthest was 407yrds. I live on a 1500acre ranch and have shot over 30 in one year. There are obviously more potent coyote calibers, but .223 is so cheap to shoot and reload that it is an excellent choice in my opinion.

farmer2

bmoore
02-15-2012, 20:17
My experience with .223 has been quite different. I exclusively use a .223 ar-15 for my coyote hunting with hornady v-max bullets. Assuming a solid lung or heart hit, the coyotes I have shot drop instantly. I am no long range shooter, but I have hit several over 300 yards and my furthest was 407yrds. I live on a 1500acre ranch and have shot over 30 in one year. There are obviously more potent coyote calibers, but .223 is so cheap to shoot and reload that it is an excellent choice in my opinion.

farmer2

More times than not for me they do the jump/spin take off a little ways dance. I have seen one dump on the spot that was about 130 yards with a Vmax, but I have seen them inside of 80 yards do the dance. I understand 223 is probably the most popular cartridge for yotes, Im just partial to my 22-250. Would I hunt with my AR? In a heart beat, in fact I have taken a couple with a regular old iron site M4; but you will not catch me with an 18-24 inch bull barrel AR.

farmer2
02-15-2012, 20:47
More times than not for me they do the jump/spin take off a little ways dance. I have seen one dump on the spot that was about 130 yards with a Vmax, but I have seen them inside of 80 yards do the dance. I understand 223 is probably the most popular cartridge for yotes, Im just partial to my 22-250. Would I hunt with my AR? In a heart beat, in fact I have taken a couple with a regular old iron site M4; but you will not catch me with an 18-24 inch bull barrel AR.

I agree that a heavy profile barrel is unnecessary. My first ar-15 was a bushmaster Hbar that shot just under 1moa. My current coyote gun is a BCM midlength with a 16" barrel. It actually shoots a little better than the bushmaster. ar-15's are so accurate in the most basic configuration that it really is unecessary to add the extra weight. I think this conversation has inspired me to go pick off a coyote tomorrow morning before work!

farmer2

Brian Lee
02-16-2012, 09:13
Guess you haven't seen...................... what AA heavy barreled ar15 can do. They keep up just fine with off the rack bolt actions.

Or maybe people just have different standards of what a "good" bolt action rifle should do, vs someone else's standard of what an "off the rack" rifle is expected to do. When I'm thinking about varmint rifles I'm not talking about being happy with cheap (or simply overpriced) bolt action crap that some might refer to as "off the rack", (some come off the rack a lot better than others) nor would I be impressed with rifles that need to be compared to that low standard to come out ahead.

The truth about what dominates long range competitions is what it is, and it isn't AR's with fat barrels. I see AR's as a rifle that can nicely do the job formerly done by lever actions - lever guns can have scopes & be pretty accurate too - but the bolt action still rules in it's particular world & at the longest ranges, and especially on groundhog day.

bmoore
02-16-2012, 15:30
I agree that a heavy profile barrel is unnecessary. My first ar-15 was a bushmaster Hbar that shot just under 1moa. My current coyote gun is a BCM midlength with a 16" barrel. It actually shoots a little better than the bushmaster. ar-15's are so accurate in the most basic configuration that it really is unecessary to add the extra weight. I think this conversation has inspired me to go pick off a coyote tomorrow morning before work!

farmer2

Lol!, go nail one! My dad and I were literally just talking about this on our way back from the desert shooting range. AR's shoot so accurate it is ridiculous. I built him just a basic 20" A2 for christmas with a plane jane DPMS 20" A2 upper on it and that gun lays them in there. I like the style of your coyote gun. I just put together a midlength lightweight PSA rifle kit and shot it today. What a shooter, light and balances very well.

bmoore
02-16-2012, 15:33
OP sounds like you have a good idea what you want and how to get there with the experience to match. Good luck with your new stick! Post pics when you get it buttoned up. I also use a Foxpro (FX3), gotta love those things. Last October down in the desert I had one come into the call inside of 30 seconds on prarie dog distress.

The Pirate
02-17-2012, 18:50
OP sounds like you have a good idea what you want and how to get there with the experience to match. Good luck with your new stick! Post pics when you get it buttoned up. I also use a Foxpro (FX3), gotta love those things. Last October down in the desert I had one come into the call inside of 30 seconds on prarie dog distress.

I appreciate it! It's gonna be a couple months probably, but I'll definitely post a pic. As I said earlier, I have 2 m4 style rifles so I don't need another one. I know I don't need it, but the bull barrel will make it a little different from my others and I'll get to use my spare lower.

Foxpro's are badass. I think everbody needs one, hunter or not :supergrin: I've found most of the time if we don't call something out pretty quick, we usually won't see much that evening.

Teecher45
02-17-2012, 20:08
Looks great. If that is what I wanted then I would get it and shoot the crap out of it.
We live on a farm in W. KY and never pass up the chance to "Protect the cattle".
As far as a .223 on a coyote, I have shot them with 75 gr TAP's, A-MAX, in AR's and .243 and 30/06 in bolts. Just like shooting deer, bear, elk, or anything I guess. There is no magic bullet. Some have been hit well and ran, some dropped like a rock.
Dunno...
Just shoot them in the vitals and go find them.

FreakyBig
02-17-2012, 22:35
I've got the same upper and it is too heavy for anything other than bench shooting. I definitely would not want to lug it around the woods. It has a 10x SS on it until I can afford NightForce glass.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c182/FreakyBig/IMG_0923.jpg

faawrenchbndr
02-18-2012, 09:23
Come on Fellas,,.........a bull barrel AR15 is NOT to heavy to
carry for varmint hunting!

Out Fore Fathers lugged around 11 LBS+ M1 Garands all over the planet!

We, as a generation, need to harden the F' up and hit the gym!

P.S.

A 20" Varmint barreled RRA upper would make a sweet coyote
getter out to 350m+

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 10:38
I like my Bushmaster predator. Fairly light and super accurate with the 75 grain BTHP ammo!

DirectDrive
02-18-2012, 11:33
OP, don't get the ER Shaw from M1S.
You can get a Wilson barrelled upper from RRA for about the same price.

1. Your chances of a good shooter go up.
2. You will be dealing with a better company.

Now if the Shaw was being prepped by ARP or Bison I would say go for it.

bmoore
02-18-2012, 12:56

P.S.

getter out to 350m+

Just as long as you never had to shoot a coyote at 350 meters with it, yeah then it would be rad to sit on your workbench and show it to all your friends. 223 sucks at those distances, especially in wind. On paper im sure there great fun, but when you are trying to sit something down and make it stop breathing quickly............they suck. Nobody is saying its so heavy a man cannot do it, its just dumb to lug it around because it brings you zero advantages. My light Stevens model 200 with a rifle basix trigger will put them in the same hole all day long if I could shoot worth a damn.

faawrenchbndr
02-18-2012, 13:12
Just as long as you never had to shoot a coyote at 350 meters with it, yeah then it would be rad to sit on your workbench and show it to all your friends.....

.223 Rem will get the job done at that distance,.....easily!
My choice for 250m and beyond would be my FN SPR in .308
or my AR10.

I guess carrying a "heavy rifle" is more difficult for some than others.
I'd rather bring a heavier quality rifle to the shot, than a marginal
lighter weight rifle. Just my opinion, I use an FN SPR as a deer
rifle. Set up it tips the scale at 14# loaded......works for me.

bmoore
02-18-2012, 14:42
.223 Rem will get the job done at that distance,.....easily!
My choice for 250m and beyond would be my FN SPR in .308
or my AR10.

I guess carrying a "heavy rifle" is more difficult for some than others.
I'd rather bring a heavier quality rifle to the shot, than a marginal
lighter weight rifle. Just my opinion, I use an FN SPR as a deer
rifle. Set up it tips the scale at 14# loaded......works for me.

Lol well then by all means doggy post up some pics of those 350 meter varmint kills with a 223. Comparing deer hunting to predator calling is laughable. Completely different styles of hunting. I dont want to carry a 14 pound rifle and my 26 inch pump shotgun from stand to stand. Oh and I almost forgot, we know we know nothing but the best equipment for you, no "marginal" rifles for you. If anybody forgets that you have the best stuff they can just aks you.

farmer2
02-18-2012, 19:09

P.S.

getter out to 350m+

Obviously, a varmint barreled ar-15 isn't too heavy to carry. However, I see no reason to carry a heavy barreled rifle when its not necessary. Especially, when the average ar-15 will shoot sub moa out of the box with good handloads. Why not have a light rifle if you can. Kind of like, "having your cake and eating it too."

farmer2

TxGun
02-18-2012, 19:28
Pirate, you'll get a lot of opinions, of course. But my advice is: do what YOU want to do. You want to make use of an on-hand lower and a lot of on-hand ammo. Makes sense. Most of your shots are 150 yards or less...the 5.56/.223 is far more than lethal enough at those ranges, as I'm sure you know...I've killed a lot of feral hogs with the 5.56 and it never fails me. You probably don't need the varmint profile barrel, but as you said, you'd like something different than you already have...then go for it. There are other options available that you might check into, but I've seen a couple of really good Shaw barrels. Everyone on-line is an expert, lol...but YOU are the only one who knows the conditions on the ground where you hunt and all the variables in play there.

faawrenchbndr
02-18-2012, 19:28
Damn fellas,.......can't a guy state his opinion?
A .223 is fine for coyotes out to 350m.
A bull barrel AR or bolt rifle is only too heavy for "Nancy Boys"

Spend more time trying to answer the OP's questions & less
time stirring the **** pot starting arguments!

Another thread drug through the mud by *******s!

faawrenchbndr
02-18-2012, 19:30
Pirate, you'll get a lot of opinions of course. But do what you want to do. You want to make use of an on-hand lower and a lot of on-hand ammo. Makes sense. most of your shots are 150 yards or less...the 5.56/.223 is far more than lethal enough at those ranges as I'm sure you know. (I use my AR for hogs down here...head shots at night, solar-powered landscape lights...lighted reticle scope, and they drop like sacks of cement). You probably don't need the varmint profile, but if you like it...and want something different than you already have...go for it. Those are my opinions. And opinions are all you'll get here. Everyone is an expert, of course...except YOU are the only one who knows the conditions on the ground where you hunt and all the variables thereon.

Darn good post,..........

Matthew Courtney
02-18-2012, 19:49
Spending top dollar for a barrel without getting a bolt trued to it is kind of like putting a nightforce on a moisin-nagant..... you could, but it isn't the way most informed folks would allocate resources.

bmoore
02-18-2012, 20:34
Damn fellas,.......can't a guy state his opinion?
A .223 is fine for coyotes out to 350m.
A bull barrel AR or bolt rifle is only too heavy for "Nancy Boys"

Spend more time trying to answer the OP's questions & less
time stirring the **** pot starting arguments!

Another thread drug through the mud by *******s!

Did you miss my numerous replies to the OP with actual information? Days before yours, come on player.

MD357
02-18-2012, 23:57

P.S.

getter out to 350m+

No lie there.

faawrenchbndr
02-19-2012, 05:27
Did you miss my numerous replies to the OP with actual information? Days before yours, come on player.

Nope,......I saw all that. Was not singling out you.

rkwrichard
02-19-2012, 08:40
The only thing I would change would be to go with a 16" or 18" barrel. The loss in velocity would be more than compensated for by the reduced weight in the field. I have both 20" and 16" and love to shoot them both. But for long day in the field the 16" will serve you well. Also spend the extra for fluted and a great trigger.

bmoore
02-19-2012, 10:55
Nope,......I saw all that. Was not singling out you.

Copy that :wavey:

faawrenchbndr
02-19-2012, 11:29
Copy that :wavey:
Suppose I could have worded comments differently.
I was mainly focusing on the bashing of a heavy barrel rifle,
wether it be a bolt or a Ar platform. If my old *** can tote
one around comfortably in Montana & Washington state, a
younger guy, in resonable shape, should have no problems!

More gym time is what many in the US need,......I ran my FIRST
full Marathon at 42, plan on another this summer.

bmoore
02-19-2012, 16:26
Suppose I could have worded comments differently.
I was mainly focusing on the bashing of a heavy barrel rifle,
wether it be a bolt or a Ar platform. If my old *** can tote
one around comfortably in Montana & Washington state, a
younger guy, in resonable shape, should have no problems!

More gym time is what many in the US need,......I ran my FIRST
full Marathon at 42, plan on another this summer.

I hear ya. I just dont see the benefit (personally) of the bull barrel for hunting. I would rather save weight and take my shotgun and rifle with me to all the stands, and have a greatly improved chance of taking the hard charger coyote with my shotgun that I cant slow down with a lip squeak or bark. Rather than just taking a bull barrel rifle. Could I do it, sure.......... theres just no added benefit in it for me. Its just that coyote stands are about 15-25 minutes then your up, gather up the gear and your on the move to the next stand. This is repeated a bunch of times in the day. If I got some super power benefit of a bull barrel it may make sense. My bolt action 22-250 and 243 are my go to rifles.

The Pirate
02-19-2012, 18:32
I appreciate all your responses and will be glad to here more. I've found something else I may be interested in.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g353/boostd54/29f6bb67.jpg

I'm not ready to order yet though. I would get the 20" if I choose this one.

Also, which scope mount would you guys run? I haven't picked a scope yet but it will probably be a 3X? Variable power.

The Pirate
02-19-2012, 19:20
OP, don't get the ER Shaw from M1S.
You can get a Wilson barrelled upper from RRA for about the same price.

1. Your chances of a good shooter go up.
2. You will be dealing with a better company.

Now if the Shaw was being prepped by ARP or Bison I would say go for it.

I appreciate your advise. Your post made me find the RRA upper above. Thanks

Minnow
02-20-2012, 00:38
<--- Wants a 20" RRA Predator Pursuit complete upper to slap on my PSA A2 lower.

Minnow
02-20-2012, 00:41
If you are considering a SS upper for predator's, you might go ahead and order it bead blasted to cut down on light reflections in the field.

I would choose a RRA any day over a model 1 sales product, plus in this case you would have a matching upper and lower from the same company.

The Pirate
02-20-2012, 03:04
If you are considering a SS upper for predator's, you might go ahead and order it bead blasted to cut down on light reflections in the field.

I would choose a RRA any day over a model 1 sales product, plus in this case you would have a matching upper and lower from the same company.

I completely agree with you. I think it would be nice to have a matching upper and lower.

DirectDrive
02-20-2012, 13:38
Also, which scope mount would you guys run? I haven't picked a scope yet but it will probably be a 3X? Variable power.

This depends on how far you plan on shooting on average and how much you want to spend.

The 1-4x scopes are popular now for AR's.
The Vortex PST is illuminated so at 1x it acts like a both-eyes-open close quarters optic.
Spendy though...$500 + mount cost.

The Nikon M-223 is about $290 + mount.

There's Weaver and Millet for a little less in this power class.

Mounts are QD or bolt-on.
Some of the QD's run $200
The Burris and Nikon mounts are less expensive.

Sometimes Natchez Shooter's Supplies and/or Primary Arms will run specials on optics.

Also if it's a scabbard gun you might not want exposed turrets.

The Pirate
02-20-2012, 14:07
This depends on how far you plan on shooting on average and how much you want to spend.

The 1-4x scopes are popular now for AR's.
The Vortex PST is illuminated so at 1x it acts like a both-eyes-open close quarters optic.
Spendy though...$500 + mount cost.

The Nikon M-223 is about $290 + mount.

There's Weaver and Millet for a little less in this power class.

Mounts are QD or bolt-on.
Some of the QD's run $200
The Burris and Nikon mounts are less expensive.

Sometimes Natchez Shooter's Supplies and/or Primary Arms will run specials on optics.

Also if it's a scabbard gun you might not want exposed turrets.

Thanks for those options. I checked them out. I had thought about a 1x scope but I've already got the Trijicon tri-power on my other AR and I think it would not be enough difference to matter for me.

I like that Nikon. It fits right where I want to be money wise. I'd like to get my glass mounted for around $500-$600.

DirectDrive
02-20-2012, 15:19
This might be something that would work for you...

Leupold VX-R Hog
Natchez has it in their sale flyer at $279.99 "prices good through March 31".
Presently out of stock but you might be able to get the good price and grab it when they restock.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LU113165

Review of the VX-R
http://www.gunblast.com/Leupold-VXR-HOG.htm

The Pirate
02-20-2012, 19:13
This might be something that would work for you...

Leupold VX-R Hog
Natchez has it in their sale flyer at $279.99 "prices good through March 31".
Presently out of stock but you might be able to get the good price and grab it when they restock.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LU113165

Review of the VX-R
http://www.gunblast.com/Leupold-VXR-HOG.htm

Dang that seems like a winner. I'm gonna keep an eye out for one of those. Thanks

mingaa
02-20-2012, 19:23
Buds has DPMS AR-15s right now at $600 for the Sportical and just under for the *SHUT MY MOUTH*

They have the 16lt for $676. Lucky I got my order in when I did!!!

The Pirate
03-12-2012, 20:45
**Update**

Sorry it took me a little while but here's what I ended up with.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g353/boostd54/DSCN2509.jpg

It's a RRA coyote rifle upper on a RRA lower. Millet DMS-1 with Burris mount.
It's a little different than the bull barrel with a 3x9 scope I thought I was gonna get. I couldn't be happier overall. Shoots really good and I've actually did a little varmint hunting with it (no kills yet).
Thanks everyone for there suggestions, I'm a lot happier with what I've ended up with because of everyones advice. :thumbsup:

Frog1
03-13-2012, 05:20
Man, I didn't realize my $600.00 AR built with a $100 Mossberg barrel wasn't accurate enough. That consistent half inch group wouldn't work on coyotes. I better tell my brother that he really didn't kill all those coyotes. I better get that gun back before he really gets disappointed. He might miss something at 500 yds someday.

The Pirate
03-13-2012, 16:58
Man, I didn't realize my $600.00 AR built with a $100 Mossberg barrel wasn't accurate enough. That consistent half inch group wouldn't work on coyotes. I better tell my brother that he really didn't kill all those coyotes. I better get that gun back before he really gets disappointed. He might miss something at 500 yds someday.

Was that intended towards me? Your brother should have bought a NEF .223 single shot for $100 and a cheap scope from walmart. He could kill the hell out of some coyotes if he wanted too and not have anything in it (lightweight too:supergrin:).
You need to buy what you and your family can afford, I'm sure you've blew $1000 bucks before on something less.

Frog1
03-14-2012, 17:45
Ass a matter of fact. The NEF with the Simmons scope does shoot about 3/4 of an inch at 100. It has killed many coyotes. I thought maybe he should have a higher capacity just in case a maurding band of Pirates tries to get within 500 yds. I found the clue box a long time ago. Keep looking.

The Pirate
03-14-2012, 19:36
Ass a matter of fact. The NEF with the Simmons scope does shoot about 3/4 of an inch at 100. It has killed many coyotes. I thought maybe he should have a higher capacity just in case a maurding band of Pirates tries to get within 500 yds. I found the clue box a long time ago. Keep looking.

You got something against pirates? I'm confused :supergrin: