First time OC = Police called to Starbucks. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time OC = Police called to Starbucks.

Jade Falcon
02-14-2012, 19:22
Well, it's the last time I'm going to ever open-carry, other than sanctioned events, gatherings, meetings, on the range, or off the beaten trail. Not again in public.

I showed up at one of the local Starbucks right at 2 o'clock (I didn't have $2 bills, so I figured if I timed it right...*lightbulb: idea!*) to protest the boycott that the Antis have their panties in a twist over. I had Mas's latest book, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. I had a black leather coat on, with my Glock 22 in a Tagua Gunleather OWB holster undernieth it. My plan was to, once I ordered my coffee, find a seat, take off my jacket, and relax.

After I ordered my Fappachino, I glanced around, and the place was packed. Luckly, there was an open leather seat at the back of the shop. I took it until a table opened up. As I got to the seat, I took off my coat, and a "hush" came over the shop. As I draped my coat against the back of the chair, I sat down and glanced up. There was more than a few eyes glancing my direction. I just ignored them, and continued my business, until the table in front of me opened up. When it did, I got up, draped my coat over the back of the opposite chair, and sat back down to read.

45 minutes later, I glanced to my right, noticing a black-suited-leg, and a voice called out "Hello Sir." I glanced up, expecting to see someone who supported the 2A, a gun-owner, or someone who objected to my presence with a gun.

Instead, it was a member of Vancouver's Finest. I said "hello sir." He asked if he could talk to me for a minute, and I said "sure, should we step outside?" He nodded politely, and I asked if I could leave my things on the table. He said "sure, no problem." I got up and followed him out.

As I stepped outside, I said to him "I can probably guess why you're here," with a small smile. His Seargent came walking up the sidewalk and stood politely next to me. He smiled and gently patted me on the shoulder to move me under the awning outside the shop (it was raining lightly, and breezy).

The officer nodded and said "yeah, you know...open carry, it's..."

"Controversial?" I offered.

"Yeah," he continued. "And yeah, Starbucks has a policy, but people see you in there with a gun, and they can't tell if you're a cop or not." (We were outside a 6-lane very busy road, that was extremely loud, and I was wearing hearing aids, so I listened very carefully, and I am pretty sure that is close to what he said).

"Completely understandable," I agreed.

He asked to see my ID, and I gave him both my CWP, as well as my license. "Got a Glock?" he asked, glancing at my gun.

"Yes sir, Glock 22." His Sgt. asked if I still lived at the same address, to which I responded "yes." He wrote down my info on his pad.

The officer who addressed me called the Sheriff's office (or dispatch, I'm not sure) regarding my permit. He asked my middle name, and his Sgt asked my for my DOB. I don't think his Sgt's radio was working.

I asked them if they were called out here, and he said "yes. Somebody gave us a call. We'll just check your ID, and be on our way."

I tried to explain that I was here protesting the boycott, and the officer said "in solidarity?" I said "yes sir".

Both men were very polite. I was very impressed at their professionalism. At the same time, I was sorry that they had to waste precious time responding to this "problem", rather than someone who could have really used their services.

After a minute, they gave my stuff back, and I was allowed to go back inside. I shook the officer's hand and thanked him. I believe he stepped back inside to talk to management, but by the time I reached my seat and looked back towards the door, I could see him outside, walking back to his car.

Once I got back inside, I noticed a couple of people staring at me and, after a minute, I glanced at my coat and thought "concealed means concealed." At the risk of having them called back out again, I went ahead and put my coat back on, where it stayed the rest of the time I was there.

For the first time since I got my permit when I was 21 in 2004; the first time I open-carry, the Cops get called. I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon. I'm glad they didn't write me a citation or arrest me for "Unlawful Display". Now that would have been, not only embarrassing, but damaging to our cause to promote our 2A Freedom.

PettyOfficer
02-14-2012, 19:32
Sounds like walking BACK in while OC was totally worth it! You stood up and faced the hate. Nice job!

Jade Falcon
02-14-2012, 19:54
Sounds like walking BACK in while OC was totally worth it! You stood up and faced the hate. Nice job!

Thanks man. I edited the post to be more precise with further detail because, when I first posted it, I got logged out of the public domain that I'm using. So the story is now in it's entirety.

Oso
02-14-2012, 20:11
So drinking a cup of coffee while open carrying in an open carry state is now "unlawful display"?

Please explain to us again why you were there. You were there to support what?

:faint:

Jade Falcon
02-14-2012, 20:15
So drinking a cup of coffee while open carrying in an open carry state is now "unlawful display"?

Please explain to us again why you were there. You were there to support what?

:faint:

Support against the Valentine Day boycott by the Antis.

SGT HATRED
02-14-2012, 20:27
I too got the cold shoulder at starbucks today... No police but it was uncomfortable to say the least. I OC all the time but today was my first almost bad experience. Nasty looks and one of the employees talking under his breath. We left instead of sitting down to enjoy our coffee.

xmanhockey7
02-14-2012, 20:39
Sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Keep in mind though the officers did NOT have to go through all this with you. You were clearly not some maniac with a gun. Even if they respond they don't have to go confront you.

thekobk
02-14-2012, 20:49
Sorry to hear you had to go through such a hassle. My wife and I went to our local Starbucks and had no issues at all and I was able to pay and tip with $2 bills. My bank was in the same strip mall.:supergrin:

RussP
02-14-2012, 20:50
I would say that with the publicity about the 'protest', the patrons might have included more than a few of those protesting, or at least some sympathetic with the anti group.Give things a few days to get back to normal and OC there again.

cowboy1964
02-14-2012, 21:32
I support the concept of OC if it's legal. Legal is legal. But I ain't doing it.

xmanhockey7
02-14-2012, 22:05
I would say that with the publicity about the 'protest', the patrons might have included more than a few of those protesting, or at least some sympathetic with the anti group.Give things a few days to get back to normal and OC there again.

So antis are protesting not frequenting Starbucks by frequenting Starbucks?

xmanhockey7
02-14-2012, 22:06
I support the concept of OC if it's legal. Legal is legal. But I ain't doing it.

That's fine it's your right to CC, OC, or not carry at all.

cangler
02-14-2012, 22:23
I have mix views about this subject, and I'm defiantly not against OC it's just I don't think I would do it personally, at least not around crowded public. It may draw extra attention to myself, which I rather avoid. If you're comfortable doing the OC, go for it but good luck! I wish TX would give us that option.

cangler
02-14-2012, 22:41
Why I no longer hate Starbucks (http://www.usacarry.com/why-i-no-longer-hate-starbucks/)

RussP
02-14-2012, 22:44
So antis are protesting not frequenting Starbucks by frequenting Starbucks?Curiosity, to see how many OCers show up so they can call the cops on them...

Fox
02-14-2012, 23:09
I would have explained to the officers that I am not the one breaking the law. That they need to talk with the persons making the emergency calls to police. Maybe cite them for making false police reports.

AA#5
02-14-2012, 23:48
"I was sorry that they had to waste precious time responding to this "problem", rather than someone who could have really used their services."

Uh......who caused officers to "waste precious time responding to this "problem", rather than someone who could have really used their services??"

Misty02
02-15-2012, 00:11
Jade Falcon, you are either a very calm and excellent writer or your experience was not as negative as you perceived it when you wrote it. It is indeed a shame that officers had to waste time in their day to deal with a non-issue, but think of the message all those present received.

People call the police when they want to get rid of things that bother them or they believe have witnessed something against the law. Your pleasant, polite and professional interaction with the officers sent a loud message to all those present.

I am sorry you had an unpleasant time but I believe your interaction was more beneficial to those present than in the thousand of places where people carried and absolutely nothing happened.

Five of us went together to Starbucks today as well. There is no OC in Florida but my oldest son, his girlfriend and my oldest grandson wore very telling shirts. After ordering we left them a large tip in cash and explained to them why we were there. The kids behind the counter had heard something about it and knew it had to do with guns but didnít know it was today and didnít know much about it, they did before we sat down to enjoy our order. I would say that my oldest sonís Tshirt with huge letters on the back saying ďI carry a gun because a cop is too heavyĒ got more attention than he bargained for, no one called the police on us though. It was the first and probably the last time he's worn something like that. We bought it at our first gun show as a keepsake not ever planning to actually wear it. As a matter of fact there was a patrol car in the parking lot when we arrived, they left shortly thereafter.

We all went there today to make a statement. I cannot see how you could have made a better one with the great interactions others got to observe.

My personal opinion is that you did beautifully! :thumbsup:

IndyGunFreak
02-15-2012, 01:12
Jade Falcon, you are either a very calm and excellent writer or your experience was not as negative as you perceived it when you wrote it. It is indeed a shame that officers had to waste time in their day to deal with a non-issue, but think of the message all those present received.

People call the police when they want to get rid of things that bother them or they believe have witnessed something against the law. Your pleasant, polite and professional interaction with the officers sent a loud message to all those present.

I am sorry you had an unpleasant time but I believe your interaction was more beneficial to those present than in the thousand of places where people carried and absolutely nothing happened.

Five of us went together to Starbucks today as well. There is no OC in Florida but my oldest son, his girlfriend and my oldest grandson wore very telling shirts. After ordering we left them a large tip in cash and explained to them why we were there. The kids behind the counter had heard something about it and knew it had to do with guns but didnít know it was today and didnít know much about it, they did before we sat down to enjoy our order. I would say that my oldest sonís Tshirt with huge letters on the back saying ďI carry a gun because a cop is too heavyĒ got more attention than he bargained for, no one called the police on us though. It was the first and probably the last time he's worn something like that. We bought it at our first gun show as a keepsake not ever planning to actually wear it. As a matter of fact there was a patrol car in the parking lot when we arrived, they left shortly thereafter.

We all went there today to make a statement. I cannot see how you could have made a better one with the great interactions others got to observe.

My personal opinion is that you did beautifully! :thumbsup:

You said it way better than I could have. I think your response was a million times better than the constant "am I being detained" crap we hear constantly on these open carry video/audio recordings.

IGF

NEOH212
02-15-2012, 03:41

:thumbsup: :agree:

Gunhaver
02-15-2012, 04:59
Does anybody live in an area where people, citizens and cops alike, just don't care if they see someone open carrying?

SGT HATRED
02-15-2012, 05:15
Does anybody live in an area where people, citizens and cops alike, just don't care if they see someone open carrying?

Arizona, even in big cities. Phoenix scottsdale tempe...

IndyGunFreak
02-15-2012, 05:36
Arizona, even in big cities. Phoenix scottsdale tempe...

I bet even there... There's someone that will see someone with a gun and call the police.

It's just not something that most liberals are used to seeing, no matter where they are. I'm sure the police get calls about it in Az to, it's just not really a public thing.

Scott3670
02-15-2012, 09:47
Open carry is legal in my state (WV) and I see people doing it every now and then. I've even done it a couple of times just to see what it feels like. So far I have never seen anyone freak out, call the cops, or scream out loud that blood will soon be flowing in the streets.

mdlott
02-15-2012, 10:49

I do. Coweta County GA and the Sheriff's office is very pro rights. I've OC'd for almost two years exclusively (wherever it's legal) and I've never had a MWAG call.

HerrGlock
02-15-2012, 10:54

It seems Northern VA citizens and cops have all gotten schooled about open carry, courtesy of the VCDL. A few years ago a couple guys got hassled and actually arrested for it. They not only ended up getting apologies but the entire police department got classes in open carry laws and the dispatchers now ask, "Well is the person DOING anything with the gun or is it just in the holster?" before deciding to send anyone out.

IIRC Henrico county got schooled about it a couple years ago as well.

Not been there but I've heard it's frequent enough not to really warrant attention for the most part now in both places.

macville
02-15-2012, 11:02
I don't understand why people want lawmakers to make more liberal (aka: consitutional) gun & carry laws when the general public see very few firearms out in public due to concealing. I want to point out that things that have become "accepted" in this country over the past 100 years have not been hid in the dark. I am afraid that if we want to see real change, OC is about the best way to go. Otherwise, people will continue to think that everyone around them, except cops, are unarmed. It really has to due with education. If the general public sees firearms lawfully carried in holsters every day, it will become normal very quick and responses like calling the cops will stop.

RGbiker
02-15-2012, 11:14
I bet even there... There's someone that will see someone with a gun and call the police.

It's just not something that most liberals are used to seeing, no matter where they are. I'm sure the police get calls about it in Az to, it's just not really a public thing.

Police in Arizona probably do receive calls about MWAG in public, BUT 911 dispatchers in Arizona are wise enough to dissect the call and explain to the out of state PITA pest that OC in the Grand Canyon state is legal and widely accepted.

fuzzy03cls
02-15-2012, 11:17
My problem with the incident is what do you fear? Your legal. You obviously are not a threat acting up or threatening anyone or even have anything displayed as aggression. It's the public that needs to get over it.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-15-2012, 12:29
I supported Starbucks twice yesterday but I was carrying concealed though. There were a couple guys oc'ing in there and either the rest of the people were too caught up in their mini-laptops and Avant Garde reading material to notice a full size Glock and a full size SIG, or they didn't care.

Monday I sent an email to Starbucks corporate and thanked them for being steadfast in their position to allow any legal means of carry inside their establishments in spite of the ridicule they get from anti-gun groups. The baristas with the lip piercings and spikey dyed hair have nothing to do with the policy and I felt an email of thanks to the big wigs at Starbucks would go farther than to simply OC inside one of their stores.

eruby
02-15-2012, 13:03
Well done Jade Falcon!

I went to Starbucks yesterday as well to protest against the anti-protest and to thank Starbucks. Of course residing in the People's Republic, all I could do was buy some cookies and what-not, and pay with $2 bills.

IndyGunFreak
02-15-2012, 15:10
Police in Arizona probably do receive calls about MWAG in public, BUT 911 dispatchers in Arizona are wise enough to dissect the call and explain to the out of state PITA pest that OC in the Grand Canyon state is legal and widely accepted.

This is absolutely true, but the question was.. "Does anyone even care anymore...".. The answer is absolutely. There will always be the uninformed, especially in a big metropolis. If you get the right person sensationalizing enough to a Phoenix dispatcher... guess what... an open carrier is gonna get a visit by a police officer.

Tx-SIG229
02-15-2012, 15:17
i can't afford to drink at 4-Bucks, i mean... starbucks =oP

Gunnut 45/454
02-15-2012, 15:31
Jade Falcon
OP great job you handled it prefectly. You should have stayed and OC'd just to make sure that the wimp that called it in got all upset again! Why should you feel bad for doing what is perfectly legal -if the libs get there panties in a wad who cares! The officers acted just as they should every time = c/w with the law and let it go! Maybe they'll start fining the puke liberals for making false 911 calls!:supergrin: