Hospitals [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hospitals

Oso
02-14-2012, 19:34
In the state of Michigan hospitals are considered mass murder encouraged areas (pistol free zones). Tonight, I went to Prompt Care for a sore throat as strep throat has been making its rounds at work and with the kids at school. The building that the Prompt Care is in also houses a physical therapy office and pediatrics office. The building is across town from the hospital, but is called The Sturgis Hospital Commons. Is this also considered a pistol free zone? There are not any signs posted. I would not think that it would be, but the laws can be confusing. Any school property is considered pistol free, even if there is not a school on the property. Does this also apply to hospitals? I would especially appreciate if any Michigan law enforcement officers or lawyers could voice their opinion on this. (Obviously this is an internet forum and I take all advice as opinions, not legal advice.)

Oh, and by the way, I left my pistol in my car safe while at my appointment. Just in case. :supergrin:

dosei
02-14-2012, 20:15
I would bet on it being a no-carry zone. In most states with such laws, they cover any medical facility.

xmanhockey7
02-14-2012, 20:31
Part of the question is, is it a hospital or just a place that provides medical care. I honestly am not sure, I am from Kalamazoo. Do people stay there overnight for medical care? Most importantly, are they a licensed hospital? That would be what I would look at. Bare in mind you can carry there if you carry openly in a hospital.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180 This would be a good spot to post your question. There are many people who are very familiar with firearm laws in Michigan some even lawyers.

Oso
02-14-2012, 20:43
Part of the question is, is it a hospital or just a place that provides medical care. I honestly am not sure, I am from Kalamazoo. Do people stay there overnight for medical care? Most importantly, are they a licensed hospital? That would be what I would look at. Bare in mind you can carry there if you carry openly in a hospital.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180 This would be a good spot to post your question. There are many people who are very familiar with firearm laws in Michigan some even lawyers.

Nobody stays there overnight. All it holds is a Prompt Care, pediatrics office, and a physical therapy office. The building is only open from around 8am to 9pm. I'm not sure about the licensing, but I have to go to the hospital for blood work and will look into it.

I did not know about the open carrying at hospitals. All the hospitals I have been into in Michigan have no firearm signs posted.

I only occasionally open carry. Not because I'm against it, just because I'm usually in a hurry and don't have time to be be detained to explain myself. The few occasions that I have have interaction with the local PD, they seem well informed of the laws and very polite and positive.

Oso
02-14-2012, 20:46
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180[/URL] This would be a good spot to post your question. There are many people who are very familiar with firearm laws in Michigan some even lawyers.

I must be loosing it. I have a membership over there. I should have went there first. I just tend to spend more time at GT. :supergrin:

xmanhockey7
02-14-2012, 20:51
Open carry in hospitals is legal. 28.425o only applies to concealed carry by someone who has a CPL. And from the sound it, it is not a hospital. I am not a lawyer btw, the OC thing is because I keep up on the firearms laws in MI and have learned from others who do the same and have consulted lawyers.

HarleyGuy
02-15-2012, 02:35
I always take the safe route either leave my gun at home or in my car unloaded when entering any hospital or clinic.
It ain't worth the hassle if the police get involved.