How many times can you load the first round? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many times can you load the first round?

Metal Angel
02-14-2012, 19:56
So I didn't really think about it until some ammo manufacturers started coming out with the crimped bullet (or whatever it's called) that prevents the bullet from sliding back into the brass... If my cartridges don't have that feature, how many times can I chamber a bullet before its no good? I line up my carriages every few days now to make sure they are all the same height... But I did notice they are getting scratched up...

Metal Angel
02-14-2012, 20:01
The one on the right looks like it has exposed lead... That can't be good.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

sourdough44
02-15-2012, 05:46
Any bullet 'setback' is cause for real concern. While not getting anal about it, I try to rotate within reason. There was an incident from a few years back where an agency would always unload, & rechamber during shift change(prison I thought). That 1st bullet was chambered multiple times, which eventually lead to setback. To me a few scratches are no big deal.

Sheepdog Scout
02-15-2012, 05:53
It's not a problem really, if you have a gun like a Beretta 92 that you can load from the barrel/chamber.

vafish
02-15-2012, 06:06
Depends upon your gun.

I had a 1911 that would set back rounds on the 2nd chambering, even FMJ occasionaly.

Tried repeatedly chambering the same round in my glocks and after 20 times and no measureable set back I gave up.

rockabillyrider
02-15-2012, 06:11
The one on the right looks like it has exposed lead... That can't be good.

Maybe it's just me and I need more coffee but the grooves cut into those bullets may be a sign that when chambered they are making contact with the rifling of the barrel. That is another thing to avoid.

Bruce M
02-15-2012, 06:37
I would be much more concerned about differences in height/overall length than scratches on the bullet.

ChrisJn
02-15-2012, 06:43
Just as much of a danger is that the back end of the round gets scratched to hell by the extractor with the constant re-chambering. I have seen some so bad that in a real life situation the extractor would not be able to do its job properly and you would have failure to feed the second round.

Metal Angel
02-15-2012, 10:48
Maybe it's just me and I need more coffee but the grooves cut into those bullets may be a sign that when chambered they are making contact with the rifling of the barrel. That is another thing to avoid.

How do I avoid that? It's a glock 19.

Metal Angel
02-15-2012, 10:49
It's not a problem really, if you have a gun like a Beretta 92 that you can load from the barrel/chamber.

If you mean loading by sliding it in the chamber manually (like a single shot) I heard that is bad for the extractor...

M&P15T
02-15-2012, 11:06
You can tell for yourself by re-chambering the same round multiple times. I would imagine your G19 will cause set-back within a few re-chamberings.

How do you avoid this? Load the pistol and leave it alone.

fastbolt
02-15-2012, 14:40
Yes, repeatedly chambering and ejecting the same unfired cartridge can cause potential problems in semiauto pistols.

This subject has surfaced in various armorer classes, and the answer has generally been the same. Not a good practice.

Bullet setback is real, and it can cause problems, some of which can possibly damage the firearm and cause personal injury. Hardly surprising.

In one armorer class, the potential for a bullet setback condition to cause damage to the gun was referred to as an "over pressure event". :whistling:

In the latest Glock armorer manual the subject is discussed.

After an explanation of "Set Back", a Bold & All-Cap statement is included" DO NOT CHAMBER AND EJECT THE SAME ROUND REPEATEDLY!

Seems simple enough, doesn't it?

Even if bullet setback doesn't occur, the case rim & case mouth might become damaged and introduce the potential for functioning issues.

I remember when one armorer explained how the case rim had been so mangled by a cop having repeatedly chambered & ejected the same round, that it reached a point where the extractor couldn't pull the round from the chamber, despite repeatedly retracting the slide while trying to clear the chamber.

NewWaveGuy
02-15-2012, 15:08
Can someone please explain what bullet set-back is? Thanks so much!

DrtyHarry
02-15-2012, 15:16
Could consistent press checking possibly cause a bullet setback? :dunno:

Harry

Dave.1
02-15-2012, 15:23
In this case it referrs to the bullet being pushed deeper into the casing from repeated chambering, like the round on the left. Also notice the scratches.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/darock2/9mmSetbackweb42211.jpg

Dave

M&P15T
02-15-2012, 15:45
Could consistent press checking possibly cause a bullet setback? :dunno:

No, but since modern GLOCKs have LCIs, why would you repeatedly press-check anything?

Jesus H. Christ, load them and leave them be!

DrtyHarry
02-15-2012, 16:03
No, but since modern GLOCKs have LCIs, why would you repeatedly press-check anything?

Jesus H. Christ, load them and leave them be!

Are you talking about Glocks only? Many pistols now have indicators. I have many Glocks, but my EDC is a 1911. And yes, I got into the habit of press checking every time I leave my house. I know the round is in the pipe, but seeing it makes me feel more secure.

Harry

Glockdude1
02-15-2012, 16:04
I loaded the same round in my S&W model 66 over 300 times.

I give up.

The bullet never moved back at all.

:cool:

Metal Angel
02-15-2012, 17:48
I like to keep a round at the grid when I'm carrying, but not when my gun is at home... So I chamber and eject once a day. If this is a problem, I will stop. Any disadvantages to keeping a gun chambered and cocked all the time?

I keep it in unchambered at home because it feels safer... And if someone breaks in I figure I will have enough time to rack a round in. Not so much getting mugged when out of my home.

ca survivor
02-15-2012, 17:58

I give up.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bruce M
02-15-2012, 19:04

I give up.

I don't care who you are - that there is funny.

fastbolt
02-15-2012, 19:15
There was another time in an armorer class when we were told of how one of the major firearms companies (who sold a lot of LE guns) once decided to do a survey of the major US ammunition companies about repeatedly chambering the same rounds.

Supposedly, they were basically told that the ammunition companies designed their pistol ammunition with it in mind that the typically user would feed & chamber any particular round once, and their product would remain in desired manufacturing specs under those conditions. Anything beyond that was the responsibility of the user.

Berto
02-15-2012, 19:36

I give up.

You're doing it wrong.:supergrin:

NewWaveGuy
02-18-2012, 08:42
In this case it referrs to the bullet being pushed deeper into the casing from repeated chambering, like the round on the left. Also notice the scratches.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/darock2/9mmSetbackweb42211.jpg

Dave

Thanks! Having the picture helped! Also, what are the other cases of bullet set-back? Thanks again. (I don't mean to thread hijack.)

Dave.1
02-18-2012, 09:49
NewWaveGuy, I think you should probably ask that question on the Reloading Forum.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I don't reload so I probably wouldn't be of much help other than rechambering. I have posted questions on the Reloading Forum and always gotten great answers.

Dave

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 10:01
How many times can you load the first round?

Until it sets back below the minimum overall length for the cartridge in question or has obvious damage that would render it unfit for carry. I personally don't rechamber the same round more than 3 times. After the third time, it becomes range ammo. I'm sure I could reuse the same round more than that but I like to play it same.

This method hasn't failed me yet. :wavey:

G36's Rule
02-18-2012, 10:18
I like to keep a round at the grid when I'm carrying, but not when my gun is at home... So I chamber and eject once a day. If this is a problem, I will stop. Any disadvantages to keeping a gun chambered and cocked all the time?

I keep it in unchambered at home because it feels safer... And if someone breaks in I figure I will have enough time to rack a round in. Not so much getting mugged when out of my home.

Yes, you are fiddling with your pistol too much. Load it and leave it alone.

NewWaveGuy
02-18-2012, 16:57
NewWaveGuy, I think you should probably ask that question on the Reloading Forum.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I don't reload so I probably wouldn't be of much help other than rechambering. I have posted questions on the Reloading Forum and always gotten great answers.

Dave

Thanks Dave!