S&P Valentine's dinner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&P Valentine's dinner

barbedwiresmile
02-14-2012, 20:04
In the BWS household, it's a tradition to not go out for special occasions but rather to stay home. Mrs BWS is proud of her ability to create a meal, so this thread is my salute to her.

Appetizer: pepper seared wild duck on a bed of homegrown collared greens. Served with a nice young Beaujolais.

Main course: cast iron venison chili over basmati rice, with homemade chili powder (cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, black pepper, dried ground garlic, oregano). Served with a beautiful Rioja.

Dessert: Oven-baked rice pudding served with tawny port.

All from our stores and the only thing store-bought was the wine and a few items such as sugar and black pepper. Sometimes we think about hypothetically substituting homemade muscadine wine for the port with dessert, and rye or corn for the table wine but obviously we wouldn't break "the law".

Point being- take some time to not just live, but live well from your stores and preps. No need to subsist on spam and freeze-dried whatever. Variety is the spice of life- make sure to plan ahead for special occasions and luxuries. Very important for your physical and psychological well-being and no reason why it can't be planned. In a long-term SHTF, such luxuries will make a huge difference.

Hats off to the self-sufficient and never forget: self-sufficiency is the ultimate subversive act. Be careful out there. Learn how and why "law" is made.

Bolster
02-14-2012, 20:18
Salivating.

bdcochran
02-14-2012, 21:17
Yes, I hate going out for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day and all of the holidays when the restaurants are stuffed with people.

Thanksgiving was deep fried turkey and chicken in peanut oil.
Christmas was a roast goose.
Had some rabbit hindquarters the other week.
There are kangaroo steaks in the freezer awaiting the girlfriend's return to town. (Note to Bolster - go to Broadleaf in Vernon. 18 pages of meats. Ranges from rattlesnake to Wagu to elk, buffalo, alligator, kangaroo, rabbit, deer).

Bolster
02-14-2012, 21:38
(Note to Bolster - go to Broadleaf in Vernon. 18 pages of meats. Ranges from rattlesnake to Wagu to elk, buffalo, alligator, kangaroo, rabbit, deer).

Yikes! :wow: Bolster is 99.9% vegetarian (a little bird once in awhile) and would not know what to do! :dunno:

RED64CJ5
02-15-2012, 08:03
Wow. And I thought an "S&P" Valentine's dinner consisted of an MRE or maybe some Mountain House!

Glock30Eric
02-15-2012, 08:31
Where are those pictures? ;)

Way to go! Kudos!

BulldawgGlock
02-15-2012, 14:23
I agree, it's nice having a fiance who would rather cook good food like her mom and grandma taught her, rather than go out to a restaurant. :eat:

bdcochran
02-16-2012, 11:46
Girlfriend was out of town. Had a Tbone steak and a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup. Also had pleasant thoughts of how much money was saved. Also bought no candy or flowers.:wavey:

rwrjr
02-16-2012, 14:33
Yes, I hate going out for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day and all of the holidays when the restaurants are stuffed with people.

Decades ago I worked in the restaurant biz. I waited tables in an expensive, white tablecloth type of restaurant in downtown D.C. We called those "amateur nights". Valentine's Day and Mother's Day were the worst by far. To this day I don't step foot in a restaurant on any of those "special" days.

WolfNotSheep
02-17-2012, 11:41
BWS, sounds like you had yourself one hell of a meal and have yourself one hell of a lady. I'm partial to meals from my stores like sloppy joes, tacos, chicken salad, red beans and rice, etc...I'm glad to hear a fellow GT'er is eating what they store and storing what they eat.