National Emergency - Net is shut off, no Twitter... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : National Emergency - Net is shut off, no Twitter...

ArmoryDoc
02-14-2012, 19:32
Have you thought about a possibility of the .gov's impending action to throw the public into the information dark ages ?

Let's say the OWS is just the beginning. Let's say it picks up steam this spring and other groups become active and take to the streets in protest of fuel prices, lack of jobs, No unemployment benefit extensions, food prices, etc. Let's say some major cities become gridlocked from the protests by the disenfranchised public and the .gov reacts with National Guard and Federal Troops policing the streets. Let's say George Soros is right, and it gets bloody, with the .gov overreacting with overly harsh responses to the rioting here in the US.

It seems the popular thing to do anymore is kill the net. Look at the actions in Greece, Libya, Syria and other places where the government was quick to kill the news supply and comms. The public is using FB, Twitter and other venues to organize and gather news on unfolding events and to organize the masses. If it escalates here, cell phone service may be interrupted in affected locations to disrupt phone tree's, as well as cable and satellite services through the acute disruption period and of course FB, Twitter and online news sources may be blocked or shut off completely. After all, the .gov has been pushing for total control of the net in the event of National Emergency.

Question is, if it gets this serious, what are you gonna do ? Is this "the line" for many of you ? I don't expect some will answer, which is fine. But for those of you comfortable enough to answer, what would be your plan if it gets this tense out there ? Is it time to reign in the wife and kids and get ready for spillover ?

I wonder myself with all the worlds events and the troubles people are facing here at home. They say we're only three meals away from an uncivilized society and with unemployment like it is and benefits running out, are we getting close to that third meal ? What will you do if we enter a "blackout period" ?

Thoughts ?

G19freak
02-14-2012, 19:47
Grill some burgers and load magazines

jdavionic
02-14-2012, 20:04
Get a better night's sleep.

j/k - sort of.

While I think a blackout is possible, I would expect that a lot more would have our attention at that point. For the government to embark on that path, we would have a national situation where an information blackout would be deemed a benefit that outweighs the subsequent fall out from such an extreme action. Therefore I would expect 'the line' would already be crossed for most of us here and we would be in emergency mode already.

Mister Clean
02-14-2012, 20:32
Simple solution.

Use my HAM radio and SOLAR/battery system to communicate with others --- and --- to keep in touch with local, national and world events. Why wait? I use my HAM radio every day already. No need to wait until the last minute to learn how to use it.

http://www.arrl.org/ares

http://ares.org/groups/mars/index.htm

http://www.winlink.org/

http://www.aprs.org/

NOTICE: I will not use a gasoline powered backup generator because I do not want people to be able to "HEAR" that I have a backup power supply. I have enough storage batteries that I can go for more than a week without needing to recharge them via my solar panels. Also note that my solar panels and storage batteries are "portable". My Ham radio(s) and radio antenna(s) are also "portable".

UneasyRider
02-15-2012, 05:39
Well I guess your answer would depend on what is going on to cause the government to black out the communications. Taken to extremes for the sake of arguement:

1) A conservative president, house and sentate are in office and OWS and the labor movement are using flashmobs to rob stores aka "Robin Hood" all day long all over the country and people are being hurt as well as stolen from.

2) A liberal president, house and senate are in office all 3 in a lame duck session declare marshall law, mandatory gun turn in programs and nullify the last election deciding to stay in power for "The good of the people."

Personally I am not for blocking technology in either case, people will find a way around it... but I would not be put out about 1) and would be upset about 2).

BTW I am looking for more flash mobs this summer in the big cities, once it's rolling it should be interesting to see how they put a stop to it. There was a lot of that just last year, these are interesting times.

G29Reload
02-15-2012, 06:36
Ham radio.

Shortwave.

Local radio. TV.

Not everything depends solely on the Net.

Glock30Eric
02-15-2012, 07:38
GT is my only social website that I go to. I don't go on facebook, twitter, or myspace.

I don't trust MSM. I only read Drurdgereport.com. If the MSM decides to black out then I'll be very happy because people will have to do their homework instead being told to believe into something.

Anyway, if all of those things go out. I will be more happier than ever because that is what we need for many years. I'll read my books, pray, plant the foods, cherish my wife, and to practice with my firearms; while things are out of control.

Mister Clean
02-15-2012, 08:25
Ham radio.

Shortwave.

Local radio. TV.

Not everything depends solely on the Net.

Good answer!
Very succinct, too.

NC Bullseye
02-15-2012, 10:56
Make sure the horse is well fed and get the saddle bags emptied ready to carry the news.

Mister Clean
02-15-2012, 11:41
Make sure the horse is well fed and get the saddle bags emptied ready to carry the news.

Good idea!

Here is another advantage for a Ham radio:
--- you can hone your MORSE CODE skill set.

Morse Code also happens to be faster than sending the same message by text messaging.

http://www.coolestone.com/media/787/Text-Messaging-Vs-Morse-Code----Jay-Leno/

Captain Caveman
02-15-2012, 11:58
If Facebook goes down, my wife will have a FIT. I can see her phone getting thrown against a wall in frustration. :upeyes:

If gas gets over $5/gallon, I may be riding my horse to work every day. That's gonna make for a LOOOOONG 50mi round trip. :faint:

Glock30Eric
02-15-2012, 12:30
If Facebook goes down, my wife will have a FIT. I can see her phone getting thrown against a wall in frustration. :upeyes:

If gas gets over $5/gallon, I may be riding my horse to work every day. That's gonna make for a LOOOOONG 50mi round trip. :faint:

It will improve your health in a great degree. Your legs will be alike to horse's legs. :)

I'll do the same and I brought several spares for my bicycle's tire tubes.

Glock,Nevada
02-16-2012, 01:32
I think the cellphones would be the very last thing to go. Too easy to keep track of everyone with them ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

AimZeroed
02-16-2012, 03:08
This is a good thread. Often wondered what I would do if deprived of the net. Of course I would be ok but it is definitely survival mode time. The net is a must for food and product distribution as well as all financial transactions (most anyway). But if it is just certain communicative websites I am not worried. I don't use those things either, not even facebook. But it would be a time of high readiness to see which way the wind blows.

pugman
02-16-2012, 04:50
The action of the federal government to kill the net would be the equivalent of saying please come set the White House on fire...

While I agree the government's only concern during any real emergency is 1) How can we maintain control or 2) Give the perception we are maintaining control and 3) after all this SHTF nonsense is done how can we get back in control targeting a full net shutdown in this country would be very dangerous.

I can definitely see them targeting sites but do people realize how much is done on the web now? Kill the web for any length of time and this recession will be sparked into a full blown depression. E-commerce? I pay my bills on line...I receive all my bills on line....my credit card transactions are processed via the web, etc. Yes, killing the net would severly limit news transfer in this county for a period of time while it gets transformed back to the dark ages of paper and TV but I think the government would be shocked at the backlash...think Greece

The one thing I don't know is how it would affect the cellular network. Wired magazine wrote a recent add showing total net traffic between peers is on the decline - it peeked in 2005 and is now down to 23% of web traffic (the lion share of total web traffic now is video content at 51%). Peer to peer contact is primarily done now through simpler sleeker service....aka apps. You don't need the web to access and use facebook, twitter or any of that social garbage. Facebook doesn't sit on the net...the net is the doorway to it. Facebook sits on a server.

Now, if the government were to decide to turn off the cellular network...then its time to hit the streets in force...

RED64CJ5
02-16-2012, 06:10
Local FM radio.

Regional AM radio.

Ham radio.

Shortwave (maybe.)

And of course, Outdoor Hub's uber-secret prepcomm Chevy network.

kirgi08
02-16-2012, 07:40
Scanners.'08.

Captain Caveman
02-16-2012, 08:40
It will improve your health in a great degree. Your legs will be alike to horse's legs. :)

I'll do the same and I brought several spares for my bicycle's tire tubes.

You haven't seen my horse. I wouldn't be able to walk for days. She's like riding a 55 gallon drum...

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 08:42
So, how does one 'kill the net'?

Can you point me to the power switch for the net? Does it look anything like this?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/04/screen-grabs-linksys-internet.jpg

kirgi08
02-16-2012, 09:05
.Gov has been seizing/shutting down sites left and right.'08.

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 09:08
.Gov has been seizing/shutting down sites left and right.'08.

So, they shut down a site. There are billions if not trillions of other sites out there.

I'm leading you with that question. The answer is: There is no way to 'shut down' the internet. Especially given that the government relies on the same Layer 1 backbone that the rest of us do for many of its functions.

kirgi08
02-16-2012, 09:15
Baby steps/practice,pick your poison.'08.

Bren
02-16-2012, 09:31
:upeyes:Have you thought about a possibility of the .gov's impending action to throw the public into the information dark ages ??

By "dark ages" you mean the 1990's and before? OMG! Whatever would we do. I feel faint.:rofl::upeyes::rofl:

TangoFoxtrot
02-16-2012, 09:36
I would not put it past our government to blackout comms. to control a serious situation. Our government will be just as ruthless as any other if pushed far enough. Remember never have blind faith in your government! They will definitely screw us over if we let them. Just remember Katrina and how local, state, federal government handled that situation.

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 10:20
Some of you seem to have focused simply on my comments about the net. Here is the rest of the concern...
The public is using FB, Twitter and other venues to organize and gather news on unfolding events and to organize the masses. If it escalates here, cell phone service may be interrupted in affected locations to disrupt phone tree's, as well as cable and satellite services...

TangoFoxtrot
02-16-2012, 10:29
Some of you seem to have focused simply on my comments about the net. Here is the rest of the concern...

When I said Comms. I meant all forms including FB, Twitter, cable, satellite, etc.

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 10:45
You did TF, some of the others didn't catch it though.

I think there is a very real possibility that all comms could be interrupted in the event of increased disruption and demonstrations. Heck, Egypt was quick "flip the switch". Others seem to think it can't be done but that simply isn't true and flies in the face of reality and what's already happened.

A general "news blackout", cell phone service interruption, ISP lockdowns, etc. could easily be done with little to no advanced warning. It would be quite alarming to many who depend on quick access to services to suddenly find it simply isn't there due to a localized or general emergency. I think a lot of people are simply naive in thinking it can't, or won't happen in the good ole USA.

gimmejr
02-16-2012, 10:56
If the net was turned off Id go read a book. :>

"I think a lot of people are simply naive in thinking it can't, or won't happen in the good ole USA."

Not sure how much this made the national news last year but its about BART turning off cell service during an occupy event.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391046,00.asp

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 11:22
You did TF, some of the others didn't catch it though.

I think there is a very real possibility that all comms could be interrupted in the event of increased disruption and demonstrations. Heck, Egypt was quick "flip the switch". Others seem to think it can't be done but that simply isn't true and flies in the face of reality and what's already happened.

A general "news blackout", cell phone service interruption, ISP lockdowns, etc. could easily be done with little to no advanced warning. It would be quite alarming to many who depend on quick access to services to suddenly find it simply isn't there due to a localized or general emergency. I think a lot of people are simply naive in thinking it can't, or won't happen in the good ole USA.

You think so?

Okay. Tell me how. I assure you that no matter how technical you get, I can keep up; it won't go over my head.

I can give you a plethora of reasons why they CAN'T. But I'd like to hear your explaination as to why they CAN. To date, I've never had anyone give me a good answer when asked this question. But I have had some hilarious attempts thrown my way - the best of which was a guy who said there were 9 root DNS servers that the US government controlled and they should shut down the world by shutting them down. That one had me :rofl:

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 11:37
You could probably keep up Rambo, but the common people can't. When they go to their computer a bring up Internet Explorer and it won't connect, and they call their ISP and get a recorded message, most aren't technical enough to go beyond that, would you agree ?

Besides, this thread isn't all about the net.

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 12:26
You could probably keep up Rambo, but the common people can't. When they go to their computer a bring up Internet Explorer and it won't connect, and they call their ISP and get a recorded message, most aren't technical enough to go beyond that, would you agree ?

Besides, THIS THREAD ISN'T "ALL" ABOUT THE NET. :dunno:

Well, you're assuming it would get to that part. HOW could it get like that? Remember, the internet is not owned nor managed by the government. There is no central place to turn it on or off. Its comprised of datacenters and hubs throughout the world. You would have to shut down the datacenters and hubs. And not only is it next to impossible to locate them all (for security purposes), but computer nerds run them. Us computer nerds....wel don't like being strongarmed by anyone on our equipment - mostly because we know we're the only ones that can work on them.

I'm not saying the government wouldn't try, I'm just saying, it would be an absolute logistical nightmare.

UneasyRider
02-16-2012, 12:46
Well, you're assuming it would get to that part. HOW could it get like that? Remember, the internet is not owned nor managed by the government. There is no central place to turn it on or off. Its comprised of datacenters and hubs throughout the world. You would have to shut down the datacenters and hubs. And not only is it next to impossible to locate them all (for security purposes), but computer nerds run them. Us computer nerds....wel don't like being strongarmed by anyone on our equipment - mostly because we know we're the only ones that can work on them.

I'm not saying the government wouldn't try, I'm just saying, it would be an absolute logistical nightmare.

They could do it with the flip of a switch, the plan is ready for execution.

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 12:54
They could do it with the flip of a switch, the plan is ready for execution.

Where is the switch? What is the switch? How does the switch work?

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 14:05
John's trying to show his net savvy. He's ignoring the entire point of the thread which covers other venues too, and restricting comms.

C'mon Rambo. Can you contribute some positive info ? Maybe tell us how they "didn't do it" in Egypt, in detail ?

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 14:21
John's trying to show his net savvy. He's ignoring the entire point of the thread which covers other venues too, and restricting comms.

C'mon Rambo. Can you contribute some positive info ? Maybe tell us how they "didn't do it" in Egypt, in detail ?

"Net Savy"? No, I just don't have the inclination to indulge every tom, dick, and harry who says, "THEY'RE GOING TO SHUT OFF OUR INTERNETS!" You don't go to your mechanic and tell him that your car has a magic pixie dust allifction that makes it get 5mpg, do you? If you have a theory on how that is possible then I want to hear it. If all you have is some conspiracy therorist crap that you're regurgitating, then I have no time for it and won't simply let you spread your propaganda in a thread I'm in.

Because tha answer is, in America, its next to impossible to disable the internet. The public and private sectors are too intertwined at the physical layer (that means we share the same cables and network devices), and its too distributed.

AS FOR EGYPT. The government told the ISPs to shut off service. Thats all. The government didn't shut off anything, they made a few phonecalls. Thats easy to do in Egypt, where they don't have nearly the network infrastructure this country has, and even they only achieved a ~92 success rate in shutting off the service. Can you imagine if the US government tried to get all US internet carriers to shut down the internet for their customers? They'd get a lot of middle fingers.

Its not even a technical issue when comparing the two countries. Its an issue of how much control the government has over the people. Are you going to try and argue with me that America's government can subjugate the people like Egypt's government can?

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 15:06
Also, if you're looking for a "boogey man" in the Egypt situation, there is one.

The company is called Narus. Their product is called Hone. They are owned by, are you ready for this.....?

BOEING

To my knowledge, their product is not used over here like it is over there.

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 16:00
AS FOR EGYPT. The government told the ISPs to shut off service. Thats all. The government didn't shut off anything, they made a few phonecalls.

Thank you John. That's what I needed. And we're so sorry to take up so much of your valuable time. You can get back to Grand Theft Auto now. :upeyes:

Bren
02-16-2012, 17:32

I didn't have any of that, or the internet, before 1995ish. So?

I'll repeat: "OMG! Whatever would we do. I feel faint." :upeyes::rofl:

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 19:36
Here's an interesting article about how it was done. Doesn't seem too difficult a means to help cripple information flow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8288163/How-Egypt-shut-down-the-internet.html

noway
02-16-2012, 19:44
So how does one expect the gov to shutdown the internet? You known it's a bunch of net attached to others and no single "off switch"

just like Mr Clean, I have other methods to include ham radio , solar panels, wheelchair battery, and MARS for communication if I so need to reachout and talk to some one. My life does not revolve around the internet :rofl:

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 19:52
Some of you guys are so narrow-minded it's hilarious. Think beyond your shoe size, will ya ? WTH, over ?

This place draws 'em for sure. Wow.

I've got HAM too. And cell phone, and FRS and GMRS. Ever think for a minute that your comms, any comms, could be restricted ? If not, drive on. Stockpile your TP and live in bliss. LOL.

UneasyRider
02-16-2012, 20:02
So how does one expect the gov to shutdown the internet? You known it's a bunch of net attached to others and no single "off switch"

just like Mr Clean, I have other methods to include ham radio , solar panels, wheelchair battery, and MARS for communication if I so need to reachout and talk to some one. My life does not revolve around the internet :rofl:

You know that a few company's control all of those fiber optic cables that run on the side of the highways and carry almost all of our internet traffic (by percentage), how many phone calls from Homeland Security do you think that it would take including to them? Not many. When they say turn it off it's gone.

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 20:09
Here. Le'me help some of you remember back to November.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/did-you-know-feds-will-temporarily-cut-off-all-tv-and-radio-broadcasts-on-nov-9/

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 20:19
And here's some 83 pages of DHS plans to control communications in an emergency. As you read you'll note one of their goals of course is "governance" of communications systems, which can mean termination thereof for the private sector.

http://www.dhs.gov/files/publications/gc_1217521334397.shtm

jdavionic
02-16-2012, 20:24
I have little doubt that govt could shutdown comms. While may panic folks, I just don't see it as a great panic for me. Inconvenient in some ways, but that's it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 21:12
Here. Le'me help some of you remember back to November.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/did-you-know-feds-will-temporarily-cut-off-all-tv-and-radio-broadcasts-on-nov-9/

Strange, I didn't experience any outages with our stuff or our clients' stuff when that happened.

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 21:15
It was a practice run to see where the failures were. They ID'ed those areas and supposedly are implementing fixes to improve their nationwide effectiveness.

John Rambo
02-16-2012, 21:18
It was a practice run to see where the failures were. They ID'ed those areas and supposedly are implementing fixes to improve their nationwide effectiveness.

I didn't pay much attention to it, but I doubt dedicated, leased lines will ever be affected by anything. To do so would violate the service agreements and negative the very purpose of having leased lines. Not to say leased lines couldn't be shut down, but they wouldn't be interrupted by something so inconsequential as a government PSA. These are the types of lines that Fortune 500 companies use - the ones where millions of dollars are made every minute - the ones where you had better be wearing a bulletproof vest if you so much as tap one the wrong way and it goes down for 45 seconds. The only variable in them is bandwidth.

ArmoryDoc
02-16-2012, 21:34
Yeah, they couldn't impact those very easily. But then John Q. Public doesn't center their daily lives around those, which is kinda where I was going with the thread. I think if there were isolated, or widespread pockets of civil unrest, the .gov wouldn't hesitate to enact emergency plans to interrupt public communications. I think it's coming, just a matter of when. This year has a lot of potential for it.

pistoleer
02-16-2012, 21:39
I saw that happen on a TV show once LoL http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s12e06-over-logging

JBCIII
02-16-2012, 23:26
If the net was turned off Id go read a book. :>

Pretty much what I was going to say. Honestly, I don't have a Facebook account, don't use Twitter, rarely email, rarely use my cell phone (wife and I combined have something over 4,000 rollover minutes), and don't spend much time on the internet in general. This posting is probably the longest time I was online today.
Odd, because for 5 years I was in IT support, and now I work with computers constantly, basically on a terminal level.

I guess outside of a paying situation it is a Busman's Holiday to me...

Mister Clean
02-16-2012, 23:42
NOTE: This is public information and readily available. In other words, no state secrets.

Root Name Server Operators and Locations

VeriSign Global Registry Services
Herndon VA, US
www.verisign-grs.com

Information Sciences Institute
Marina Del Rey CA, US
http://www.isi.edu

Cogent Communications
Herndon VA, US
http://www.psi.net

University of Maryland
College Park MD, US
http://www.umd.edu

NASA Ames Research Center
Mountain View CA, US
http://www.nasa.gov

Internet Software Consortium
Palo Alto CA, US;
San Francisco CA, US
IPv4: 192.5.5.241
IPv6: 2001:500::1035
http://www.isc.org

U.S. DOD Network Information Center
Vienna VA, US
http://nic.mil

U.S. Army Research Lab
Aberdeen MD, US
IPv4: 128.63.2.53
IPv6: 2001:500:1::803f:235
http://www.arl.mil

Autonomica
Stockholm, SE
http://www.nordu.net

Herndon VA, US
N/A

Reseaux IP Europeens - Network Coordination Centre
London, UK
http://www.ripe.net

Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
Los Angeles CA, US
N/A

WIDE Project
Tokyo, JP
http://www.wide.ad.jp

Sources:
http://root-servers.org/
http://www.icann.org/committees/dns-root/y2k-statement.htm

Mister Clean
02-16-2012, 23:54
http://www.ncs.gov/nstac/reports/2003/Telecom%20Hotels.pdf

TangoFoxtrot
02-17-2012, 04:53

Besides, this thread isn't all about the net.

I agree there!

John Rambo
02-17-2012, 06:48
NOTE: This is public information and readily available. In other words, no state secrets.

Root Name Server Operators and Locations

Herndon VA, US
www.verisign-grs.com (http://www.verisign-grs.com)

Information Sciences Institute
Marina Del Rey CA, US
http://www.isi.edu

Cogent Communications
Herndon VA, US
http://www.psi.net

University of Maryland
College Park MD, US
http://www.umd.edu

NASA Ames Research Center
Mountain View CA, US
http://www.nasa.gov

Internet Software Consortium
Palo Alto CA, US;
San Francisco CA, US
IPv4: 192.5.5.241
IPv6: 2001:500::1035
http://www.isc.org

U.S. DOD Network Information Center
Vienna VA, US
http://nic.mil

U.S. Army Research Lab
Aberdeen MD, US
IPv4: 128.63.2.53
IPv6: 2001:500:1::803f:235
http://www.arl.mil

Autonomica
Stockholm, SE
http://www.nordu.net

Herndon VA, US
N/A

Reseaux IP Europeens - Network Coordination Centre
London, UK
http://www.ripe.net

Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
Los Angeles CA, US
N/A

WIDE Project
Tokyo, JP
http://www.wide.ad.jp

Sources:
http://root-servers.org/
http://www.icann.org/committees/dns-root/y2k-statement.htm

The resurgence of the root DNS server crackpot theory! :rofl:

You are looking at the right information, you just don't understand it.

Here is a blog by ICANN to help you. http://blog.icann.org/2007/11/there-are-not-13-root-servers/

John Rambo
02-17-2012, 06:50
Yeah, they couldn't impact those very easily. But then John Q. Public doesn't center their daily lives around those, which is kinda where I was going with the thread. I think if there were isolated, or widespread pockets of civil unrest, the .gov wouldn't hesitate to enact emergency plans to interrupt public communications. I think it's coming, just a matter of when. This year has a lot of potential for it.

Very true, but remember that the broadcast system exists on the whims of the ISPs themselves. A couple commands and it ceases to exist. So, the crux of the issue is, would the ISPs comply? Now, my experience is limited to the IT professionals I've interacted with who work at or run datacenters or hubs, but based on what they've told me (granted, us computer nerds like to talk a big game) the answer is, "Not until someone pointed a gun barrel at their head." For my part, there is no way in hell I'd comply with a government order to shut down a datacenter or service hub if I ran one until the jack-booted thugs were right on top of me.

Mister Clean
02-17-2012, 08:18
“Regardless of the success of the attack, bringing down the root servers would
not result in a shutdown of the Net as we know it…the software that runs the root
servers likely has flaws that could be exploited by attackers. But "the sky is not
falling." The importance of the root servers has been overstated, Fred Cohn said,
arguing that their core functions could be rebuilt within hours. This attack shows
that it's possible to wreak havoc among a few hundred technical people who
have to batten down the hatches...But there have been no serious negative
consequences."
Fred Cohn, University of New Haven, CNET News.com, November 7, 2002

Mister Clean
02-17-2012, 08:20
“The root servers, dispersed throughout the world, are key way stations in the
routing of Internet messages and other traffic. The Internet was designed so that
no single point of failure could cripple the whole system. While half of the root
servers are located in the United States, buildings that once served as Internet
hubs are no longer located in a few central places.”
Marc Maiffret, eEye Digital Security, Viejo, CA Washington Post, September 28, 2001

gommer
02-17-2012, 08:42
The government isn't going to black out the internet.

They may grey it out - eg filter sites they don't want people to see - but never black it out.

That would be destroying their best tool to indoctrine folks.

Yeah, I could see it as being possible. I don't think it could ever happen, though - because the public unrest would be so incredible... honestly I can't think of anything worse. Americans are addicted to the internet - cutting them off would be like putting a fat person on a crash diet.

Sure, if you do it to just one person it'd be ok - but if you did it to a hundred all together at the same time they'd riot on you.

The BEST THING any red-blooded American can do to protect their rights is step outside their door this good morning and buy a gun. Already own a gun? Get another!

The more the government realizes we are all armed and the more being armed becomes acceptable the better off we are as a nation.

John Rambo
02-17-2012, 08:45
“Regardless of the success of the attack, bringing down the root servers would
not result in a shutdown of the Net as we know it…the software that runs the root
servers likely has flaws that could be exploited by attackers. But "the sky is not
falling." The importance of the root servers has been overstated, Fred Cohn said,
arguing that their core functions could be rebuilt within hours. This attack shows
that it's possible to wreak havoc among a few hundred technical people who
have to batten down the hatches...But there have been no serious negative
consequences."
Fred Cohn, University of New Haven, CNET News.com, November 7, 2002

So, have you realized the error of your post after reading that link?

Glockdude1
02-17-2012, 09:15
Grill some burgers and load magazines

Get a better night's sleep.

j/k - sort of.

While I think a blackout is possible, I would expect that a lot more would have our attention at that point. For the government to embark on that path, we would have a national situation where an information blackout would be deemed a benefit that outweighs the subsequent fall out from such an extreme action. Therefore I would expect 'the line' would already be crossed for most of us here and we would be in emergency mode already.

:agree:

WolfNotSheep
02-17-2012, 10:45
If mainstream coms go down then I'll be damn glad for my brother's ham radio and our CBs.

runcible68
02-18-2012, 22:34
I see some very edgy people deprived of internet pron.