Holstering the Weapon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holstering the Weapon

whw
02-14-2012, 20:25
Hello Mas,
In your studies of self defense shootings, have you seen any trends associated with a defender's attempt to holster their gun after the conflict has ended? Are accidental discharges an infrequent occurence? Are there certain weapons platforms that have proven themselves to be more dangerous than others?
Thanks in advance for your comments. I thought you might help me sift through all the"facts" found on the internet.

Thanks,
Whw

Mas Ayoob
02-15-2012, 16:37
If something catches the trigger as the gun is being inserted into the holster, it can drive the trigger to the rear, discharging the gun. The "something" can be a poorly designed safety strap, the adjustment cord on the hem of a windbreaker, or -- most often -- the shooter's own trigger finger.

A manual safety (if engaged!) can prevent this. A grip safety -- if working, and if the thumb is up on the back of the hammer or slide so the grip safety is activated -- can prevent this. The thumb on the hammer, holding it down on a double action gun or back on a cocked and locked pistol, can prevent this.

If none of these are present, more caution is required on the part of the shooter. But maximum caution is ALWAYS required of the user, so...

At the moment, I'm perfectly comfortable with the Glock 31 I have on, in a Mamba IWB holster complete with SureFire light, by Jason Christianson, at concealmentsolutions.com.

best,
Mas

whw
02-15-2012, 19:13
Thanks for the excellent response. I am very conflicted when considering the tradeoffs between reliability and safety. My Glocks are the most reliable guns in my collection, but other platforms have some additinal, built in, safety features. Your response described them well.
I sure would be disappointed if I bled out as a result of shooting myself while reholstering following a successful self defense situation. Shooting one's self is certainly a negative, but a blood thinner regimen makes it even more serious.
My Glocks have been more reliable than my revolvers, but I would sure feel a lot more comfortable with a hammer I could place my thimb on while reholstering my G30.
Thanks again for the response.