Using motor oil as a gun lubricant?... Other questions too... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using motor oil as a gun lubricant?... Other questions too...

nyycanseco33
02-14-2012, 22:05
I have seen this mentioned a couple times but it's real rare... Just curious who here actually uses 40W motor oil or whatever other W motor oil you prefer? Does it work the same as the hoppes or other lubricants?

Does anybody add the Loctite copper C5-A lubricant to their guns? I noticed Glock uses it as a break in lubricant on the rails of the slide... Does anybody add more to it once it's gone or add it if the guns will sit for a long time?

Also who has used the Weapon Shield brand lubrication oil on their guns and how well does it work?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

jjslice
02-14-2012, 22:18
I use Mobil 1 in whichever bottle I have on hand and white lithium grease for when I want it to stay in place. Don't see a problem with them, my engines see much harsher environments than my guns ever will

James Dean
02-14-2012, 22:27
I like Mobil 1 too. A quart will last a long long time.

WoodenPlank
02-14-2012, 22:46
SLIP 2000 for parts that need oil, white lithium grease for slide rails and the internals of my H&K P7. I only use motor oil in my car's engine.

crazymoose
02-14-2012, 23:01
I often use light weight synthetic motor oil in my guns and notice significantly smoother operation than with almost any gun oil I've used. Only problem is the smell.

YMMV, but I think gun oil is sold at an unbelievable markup. Synthetic motor oil is designed to lubricate at a very broad range of temperatures for many, many cycles, and to hold fouling and debris in suspension. Seems more than adequate for use in guns.

DFin
02-14-2012, 23:09
Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease.

RGbiker
02-14-2012, 23:18
Mobil 1 5W10 in a needle oiler for internal lube. Slide glide lite or TW25b for frame/slide rails and barrel/slide contact areas.

TxGlock9
02-14-2012, 23:50
Militec-1.. Can be used in engines as well.

RetDep310
02-15-2012, 00:30
I recently started using a mix of 2 parts of Mobil 1 Synthetic 20w50 to 1 part Mobil 1 Synthetic Transmission fluid. One of my old LEO friends turned me onto this mix. His department uses this on their patrol rifles, as does the firearms guys at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. Stays put and does not burn off easily. This is supposedly close to the same mix that Navy Seals use on their weapons.

aptrpl6
02-15-2012, 01:28
I've used nothing but Weapon Shield for a couple of years now on all of my guns for both lube and cleaning. I'm sold on it.

sourdough44
02-15-2012, 05:40
I use a bit of 'Royal Purple' very light weight synthetic oil at times. I think it's 0-20w, or 5-20w. I've mostly used it for higher volume AR shooting, like in a SD dogtown where the shot count can go into the 100's. I didn't want my AR to go dry.

vafish
02-15-2012, 06:15
Mobile 1 5w20.

Read on line several years ago a military spec for gun lubricant and Mobile 1 beat it in every category.

svtpwnz
02-15-2012, 08:05
I use Royal Purple on my AR's and Gun grease on the rails of my 1911's. I have noticed that the action on my weapons is significantly smoother and the oil does not burn off nearly as fast.

oldnoob
02-15-2012, 08:46
I had used Castrol GTX 10w-30 for a period of time. Nothing went wrong at that time. but now I use Rem oil to clean and Frog Lube for the action. I just enjoy the smothness frog lube gives me and not to worry about breath in half oz of motor oil every time I go to indoor range.

M&P15T
02-15-2012, 08:48
Whatever Synthetic oil is around...Royal Purple, Mobil1......weight doesn't matter.

dosei
02-15-2012, 09:53
Here is an article I found a long time ago with very good information regarding lube.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Bob Hafler
02-15-2012, 10:14
I use Mobil one V twin 20/50 in my Harley I have at times drained what ever is left in a bottle into a smaller bottle and used it on my pistols and rifles with great results. Figure if it good enough for a 14,000 dollar Harley it's good enough for a 500 dollar glock that doesn't take much lube to make it work.

jwhite75
02-15-2012, 10:28
5W-30 whatever is left in the bottom of my quart bottle I put in to a cheap squeeze bottle from Wally for travel shampoo. They are cheap and work great. You dont need a lot especially on a Glock.

Works great.

LabTech
02-15-2012, 18:53
Mobil 1 15W50 here.

390ish
02-15-2012, 19:32
Mobil 1 5w20 or any brand ATF dextron

Bigpoppie50
02-15-2012, 21:58
Mobil One 5W-30 fully synthetic

OJ.
02-16-2012, 19:55
Here is an article I found a long time ago with very good information regarding lube.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

I use the FMO-AW oil and Aluminum based grease per these recommendations, no problems and I am happy. :dunno:

zebramochaman
02-17-2012, 01:04
I can't understand why anyone would like to use anything other than the standard Rem. Oil or other conventional lubes. As far as costs go, I have been shooting for 4-5 years now and I own more than a couple of dozen guns that I use Rem. Oil on. I am still using the original 4oz bottle that I paid less than $5 for and it is still half full. I go to the range 4-8 times per month depending on the weather and I clean/lube my guns after every trip. I just don't get it.

Locoweed
02-17-2012, 09:20
Just started using Mobil 1 on my guns and am very satisfied. The cost of a bottle is negligible considering how long it will last you. I bought a needle oiler to be able to put it in just the right spot.

s&wfan
02-17-2012, 09:39
Seems like you'd want to use no detergent oil on your gun if that was what you used.

AZ Jeff
02-17-2012, 13:15
Seems like you'd want to use no detergent oil on your gun if that was what you used.

That's pretty immaterial. There are no byproducts of combustion that need to be kept in suspension so as to not cause sludge build up, as is the case in internal combustion engines.

ghr1142
02-17-2012, 14:38
"motor oil" for a lube for glocks ? I own several ! Can anyone please inform me were the "dip stick" is located ?? Lol.

s&wfan
02-17-2012, 15:31
That's pretty immaterial. There are no byproducts of combustion that need to be kept in suspension so as to not cause sludge build up, as is the case in internal combustion engines.

Got it. Thank you for clarifying that, I have wondered for a while.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but are there any gun specific cleaners/lubricants that anyone advises against? I use RemOil on everything, or CLP.

banger
02-17-2012, 16:33
I clean with synthetic ATF, lube with Mobil-1 20W-50.

Have done so for years. Nothing but good results.

EKUJustice
02-17-2012, 21:59
use mobile one here. I like it better that the water thin remoil by far. I figure if its good enough for an engine, it will be for a gun. Engine gets run much harder than a gun

Glock19Fan
02-18-2012, 04:46
At home I clean with BreakFree CLP, then lube with Mobile 1 20W-50 Synthetic oil.

In my experience, to best clean a weapon the oil should be fairly thin, and to best lubricate a weapon, a heavy oil should be used to prevent drying or burn off.

And for what its worth, I have had good results CLEANING with shaving cream. It gets into spots you normally dont reach, it suspends the dirt and carbon in the foam, and the alcohols in it seem to strip off the deep carbons.

M2 Carbine
02-18-2012, 08:25
Whatever you do use some kind of oil or grease.
It seems like every time I look at someones gun it is bone dry.

Personally I use Break-Free CLP and a military gun grease on the hard working parts.

blastfact
02-18-2012, 11:14
I use M1 oil, tranny fluid and grease. A little bit goes a very long way and works great!

Decguns
02-18-2012, 17:38
Any motor oil will work fine on your guns. I use Mobil 1 or Wal-Mart's generic Super Tech synthetic 5W30.

bmoore
02-18-2012, 17:54
About 85% Mobil 1 10w-30 with 15% automatic tranny fluid in a 49 cent twist top dropper bottle my wife gets at the container store. I use regular high temp bearing grease for rails/high wear areas. Gun oil is a bigger scam than gas prices. 15 dollars will last you a lifetime and you can give it out to your friends when they don't have any.

Ebb27
02-18-2012, 18:34
I use Mobil 1 20w50.

It stays put and doesn't run off or evaporate away as fast as some oils.

As far as lubrication, it's designed for metal-on-metal contact which is also what takes place on a gun.

cloudbuster
02-18-2012, 23:20
I use Breakfree CLP for cleaning and wipe-downs. I have a 16oz bottle of plain old Hoppes gun oil that is taking me forever to go through, so I don't anticipate being in the market for a quart of motor oil (for guns) for years. I'd feel quite comfortable using pretty much any motor oil. As people have mentioned, a car engine is a much harsher environment than the rails on my Glock. I typically use ND 30W on my chainsaw bars and, again, there's a lot more debris and junk to deal with there (but constant application).

ETA: I also use Hoppes #9 for cleaning. I like it better for barrels than CLP.

AZ Jeff
02-19-2012, 10:56
Gun oil is a bigger scam than gas prices. 15 dollars will last you a lifetime and you can give it out to your friends when they don't have any.

Another big scam is bore cleaners. Except for those intended to deal specifically with heavy lead or copper deposits, all the others are just high priced oils.

I make a batch of "Ed's Red" every four years or so, and give some of it to my friends. If it's good enough for the Frankfort Arsenal, it's good enough for me...

bmoore
02-19-2012, 10:58
Another big scam is bore cleaners. Except for those intended to deal specifically with heavy lead or copper deposits, all the others are just high priced oils.

I make a batch of "Ed's Red" every four years or so, and give some of it to my friends. If it's good enough for the Frankfort Arsenal, it's good enough for me...

I will look into that. I like Mpro7 because quite frankly it just works very well.

AZ Jeff
02-19-2012, 11:08
I will look into that. I like Mpro7 because quite frankly it just works very well.

Yes, I have used Mpro7, and it is nice. The only thing I saw is that it leaves no protective residue behind. Most other bore and action cleaners do. Ed's Red, which contains ATF, leaves behind a nice thin film of protection.

NeverMore1701
02-19-2012, 11:43
The 5W-30 Mobil 1 I use in my car works just fine on my guns.

redbaron007
02-19-2012, 14:46
My Glocks see only Mobil 1 20w50 syn. No grease! Started using a ATF mixture-3 parts 20w50, one part ATF-switched back to just 20w50 syn. Again, no grease!

:wavey:

red

svtpwnz
02-19-2012, 15:12
About 85% Mobil 1 10w-30 with 15% automatic tranny fluid in a 49 cent twist top dropper bottle my wife gets at the container store. I use regular high temp bearing grease for rails/high wear areas. Gun oil is a bigger scam than gas prices. 15 dollars will last you a lifetime and you can give it out to your friends when they don't have any.

+1 a bottle of Royal purple has lasted me for what seems an eternity and work great on all my weapons.

crazymoose
02-20-2012, 14:52
I can't understand why anyone would like to use anything other than the standard Rem. Oil or other conventional lubes. As far as costs go, I have been shooting for 4-5 years now and I own more than a couple of dozen guns that I use Rem. Oil on. I am still using the original 4oz bottle that I paid less than $5 for and it is still half full. I go to the range 4-8 times per month depending on the weather and I clean/lube my guns after every trip. I just don't get it.

Synthetic motor oil lubricates at least as well as any gun oil I've tried, and it stays in place a whole lot better. The only reason I don't use it all the time is because the smell can get annoying.

There's nothing special about a gun's lubrication needs that calls for a special gun oil. It's still metal-on-metal contact. CLP and similar products are popular in part because they lubricate and clean, though not as well as a dedicated lubricant and a dedicated cleaning product.

nyycanseco33
02-20-2012, 15:13
I've noticed a pattern here, most people here prefer synthetic type motor oil over regular motor oil... What is the reason?

banger
02-20-2012, 17:46
I've noticed a pattern here, most people here prefer synthetic type motor oil over regular motor oil... What is the reason?

Synthetic does not get thicker when it gets cold.

Further, I does not gel as it ages.

southernshooter
02-20-2012, 17:52
[QUOTE=zebramochaman;18591093]I can't understand why anyone would like to use anything other than the standard Rem. Oil or other conventional lubes. As far as costs go, I have been shooting for 4-5 years now and I own more than a couple of dozen guns that I use Rem. Oil on. I am still using the original 4oz bottle that I paid less than $5 for and it is still half full. I go to the range 4-8 times per month depending on the weather and I clean/lube my guns after every trip. I just don't get it.

I have thought that before also. I get a new can of Rem oil and some bore cleaner every few years whether I need some more or not.

nyycanseco33
02-20-2012, 21:41
Some of us shoot more often than others and require more frequent cleanings... A can of rem oil or CLP might last me just over 2 months if I'm lucky and others here are similar to me

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 21:56
If motor oil works, why not. I never really gave it much thought. That's surprising we me being a mechanic and all. I'll have to try it on one of my AR's. That will be a good test. If it doesn't burn off and the action stays slick, I'll switch!

I currently use MilComm TW25b. I really like it and is the best thing I've found yet.

NeverMore1701
02-20-2012, 22:10
If motor oil works, why not. I never really gave it much thought. That's surprising we me being a mechanic and all. I'll have to try it on one of my AR's. That will be a good test. If it doesn't burn off and the action stays slick, I'll switch!

I currently use MilComm TW25b. I really like it and is the best thing I've found yet.

I've shot about 500 rounds through my AR in windy, dusty, hot conditions, and while it was plenty dirty, the innards were still slick when I was done.

gunsmoke92
02-20-2012, 22:16
"motor oil" for a lube for glocks ? I own several ! Can anyone please inform me were the "dip stick" is located ?? Lol.

Located just below your hair line. :whistling:

Just kidding.:supergrin:

Any synthetic oil works well. The advantage of synthetic oil on a firearm is the same as for your engine. Synthetic oils provide excellent lubrication and protection because the molecules bond with the metal components. There remains a degree of lubrication even when the parts don't appear wet, plus synthetics don't break down with heat like dino based oils.

Price is a pretty good selling point also. Compare the price of a bottle of CLP and a quart of Mobil One. You can lube a whole bunch of firearms for a long time with that much oil for around the same price. :cool:

NEOH212
02-20-2012, 22:32
I've shot about 500 rounds through my AR in windy, dusty, hot conditions, and while it was plenty dirty, the innards were still slick when I was done.

That's goo to know. Motor oil will be a lot cheaper than all the Mil Comm that I go through!

AA#5
02-20-2012, 22:41
I use gun oil in my car's engine.

:rofl:

just for fun
02-21-2012, 09:22
I use Mobil 1 in whichever bottle I have on hand and white lithium grease for when I want it to stay in place. Don't see a problem with them, my engines see much harsher environments than my guns ever will Amen brother! For yrs. Iv'e been saying the automotive field spends more on researsh than the total investment of the "speciality" Mom&Pop's gun oil companies.
Grandpa's (add name here) was kept that way with nothing more than Hoppes, 3in1 oil, and lots of TLC. Hard earned money bought those firearms and they were cherished and prized positions! Today's moter oils reflect more than 50 yrs. of improvements to help do the same with less effort.

SauerChoi
02-21-2012, 09:43
Located just below your hair line. :whistling:

Just kidding.:supergrin:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bob Hafler
02-21-2012, 10:02
In my gun cleaning and lube box I have a small Cracker Barrel pancake sirup bottle filled with MB1 20/50 syn motor oil. I apply the oil to the pistols/rifles with a small artist brush. This way you can control how much oil you want on a particular area. I've used it at one time or another on everything from KT p3at's,1911s, to M1 Garands with some great results. I swear some of these gun oils we see today are just repackaged motoroil anyway. Only difference is they charge more for it, and give you less of it.http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/Smileys/classic/fishing.gif

plouffedaddy
02-21-2012, 10:12
In my gun cleaning and lube box I have a small Cracker Barrel pancake sirup bottle filled with MB1 20/50 syn motor oil. I apply the oil to the pistols/rifles with a small artist brush. This way you can control how much oil you want on a particular area. I've used it at one time or another on everything from KT p3at's,1911s, to M1 Garands with some great results. I swear some of these gun oils we see today are just repackaged motoroil anyway. Only difference is they charge more for it, and give you less of it.http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/Smileys/classic/fishing.gif

You may very well be right on that one. I saw a lab test of rem oil done at NC State a few years back and it was "over 99% similar to mineral oil." Compare that to the corrosion tests done on both substances and it looks to me like it IS mineral oil. But, it makes people feel better about their guns I suppose.

For me, I trust CLP. It was designed specifically for guns as opposed to motor oil. That said, I'd have no issues using motor oil should my 5 gallon jug of CLP ever run out...:wow:

robert101
02-21-2012, 14:02
Does anyone think that gun oil is produced by Remington? I don't believe Remington or anyother gun oil company actually makes or refines the oil they sell. It is usually a mixture of oil (or synthetic product) made by Mobil or another oil manufacturing company in bulk product.

Remington oil is to thin and runny for me. I prefer Mobil 1 20W50 and 1 part Dextron III. I also believe the research done by the major automotive oil producers far exceeds the gun oil guys. You can put bacon grease on your gun if you want to - no argument here.

Ebb27
02-21-2012, 16:58
For me, I trust CLP. It was designed specifically for guns as opposed to motor oil. That said, I'd have no issues using motor oil should my 5 gallon jug of CLP ever run out...:wow:

Was it or is it just some generic oil they buy and package as "gun" oil?

What exactly are the special needs of a gun that an oil must be "designed specifically" to meet?

At least with motor oil it's required to meet certain industry standards for lubrication, with "gun" oil who knows what it is or what or who's standards for lubrication it meets.

Basically all you're getting with "gun" oil is some sort of mystery oil that somebody claims is "specifically" for guns.

mboylan
02-21-2012, 22:21
[QUOTE=zebramochaman;18591093]I can't understand why anyone would like to use anything other than the standard Rem. Oil or other conventional lubes. As far as costs go, I have been shooting for 4-5 years now and I own more than a couple of dozen guns that I use Rem. Oil on. I am still using the original 4oz bottle that I paid less than $5 for and it is still half full. I go to the range 4-8 times per month depending on the weather and I clean/lube my guns after every trip. I just don't get it.

I have thought that before also. I get a new can of Rem Oil and some bore cleaner every few years whether I need some more or not.

Transmission fluid beats out Rem Oil in just about every category. Rem Oil is OK for protecting exposed metal surfaces. It's not the best lubricant out there.

Handgun rails really scream for something like lithium grease or Slide Glide. You want something to stay put.

madecov
02-21-2012, 23:42
I've tried almost all of the newest cool tactical lubes that come out over the years. Honestly Synthetic 5W30 has been the best for me.

I also picked up some Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease that I use on slide rails and the around the barrel (basically if it slides I grease, if it pivots I use oil). I have used it on both pistols and my AR's and have no malfunctions.

I have shot 100's of pistol rounds and the gun was still well lubed. On my AR bolt carrier it lasted a whole day of range time with close to a thousand rounds and the bolt carrier and lugs where still slick.

The gun companies don't do any research on oils, they contact one of the oil companies, ask for a product that fits their specific needs and have it packaged for resale.

JBP55
02-22-2012, 05:36
I lubricate my pistols with Mobil 1 20W50.

Bob Hafler
02-22-2012, 06:12
[QUOTE=Ebb27;18612389]

What exactly are the special needs of a gun that an oil must be "designed specifically" to meet?

QUOTE]

Non that I know of. That's why my earlier comment about it being nothing more then repackaged motoroil.
Gun oil companies do not sell enough of it to make it profitable to do thousands and thousands of dollas in research and development when there are already products on the market that have other uses that will also work on weapons equally as well. I'm thinking of coming out with a a lube for guns called Tactical Porky Lube. It will not only work well but it will make your pistol smell like bacon cooked it a hot pan after a few rounds. Yummy, now how cool is that I ask ya. Secret ingredient is fat from a tactical pig with a bad attitude and just a drop or two of...... Well that I can't tell ya but it will be the best stuff ever. :supergrin: