First AR- Bushmaster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First AR- Bushmaster

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 00:22
Im getting my first AR today and its a bushmaster. Wondering what your guys take on the fit and finish of Bushmaster as a brand. I've heard they're decent but no Colt. Any problems or issues I should be aware of. Tips? Thanks guys.

WoodenPlank
02-15-2012, 00:26
Some bushmaster ARs turn out fine, some turn out to be lemons. The lemon rate is higher in Bushmaster than many other brands, so many people avoid them.

Before this thread really gets going, though, lemme go grab my popcorn...

Javelin
02-15-2012, 00:39
Some bushmaster ARs turn out fine, some turn out to be lemons. The lemon rate is higher in Bushmaster than many other brands, so many people avoid them.

Before this thread really gets going, though, lemme go grab my popcorn...

Whatever. It has a cool snake on the rollmark. Does Colt or your precious SW Sport have that?

I didn't think so.

Javelin
02-15-2012, 00:41
I forgot to add. This.

:tongueout:

Ok I'm done.

aptrpl6
02-15-2012, 00:43
I guess that I got a good one. Roughly 2,000 rounds in three years and not one hiccup. Most of those rounds were "Wolf". The only fault that I have found was an un-staked castle nut, but that was easily remedied. I've heard some negative feedback about Bushmaster since they were bought out, but I don't have any first hand experience with that.

Javelin
02-15-2012, 01:06
BM is not really a bargain-priced gun. OP can I ask how much you are getting it for? Reason is a lot of people buy BM, Armalite, etc and then find out they could have had a Colt, LMT, BCM for roughly the same price and then get buyers remorse later on down the road.

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 07:09
Probably more than i should have but i got a ton of extras with it. Im new to the AR and Bushmaster seemed like a decent manufacturer. Just wanted to hear from people with more experience with Bushmaster.

svtpwnz
02-15-2012, 07:21
Probably more than i should have but i got a ton of extras with it. Im new to the AR and Bushmaster seemed like a decent manufacturer. Just wanted to hear from people with more experience with Bushmaster.

A buddy of mine has one and its a POS. The past few times we went to the range together, the thing has not run at all. It has jammed, issues with the bolt, won't feed, etc. I would not waste my money on one considering the fact you can get a Colt 6920, DDM4 V7, BCM for damn near the same money.

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 08:10
A buddy of mine has one and its a POS. The past few times we went to the range together, the thing has not run at all. It has jammed, issues with the bolt, won't feed, etc. I would not waste my money on one considering the fact you can get a Colt 6920, DDM4 V7, BCM for damn near the same money.

Great...

Glockdude1
02-15-2012, 08:15
When it comes to Bushmasters, the ONLY TIME you hear/read anything bad about them, is on the internet.

When you meet real owners of Bushmasters, the experience is the total opposite.

http://i56.tinypic.com/muvp5k.jpg

Mine has been excellent.

:thumbsup:

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 08:26
Well im picking it up today. I'll throw some pics up and a range report. Its only been shot about 20 times so we shall see.

smokin762
02-15-2012, 08:56
I own 2 Bushmaster rifles. I bought my first one in 2003 and I bought the second one in 2004. To this day, I have never had any kind of issue with either rifle. Shooting Wolf ammunition would be a different story.

In the past, I have bought Bushmasters and Rock River Arms complete rifles. All these rifles have been flawless for me. However at the time, I was also not familiar with some of the other choices that could be had. Some of them are just as good for a little less money.

Since now, I am more aware of what could be had and the finding out that my options are endless, my approach for buying an AR would be a little different. Knowing what I know now, it is very easy and cost effective to buy a complete lower and upper of one’s choosing and just snap them together. I recommend this to people all the time.

Gunnut 45/454
02-15-2012, 09:08
Gbannan
So your buying it USED? If thats the case and your spending more then $600 your getting ripped off! You said your getting extras with it -what are they? If it's used then why is it being sold?:whistling:

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 09:19
Its practically new. Maybe shot 20 times. Soft case, Quad rail, 223 ammo, 5.56 ammo, 4 mags, flip up sights, od green stock and original. Other stuff im forgetting.

But i guess shot 20 times is still used...

Buddy needs money badly.

deputy tom
02-15-2012, 09:25
Its practically new. Maybe shot 20 times. Soft case, Quad rail, 223 ammo, 5.56 ammo, 4 mags, flip up sights, od green stock and original. Other stuff im forgetting.

But i guess shot 20 times is still used...

Buddy needs money badly.

I've had nothing but good luck with Bushmasters. You will be happy with your new purchase I'm sure. You also will recieve good karma for helping your friend out.Good luck and please post a range report.tom.:cool:

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 09:38
I've had nothing but good luck with Bushmasters. You will be happy with your new purchase I'm sure. You also will recieve good karma for helping your friend out.Good luck and please post a range report.tom.:cool:

Hope so. Will report soon.

ca survivor
02-15-2012, 09:55
I have one, it's been good, true I don't have too many rounds through it maybe 500.

SigFTW
02-15-2012, 09:55
Gratz on your first AR!! :thumbsup: I know you will have a blast at the range. There is just one down side, you can never have enough ammo:crying: so save your pennies!!

TangoFoxtrot
02-15-2012, 09:59
Hey congrats on your new Bushmaster. Don't listen to all the internet experts here , just go out and shoot the snot out of it!!!! You'll figure it out for yourself.

bmoore
02-15-2012, 10:00
Just enjoy your rifle first and foremost man. Sounds like your helping your buddy out of a jam and thats cool. There isnt any part on that rifle that cant be replaced/upgraded (if you want to/if it needs to). Shoot the dog wad out of it and if something gives you a problem or you dont like it, replace it. I doubt it will give you any grief.

My cousin has a Bushy and it runs fine. He doenst take carbine courses and he doenst use it in combat. He owns a heating/AC company and shoots at cans/junk by the bayou on weekends. Pretty anti-climatic I know, but his rifle works just fine for general fun.

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 10:56
Thanks for the kind words guys. Really excited to hit the range.

mgs
02-15-2012, 11:06
Never had a problem with any of their parts. They had some front sight issues but their parts were mil-spec years ago when I did some builds. I have a lower built by them and it's as nice if not equal to my Colts. I just don't like their 1/9 twist barrels. I like 1/7 or 1/8, Mike.

GlockWheeler
02-15-2012, 11:16
The one seemingly consistent issue I had with prior Bushmaster uppers was that three out of three had improperly indexed barrels right out of the box. Functionally, they were fine but it was annoying having to send each one back for the same problem. One was a 14.5" upper with permanently attached flash hider, the second was a 16" HBAR and the third and last was a 16" Superlight. I stick with BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense and most recently a Stag LE upper and have had zero issues.

pag23
02-15-2012, 11:32
Congrats on your purchase! Did you get it at Targetmaster in Chadds Ford

TrueGunNut
02-15-2012, 16:43
I bought the Bushmaster Texas edition m4 during the obama election. I did not know anything about m4carbine.net and all the internet fanboys and different tiers of AR's. I REALLY loved my AR when I took it home and I still REALLY love it. I don't have buyers remorse anymore or wish it was a colt (its just an AR and I'm not in the navy seals).

My BM has been 100% flawless. I have just over 1k rounds of pmc .223 55 grain and an assortment of m193 and m855. After reading about all the internet craze, I bought into the whole milspec stuff and bought some upgrades: BCM BCG, BCM gunfighter charging handle and H buffer. It is now, for the most part, what you could call milspec.

In retrospect, I didn't need any of those parts but it gives me more warm and fuzzy feelings about it- and who doesn't like to upgrade their AR to some degree?! (also put a 1.5x trijicon acog on it)

I now have the BM bcg as a complete spare which is nice. I would not worry about the internet...I love my AR and I think it would do just as well as any other AR if the shtf.

Also, my gen 3 glock 19 purchased last year has been flawless. I'm going to shoot a couple hundred through her this weekend and we'll see if I have any brass dumped on my head ( don't recall any ejection issues in the 500+ rounds I've shot through her).

WoodenPlank
02-15-2012, 16:47
Whatever. It has a cool snake on the rollmark. Does Colt or your precious SW Sport have that?

I didn't think so.

:upeyes:

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 17:01

Here she is...

WayaX
02-15-2012, 17:02
:upeyes:

I there was sarcasm in there that wasn't conveyed.

bmoore
02-15-2012, 17:11

I didn't think so.

Classy.

bmoore
02-15-2012, 17:13

Here she is...

Nice, shoot it and enjoy it. I like to run Mobil 1 on the inside of the bolt carrier/bolt and just a little regular high temp grease on the 4 bolt carrier rails. Slip 2000 EWL works well also.

Glockdude1
02-15-2012, 17:15
http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=222969&d=1329350469

Here she is...

:thumbsup:

WoodenPlank
02-15-2012, 17:25
I there was sarcasm in there that wasn't conveyed.

I realize that, but Javelin has run that bit into the ground recently.

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 18:00
I personally like the way the gun looks. Hopefully it shoots well. I think the weapon will hold up just fine for the amount I shoot it. Just need to keep her clean and lubed.

TxGun
02-15-2012, 18:07
I've had a lot of ARs. Probably 20-25 minimum, so I'm pretty familar with them. Right now I have a Colt, a BCM build, and a Bushmaster. The Bushmaster is accurate and 100% reliable. I don't see much difference in fit/finish between the three.

aptrpl6
02-15-2012, 18:36
I personally like the way the gun looks. Hopefully it shoots well. I think the weapon will hold up just fine for the amount I shoot it. Just need to keep her clean and lubed.
Do just that and you will be very happy! FWIW, mine runs whether it's squeaky clean or dirty as hell. That's one bad a** rifle you have there regardless of what some folks will try to tell you!:thumbsup:

Gbannan
02-15-2012, 18:49
Do just that and you will be very happy! FWIW, mine runs whether it's squeaky clean or dirty as hell. That's one bad a** rifle you have there regardless of what some folks will try to tell you!:thumbsup:

Thanks dude

1911master
02-15-2012, 20:00
Good luck on the Bushmaster. I think you bought a great AR. When my son was home I had purchased a Bushmaster, this was when you could buy Wolf ammo for 100.00 per thousand. I cant tell you the exact number of rounds we shot through it but I know it was somewhere between 7 to 10 thousand. Never had any issues with the AR. Kind of wish I had it back but I can always pick up another AR.

TrueGunNut
02-15-2012, 21:06
I think the OP is and will continue to be very happy. Plus, he helped out his friend in need.

Now, not to hijack the thread, but TxGun:

Do you have a daughter I can marry!? Kind of joking, but not really! I'm 26, tall, dark handsome, Christian and I love my momma. :rofl: :wavey:

Hour13
02-15-2012, 21:33

Here she is...

:cool:

Nice looking Bushy bud, enjoy! Don't worry bout decking it out with hoopy-doopy add ons yet. Work the irons, stock up on Pmags, and ammo. Lots, and LOTS of ammo!

Fyi, SGammo has some sweet deals going right now on .223/5.56, and they ship cheap & fast.

Ordered up 800rds of 62gr 5.56 last night, due in tomorrow. Shipping was only like $14
:supergrin:

Gbannan
02-16-2012, 10:26

Nice looking Bushy bud, enjoy! Don't worry bout decking it out with hoopy-doopy add ons yet. Work the irons, stock up on Pmags, and ammo. Lots, and LOTS of ammo!

Fyi, SGammo has some sweet deals going right now on .223/5.56, and they ship cheap & fast.

Ordered up 800rds of 62gr 5.56 last night, due in tomorrow. Shipping was only like $14
:supergrin:

Wish i could bring my own 223 where I shoot. You can bring all other calibers but you must buy their 223. The range itself is great though.

WoodenPlank
02-16-2012, 11:02
Wish i could bring my own 223 where I shoot. You can bring all other calibers but you must buy their 223. The range itself is great though.

Indoor-only range? That's the only time I'd be OK with a range insisting on THEIR ammo only for rifles.

Gbannan
02-16-2012, 11:06
Yes indoor

Gbannan
02-16-2012, 19:35
Well, went to the range and put 50 rounds of American Eagle through her and she ran great. No malfunctions at all. Im very happy with the weapon. Not to thrilled to clean her up now though...

FatBoy
02-16-2012, 19:49
I have a circa late 90's BM and it always has been 100% w/ many 1000's of rounds through it. Now a days I run a BCM, but I still have luv for the Bushy. For a time they had FS and staking issues. Ck both, then have fun.

FB

Gbannan
02-16-2012, 19:59
I have a circa late 90's BM and it always has been 100% w/ many 1000's of rounds through it. Now a days I run a BCM, but I still have luv for the Bushy. For a time they had FS and staking issues. Ck both, then have fun.

FB

Noob with ARs. FS, staking issues?

Hour13
02-16-2012, 21:30

Ouch. Ranges tend to gouge for "their" ammo. Time to find an outdoor range my friend.

Lol, I usually blow a minimum of 300rds when I take the ARs to the range. No way in hell I could manage that buying ammo there! :wow:

WoodenPlank
02-16-2012, 23:20
Noob with ARs. FS, staking issues?

Front sight and properly staked gas key on the bolt carrier.

Front sights could have been installed at an angle, and if the key isn't properly secured it works loose and causes major problems.

FatBoy
02-17-2012, 04:50
Well the FS(Front sight) should be straight up at 12 O'clock, if its at 11:30/12:30 then's it's off. Here is a link w/ pics on hows your key should/shouldn't be staked.
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6993

FB

Gbannan
02-17-2012, 20:25
Do you guys recommend any type of oil/cleaning kit? Im sure everyone has there favorite, but just wondering if some are better than others.

bmoore
02-17-2012, 20:40
Do you guys recommend any type of oil/cleaning kit? Im sure everyone has there favorite, but just wondering if some are better than others.

Bore snake, Mpro7 for cleaning, Mobil 1 10w-30 for oiling the bolt. Slip 2000 EWL seems to work well too. I put a light smear of regular high temp grease on the outside rails of my bolt carrier, a very light smear. Thats how clean/lube my AR's.

JaPes
02-17-2012, 20:45

I'll use a Boresnake for a quick clean of the barrel. If I ever feel the need to do a more thorough job, I break out the Otis kit. I have an AR chamber brush to use when necessary.

I'll just good old Hoppes No. 9 to clean & CLP to lubricate.

I also highly recommend a C.A.T. M4 tool (http://catm4.com/). While it isn't necessary to get the bolt tail & the BCG clean, it does make the job quicker and easier.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/catm4-1.jpg

M1a65
02-18-2012, 01:35
Bought my Bushy during the Clinton years. No problems what so ever in 3K plus rounds, it's a 16" barrel HBAR 1/9. Never shot Wolf through it but as long as you don't mind cleaning it friends who run BM & RRA rifles say it runs just fine. I wish it had a bayonet lug but it was a bad time for gun buying when I bought it and had to make due. Never needed it thou, just an estitic thing! It was $400 cheaper than a Colt and I paid $800 for it brand new with 3 30rd mags and a hard case. Apples to apples IMHO... Absoutely no regrets!

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 09:46
The lemon rate is higher in Bushmaster than many other brands, so many people avoid them.

Apparently, you have never heard of DPMS? :whistling:

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 09:47
1. Clean and lube your AR properly.

2. Make sure your gas key is properly staked.

3. Run a D-ring on your extractor along with the black insert.

4. Change your gas rings every 3K rounds and your extractor spring every 5K rounds.

There really aren't too many manufactures making a bad AR these days. Follow these 4 simple steps and I would be willing to bet that your AR will run very well for a long time to come.

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 09:49
1. Clean and lube your AR properly.

2. Make sure your gas key is properly staked.

3. Run a D-ring on your extractor along with the black insert.

4. Change your gas rings every 3K rounds and your extractor spring every 5K rounds.

There really aren't too many manufactures making a bad AR these days.

There are some that are better than others though. I have no problem with my Bushmasters or Colts. They have all ran flawlessly. I can't say the same for the DPMS rifles that I have parted with in the past. Never again. They might as well have said Taurus on them.

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 09:51
I'll use a Boresnake for a quick clean of the barrel. If I ever feel the need to do a more thorough job, I break out the Otis kit. I have an AR chamber brush to use when necessary.

I'll just good old Hoppes No. 9 to clean & CLP to lubricate.

I also highly recommend a C.A.T. M4 tool (http://catm4.com/). While it isn't necessary to get the bolt tail & the BCG clean, it does make the job quicker and easier.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/catm4-1.jpg

This little tool works extraordinarily well. I have a few of them including in the range bag. They are a bit pricy but worth it.

WoodenPlank
02-18-2012, 10:49
Apparently, you have never heard of DPMS? :whistling:

Note I said many other brands...

Gbannan
02-19-2012, 19:00
Well cleaned up the gun tonight. Used a boresnake and lubed it up with..

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? I've been using it for a bit on my other firearms, so I figured I would give it a try on the AR.

stopatrain
02-19-2012, 21:05
Enjoy!

themiller
02-19-2012, 22:38
all good here. Have run thousands of rounds through, some days 500+ rounds over just an hour or two (lots of different shooters). No problems.

Shooter08
02-20-2012, 21:38
I have a Bushmaster and I have not had any problems out of it. I bought it new about 7 or 8 years ago and it still shoots great.

CU4X4N
02-21-2012, 00:19
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/cu4x4n/Photos/Cache/BushmasterAR15.jpg

My Bushmaster Modular has been flawless.

I've had no problems putting Wolf ammo through it, probably 6-7k in the last 5 years
Just make sure you thoroughly clean the rifle before shooting brass ammo through it.

Gbannan
05-16-2012, 12:27
Don't want this gun anymore. I want a colt. Itching to trade this in at my LGS. Wonder what its worth in a trade??

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c896-f21a-929f.jpg

Has a bunch of magpul parts. Stock,grip etc...

TxGun
05-16-2012, 13:00
LOL. "A buddy of mine has one, and....". OP...probably singing to the choir, but most people on the internet know absolutely nothing about the gun (or any other topic for that matter) in question other than what they read on the internet!. And the internet is infamous for false information. It's always going to be next to impossible to identify the few that actually do have 1st hand experience because virtually everyone implies they do. Much better to find someone you know and trust that has the experience and knowledge you seek.

bmoore
05-16-2012, 14:02
Don't want this gun anymore. I want a colt. Itching to trade this in at my LGS. Wonder what its worth in a trade??

Your always better off trying to sell it than getting trade in credit, they will beat you up pretty hard.

Matthew Courtney
05-16-2012, 14:18
I have 2 Colt's and 2 Bushmaster's. The Bushies run on anything, including steel cased ammo. The Colt's are finiky and only run on brass cased ammo. 100 days into the zombie apocalypse(it may begin on November 7, 2012, the Mayans are 6 weeks off), I may be foraging for ammo because my SG orders are still on backorder. Who knows if I have to run some steel at the zombies.

Glockdude1
05-16-2012, 14:41

If it runs good, keep it and buy a Colt.

Gbannan
05-16-2012, 14:50
If it runs good, keep it and buy a Colt.

If I had endless funds I would. As dumb as it sounds i'm hoping to get a fair trade at my LGS for a glock 17. The Colt will be in the future....I know..dumb idea, but whatever. I have no attachment to the bushy as I bought it from a friend who needed cash and I wanted an AR, just not a bushmaster.

Glockdude1
05-16-2012, 15:13
If I had endless funds I would. As dumb as it sounds i'm hoping to get a fair trade at my LGS for a glock 17. The Colt will be in the future....I know..dumb idea, but whatever. I have no attachment to the bushy as I bought it from a friend who needed cash and I wanted an AR, just not a bushmaster.

You will get more selling it to someone else, than trading it at the LGS.

CAR15Lvr
05-17-2012, 07:20
I've had a rather uncommon Bushmaster upper, called the AK-A2, basically a simple civvie length A2 carbine with the minor difference of a welded-on AK-74 style dual side vent muzzle break (bringing the barrel length to 17"). The break does further reduce the already near-nonexistent recoil of the 5.56mm, but comes at the cost of, just as with its Russian inspiration, a noticeably louder shot report and a huge muzzle flash out either side of the break. I've never had trouble with the muzzle flash personally, though when I've done night shoots with my Bushy I do vividly recall at least one guy right next to me on the firing line later tell me he kept losing his natural night vision every time my carbine went off :P

Functionally, I've only had two major problems with it: one is a more continuous problem where it doesn't have much of a tolerance for magazines with old/weak/flimsy followers - the worst I get from this is having the bolt not lock back on the last round and having to manually extract the magazine when it doesn't want to cooperate with gravity. The second problem, however: Russian steel-cased ammo. My old man's Rock River chews through 'em like a bowl of cereal; about every 3-6 rounds I'd fire from my Bushy would cause the magazine to get VERY stuck in the magwell, and the bolt/charging handle would only travel about halfway back before stopping dead altogether. It eventually gave way when enough sheer force was applied pulling the charging handle to the rear.

My advice (if it even matters/is even still on topic by this point in the thread), reliability with Russian steel-cased ammo is a crapshoot; if you get a catastrophic malfunction like I did, save your shekels for good 'ol fashioned brass. Keep your magazine followers as up-to-SPEC as you can, and mind the loud report and muzzle flash anyone happens to spring for one of these. *laughs* Save that it's otherwise a damned fine rifle, and just from my opinion, I'd highly recommend them....unless you've got the money for an RRA flat top carbine upper. In which case, spring for that instead.

fuzzy03cls
05-17-2012, 07:56
My 1st was a BM. A 20' A2 1:9 HBAR. Had a notched hammer, & BCM BCG. Ran 4K through it with zero issues. Wouldn't run wolf though.
Sold it cause I didn't like the weight & length of a 20" AR.

njl
05-19-2012, 11:03
Back in the old days of GT, Bushmaster was one of the highly recommended brands...it was basically:
Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
i.e. ABC.

I bought a Bushmaster Dissipator back during the latter part of the AWB, and other than noticing during a cleaning that the gas key on the BCG was coming loose (because they'd not properly staked it at the factory), I've had no problems with it and put several thousand rounds through it.

Then, several years back, during one of their "Tax Time Sales", I bought a 20" .gov profile upper complete with BCG. I eventually picked up a Spikes Tactical lower with tele-stock, and swapped lowers with the Dissipator. Both rifles run just fine.

The only issues I have are that the Dissipator upper shoots way left, so the rear sight had to be adjusted pretty far right to shoot straight and I reload (save my brass) and I've noticed that my case heads on factory ammo are getting "damaged". It looks like the ejector is scraping into the case head and raising a burr on it.

ddbtoth
05-19-2012, 11:15

heh--that didn't take long--
Never sell guns--you will always regret it. Save up your pennies and and get the Colt--start checking out your WalMarts--that's where I finally got mine.

FireForged
05-19-2012, 12:54
I own (2) circa 1999-2000 and never any problems at all. I have never used crap ammo and always use good mags.

Ammo

S&B
IMI
PMC
Federal
Remington

Mags

USGI 20's
USGI 30's
Pmags
H&K