Porch Lights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Porch Lights

wjv
02-15-2012, 01:36
About 2 months ago I was in Costco when I saw a package of battery powered, motion detection, LED areas lights. (Megabrite brand)

It was a two pack for $20. Each light is fairly small and runs on 3 AA batteries.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/AreaLight2.jpg

The white ball is the motion sensor and can be tilted up or down to adjust the range. Right now I have it set so that it will detect people at ~15 feet. The angle of the light head can also be adjusted 90 degrees so that it can aim anywhere between straight down or straight out.

It has a light sensor on it so it will not activated during the day.

I have had them installed for 2 months now and they are still running on the initial set of batteries. Up here in the pacific NW it gets dark early during the winter!!

When it turns on it will stay on for ~20 seconds, and then shut off. If it continues to detect motion it will turn right back on. One minor alteration I did was to take a strip of black duct tape and wrap it around the "neck" of each light so that the on/off switch is covered. That was someone can't just reach up and flip the switch off.

I mounted them about 2 feet above the door (front & back doors). They put out enough light so that you can easily see who is at the door.

Obviously lights wired into the AC are superior. But for $20 I thought I'd give them a try and have been happy with the results. I also like the fact that even during a power outage, they would keep working because they are battery powered.

I'm guessing the batteries have about one or two more month left in them. Then I'll switch over to my rechargeable sanyo eneloops.

RedHaze
02-15-2012, 01:52
Nifty idea for a power out back up. I like my porch lights to be seen from space though... :supergrin:

They'd be great for inside the garage or patio though.

Thanks for sharing...

Dirk Pitt
02-15-2012, 14:12
Just bought the same thing at Costco, but have not put them up yet. Looking forward to it now.