Cleaning AR15 Barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning AR15 Barrel

Big.40
02-15-2012, 01:45
What do you guys use? I just cleaned my gun before shooting for the first time. CLP and then rem oil. Seemed to be a pain with a rod and cutting small patches for the barrel size. I went out and bought a bore snake. Guess next time I will soak that snake with Hoppes and run it down a few times hopefully for a easy/quick clean up. What do you guys prefer or use?

Javelin
02-15-2012, 02:13
What kind of barrel is it? Chrome Lined barrels clean up easy and fast. I spend a little more time with my Noveske stainless barrels and use brass brushes, 5 different solvents, and a mixture of rare synthetic oils and Voodoo.

:rofl:

Big.40
02-15-2012, 08:21
Chrome lined

M&P15T
02-15-2012, 08:38
I use a Bore Snake. Very easy, very clean.

SigFTW
02-15-2012, 08:48
I use a Dewey coated cleaning rod and per-cut 22 patches with #9, CPL and .22 copper brush. The Dewey rod is very sturdy and does not bind as easy as a aluminum section cleaning rod.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5641/Product/COATED-RODS

M&P15T
02-15-2012, 09:06
I use a Dewey coated cleaning rod and per-cut 22 patches with #9, CPL and .22 copper brush. The Dewey rod is very sturdy and does not bind as easy as a aluminum section cleaning rod.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5641/Product/COATED-RODS

I gotta ask.......why?

What makes you feel the need to go through all of that to clean your barrel?

NateM
02-15-2012, 09:08
Maybe I'm not doing it right... But I just soak up the end (between the two brushes) of a bore snake with CLP and yank it through 3-4 times. Done deal. Then I clean up the chamber with some swabs.

smokin762
02-15-2012, 09:21
I have been using Hoppes Elite Bore Gel for about 5 years now and I love this stuff. I use it on the barrels of all my rifles and handguns.

I pour some of the Bore Gel on a brush, then I run it up and down the barrel 5 or 6 times and then I let it sit for 10 minutes and repeat.Then I run a few clean patches through the barrel and usually it comes clean after the first application.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/649/products_id/87847/Accessories/Cleaning+Supplies/Hoppes%20Bore%20Cleaning%20Gel/

Manimal
02-15-2012, 09:45
You mean no one uses Frog lube????:whistling:

slickt0mmy
02-15-2012, 10:00
I use a bore snake as well and have never had any problems with it. Plus, it takes me all of 5 seconds to do. :supergrin:

Gunnut 45/454
02-15-2012, 10:14
Same here 3 pulls with bore snake done! Chrome lined or not thats all it takes!:supergrin:

eracer
02-15-2012, 10:16
I prefer the Otis system to the bore snake. The boresnake just gets dirtier, and dirtier, and dirtier, and dirtier, and dirtier.

LibertyPatriot
02-15-2012, 10:28
Wash the dirty BoreSnake in a sink with detergent and it'll be like new again.

bmoore
02-15-2012, 10:41
Spray down the barrel with Mpro7 and pull a bore snake through 3-4 times.

M&P15T
02-15-2012, 11:30
I prefer the Otis system to the bore snake. The boresnake just gets dirtier, and dirtier, and dirtier, and dirtier, and dirtier.

You....uhhh...wash it.

I've washed mine several times, no problem.

Disregarded9-side
02-15-2012, 12:24
Hoppe's bore snake. It's quick and easy, and does a surprisingly good job.

When I start shooting NRA High Power matches or something I'll do something better.

GlockWheeler
02-15-2012, 12:29
I use a Boresnake as well.

pag23
02-15-2012, 12:35
I use the MPro7 kit from Brownells and usually CLP or Milcomm depending on what I haven't used in awhile..

Bronze brush, patch and a barrel mop work for me..... Haven't tried Bore Snake yet

BBJones
02-15-2012, 14:23
I have been using Hoppes Elite Bore Gel for about 5 years now and I love this stuff. I use it on the barrels of all my rifles and handguns.

I pour some of the Bore Gel on a brush, then I run it up and down the barrel 5 or 6 times and then I let it sit for 10 minutes and repeat.Then I run a few clean patches through the barrel and usually it comes clean after the first application.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/649/products_id/87847/Accessories/Cleaning+Supplies/Hoppes%20Bore%20Cleaning%20Gel/

Not a good practice to run a brush back and forth. Chamber to muzzle remove and repeat.

Gunnut 45/454
02-15-2012, 15:19
BBJones

Why? How would a bursh that is softer then the barrel hurt it? I frankly here alot of BS on how to clean barrels! This is definately one of them!:rofl:

M&P15T
02-15-2012, 15:49
BBJones

Why? How would a bursh that is softer then the barrel hurt it? I frankly here alot of BS on how to clean barrels! This is definately one of them!:rofl:

1. You want the debris being ejected out of the muzzle, not possibly into the upper/lower receiver.

2. Brass brushes are not meant to me pushed and pulled inside a barrel, the direction change destroys the brushes. Just make sure you push the brush all the way out, before pulling back through.

BBJones
02-15-2012, 22:17
BBJones

I think the BS is that you have to clean barrels. I wait until at least 1500 rounds in my AR's before I clean. I really only do it if accuracy falls off.

By your logic since the brush is softer than the barrel you could brush forever and no wear will ever result. Take brass brush and mount in a electric drill then spin it on your crown. See if that has any effect on accuracy. Can't hurt right?

Cole125
02-16-2012, 00:51
1. Buy pre cut .22 lr patches.

2. Hoppes #9 for cleaning. CLP for light coat afterwards.

3. Get yourself a quality cleaning rod and a few spare bore brushes.

Here is the best way to clean barrels I have found.

1. Run a solvent wetted patch through the barrel, let the solvent soak a little.

2. Now attach the bore brush with solvent on it to your cleaning rod and run it back and forth at least 5 times. Run another solvent wetted patch.

3. Run two dry patches. Run a patch lightly coated with CLP. Run one last dry patch. Done.

Big.40
02-16-2012, 02:21
Any problems with bore snakes? I have read a few posts around saying they are extremely tight fit and even read a few of getting stuck in the barrel. I wanna stay away from that issue for sure.

M&P15T
02-16-2012, 07:15
Any problems with bore snakes? I have read a few posts around saying they are extremely tight fit and even read a few of getting stuck in the barrel. I wanna stay away from that issue for sure.

Not if you use the right one for your firearm.

There may be an idiot or three out there that tried to use a 9MM Bore Snake in an AR and got it stuck, but that's to be expected.

phil evans
02-16-2012, 09:40
original hoppes with nitro benzene on bore snake, 3 times.
then very light gun butter on moving parts.

mgs
02-16-2012, 09:49
I use a Bore Snake. Very easy, very clean.

Have to admit....me too for the 16" guns. The Target AR's get the same treatment as my bolt guns.....Dewey Rod and Rem Clean, Mike.

MarkCO
02-16-2012, 11:00
Most people clean way more often than is needed, or even beneficial. Every 1,000 rounds or so, disassemble the BCG and put them in the Ultrasonic. Squirt the bore with GunSlick foaming and let sit 30 minutes. Squirt of hot water down the bore then one down the gas tube, blow both out with compressed air, one dry patch on a jag, chamber to muzzle on a coated rod. Grease BCG with Slide-Glide. Done. Takes about 5 minutes total.

LibertyPatriot
02-16-2012, 13:13
See, this is where a Glock carbine would shine. You'd never have to clean it!! ;-)

smokin762
02-17-2012, 09:15
Not a good practice to run a brush back and forth. Chamber to muzzle remove and repeat.

It hasn’t affected any firearm I own as of yet. If later, I notice premature wear on the barrel, than I guess I will know I was wrong. :winkie:

smokin762
02-17-2012, 09:32
1. Buy pre cut .22 lr patches.

2. Hoppes #9 for cleaning. CLP for light coat afterwards.

3. Get yourself a quality cleaning rod and a few spare bore brushes.

Here is the best way to clean barrels I have found.

1. Run a solvent wetted patch through the barrel, let the solvent soak a little.

2. Now attach the bore brush with solvent on it to your cleaning rod and run it back and forth at least 5 times. Run another solvent wetted patch.

3. Run two dry patches. Run a patch lightly coated with CLP. Run one last dry patch. Done.

I have been doing pretty much this same thing with all of my firearms for years. I just prefer to use Bore Gel to clean it with. I think it does a great job.