anyone running dual optics? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anyone running dual optics?

M1A Shooter
02-15-2012, 02:26
i have a buddy who is planning on putting a medium powered scope on an 18" spr but also is looking at the dueck (sp?) buis at a 45 degree offset. i mentioned to him that i would go with a mini red dot like a T1 or sparc.

ive never messed with this setup yet but even mentioning it to him has me wondering about doing the same on my next build.

i am consolidating from a basic m4gery and a r700 bolt gun to one nice AR to be a good all around gun, from HD to hunting. i am debating using a 1-4x like i am now or going to something in the 2-10x range with an offset red dot.

i was wondering if anyone here runs a setup like this on any of their rifles and what they use it for? pros and cons to the setup?

i would also appreciate pics if possible.

MrMurphy
02-15-2012, 03:40
I do not at the moment but have in the past.

A 4X ACOG/Micro setup is awesome.

A 2.5-10X/Micro offset also works very well if the primary role is long range. Otherwise, just swap mounts when necessary.

bullittmcqueen
02-15-2012, 07:38
I personally do not because i use an aimpoint for action -type shooting and a Leupold scope for long range shooting, both with Larue QD mounts which allow me to interchange.

However, I would think that the setup MrMurphy mentioned is about as ideal as you could get (the scenario I am thinking about is 3 gun with shots out to a couple hundred yards)

4X ACOG with a red dot either on a top mount or at a 45 if thats your flavor.

An alternative would be a good 1-4X optic on the flat top and a red dot on the 45.

whitebread
02-15-2012, 08:44
I run a Burris XTR-14 with an Aimpoint T1 off to the side. I use to use the Burris FastFire II, but the dot was more of a smear than a dot, and I couldn't quite get the height set correctly for a good sight picture. The Aimpoint is much quicker and works well with both eyes open. I set it up for 3-gun competitions, but just leave the red dot on the gun at all the times. Even when just shooting paper at the range for fun, I use the red dot for anything 150 yards or less.

Sorry for the poor picture, but it is all I have.

http://www.brusabass.com/blog/media/1/20120215-dual.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
02-15-2012, 09:05
Was going to, until I decided not to. A red dot reflex was good enough for me.

Airborne Infantryman
02-15-2012, 09:34
The variable power scope/T1 Micro offset package from LaRue is the way to go if primary role is long-range.

On my SPR, I run a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x on a LaRue LT-104, with an Aimpoint T1 Micro on a LaRue LT-724 offset mount. It simply is awesome.

On my medium-rang RECCE styled rifle, I run a Trijicon ACOG TA31ECOS 4x, which has the 3 MOA RMR mounted on top. Some find that the piggybacked RMR is awkward, but if you train enough with it, you can be good with it.

I'll get pics, and more in-depth info later today; I just got off a 24 hour Charge of Quarters shift, and I've been awake for 30 hours. There comes a point where energy drinks and nicotine just don't help you stay awake anymore. http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

whitebread
02-15-2012, 10:06
On my medium-rang RECCE styled rifle, I run a Trijicon ACOG TA31ECOS 4x, which has the 3 MOA RMR mounted on top. Some find that the piggybacked RMR is awkward, but if you train enough with it, you can be good with it.

I tried running piggy backed for a while - it can work quite well for a right handed, left eye dominant shooter. If you rotate the gun over as if you were shooting with a 1 o'clock optic, your left eye is pretty well aligned with the piggy-backed optic.

JTLIII
02-15-2012, 15:19
I have the Elcan specterDR and will soon be piggybacking a doc on it. But really feel the unit's 1x function is sufficient.