The Right Ammo, 45 colt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Right Ammo, 45 colt

Bernie Link
02-15-2012, 06:14
Just bought a Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre 45 Colt revolver. Am a little confused as to the right ammo for it. I'll be using it for home defense and plinking. Anyone have advice for me? Thanks, Bernie

Bilbo Bagins
02-15-2012, 06:38
I'm not familar with the gun

Home defense, you may want to look at some standard pressure Buffalo bore stuff. Its safe to shoot in most .45colt guns, just its a a tad expensive.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=7

Plinking just get the cheapest .45colt ammo you can find.

MajorD
02-15-2012, 06:45
in single action type guns designed similar to the Colt SAA, they are not built to handle plus p level loads. cci makes a blazer 200gr hollow point which would be a good choice and not too expensive either

Rumbler_G20
02-15-2012, 07:05
Just bought a Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre 45 Colt revolver. Am a little confused as to the right ammo for it. I'll be using it for home defense and plinking. Anyone have advice for me? Thanks, Bernie

Hi Bernie. I know this company and this revolver well. You did good! Uberti is primarily known for their reproduction versions of historical firearms, and they do a good job of it.

In this case, your revolver is a faithful reproduction of the Colt 1873 ARMY model.

It is perfectly capable of living happily with any modern standard pressure .45 Colt, better known as .45LC (.45 Long Colt), ammunition. The revolver won't blow up if you shoot buffalo Bore ammo, but it dang sure will "shoot loose" quickly.

As for which ammo to meet your need . . .

Plinking and home defense are two opposite ends of the spectrum in ammunition. I propose that you will be best served, and it will be most cost effective, to use two different ammunitions.

Plinking loads can be "the cheapest .45 LC you can find anywhere". This will usually be lead bullets at reduced velocities . . . and dirty (meaning you gun will be very sooty and have plenty of "carbon crap" to clean out of the revolver after your plinking sessions). I suggest looking at the "cowboy" and "cowboy action shooting" ammo.

Defensive ammo, will usually include jacketed or partially jacketed bullets, loaded to a higher velocity, and their powder charge will tend to burn much cleaner (that is not to say CLEAN).

The most important part of all of this is simply that you remember "standard pressure, or less".

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single-action-cattleman.php

Congratulations on your new revolver. I have the feeling that if you are into historical arms at all you are going to love that gun.

Bernie Link
02-15-2012, 07:45
Do you know anything about this ammo? "I use Speer Gold Dot bullets, loaded by Georgia Arms, in all of my carry weapons, as the Gold Dot opens nicely and retains a high amount of its mass in human specimens."

Zombie Steve
02-15-2012, 09:16
There's a few loads out there with 250 grain Gold Dots, including an offering from Speer.

You'll be doing yourself a huge favor by investing in some reloading gear now. Not only will you be spending less than half the price of factory ammo (more likely a third), but you'll be able to fine tune the loads for your gun.

.45 Colt is probably my favorite handgun cartridge to load. In fact, I probably have 5 different "favorite" loads for it... worse than my wife with her shoes, I know... :embarassed:

Brucev
02-15-2012, 10:23

Load up with any plain Jane JHP .45 Colt ammo and you'll be fine for HD. Winchester Silver-Tip is very good. And... if you can stand not using a JHP, any standard lead bullet load in .45 Colt will do very fine for HD or plinking. In fact, a lead semi-wadcutter of standard 250 gr. weight at the normal factory velocity will be hard to beat.

thisaway
02-15-2012, 19:15
In fact, a lead semi-wadcutter of standard 250 gr. weight at the normal factory velocity will be hard to beat.

+1 :thumbsup:

fnfalman
02-15-2012, 23:08
A nice, soft lead load will deform upon impact just fine at low velocity.

sourdough44
02-16-2012, 04:38
I'd just be using standard pressure 45 Colt ammo in that gun, & skip the Buffalo Bore stuff. That would be some of the 'cowboy action' ammo & on up to standard 45 Colt ammo. You may have to mail order to get what you want, Midwayusa should have some.

Psychman
02-16-2012, 04:52
Hornaday now carries their Critical Defense product in 45 Colt. This would work just fine in an SAA clone.

Bernie Link
02-16-2012, 06:05
Hi Bernie. I know this company and this revolver well. You did good! Uberti is primarily known for their reproduction versions of historical firearms, and they do a good job of it.

In this case, your revolver is a faithful reproduction of the Colt 1873 ARMY model.

It is perfectly capable of living happily with any modern standard pressure .45 Colt, better known as .45LC (.45 Long Colt), ammunition. The revolver won't blow up if you shoot buffalo Bore ammo, but it dang sure will "shoot loose" quickly.

As for which ammo to meet your need . . .

Plinking and home defense are two opposite ends of the spectrum in ammunition. I propose that you will be best served, and it will be most cost effective, to use two different ammunitions.

Plinking loads can be "the cheapest .45 LC you can find anywhere". This will usually be lead bullets at reduced velocities . . . and dirty (meaning you gun will be very sooty and have plenty of "carbon crap" to clean out of the revolver after your plinking sessions). I suggest looking at the "cowboy" and "cowboy action shooting" ammo.

Defensive ammo, will usually include jacketed or partially jacketed bullets, loaded to a higher velocity, and their powder charge will tend to burn much cleaner (that is not to say CLEAN).

The most important part of all of this is simply that you remember "standard pressure, or less".

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single-action-cattleman.php

Congratulations on your new revolver. I have the feeling that if you are into historical arms at all you are going to love that gun.

Thanks Rumbler! A stupid question? What is "standard pressure"? I bought a box of Winchester Cowboy Action Loads, 250 gr., lead flat nose at Walmart. Would this be considered "standard pressure"?

You're right being into historical arms is FUN!!! I sold my SR9 and Mossy 500 & bought this Uberti and a "drop dead" beautiful Stoeger SXS 20 ga., but the gun that really hooked me on historical arms is my Heritage Rough Rider 22/22mag. It's just plain fun to shoot (and I can afford to buy ammo for it).

HAMMERHEAD
02-16-2012, 11:19
Thanks Rumbler! A stupid question? What is "standard pressure"? I bought a box of Winchester Cowboy Action Loads, 250 gr., lead flat nose at Walmart. Would this be considered "standard pressure"?
Yes.
If the ammo doesn't say '+p' or that it's for certain guns (Ruger, Marlin, etc..) only, chances are it's standard pressure ammo meant to be safe in older .45 Colt guns.

With the big .452" caliber, just about any bullet will be an effective man stopper. A flat point or SWC would be better than a plain round nose.