Anybody have a Charter Arms Pit bull ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Charter Arms Pit bull ?

Scoob
02-15-2012, 06:35
I've been looking into this gun and searching a few reviews. Would like to hear some owners impressions of the gun. It's unique in that it is a revolver chambered in .40 S&W and requires no moonclips.

It seems like I remember there being a revolver forum on GT at one time but I can't find it now. :dunno:

skeeter7
02-15-2012, 12:56
I'm interested in knowing as well. I have the S&W 610 and I love the revolver but i like the idea of not having to use moonclips.

Ridgeway
02-15-2012, 15:33
I've been waiting for a 9mm version...

Looks like a very interesting concept.

Berto
02-15-2012, 18:39
9mm doesn't always work out well for revolvers, tapered case can be problematic.

Jade Falcon
02-15-2012, 20:20
When it comes out in .45 ACP, I'm turning in my S&W 642. No lock, solid side-plate, and big-bore punch with plenty of ammo options, without the need for moon-clips? Hell yes.

Scoob
02-16-2012, 01:43
Would they be able to fit 45acp in that frame? Oh well I already shoot 5 different handgun calibers which is enough lol. .40 is my favorite anyhow so it works out nicely plus I'll have a revolver that is cheaper to shoot than .357 or even .38. I'm going in search for one tomorrow so wish me luck. I think they are kind of hard to find.

Hawker Man
02-16-2012, 07:43
I shot one about two weeks ago and was not impressed. the owner had just got it back from Charter because he was having problems with the extractor. We shot some Federal 165 grain FMJ ammo, after the first two cylinders extraction became hard and after four cylinders it was very difficult. The owner then shot one cylinder of Wolf ammo and that was it, no more extraction problems, no more extraction period. The gun went home to have the cylinder soaked in oil in hopes of getting those steel cases out.
The gun is also slow to load/reload due to the spring loaded flanges on the extractor, 38 or 357 revolvers load much faster.
I am of the opinion it you want a rimless cartridge in a revolver MOON CLIPS are a very good thing. Charter tried to fix a non-existent problem.
If you decide to purchase one, I hope you have better luck with yours.

Jade Falcon
02-16-2012, 18:12
I shot one about two weeks ago and was not impressed. the owner had just got it back from Charter because he was having problems with the extractor. We shot some Federal 165 grain FMJ ammo, after the first two cylinders extraction became hard and after four cylinders it was very difficult. The owner then shot one cylinder of Wolf ammo and that was it, no more extraction problems, no more extraction period. The gun went home to have the cylinder soaked in oil in hopes of getting those steel cases out.
The gun is also slow to load/reload due to the spring loaded flanges on the extractor, 38 or 357 revolvers load much faster.
I am of the opinion it you want a rimless cartridge in a revolver MOON CLIPS are a very good thing. Charter tried to fix a non-existent problem.
If you decide to purchase one, I hope you have better luck with yours.

I think it's important to remember that these guns are of the "Carry alot, Shoot little" variety. The .40 S&W is a high-pressure cartridge; I'm not suprised a couple of casings got stuck in the cylinder.

.45 ACP shouldn't have much of a problem, since it's a lower-pressure cartridge. I eagerly await range-reports and reviews of this gun in that caliber in the Gun Magazines.

Snaps
03-13-2012, 22:51
I've gotta bump this from the dead cause I'm thinking about buying one, also if the 9mm version comes out that's a pretty interesting idea as well