Which triggers do yall prefer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which triggers do yall prefer?

TJarv
02-15-2012, 09:46
I went out and shot the new AR on Sunday and wasn't pleased with the trigger pull. After getting home I checked it and found I have an 8 lb trigger pull.

After a little research I'm leaning towards a Timney drop in, but I'm up for any other suggestions.

Sent from my pay phone.

eracer
02-15-2012, 09:53
Ranked in order. I have them all:

Wilson Combat TTU (http://www.wilsontacticaltraining.com/?p=298) drop-in (Not adjustable. Defines 4 lb. 'glass break. Most expensive of the group, but an AWESOME trigger.)

Alexander Arms Tactical Trigger (Very thin trigger. Great for gloves. Adjustable for take-up and over-travel. Very fast when adjusted properly. I have two of these. I really like them.)

Geissele SSA (Not adjustable. Crisp, but not as crisp as the other two.)

I have a Geissele S3G that I haven't installed yet. Reviews are very positive. Supposed to have the best 'reset' of any single-stage trigger on the market.

The Wilson Combat trigger has been torture tested by others, and has held up well - something that is often a criticism of drop-in triggers.

Geissele makes triggers that are equal to the OEM triggers in terms of reliability, which is a big selling point.

The Alexander Arms trigger is an excellent trigger, but the adjustability scares some folks. (And rightly so if you need the most reliability. If most of what you do is range work, the AA trigger is a great 'lower' cost alternative.

TJarv
02-15-2012, 10:26
Eracer does the purpose of the gun change which trigger you would use?

For example I've built my rifle for more of a target gun. Would you use a different trigger for a longer range rifle than you would a hd rifle?

Sent from my pay phone.

Boxerglocker
02-15-2012, 10:36
I have a tried many of the ones mentioned above but for my needs own a Geissele SD-C and SSA.

eracer
02-15-2012, 11:04
Eracer does the purpose of the gun change which trigger you would use?

For example I've built my rifle for more of a target gun. Would you use a different trigger for a longer range rifle than you would a hd rifle?

Sent from my pay phone.For a target rifle your best bet is a two-stage trigger. The purpose of a two-stage trigger is to meet restrictions of trigger 'pull weight' in matches. A single-stage trigger has one 'pull weight' and while single-stage triggers can be set to a very low weight, they are then useless for anything else.

A two-stage trigger will have a certain pull weight in the first stage, then a lower pull weight in the second stage. The 'pull weight' is measured as the sum of the two stages, so you get the benefit of a very light second (final) stage pull, while also having the benefit of a total pull weight in the 'safety' zone.

Guns that are used STRICTLY for long-range precision shooting often have single-stage triggers with pull weight measured under 1 lb. This is not a gun you want for HD, obviously. It's hard to make a single-stage trigger in the 4 lb. range that breaks really cleanly. The Wilson trigger does. And the Alexander Arms does as well (although its pull weight is a little higher.)

The Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger (http://geissele.com/hi-speedmatchrifletrigger.aspx) is an awesome two-stage adjustable trigger that a lot of target competitions have been won with.

Hope that all makes sense.

The Geissele SSA (http://geissele.com/supersemi-automaticssatrigger.aspx) seems to be the de facto standard 'best' trigger for something 'in between' a pure target and OEM trigger. They have the SSA-E (Enhanced) version that looks good.

Bottom line - if I was looking for a good trigger for 70% target shooting I'd pony up for either the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match, or the Wilson Combat TTU (2-stage.)

mgs
02-15-2012, 12:09
(3) Rock River two stages have worked well for me, Mike.

eracer
02-15-2012, 12:16
(3) Rock River two stages have worked well for me, Mike.RRA triggers suffer from the same internet anecdotal bashing that Kahr pistols do (I love my Kahr PM-45.)

MrMurphy
02-15-2012, 12:36
Actually anecdotal is what you make of it.

I've seen an RRA trigger turn into a full auto. And I've personally had a Kahr go unreliable on me.

Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger i'll put on a rifle intended for any serious purposes in the AR world.

bullittmcqueen
02-15-2012, 12:43

I've seen an RRA trigger turn into a full auto. And I've personally had a Kahr go unreliable on me.

Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger i'll put on a rifle intended for any serious purposes in the AR world.

Agreed 100%.

pag23
02-15-2012, 12:48
I am debating on getting the Geissele SSA.... There have been numerous posts on the reliability and quality of their products.. They are also about 45 mins away from me..

KARTMAN90
02-15-2012, 12:50
No problems with my RRA two stage trigger. I love it. That thing is sweet but that's just what I think

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Boxerglocker
02-15-2012, 14:01
I am debating on getting the Geissele SSA.... There have been numerous posts on the reliability and quality of their products.. They are also about 45 mins away from me..

Honestly, once you try on on your own rifle... the $200 will seem like chump change. Geissele triggers are well worth the cost.

jrs93accord
02-15-2012, 14:35
I have one AR15 (Mk12 Mod 0) that I use a LMT 2-stage trigger in. The rest of my ARs use the standard triggers. I have never had an issue with any of them. They are combat-type rifles and the triggers are just fine for that usage. However, there are some that need that dainty light trigger pull on their HD AR15. When I was in the service, I was handed a M16A1 and was told to qualify with it. We shot targets out to 500 yards with what the rifle came with from the factory. They worked very well for us. We did not need 2-stage or Match triggers. Unless you are shooting a Sniper System, you really do not need any fancy lightweight triggers. In the same token, to each his own.

eracer
02-15-2012, 15:40

Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger i'll put on a rifle intended for any serious purposes in the AR world.The only argument I'd make is that the Wilson Combat TTU is just as reliable as a Geissele (according to the tester who put 70,000 rounds through one.)Trust me, I'm a Geissele fan (I have three of them.) But not everyone needs a combat-ready trigger. The AR-15 works just fine as a paper-puncher. And I would count on the Wilson for my SHTF gun.

Disregarded9-side
02-15-2012, 16:24
The Geissele 2-stage DMR trigger I installed was the perfect AR trigger.

And cost half a much as a gun.

tinman517
02-15-2012, 16:42
For the past 2 years, all I use now are Geissele trigger groups on my ARs. I am sure that the others work just as well.

chrisf608
02-15-2012, 20:20
RRA two stage. Mine has been perfect.

skeeter1959
02-15-2012, 22:07
Timney 3lb. $209 installed.

jem375
02-15-2012, 22:44
For me, it is the McCormick and on the way....

surf
02-15-2012, 23:56
For myself, I own several really nice triggers including a Geissele SSA, SDC and a S3G. In reality I run a USGI trigger just as well for much much less in cost. Seems like in this push button, instant gratification day in age most are looking at the hardware for the solution to a problem, as opposed to focusing on the software.

That should ruffle a few feathers. :tongueout:

M1A Shooter
02-16-2012, 00:15
ive had two factory stag triggers and a DPMS standard lpk trigger. all reminded me of exactly what i shot in the military and were ok for their purposes.

a buddy of mine is doing a DMR build and installed a Giselle SSA-E and its freaking awesome. its as good as the trigger on my R700 and set right about 3-4lbs or so based on comparison to my glock with a 3.5 ghost rocket installed.

im really debating a SSA for my Recce type build.

Cole125
02-16-2012, 00:32
I went out and shot the new AR on Sunday and wasn't pleased with the trigger pull. After getting home I checked it and found I have an 8 lb trigger pull.

After a little research I'm leaning towards a Timney drop in, but I'm up for any other suggestions.

Sent from my pay phone.

I have a Timney trigger in my AR, and it is very nice. Quality piece, trigger pull is a hair under 3 lbs, well worth the money. if you have anymore questions about the Timney trigger for ARs feel free to ask.

MrMurphy
02-16-2012, 04:16
The Geissele's the only aftermarket trigger Special Forces authorizes.

Wilson may know something about 1911s, but they don't do squat with ARs that impresses me.

eracer
02-16-2012, 07:07
For myself, I own several really nice triggers including a Geissele SSA, SDC and a S3G. In reality I run a USGI trigger just as well for much much less in cost. Seems like in this push button, instant gratification day in age most are looking at the hardware for the solution to a problem, as opposed to focusing on the software.

That should ruffle a few feathers. :tongueout:No ruffles, but I see it this way:

Why should I go around the track in a car set up with understeer and squealing tires, when for a little bit of money I can get better handling and get round just as reliably?

For me it's simple. Crunchy, creepy triggers are an annoyance - and they are less conducive to skillful shooting. I'm sure Michael Schumacher could drive my truck around a track faster than I could drive an Acura TL. I'm not Michael Schumacher.

pag23
02-16-2012, 07:27

:rofl::rofl:

sooo true.. but I would upgrade on a better product in terms of reliability and function

boomhower
02-16-2012, 07:50
I love my SSA. All my future rifles will wear one.

MarkCO
02-16-2012, 10:50
The Geissele's the only aftermarket trigger Special Forces authorizes.

Do you have a citation for that? Was not aware that "Special Forces" was any other than a catch-all for several types of units. I know of several SF guys that run triggers other than the Geissele's.

BBJones
02-16-2012, 13:05
Do you have a citation for that? Was not aware that "Special Forces" was any other than a catch-all for several types of units. I know of several SF guys that run triggers other than the Geissele's.

What branches and what triggers? Not arguing, just curious.

humanguerrilla
02-16-2012, 13:17
jp singlestage.

My larue predatar came with a geissele and it is by far the best two stage i've shot.

MarkCO
02-16-2012, 13:20
What branches and what triggers? Not arguing, just curious.

Take a look at this page (http://www.jprifles.com/3.2.php) There's more than just one on there. JP has at least one military contract that I know of...

I was at John Shaw's place when a whole crate of JP rifles, with JP triggers showed up, he seems to like them. I understand that in itself is not an endorsement, nor does it impart "policy", but they are but one brand that is in use by some that are SF.

surf
02-17-2012, 01:20
No ruffles, but I see it this way:

Why should I go around the track in a car set up with understeer and squealing tires, when for a little bit of money I can get better handling and get round just as reliably?People spend about $800 - $1K on a base rifle and then invest about $200 on say a Geissele trigger. That is about 20-25% cost of the actual rifle. IMO that is not what I consider a little bit of money. Maybe $200 is pocket change to some and I am happy for them.

For me it's simple. Crunchy, creepy triggers are an annoyance - and they are less conducive to skillful shooting. I'm sure Michael Schumacher could drive my truck around a track faster than I could drive an Acura TL. I'm not Michael Schumacher.I disagree. I think that a poor trigger can ultimately make a better shooter. I see this all the time, in even training intermediate to even advanced shooters. Take someone who has mastered fundamentals on a poor trigger and they can shoot just about anything well. Then take a shooter who only knows a really great trigger, give them a USGI and watch what happens. You will truly see their mastery or lack of mastery of fundamentals. Of course this is not black and white across the board, but it is overwhelmingly the case. IMO too many people do themselves a huge disservice in their learning progression by going too quickly to a slick trigger.

I know your not Michael Schumacher which goes back to my comment that people attempt to fix the weapon, when it is often times the shooter that needs the fixin. In other words we really should look at upgrading the software (the shooter) instead of upgrading the hardware (the weapon). Having said that I really don't have a problem with how people spend their money. I do have an issue in that, as I often see it to be the case in these types of threads that too many people suggest a band aid type of fix (trigger) instead of suggesting work being put into the shooter.

I will also add that there is a reason that many shooters can run a USGI type trigger in many situations just as well as a slick trigger. As an example I can run a standard USGI type trigger just as well or arguably better than I can run my Geissele S3G. Many other shooters are easily capable of doing this also. So IMO it really doesn't help with "skillful" shooting. True skill can be managed with a USGI. The skill is in the shooter and not in the trigger. A more correct statement might be, a really good trigger might help someone suck less. :)

pag23
02-17-2012, 09:02
:goodpost: Great comments and perspective.

NEOH212
02-18-2012, 10:44
Bone stock on all my AR's except my Bushmaster Predator which is used for a DMR roll. It sports a Geissele trigger.

DirectDrive
02-18-2012, 10:47
I am debating on getting the Geissele SSA.... There have been numerous posts on the high reliability and high quality of their products.. They are also about 45 mins away from me..
Fixed.

DirectDrive
02-18-2012, 11:05
....people attempt to fix the weapon, when it is often times the shooter that needs the fixin. In other words we really should look at upgrading the software (the shooter) instead of upgrading the hardware (the weapon).
Great comments, Surf.

I like to fish and this phenomenon reminds me of that new guy that wants to go into the tackle store and "buy success".
Same mindset.

When I scratch-built my present AR I was swayed by the reports of above average USGI triggers coming with the Daniel Defense LPK's.
I threw down the extra $20 or so for a DD LPK and lo and behold, they were right.
I have a very, very nice trigger.

GSSF17
02-18-2012, 11:32

Absolutely. I usually clean up the contact points on a standard GI trigger with a fine stone and/or cloth, and put in the 'yellow' JP enterprises springs. Awesome results.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7582/Product/AR-15-REDUCED-POWER-SPRING-KIT

faawrenchbndr
02-18-2012, 12:03
My 5.56 has a Timney skeleton trigger, love it.
My AR10 has a Jard trigger, awesome!

The next trigger I buy WILL be a Geissele.

TJarv
02-18-2012, 14:04
Great comments, Surf.

I like to fish and this phenomenon reminds me of that new guy that wants to go into the tackle store and "buy success".
Same mindset.

I'm not trying to buy success.

I find it somewhat of a hassle to get a decent group at 300 yards with the current 8 lb trigger installed.

Sent from my pay phone.

surf
02-18-2012, 14:44
I'm not trying to buy success.

I find it somewhat of a hassle to get a decent group at 300 yards with the current 8 lb trigger installed.Just no note I was not attempting to bust anyone's balls here but most want to buy skill, which is not going to happen. Not talking about you, but just as a generalization from the direction where these trigger type threads usually head.

In reality for a long range precision target rifle I would first want to know about your optic and your experience level. There is absolutely no doubt that with a magnified optic for high levels of precision at longer distances a very nice trigger is a key component. Now if your using a red dot, iron sight or similar at 300 yards or even 500 yards, the limiting factor is not so much the trigger but rather the shooters skills, the magnification, the rifles inherent accuracy and even the load fired.

Having said that, if money is no big deal, for precision rifle build I very much like my Geissele SDC trigger. The S3G is not the correct trigger for a precision rifle IMO. Now if you want something in between that does both roles well then look into the SSA.

TJarv
02-18-2012, 16:12
The scope I'm running now is a 4-12, but I will soon be getting a 6-24

Sent from my pay phone.

Reb 56
02-19-2012, 11:33
Would anyone be satisfied with an heavy 7 or 8lb trigger on a hunting Rifle ? So why would he be content with the GI trigger on an AR. I used the GI trigger on my M4 for about a year, then I put in a RRA 2 stage in and it made a big difference in my accuracy.

MaximaDrvr
02-19-2012, 19:26
I use a Timney 4lb skeletonized in my AR.
I love it.
I don't have any experience with other aftermarket triggers

jem375
02-19-2012, 21:49
I just put in a McCormick drop in trigger in my AR and measured the trigger and it came out at 3 LBS....

eracer
02-20-2012, 14:06
AR-15 with crunchy, heavy stock trigger and iron sights = running in Vietnam War era jungle boots.

AR-15 with smooth, light trigger and an optic designed for the task = running in a nice pair of comfortable, supportive running shoes.

I can miss a target with poor fundamentals whether I'm using a crappy trigger or a really nice trigger. Why fight a trigger that makes it much more difficult to shoot in a fundamentally sound manner?

There are only two reasons to own a stock trigger:

1. You can't or don't want to pay for a good one.
2. You are stuck on the idea that an upgraded trigger can't possibly be as reliable.

TJarv
02-20-2012, 15:07
AR-15 with crunchy, heavy stock trigger and iron sights = running in Vietnam War era jungle boots.

AR-15 with smooth, light trigger and an optic designed for the task = running in a nice pair of comfortable, supportive running shoes.

I can miss a target with poor fundamentals whether I'm using a crappy trigger or a really nice trigger. Why fight a trigger that makes it much more difficult to shoot in a fundamentally sound manner?

2. You are stuck on the idea that an upgraded trigger can't possibly be as reliable.

Nicely put

Sent from my pay phone.

surf
02-20-2012, 16:53
The scope I'm running now is a 4-12, but I will soon be getting a 6-24

Sent from my pay phone.For a high magnification, precision rifle where the shooter is capable of very good accuracy and precision a great trigger is invaluable. I mentioned above what I feel is the correct Geissele triggers for various uses.

Would anyone be satisfied with an heavy 7 or 8lb trigger on a hunting Rifle ? So why would he be content with the GI trigger on an AR. I used the GI trigger on my M4 for about a year, then I put in a RRA 2 stage in and it made a big difference in my accuracy.I hunt wild pigs with a USGI set up without issues.

2. You are stuck on the idea that an upgraded trigger can't possibly be as reliable.It is obvious that you do not see the benefits that a shooter can gain from learning to master a stock trigger. A difficult trigger makes a person intensely focus on all of the fundamentals as a complete package and to rigidly maintain them throughout a more difficult trigger pull that more easily disrupts the application of the fundamentals. I do this all the time professionally with intermediate to even advanced shooters. I often strip them of optics, take them back to irons and use a USGI type trigger and take them through a proper learning progression of the correct and proper application of the basic fundamentals. They break through boundaries and achieve levels of skill that they thought not possible for themselves. Most people don't wish to put the effort into becoming a truly great shooter. They are more satisfied with instant improvements in their results. However they are not usually achieving their higher levels of skill in their own potential. If your out for recreational fun, no problem. But if someone is truly intent on becoming a great shooter there are better ways of progressing skill sets that create better results. Which is always why I would ask about a shooters equipment, skill levels and their own goals and desires when it comes to shooting. Most just give the standard "Get a Geissele trigger" answer and IMO that is damaging depending on a shooters goals.

As for running shoes, if the guy who learned to run in Vietnam era boots can keep pace with or even outrun the guy in the running shoes, what do you think is going to happen when the guy in the boots puts on nice running shoes? :)

bolling
02-21-2012, 18:30

Sent from my pay phone.

I have the Timney, got it on sale for $189. It is a great trigger, I love it. I have also used the RRA and it is a nice trigger but not near as nice as the Timney. The Timney has virtually no take up thus very short reset and very crisp.

MarkCO
02-21-2012, 21:46
As for running shoes, if the guy who learned to run in Vietnam era boots can keep pace with or even outrun the guy in the running shoes, what do you think is going to happen when the guy in the boots puts on nice running shoes? :)

He'll roll his ankle or blow out his knee...:rofl: