Doomsday prepper shoots off thumb [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday prepper shoots off thumb

ICARRY2
02-15-2012, 14:31
Anyone see the doomsday preppers show last night where the guy from Arizona shot off his thumb?

A good rule of thumb is to keep your keep your thumb away from the barrel of your gun.

banger
02-15-2012, 14:44
I saw him during an interview with FOX News.

Seems like a likable guy.

What I liked is that he made no attempt at a flimsy excuse, simply admitted the mistake, and vowed, "never to do that again".

cowboy1964
02-15-2012, 14:45
Argh, forgot to DVR it. Hope it's on again soon.

ICARRY2
02-15-2012, 14:53
I still dont understand why people go on tv and tell the whole country how much good stuff they have stockpiled.

People need to learn one of the most important rules of surviving teotwawki/shtf is to keep your mouth shut, keep a low profile and blend in with everyone else around you.

SixkillerEnterprises
02-15-2012, 15:04
You can't survive in the post apocalypse if you don't make it to doomsday, guy.

John Rambo
02-15-2012, 15:24
So, the show has had what...3 episodes or something? And 1 guy is ruled looney and lost his guns, and another shot his finger off?

Well...okay, then.

.50 cal
02-15-2012, 16:02
I saw the episode and I am still not sure how you can shoot your thumb with a long gun, his shovel tool/weapon invention did look interesting however

SGT HATRED
02-15-2012, 16:16
Just watching this episode now... Those pics were gnarly. Poor guy. And ya that Koval? Looked bad ass!

coleslaw
02-15-2012, 17:21
I still dont understand why people go on tv and tell the whole country how much good stuff they have stockpiled.

People need to learn one of the most important rules of surviving teotwawki/shtf is to keep your mouth shut, keep a low profile and blend in with everyone else around you.

I agree with you. But N.G. is probably paying these people and that money is probably helping these preppers... prep. The common theme that I see in between all these preppers is that there "gear" looks expensive. For example that 20 year old girl in Houston and that firefighter in New York. I'm sure they could afford bigger places if they didn't prep. But then they wouldn't be preppers would they.

coleslaw
02-15-2012, 17:36
I might get RIPPED for this question but why do you need 3 years worth of food stored up? The way I see it is, if the "S" hits the fan THAT bad that you need to be underground and you actually need every bit of that 3 years of food then how do you expect things to be after that?

I'm not articualting this in the best way but all I'm trying to say is in a situation in that is that bad (situations presented in this show) then how long do you really plan on living after a EOTWAWKI situation, and what is the plan after the prep runs out? But I'm not a prepper, I just have a 3 day bag, bug out plan and some ammo and energy bars. Maybe I need to expand my awareness.

ICARRY2
02-15-2012, 19:27
I agree with you. But N.G. is probably paying these people and that money is probably helping these preppers... prep. The common theme that I see in between all these preppers is that there "gear" looks expensive. For example that 20 year old girl in Houston and that firefighter in New York. I'm sure they could afford bigger places if they didn't prep. But then they wouldn't be preppers would they.

I agree with you that they are being paid. But, how much? Is the amount worth the risk of having all of your stuff stolen from being on national tv? How much money do they already have invested, compared to what they earn from NG?

Some of these people have tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear and then tens of thousands of dollars worth of guns/ammo.

I would like to know how much they are being paid for appearing on NG.

USMCSergeant
02-15-2012, 21:18
I might get RIPPED for this question but why do you need 3 years worth of food stored up? The way I see it is, if the "S" hits the fan THAT bad that you need to be underground and you actually need every bit of that 3 years of food then how do you expect things to be after that?

I'm not articualting this in the best way but all I'm trying to say is in a situation in that is that bad (situations presented in this show) then how long do you really plan on living after a EOTWAWKI situation, and what is the plan after the prep runs out? But I'm not a prepper, I just have a 3 day bag, bug out plan and some ammo and energy bars. Maybe I need to expand my awareness.

Most non preppers it seems that during a SHTF experience, plan to scavenge for food or water, or to possibly take it from people that have it, when their own short supplies run out. Preppers plan to live through any disaster, regardless of how bad it may be, by depending on no one but themselves. 3 years worth of food is a metric TON of food, alot of times there's no room to store any additional. I don't have a problem with people storing as much food as they possibly can, there's nothing wrong with being as prepared as possible.

jtull7
02-15-2012, 21:30
I hate to tell you, But Doomsday Preppers is making a joke out of all preppers/survivalists.

JDMitchell
02-15-2012, 21:41
I loved how he said the rifle "misfired". Nope bud you just forgot one of the four fundamentals of weapons safety.

The worst part is that the best prepper's would never even consider going on camera with their stockpiles of weapons and violate OPSEC. So that leaves "those people".

Linh40
02-15-2012, 23:11
So we got:

1 got his firearms confiscated
1 had his rifle "misfire"

I wonder what's next?

codecowboy
02-15-2012, 23:31
The show is fun to watch and every once in a while I pick up a nugget of information it still violates Rule #1 & #2

Rule #1 Never talk about Prep Club.
Rule #2 NEVER TALK ABOUT PREP CLUB!!!!

Glock,Nevada
02-16-2012, 01:56
Lol yeah I too laughed when he said the gun "malfunctioned"...seems like it worked just fine? :D

I do like watching to see how these people are prepping based on how they think things are going to go down. Its interesting to see how many think they'll be fine without guns or how many have all these supplies in their homes...but no fortifications. Its also amazing how many people buy all this stuff/gear without putting it all on and thinking they're going to hike it out.

I don't know if the show necessarily makes them look crazy because they are self reliant and I see that as good. It does make them seem like they have irrational fears because at the end it always says how unlikely the odds are that the event would happen. Unfortunately I think the show does a disservice to the public by doing this because it keeps people in a state of unreadiness. Israel is a strong country and people because everyone has to serve 2 years in the military. They're all trained in combat, weapons and survival which is a huge benefit imo.

My girlfriend and I are just starting to get some things together. We started with a couple of handguns and our ccw permits. We are already deciding on our next weapons. I'm looking at a mossberg 590. We'll be adding some knives too. Presently we live in an apartment so we'll have to be more mobile. I'm looking at some Eberlestock backpacks. Thanks to all of you here I also have a list off things to fill em with as well. I know we have a lot to get since we are starting from scratch...but at least the information you guys provide help me from making many of the common mistakes. Thanks again ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

kirgi08
02-16-2012, 09:20

I'm not articualating this in the best way but all I'm trying to say is in a situation in that is that bad (situations presented in this show) then how long do you really plan on living after a EOTWAWKI situation, and what is the plan after the prep runs out? But I'm not a prepper, I just have a 3 day bag, bug out plan and some ammo and energy bars. Maybe I need to expand my awareness.

We have more than 3yrs of stuff.The nature of preppers is ta survive and be able ta help rebuild their communities after the event is over.This will depend on the type of event that happens and the length of it.

I hate to tell you, But Doomsday Preppers is making a joke out of all preppers/survivalists.

It's really looking that way John.'08.

DoctaGlockta
02-16-2012, 10:23

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win" - Mahatma Gandhi

Looks like we are in the 'ridicule you' stage.

TangoFoxtrot
02-16-2012, 10:30

You took the words right out of my mouth. These chuckleheads have no idea whats going to slam them if something happens. Everybody and their brother who knows them is going to bombard their location.:upeyes: That is why I can't take them serious.

TangoFoxtrot
02-16-2012, 10:32

Yep!:whistling:

coleslaw
02-16-2012, 11:00

I agree, but some of these people seem like good "salt of the earth" kind of people so I don't think they are jokers but it's AMAZING what the editing department can do. Hell a good editor can make Kim Kardiashian seem like Princess Diana. Lol.

RetailNinjitsu
02-16-2012, 11:17

This. The show is an obvious and intentional mockery of people who like to be prepared.

I wish they had picked people who are more articulate and much less looney. I guess that isn't good for ratings. :dunno:

TN.Frank
02-16-2012, 16:13

I think a lot depends on where you live at. Here in the Rural South folks will pull together in a Months time or less and we'll have some sense of "normal", in a big city with gangs and thousands of hungry folks it'll be wide spread chaos for months until enough die off so that what food/water is there will support the survivors.
I figure a Months worth of Food/Water should be enough to allow most folks to make it through the first part of the hard times and form groups to scavenge stuff to survive for the rest of the period. JMHO, YMMV.

racerford
02-17-2012, 00:01

It seems like a lot. However, unless they are already growing their own food, some would need enough food to get through a whole growing season maybe more. Also 3 years of food for 2 is 1 year for 6 or .5 years for 12. What if friends or family show up that they decide not to turn away. Then 3 years for 2 is not that much.

Given the money and space, I would rather have 3 years of food and get through the crisis with a 2.9 years of food left, than to end up one month short of what I needed and dead. :shocked:

45reloader
02-17-2012, 04:37

After 3 years all the zombies are gone. and the U.S. population is no longer 300 million but more like 40 million people. Then you start to rebuild the nation with hard working like minded people.

Contact
03-08-2012, 10:06
So we got:

I wonder what's next?

Well, I'll tell you.

1 said she was going to kill her cat if she had to bug out, not let it go, not take it with her, kill it...for no apparent reason.

1 was proud of the fact that she would be the only one left who had 100lbs to lose.

1 Gave his kid jerky made from his umbilical cord as a symbol of becoming a man. :puking:

1 shot his house made of metal shipping containers with a .22lr to determine that it was bulletproof and thus impenetrable. :upeyes:

I have learned a little bit from some of these people, but truth be told, I reallly hope I don't ever have to rely on any of them.

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 11:22
yeah a prepper saving seeds,well wonder how long it takes to grow the food after a doomsday?How long can he survive waiting for it to grow?Its just another stupid non fictional show to hype the public into spending money on crap they cant afford,think they should figure out how to get a President in office that can support health care for all us citizens regardless!!!Build a growing job demand,Put a stop to oil cost,Inflation ect instead of the world is gonna end. The Myans ran out of stone to work on thats why there is no more calendar days after that took place,The world sure is a strange creature.

kirgi08
03-08-2012, 11:34
yeah a prepper saving seeds,well wonder how long it takes to grow the food after a doomsday?How long can he survive waiting for it to grow?Its just another stupid non fictional show to hype the public into spending money on crap they cant afford,think they should figure out how to get a President in office that can support health care for all us citizens regardless!!!Build a growing job demand,Put a stop to oil cost,Inflation ect instead of the world is gonna end. The Mayans ran out of stone to work on that's why there is no more calendar days after that took place,The world sure is a strange creature.

We have 5yrs worth at home,I'm pretty sure we can wait for a garden ta mature.This doesn't count the bol.'08.

RMTactical
03-10-2012, 01:35
So we got:

I wonder what's next?

These guys are obviously the best and the brightest.

MoneyMaker
03-10-2012, 04:55
Shot his thumb off cause he didnt have his kevlar gloves on,bwahahahahaha

FL Airedale
03-10-2012, 06:22
Fortunately for me, I made that mistake with a BB gun when I was a kid. I still have the scar AND my thumb. It made me think a lot more about the firearm safety lessons my dad and grandpa taught me. Even as a 12 year old, I knew that if I'd done that with a real gun, I'd be missing a digit.

Paul53
03-10-2012, 20:23
I saw him during an interview with FOX News.

Seems like a likable guy.

What I liked is that he made no attempt at a flimsy excuse, simply admitted the mistake, and vowed, "never to do that again".

At worst, he could only shoot off one more thumb!

.50 cal
03-10-2012, 22:25
He still has a stub for a thumb if I remember correctly, I believe he can still grasp things with limited use

cowboy1964
03-10-2012, 23:00
What was it he said at the time? "The gun misfired" or something. Riiiight. And just when his hand was in front of the muzzle too. Bad luck that.

kirgi08
03-10-2012, 23:19
There are NO ADs,they be NDs.'08.