12 volt lighting for power outages @ home [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt lighting for power outages @ home

cowboy1964
02-15-2012, 14:57
What do y'all like in the way of 12V battery lighting "systems"?

Akita
02-17-2012, 10:58
I just changed out all the 12v incandescents(car taillight style) in my RV to LEDS. Pricey, but they suck practially no juice and give off no heat.

I am seriously considering wiring my next house for LEDs. Pay once and be done with it.

RED64CJ5
02-17-2012, 11:45
I am seriously considering wiring my next house for LEDs. Pay once and be done with it.

I gave this serious consideration when we built 3 years ago. Unfortunately they LED's just don't throw enough light. The TCO analysis for incandescent vs LED surprisingly favored the incandescent. I have the ability to run 12V lighting very easily in the event we needed it, but it's not necessary. If we'd gone with LED, we'd been living more in a cave-like atmosphere. CFL were out of the question.

12V lighting is appropriate for some settings. I use it at my horse barn. It is 100% solar powered with a battery. There is no inverter. Everything from the fans to the lights runs on 12V.

Akita
02-17-2012, 20:24
You definately have to gang 'em up. But its just a matter of adding lumens until you have the light that you like. An added benefit is that there is a very wide range of white colors in LEDs and you can find what your eyes like best or even adujst the 'temperature' of the light to the use of that particular area. (reading, cooking, TV, pool/sports areas etc)

Definately costs more up front to do it right 4 sure but I am the kind of guy that likes to pay once and pretty much forget about it.