Buffer Blooper!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Blooper!!!!!!!!

country85
02-15-2012, 17:09
So I had something happen to me today at the range that I have never heard of and none of the people there had ever seen either.. I was double checking the zero of my AR, 5 rounds here, 3 there, but on my last 5 round sequence, I got 2 rounds off but when i went for the third, nothing, at the time I thought the gun had not cycled and jamed, so i racked the bolt open and a live round falls out, no jam what so ever, so I loaded again same thing, fire cycle but hammer was not cocked.... So I broke it open and this is what i found.....

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa347/Robert_Harwood/IMG_20120215_155754.jpg

The center of the buffer had pushed out and the weights were in the bolt carrier, figured out the reason the hammer wouldn't cock back is from a piece of plastic that was between the weights had wedged the disconnect. Just was wondering if any one else has ever had this happen, I don't know the brand of buffer as it was given too me brand new, I don't thing this buffer had 100 rounds on it.... If it helps it was in a carbine......

Breadman03
02-15-2012, 18:45
Former grunt here, so I had a good bit of trigger time. I never saw that happen. I did see a machine gun spit out its feed pawls, though.

Unistat
02-15-2012, 19:40
That's a little weird, but I guess anything that's made can be "un-made." Good thing they are pretty inepensive.

Any visible damage to the rest of the rifle?

country85
02-15-2012, 20:10
lol @ breadman, Unistat I found what looks like the exact same buffer on ebay<go figure lol, can't decide if I'm going to buy one good one or a dozen cheapies lol :D

Rest of the rifle was fine thank God, I was scared as I had fired 2 rounds before I realized that it wasn't a simple jam, and all three weights were in the BCG when i popped the rifle open lol

Gunnut 45/454
02-15-2012, 21:44
So the buffer front plate seperated-cracked away? Wow thats bad. So you don't know who made it? I'd say a little over machining- to thin front plate.:whistling:

Contact
02-15-2012, 23:08
What kind of Rifle is this?

Cole125
02-16-2012, 00:42
That's crazy, makes me want to order a spare buffer now. :alex:

I am betting the buffer the original poster had was made by either UTG, Tapco, or DPMS.

Unistat
02-16-2012, 02:25
You know, a little JB Weld or Super-Glue could probably put all that back together.

/JK

glockenturm
02-16-2012, 03:04
I'm more curious about barrel length, gas tube length and ammo type.

Need a shift back to 20". Eugene Stoner knew what he was doing. If Eugene Stoner didn't design it that way, you shouldn't be doing it that way.

Ooopssss.......sorry...thought I was in the 1911 section.......

country85
02-16-2012, 10:12
The rifle is a Palmetto State lower built by me, no clue who made the upper, it has no markings what so ever, I just know that it is a ban era upper, as the barrel has a press on flash hidder, I was told it was a rock river and the bolt looks like a rock river but no clue, the buffer and tube are also no name, probaly ebay specials.. gun has 16 inch barrel with carbine length gas tube and all I have shot out of this rifle is Tula ammo 55 gr, (yes yes I know, but it's cheap and this gun loves it, will put 3 in one hole) and round count on gun is less than 100

Gunnut 45/454
02-16-2012, 10:52
country85
So PSA supplied the buffer? If thats the case call them up and have them replace it! They are here on this board as well hopefully they'll chime in!

JaPes
02-16-2012, 12:06
The rifle is a Palmetto State lower built by me...
...the buffer and tube are also no name, probaly ebay specials..

You built the lower and don't know where you sourced the buffer tube & buffer???

:confused:

raven11
02-16-2012, 12:48
You built the lower and don't know where you sourced the buffer tube & buffer???

:confused:

when i ordered a buffer tube from Rguns and PSA they came with no markings except the buffer weight and visually they look the same I couldn't tell you who made them if I switched them around

JaPes
02-16-2012, 13:00
when i ordered a buffer tube from Rguns and PSA they came with no markings except the buffer weight and visually they look the same I couldn't tell you who made them if I switched them around

I recently built a budget AR using RGuns parts. The buffer tube is a generic mil-spec tube. The buffers are generic too.

OP,

I have a brand new carbine buffer sitting in my parts box. I can send it out to you. I'd rather someone use it than have it just sit. PM me your mailing address if you want it.

GT-er's look out for each other. :)

country85
02-16-2012, 17:14
Thanks for all your help and input on this ya'll, the one lesson I've learned the hard was is to make sure you use quality parts the first time lol

DJ Niner
02-16-2012, 19:37
I do believe that's the first time I've seen a buffer break at the flat end. I've seen a few break at the cross-pin hole at the other end, either on the aluminum tube or the synthetic plug, but not in that manner.

Winner, Weird Malfunction of the Week, Month, and (probably) Year! :number1:

country85
02-16-2012, 20:59
LMAO!!! Leave it to me to win the award for breaking stuff lol Yea I've popped the synthetic plug off one of the Vietnam era buffers I had for my a2 stock but never had any problems on a new one lol.

Thanks to JaPes also, thanks to him I"ll be able to hopefully blast some yotes this weekend!!!

JaPes
02-16-2012, 22:31
Thanks to JaPes also, thanks to him I"ll be able to hopefully blast some yotes this weekend!!!

You're welcome!

Even though you're only a state away, I'm not sure USPS Priority Mail will get it to you by this Saturday, but you'll definitely be able to go blast some yotes next weekend. :)

country85
02-17-2012, 15:27
Either way, any day is a good day to make some yotes bite some bullets lol

country85
02-21-2012, 14:03
Finally got my buffer in the mail! thanks again JaPes!!!