Ruger LCP Issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP Issues

ArmedMikeQ
02-15-2012, 18:49
Well darn. I purchased an LCP with Lasermax laser and took it to the range for the first time on VDay.

Shot 150 rounds of Federal and Magtech ammo.

1. I had 4 FTE which were in the first 30 or 40 rounds. All cleared up after 30 to 40 rounds.

2. I had about 3 times where I had to push the slide closed because the round would get stuck in the feed ramp. All that cleared up after about 40 rounds.

3. Within the 150 rounds though I had an serious issue.
I would load a magazine and rack the slide. A round would load in the chamber. I will pull the trigger and no pressure on the trigger. I would eject a live round, load another round in the chamber and the trigger would function properly. The way I would rack the slide would be pull it all the way back fully and sling shot it and a round would load.

4. Laser would go dim and then bright after I shot it. That happened about 3 times. The CS lady said that it probally needs new batteries.

I called Ruger and they emailed me a shipping label. It shipped out today. The customer service lady told me once they received the pistol it would be about 2 weeks.

Arrrggggggggg. I really wanted this pistol to work right out of the box so I feel good about it.

Any advise on the issue #3 ?

battlin bulldog
02-15-2012, 21:11
How many times did problem number 3 occur? ive never heard of that happening. Sorry about your troubles. Ruger will stand behind their product. Its just to bad because it will be hard to trust the lcp for a while and they really are great little guns.

Feanor
02-15-2012, 22:56
Its just to bad because it will be hard to trust the lcp for a while and they really are great little guns.

They're just not "great little" guns. They are okay, but the truth is that they've had numerous problems with them, some work well, some don't! Regardless I can't make out what the OP is trying to say because his post is somewhat hard to understand.

I do understand that many dearly love their little Ruger LCP pistols, however these problems are actually somewhat widespread, one of the main problems being that the vast majority rarely shoot them, or only shot a box or two through them and are then satisfied, which is inadequate for properly vetting these mechanisms.

It sounds as though he is trying to describe a defective safety activation, or perhaps a sear issue.

ArmedMikeQ
02-16-2012, 04:12
#3 happened about 4 times.

I would load a magazine with 6 rounds and rack the slide. A round would load in the chamber. I pulled the trigger and no pressure on the trigger. It was like the firing pin was not cocked. I would pull back the slide and a live round would eject out. Another round would load in the chamber and the trigger would function properly. I would shoot the remaining 5 rounds from the mag.

rozz421
02-16-2012, 04:24
Sorry to hear about your lcp. I bought my father and I one each last year and they have been flawless. Im sure ruger will get you sorted out.

sourdough44
02-16-2012, 04:34
Just to add you can go to the elsiepeaforum to get into detailed LCP discussions. It's a forum almost dedicated to the Ruger LCP, & a few others.

ArmedMikeQ
02-16-2012, 04:46
Just to add you can go to the elsiepeaforum to get into detailed LCP discussions. It's a forum almost dedicated to the Ruger LCP, & a few others.

k Thanks I will post something there too

Lowjiber
02-16-2012, 07:08
I have one with hundreds of practice rounds through the barrel...no issues.

I have several Ruger pistols and can testify that Ruger is very good at taking care of problems.

Below is my LCP in its Blackhawk #1 pocket-holster.

Pops 1
02-16-2012, 07:21
I own a LCP also with no problems at all. Ruger will take care of you. Pops

ArmedMikeQ
02-16-2012, 08:52
Me too. I sure they will get all the bugs worked out. I feel confident that they will make it as good or better than new. Just wish that it would work out of the box. I like my pistols to be perfect. :(

ithaca_deerslayer
02-16-2012, 09:22
#1 would bug me. If either the extractor or the chamber were dirty, or the ammo was bad, then ok. Clean, change ammo, and go. But otherwise, how would it fix itself?

#2 is the easiest. Stronger recoil spring from Wolff. Or polish feedramp. Or different ammo.

#3 is a something wrong. Need Ruger to fix is.

#4 is I don't use laser sights :rofl:

SPIN2010
02-16-2012, 09:27
I had one about a year ago and it seemed (to me) to wear (slide) at the rate of ice melting after about two hundred and fifty rounds of self defense ammo. I sold it for a G27. Just saying.

ArmedMikeQ
02-23-2012, 15:24
So will I get an email with a tracking number when my LCP or a replacement is sent back to me?

Anyone know?

hoghunter82
02-23-2012, 16:16
I have ha issues with these pocket 380s as well, including the LCP. If a gun gives me trouble I loose trust, and that's not a good thing in a SD situation. I went with the Ruger LCR and never looked back. No FTE, stovepipe, brass to the face, etc issues for me anymore. It is a bit bigger than the LCP but the dead nuts reliability is worth it to me- YMMV. Just one man's opinion after trying nearly every "pocket auto" out there. LCR = peace of mind.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ArmedMikeQ
02-23-2012, 16:21
I have ha issues with these pocket 380s as well, including the LCP. If a gun gives me trouble I loose trust, and that's not a good thing in a SD situation. I went with the Ruger LCR and never looked back. No FTE, stovepipe, brass to the face, etc issues for me anymore. It is a bit bigger than the LCP but the dead nuts reliability is worth it to me- YMMV. Just one man's opinion after trying nearly every "pocket auto" out there. LCR = peace of mind.

I understand completely. I called Ruger on Monday and requested a new LCP. The CS lady said that she would put the request in and she said that with all the issues it was likely to be replaced.

Also I have a S&W Bodyguard with Insight Laser. The new poly .38 like the LCR. I carry that all the time now. It is not bad and light too.

CorkyE
02-23-2012, 16:39
I'm one of the guys that took mine out of the box and it's gone bang every time. Just read the forums and Glocks aren't immune from problems either. Hopefully they will get you straightened out.

hogship
02-23-2012, 17:03
I'm one of the guys that took mine out of the box and it's gone bang every time. Just read the forums and Glocks aren't immune from problems either. Hopefully they will get you straightened out.

Mine has been perfect out of the box, too......

#3 has something to do with the linkage between trigger and hammer.....bad news in a SD situation.

Hopefully, Ruger will replace it.......I'd have a very hard time ever trusting that one again......or ever!

ooc

ArmedMikeQ
03-05-2012, 10:52
Update:

LCP still at Ruger since Feb 15th. :(

I called twice since then and no updates.

hoghunter82
03-05-2012, 12:10
Sorry to hear. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I just have fits with these pocket autos. I can't see myself trading my my LCR .38 +P for an auto to CCW. The peace of mind that the revolver brings me is something I am very happy with. Ruger will make it right or ship you another. What drove me nuts is how many rounds I had to burn to become confident in a pocket auto function (ie- break in period). Before I switched to the revolver I bet I was up to a grand in ammo costs trying to find the right pocket pistol.

Paul7
03-05-2012, 14:08
Mine was garbage, Ruger finally gave me a refund after it went back to the factory three times. The scary thing was, the real problems didn't show up until after 200 rounds.

GlockFish
03-05-2012, 14:44
Mines been perfect with hundreds of rounds.

ArmedMikeQ
03-05-2012, 15:12
Sorry to hear. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I just have fits with these pocket autos. I can't see myself trading my my LCR .38 +P for an auto to CCW. The peace of mind that the revolver brings me is something I am very happy with. Ruger will make it right or ship you another. What drove me nuts is how many rounds I had to burn to become confident in a pocket auto function (ie- break in period). Before I switched to the revolver I bet I was up to a grand in ammo costs trying to find the right pocket pistol.

I agree. I think I am done with the .380 small autos and going back to .38SP revolver. Glad I had my S&W new Bodyguard .38SP revolver with Insight Laser. If I ever need to pull the trigger I know it's going to function.

Also I dont want to buy 200 more rounds of .380 ammo when I get it back to test it.

I would love for Ruger to trade out the LCP with a LCR .38SP for me.

ArmedMikeQ
03-05-2012, 15:27
Mine was garbage, Ruger finally gave me a refund after it went back to the factory three times. The scary thing was, the real problems didn't show up until after 200 rounds.

What was the problem?

ArmedMikeQ
03-06-2012, 20:27
Ruger called me and they are sending me a brand new LCP with Lasermax Laser.

I am glad they are sending me a brand new one. Their Customer Service is good.

Now I need to decide to keep it and spend another $100 in ammo to make sure it is good or sell it for an LCR .38SP

hoghunter82
03-06-2012, 21:19
I think you know what my answer would be. I have zero interest in burning expensive ammo hoping that a CCW gun will function flawlessly. Get the LCR .38+p and put the micro 380 days behind you. Sure those 380s are a bit easier to CCW, but they were not worth the headaches I've had. I added a special order Remora holster (for the pocket) and the LCR carries like a dream. Just get the LCR, buy one box of range ammo and another SD ammo and you will feel so much more at ease. My CCW is all taken care of, now I spend my time figuring out what other "fun guns" I want to acquire. Of course this is just my opinion.

gruntmedik
03-06-2012, 23:19
Ruger called me and they are sending me a brand new LCP with Lasermax Laser.

I am glad they are sending me a brand new one. Their Customer Service is good.

Now I need to decide to keep it and spend another $100 in ammo to make sure it is good or sell it for an LCR .38SP

Let me know if you decide to sell it.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-07-2012, 00:25
I'd keep it. I like my LCP.

A snubbie is good, too.

ArmedMikeQ
03-07-2012, 05:56
I think you know what my answer would be. I have zero interest in burning expensive ammo hoping that a CCW gun will function flawlessly. Get the LCR .38+p and put the micro 380 days behind you. Sure those 380s are a bit easier to CCW, but they were not worth the headaches I've had. I added a special order Remora holster (for the pocket) and the LCR carries like a dream. Just get the LCR, buy one box of range ammo and another SD ammo and you will feel so much more at ease. My CCW is all taken care of, now I spend my time figuring out what other "fun guns" I want to acquire. Of course this is just my opinion.

I asked Ruger if they could send me a new LCR and they said that only could ship the same new pistol. But I am ok with that for a brand new LCP. I agree with you. I am going to sell it and get a LCR.

ArmedMikeQ
03-07-2012, 05:57

I will PM you and give you some info. I live in Bardstown so we are real close.

ArmedMikeQ
03-07-2012, 06:10

I emailed you. Let me know if you got it.

Thanks.

ArmedMikeQ
03-13-2012, 20:11
Called Ruger Monday. New pistol still not shipped out. I was assured that it would ship this week. Dang, long time waiting on Ruger. Since Feb 15th.

ArmedMikeQ
03-15-2012, 13:56
Well I am so beside myself.

Called Ruger again today and asked when my new replacement LCP with Lasermax would be shipped out. After the CS lady put me on hold she came back and said next week.

I politely but firmly said that this is now 4 weeks and I have been told for the last 2 weeks that it would be shipped out within a day. So now it will be 6 weeks till I have a new pistol.

She said that since it was a replacement it had to be reviewed and approved then all kinds of internal paperwork.

I told her it was approved last Tuesday 03-06-2012 so how long to complete all this "internal" paperwork? She said it would be shipping next week and "hopefully by next week's end".

To say the least I am disappointed in Ruger. :steamed:

hoghunter82
03-15-2012, 15:33
That is really disappointing. I don't understand what the holdup could be since they already said they are shipping you a new gun. You know my stance, get the LCR and hope u never have to call Ruger again. Although I would not blame u if this experience completely turns you off from Ruger. I gotta believe that the unbelievable avalanche of gun purchases are taking their toll on some of these companies- even the good ones. I could be wrong though (as usual).

ArmedMikeQ
03-15-2012, 16:43
That is really disappointing. I don't understand what the holdup could be since they already said they are shipping you a new gun. You know my stance, get the LCR and hope u never have to call Ruger again. Although I would not blame u if this experience completely turns you off from Ruger. I gotta believe that the unbelievable avalanche of gun purchases are taking their toll on some of these companies- even the good ones. I could be wrong though (as usual).

I hear you again and agree. I have my S&W new Bodyguard with Insight Laser just like the LCR. I couldn't be happier with it. It is light and really a joy to carry. I appreciate the revolver simplicity and comfort knowing it will go bang if I ever need it.

BTW: I was going to buy a LCR but with Ruger customer service I am hesitant if I ever need to send it in. Now the LCP is handled from Arizona and the LCR is handled from New Hampshire so experience could vary.

I probablly still will buy a LCR. :whistling:

jolly roger
03-15-2012, 19:04
The few times I tried a 380 for off duty, the vaunted Walther PPK and a Mauser HSC, I swore I would NEVER carry another one for a small gun. The mini 380s can only be worse for LONG term durability. Not me thanks. I'll take what's worked for me for over 30 years...J frame S&W

ArmedMikeQ
03-20-2012, 05:46
Update:

03-20-2012 - No email or phone call that my new replacement LCP has shipped.

It is going on 5 weeks now.

:steamed:

ArmedMikeQ
03-26-2012, 19:33
Update:

03-26-2012 - No email or phone call that my new replacement LCP has shipped.

It is now 5 weeks since it was delivered to Ruger.

I called Friday. Still no ETA on this new replacement pistol.

hoghunter82
03-26-2012, 19:55
Update:

03-26-2012 - No email or phone call that my new replacement LCP has shipped.

It is now 5 weeks since it was delivered to Ruger.

I called Friday. Still no ETA on this new replacement pistol.

Mike,
I can't understand this at all. I've followed your thread since the beginning. If they are simply replacing your LCP what in the world could be the hold up? Things have got to be out of control over there at Ruger with these LCPs. The LCP is in every sale ad, gun shop, special buy counter at each LGS I visit. Ruger has got to be pushing these out by the truckload. Wouldn't you think they could pull one off for you? Man, I hope I never have any issues with my LCR. Have you gone over to the Ruger Forum or Elsiepea Forum and posted your issues. The folks at Elsiepea are very helpful. Maybe someone else is dealing with / or has dealt with something similar? Misery loves company, but maybe they have some insight as to what is going on at Ruger? Really hate to hear about this LCP ongoing drama.

ArmedMikeQ
03-26-2012, 20:11
HogHunter82 -

I appreciate you sticking with me on this thread. I am not alone out here. :)

I have felt like I have been thru the ringer. On Friday I called and asked to talk to the supervisor woman that I spoke to 3 weeks ago. She was not at her desk so I left a message. I was nice but told her that when her and I last talked (on a Tuesday) she told me it would ship out that Friday. Now it is 3 weeks later and unexceptable. She has not called me back. I was very nice. I was not upset at all. I don't know whats going on at Ruger in Arizona location but they must be overwelmed. The LCR is out of New Hampture.

ArmedMikeQ
03-26-2012, 20:14
03-28-2012 will be 6 weeks since Ruger received my LCP.

ArmedMikeQ
03-29-2012, 05:45
Update: 03-29-2012

I received a tracking number yesterday evening. The brand new replacement LCP with the Lasermax laser has shipped and will be delivered on 03-30-2012 to my dealer. Long time coming.

I am going to sell it. If no buyers by Saturday I will just not transfer it from dealer to me and they will issue me a store credit on another pistol. I will be going with another .38SP revolver. Don't quite know if it will be a Ruger LCR though. But maybe. :whistling:

M1a65
03-29-2012, 23:26
A watched kettle never boils... lol

I have a LCP I picked up for the now Ex-wife, It's been sitting in my safe for 1 1/2 years now. Bought it for her just as things started getting bad... No, I didn't give it to her while we were fighting! Duh... Thinking that all the time it's been setting in the safe it's aging nicely like Kobe beef and should shoot sweetly when I take it to the range. I'll give you some follow up as I plan on taking the kids to the range this week as they're off for spring break. Good luck with the new piece coming in.

ArmedMikeQ
04-05-2012, 16:19
Update: 03-29-2012

I received a tracking number yesterday evening. The brand new replacement LCP with the Lasermax laser has shipped and will be delivered on 03-30-2012 to my dealer. Long time coming.

I am going to sell it. If no buyers by Saturday I will just not transfer it from dealer to me and they will issue me a store credit on another pistol. I will be going with another .38SP revolver. Don't quite know if it will be a Ruger LCR though. But maybe. :whistling:

Well I and my "other" dealer been looking for an LCR and every wholeseller is sold out. I found one at my hometown dealer. Bought it this morning. $396.99 :whistling:

He had a carton of them in stock.

fowler
04-06-2012, 07:10
Rugers autos and Taurus have to be sent back more than any others with Springfield comming in 3rd place. This are entry level and you would be better spending a few hundred more in the first place for a better handgun. Life is to short to protect it with substandard brands. If you go cheap get a wheelgun like the SW642.

ArmedMikeQ
04-06-2012, 09:17
Rugers autos and Taurus have to be sent back more than any others with Springfield comming in 3rd place. This are entry level and you would be better spending a few hundred more in the first place for a better handgun. Life is to short to protect it with substandard brands. If you go cheap get a wheelgun like the SW642.

I like SW642 and SW442. Great wheel guns. I owned a SW642 and regret selling it about 1 minute after I did.

I honestly feel the LCR 38SP is a solid gun. It is super light and comfortable to wear all day.

hoghunter82
04-06-2012, 10:17
Happy to see u got a tracking number and already got the LCR. Put the LCP nightmare behind you and buy some .38 ammo!!

Folsom_Prison
04-06-2012, 10:39
I like SW642 and SW442. Great wheel guns. I owned a SW642 and regret selling it about 1 minute after I did.

I honestly feel the LCR 38SP is a solid gun. It is super light and comfortable to wear all day.

The LCR is a great revolver, the grip feels great and it has a better trigger than the smith, congrats and glad your getting it all figured out. Btw that rattle sound the LCR makes is the transfer bar I believe and it's perfectly normal.

ArmedMikeQ
04-06-2012, 10:56
The LCR is a great revolver, the grip feels great and it has a better trigger than the smith, congrats and glad your getting it all figured out. Btw that rattle sound the LCR makes is the transfer bar I believe and it's perfectly normal.

Funny you said that about the rattle. I got it home and was cleaning it and was like holy #$@!

I read the manual and it states that it is normal to rattle a little.

:cool:

RVER
04-06-2012, 18:04
Funny you said that about the rattle. I got it home and was cleaning it and was like holy #$@! I read the manual and it states that it is normal to rattle a little. :cool:

:tongueout: :rofl: :tongueout: I know exactly how you feel. I think you, me and thousands of others fell for the Ruger "rattle" joke. I was sure that something was wrong with my LCR when I took it out of the box. But hey, if we want to make sure that the gun works we just have to unload it, rattle it, then dry fire it while checking that the firing pin came trhu the hole. Unlike the "pocket" autos that you'll never know that something went wrong until you hear a click instead of a bang. I'll never understand how a pistol that functioned perfectly yesterday and 300 rounds prior to that suddenly decides to go belly up today... No, I'm done with pocket sized autos. Full sized, sure, but for a small and light gun I want a revolver.

BBSRQ
04-06-2012, 18:14
I'm glad I found this thread. I have a S&W 642 that I was going to give my wife as both a carry and range gun but she thinks it's boring so I was thinking about the Ruger LCP or LC9. After reading this thread, forget Ruger. It's not that they might have an occasional problem. It's the awful CS that followed. I have no patience for lies and people telling me whatever so they can get on with their day. I hope someone from Ruger is paying attention.

WILLSARV
04-06-2012, 19:03
I'm glad I found this thread. I have a S&W 642 that I was going to give my wife as both a carry and range gun but she thinks it's boring so I was thinking about the Ruger LCP or LC9. After reading this thread, forget Ruger. It's not that they might have an occasional problem. It's the awful CS that followed. I have no patience for lies and people telling me whatever so they can get on with their day. I hope someone from Ruger is paying attention.

My experience exactly. They lied to me, called me a liar and in general, treated me like a red headed step child at a family reunion. No more new Rugers for me.:steamed::steamed:

257 roberts
04-06-2012, 19:16
never had a problem with my LCP and I shot all kinds of ammo threw it but finally traded it off for a NIB S&W Sigma in 40 S&W,now I have a Glock 23, S&W M&P 40c, Para Ord P16-40 I like the 40 S&W!!!!the LCP was/is a good little gun if you can get used to the loooong trigger pull.

jpwalnuthill
04-06-2012, 19:22
600 plus rounds not one problem cant say that about Glock 26 Gen 4

gruntmedik
04-06-2012, 21:02
Glad you finally got satisfaction.