had a little oopsie at work the other day... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : had a little oopsie at work the other day...

rudeguy
02-15-2012, 19:56
I work in a non-gun friendly environment. Knowing that management and most of my coworkers aren't gun people, I don't talk about guns or let anyone know that I carry. I also don't carry inside the building since no one knows for sure if its allowed. So every day I lock up my gun in my car and tuck my holster under my shirt when I go into work.

But the other day I was putting on my coat and didn't realize it was upside down. As soon as I realized it, I heard a thud. I looked down and there was a fully loaded magazine staring up at me. I scooped it up and walked away like nothing happened.

But...but I work in a very busy place. There are 50+ people that sit right by where I was. I didn't look around because I didn't want to draw any attention to myself.

So...I am worried. Today and tomorrow are my days off, so I won't know if anyone did see or if they did and told anyone. It was a stupid move on my part and the first time I've ever had that happen.

Thoughts? Anyone been in a position like that?

MoneyMaker
02-15-2012, 20:04
Just tell them you had it in your coat as you went to the range lastnight,or prepare another good story as i am sure it was seen and reported

DustyJacket
02-15-2012, 20:08
Why would you wear the holster to work, or anything else gun related, if it is an anti-gun employer?

Use a clip-on, paddle, pocket, or other holster.

Put magazines in the car, or in a zipped pocket.

Keep us posted on your next couple of days back at work.

vafish
02-15-2012, 20:11
I dropped a spare mag on the floor when in line at the company cafeteria. Just scooped it up and paid for my food.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CA Escapee
02-15-2012, 20:14
I've found that most people aren't anti-gun. They're just ignorant about guns and have misconceptions about them. (They form their opinions by what they see on TV.) That being said, could any of those people near you tell what that magazine really was? If the issue comes up could you just pass it off as, "Oh, it was only my cell phone," or something like that.

Tell me it wasn't a 30 rnd. AR mag was it? :supergrin:

Bill

rudeguy
02-15-2012, 20:23
I've found that most people aren't anti-gun. They're just ignorant about guns and have misconceptions about them. (They form their opinions by what they see on TV.) That being said, could any of those people near you tell what that magazine really was? If the issue comes up could you just pass it off as, "Oh, it was only my cell phone," or something like that.

Tell me it wasn't a 30 rnd. AR mag was it? :supergrin:

Bill

LOL! No, but that would have been awesome.

It was a 10 round G26 mag. Pretty small. But to me the hollow points looked about 10 inches round when it was sitting on the floor.

All in all it was on the floor for maybe 1 second. But the last thing I want is to be sitting in HR explaining why I had a magazine at work.

And I do have a FOBUS paddle holster but my Don Hume JIT Slide is much easier to conceal and its what I prefer. I always have a spare magazine on me. What's the point of having one if you don't carry it on you?

Angry Fist
02-15-2012, 20:27
They prolly didn't know what it was.

nikerret
02-15-2012, 20:35
They prolly didn't know what it was.

This^^^

Play dumb. If someone asks, you don't remember anything of note.

glockpsych
02-15-2012, 20:40
I like the idea of preparing a story ahead of time, "I was with a friend at the range last week and forgot it was in my pocket", "I was planning to go to the range later that day and put it in my pocket that morning and forgot," etc. However, don't be surprised if no one noticed or even knew what it was, especially if they aren't gun folks. You might even try telling them that it was your cellphone. ("Gun magazine? What would I have a gun magazine at work for?") Memory is a very hazy thing according to even the best of research. And for the most part people are oblivious, wrapped up in their own thoughts and inner drama. As an example, I was with someone a few years ago, going down the escalator into one of NYC's busiest subway stations at rush hour and he dropped a box of ammunition on the ground that splattered all over the platform. We just kept walking--as fast as we could (how could you possibly explain your way out of that one?)--and no one paid attention or even noticed.

rudeguy
02-15-2012, 20:50
I like the idea of preparing a story ahead of time, "I was with a friend at the range last week and forgot it was in my pocket", "I was planning to go to the range later that day and put it in my pocket that morning and forgot," etc. However, don't be surprised if no one noticed or even knew what it was, especially if they aren't gun folks. You might even try telling them that it was your cellphone. ("Gun magazine? What would I have a gun magazine at work for?") Memory is a very hazy thing according to even the best of research. And for the most part people are oblivious, wrapped up in their own thoughts and inner drama. As an example, I was with someone a few years ago, going down the escalator into one of NYC's busiest subway stations at rush hour and he dropped a box of ammunition on the ground that splattered all over the platform. We just kept walking--as fast as we could (how could you possibly explain your way out of that one?)--and no one paid attention or even noticed.

wait....

range ammo or carry ammo? :tongueout:

Thanks guys. I am a worrier, so I'm sure that I am gearing myself up for the worst. I like the idea of playing dumb. I've got that act down pact! :wavey:

jdavionic
02-15-2012, 20:57
Does your work forbid ammo? Many places that have restrictions just identify firearms or weapons. In my state, they cannot do anything about a firearm in your vehicle. However your state may not have such laws.

For me, I'd just say 'it was a magazine only and the gun is locked up in the vehicle'. However my work is very 'gun friendly'. If you dropped a mag, you'd have people checking to see if it was theirs. :supergrin:

CA Escapee
02-15-2012, 21:00
Or it was your flashlight.

(They don't read the Glock Talk Forum do they?)

Bill

Jade Falcon
02-15-2012, 21:05
Tell them it was a tazer. :supergrin:

rudeguy
02-15-2012, 21:14
Does your work forbid ammo? Many places that have restrictions just identify firearms or weapons. In my state, they cannot do anything about a firearm in your vehicle. However your state may not have such laws.

For me, I'd just say 'it was a magazine only and the gun is locked up in the vehicle'. However my work is very 'gun friendly'. If you dropped a mag, you'd have people checking to see if it was theirs. :supergrin:

I'd love to work in a place like that.

No one really knows what is and what isn't allowed. Our handbook is confusing on the subject. I posted a thread about it on here and it was concluded that it was written by third grade special education students while they were drunk.

All I know is that my car is my property and whatever I legally have in there is my business. What I bring into work is their business. I guess I should get in the habit of leaving the magazine in my car as well.

I wish they did read Glocktalk! My work is very, very laid back. We are encouraged to speak our minds, we cuss, we define sexual harassment on a daily basis. But we never talk about guns. I work in a call center and its not uncommon for customer to threaten us. That is taken very seriously and the police are always called. Even if the customer is 2,000 miles away.

cangler
02-15-2012, 21:16
it was your pager... bring back the 90s

SouthernBoyVA
02-15-2012, 21:39
First and foremost, never lie. When you tell the truth, you never have to remember what you told someone.

It's a magazine. If someone were to see it, tell them the truth... that you left it in your coat pocket and don't act as though it's a bid deal. That's not a lie. If the company has a policy forbidding guns or any gun-related accessories or components on the premises then your honesty will most likely be accepted.

xmanhockey7
02-15-2012, 22:41
I was carrying in my shoulder holster one time and when I stopped off at a gas station when I was going in to go to the bathroom I heard something fall on the ground. I stopped and looked to see my Glock mag sitting right on the pavement. No one was around to see it though.

ScottieG59
02-15-2012, 23:09
In my facility, it is illegal to carry concealed. I do not push it, since being arrested and unemployed is not a good way to pay the bills.

However, I have been discovered carrying over the 30+ years I have carried concealed.

I am not concerned what the average citizen will do about discovering I am armed. I only worry if the bad guys discover I am armed and shoot first.

I have had shoulder holsters shift and show. I have had pockets that do not fully close and allow near people to see inside. One of my kids saw me draw my weapon when we heard a loud crash in the house (never found where the noise came from). When I was going to make a very large cash deposit in the bank, my boss wanted to make sure I was armed. The secretaries overheard and were surprised I carried a concealed weapon, though they were not worried about it.

I do not worry about being embarrassed. I only worry about tactical advantage and not breaking the law.

Misty02
02-16-2012, 06:15
I work in a non-gun friendly environment. Knowing that management and most of my coworkers aren't gun people, I don't talk about guns or let anyone know that I carry. I also don't carry inside the building since no one knows for sure if its allowed. So every day I lock up my gun in my car and tuck my holster under my shirt when I go into work.

But the other day I was putting on my coat and didn't realize it was upside down. As soon as I realized it, I heard a thud. I looked down and there was a fully loaded magazine staring up at me. I scooped it up and walked away like nothing happened.

But...but I work in a very busy place. There are 50+ people that sit right by where I was. I didn't look around because I didn't want to draw any attention to myself.

So...I am worried. Today and tomorrow are my days off, so I won't know if anyone did see or if they did and told anyone. It was a stupid move on my part and the first time I've ever had that happen.

Perhaps nothing will come of it, but be prepared to answer some questions (just in case).

Personally, I wouldn’t carry any gun related items at work, but that is just me. An empty holster, if spotted by the wrong person, could make your vehicle a tempting target for theft.

davsco
02-16-2012, 07:59
All in all it was on the floor for maybe 1 second.

well within the 5 second rule, so it never happened...

SouthernBoyVA
02-16-2012, 08:03
Perhaps nothing will come of it, but be prepared to answer some questions (just in case).

Personally, I wouldn’t carry any gun related items at work, but that is just me. An empty holster, if spotted by the wrong person, could make your vehicle a tempting target for theft.

Neither would I were I working in an environment where firearms were not allowed. If you keep it in your car, make sure your car is secure.

But this is no longer a problem for me since I no longer have to work.

JBaird22
02-16-2012, 08:09
Its amazing to me the number of responses where people suggest lying to cover up the OP had a magazine. It could also be, I work in an environment where if you aren't carrying a gun you're in trouble.

Just tell the truth and go on. There isn't anything to worry about as most people don't pay attention to anything but their smartphones, facebook or who is doing what to whom.

Misty02
02-16-2012, 08:59
Neither would I were I working in an environment where firearms were not allowed. If you keep it in your car, make sure your car is secure.

But this is no longer a problem for me since I no longer have to work.

I am among those that keep it in a vehicle safe while I’m at work; it helps a bit with my conscience. Other than that, I know that absent the right tools a determined thief would just take the whole car.

Oramac
02-16-2012, 09:08
it was written by third grade special education students while they were drunk.

And now my coworkers are looking at me like I'm a drunk third grader because I literally laughed out loud at that! :rofl:

For the OP, I agree with SouthernBoyVA. Tell em the truth. It's a magazine. It fell out of my pocket. End of story.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-16-2012, 10:04
Some of you guys crack me up with the lengths you would go to to explain an, oh noes, SPARE MAGAZINE!!!

If they give you crap tell them to shove it and mind their business instead of trying to mind yours.

ssharber
02-16-2012, 10:37
Tell them it was a small stapler you were taking to Wal-mart to get the right staples for. it's not like anyone can prove it was a magazine. Doesn't sound like it was on the floor long enough for someone to take a picture of it. Admitting to having even ammo at work might get them to thinking to look in your vehicle one day. Admit nothing.

SouthernBoyVA
02-17-2012, 07:11
Tell them it was a small stapler you were taking to Wal-mart to get the right staples for. it's not like anyone can prove it was a magazine. Doesn't sound like it was on the floor long enough for someone to take a picture of it. Admitting to having even ammo at work might get them to thinking to look in your vehicle one day. Admit nothing.

Your vehicle is private property. They cannot just demand to search your vehicle (assuming you are not on a government installation). Of course you can be fired for refusing but that is a decision to take should such an incident actually happen.

Still best not to lie.

Bobshouse
02-18-2012, 12:53

Great story...nobody told, but now that I read this...stop in my office when you get back, and bring a few boxes for your stuff.

ssharber
02-19-2012, 04:10
Your vehicle is private property. They cannot just demand to search your vehicle (assuming you are not on a government installation). Of course you can be fired for refusing but that is a decision to take should such an incident actually happen.

Still best not to lie.

A lot of companies have policy stating that when your vehicle is on their property they reserve the right to search it. That's what I was referring to. So you're wrong when you say they cannot demand to search it. You have the right to refuse, but also at the cost of your job.

On another note, others here have suggested saying it was something other than a magazine yet you chose me to lecture to about lying. I may not have a high post count here but Ive been a member for many years. I've found most people here to be friendly but others who like to single certain people out to preach to. I've read some of your posts. You might want to take your own advice.

Warp
02-19-2012, 13:43
I wouldn't worry about it.

If it comes up, just tell them you had a magazine in your jacket pocket that you forgot about. It fell out. Simple.

I would not lie about it.

rudeguy
02-20-2012, 08:50
Nothing exciting happened. If anyone saw, they didn't say a word.

Thanks again everyone

SigFTW
02-20-2012, 09:45
That's good to hear!

Bruce M
02-21-2012, 07:25
I am not sure what if any problems carrying an empty holster and a magazine could solve, but it seems that there are more than a few problems carrying an empty holster and a magazine could cause.

rudeguy
02-23-2012, 21:40
I am not sure what if any problems carrying an empty holster and a magazine could solve, but it seems that there are more than a few problems carrying an empty holster and a magazine could cause.

Stop making sense. It makes me realize how dumb I can be

Sgt127
02-23-2012, 23:10
It would have been a more entertaining story if, when it hit the floor, it puked up all its rounds and they shot all over the room like a broken bag of Skittles.

Most people are utterly oblivious. They were too wrapped up Facebooking with thier friends about the dinner they were going to make when they got home that day.

Myke_Hart
02-24-2012, 06:15
In this case the truth may set you free.....Free ticket to the unemployment line. It's only your job on the line. I suggest you play dumb like you don't know what they are talking about. Is that lying? Not exactly....

I would also make sure you don't have a magazine or holster on you when they call you down to HR. Most places have zero tolerance. Expect to have to empty your pockets in front of the boss/security, if not Monday some day during next week. If they don't call you this weekend... :whistling:

A buddy once brought me in a 4 gallon bag of empty 12ga hulls and left them on my desk. I was out that day so they sat in my chair all day. We got a stern talking to the next day. It was once fired empty hulls! :faint:

Another buddy used to wear a empty holster to work, in plain sight. That lasted about 3 months. Once the none gunners found out what it was, he was told not to be seen with it again. Empty holster.:faint:

If you value your job. Don't bring it in. If not... keep on keeping on. :supergrin:

You can't be arrested but they can fire you! I wish we were allowed to carry at work... better yet... I wish it was mandated! Punished for not carrying! :embarassed:

BamaTrooper
02-24-2012, 10:53

If no one knows whether it is allowed, does anyone know if it is prohibited?

BamaTrooper
02-24-2012, 10:58
...and two other options you could use, if you are gonna lie-
1-Military grade PEZ dispenser
2-Personal enjoyment device

Angry Fist
02-24-2012, 18:11
1-Military grade PEZ dispenser

:rofl:

DannyII
02-24-2012, 19:38
It looked like a lighter from where I'm sitting (in Ohio)

http://www.golding.eu/easy7/kep/emblemazott/lighter_with_gas/48033-1/fire_lighter_black.jpg

But seriously, if they don't ask, you don't need to tell. Most people would't even know what it was if they're non-gunners.

ca survivor
02-24-2012, 21:28
what magazine? that was the battery charger for my phone.

rudeguy
02-25-2012, 00:27
If no one knows whether it is allowed, does anyone know if it is prohibited?

Nope

+10char