Aimpoint H-1 and cross-eye dominance. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint H-1 and cross-eye dominance.

Teecher45
02-15-2012, 19:09
About 3-4 months ago I put an Aimpoint H-1 on my 6920. I love what the red dot stands for but I can't get it to work for me. I am left-eyed dominant and right handed. I have tried to switch hands, not happening, too old. When I focus on the RD my target is blurred, if I focus on the target I see two dots. I am considering selling the set-up. It consist of:
Aimpoint H-1 bought new approximately 3-4 months ago with Aimpoint mount.
LaRue 751 VFZ mount (absolute co-witness).
Two Duracell 2032 batteries unopened.
All paperwork and original boxes.
Everything looks new, only 2 range trips. The rest of the time it has stayed in the safe.
What would you-guys suggest for a fair asking price?
Any questions, please feel free to ask.
Thanks guys...

Bodyarmorguy
02-15-2012, 19:18
I have the same issue....right handed, left eye dominate. Not a big deal for me when shooting a pistol, I have learned to adapt to that.

This issue was really driven home for me in April 2010 when myself and some buddies attended Larry Vickers' 3 Day Carbine and Pistol Class at Blackwater. Shooting the carbine right handed with a red dot sight (I use a T1) causes me to have to force my left eye in order to get a proper dot picture.

LAV has the same cross dominance issue and told me that I needed to start shooting the carbine left handed. I was 45 at the time and 47 now. I often train shooting the carbine left handed and have become quite proficient, perhaps as proficient as I am right handed. Shooting left handed lets me keep both eyes open and use the T1 to its potential.

JBaird22
02-15-2012, 19:21
I too am cross eye dominant. I became a left handed rifle shooter about 10 years ago when I got into policing. It's not hard to train yourself no matter your age. Also, I don't know how iron sights would help you unless you forced your face into an uncomfortable shooting position.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

The Fist Of Goodness
02-15-2012, 19:44
I just came from an advanced firearms instructor course at FLETC, and the instructors there brought up this issue. They recommended shooting left handed if the left eye dominance was a major issue, but otherwise train to shoot with the weak eye. They said that for most LED shooters, it wasn't an issue to use the weak eye.

xXGearheadXx
02-16-2012, 07:42
Are both of your eyes open? I'm a cross dominant shooter also but don't have the issue anymore with my aimpoints. Moving the sight forward helps too.

Serbonze
02-16-2012, 08:35
I have the same issue, right handed but left eye dominant. To compound the problem, I cannot voluntarily close my left eye so I'm forced to shoot with both eyes open. I know, it sounds weird but I have always had the problem.

If I take to long acquiring a target with the red dot, my left eye starts to take over dominance and I will see a double target. At that point I have to reset and start again. It's not easy, but it can be done. Shooting iron sights is very ,very difficult.

It may help if you switch red dots too. I went from an Aimpoint to an Eotech and it really helped. I think trying to look through the tube compounded the issue.

RMD
02-16-2012, 09:38
I have the same issue, right handed but left eye dominant. To compound the problem, I cannot voluntarily close my left eye so I'm forced to shoot with both eyes open. I know, it sounds weird but I have always had the problem...

Same here.

I just shoot long guns left handed. No problemo.

Teecher45
02-16-2012, 13:57
Ok guys, thanks.
But IF I decide to sell it, what do you think a fair price would be?

BBJones
02-16-2012, 19:16
$480-520

Disregarded9-side
02-16-2012, 20:29
Have you tried an EOTech?

I know a friend who can't shoot most dot sights, but does well with EOTechs. Maybe consider a switch?

Sounds like a nice set up; should be easy to sell for a fair price as they're always in demand.

humanguerrilla
02-17-2012, 15:33
Anyone wondering can test for cross eye dominance with your hands/objects but...

can download easy Eye Dominance Test Card here:
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-monovision-dominant-eye.htm

JASV.17
02-20-2012, 06:46
I'm left-eyed right-handed too, and I use my Eotech with no problems at all. As was said, move it forward a bit, that might help. Also, with the Eotech, an advantage is a larger recticle for your eyes to pick up.