Quick opinion wanted [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quick opinion wanted

WarEagle32
02-15-2012, 22:04
I just got a really nice Norinco Mak 90. I cannot stand the factory furniture, so I am going to change it to look more like a traditional looking AK. Since this is a higher end keeper gun for me, I am going to have it cerakoted or duracoated dark black. (maybe H&K black) The opinion I want is for what I should do on the stock. I have narrowed it to two choices. I like the K Var polymer PLUM stock set. The other choice is the ironwood walnut wood stock set. The price is only 30 bucks different so money isn't a factor. Both are high end AK stocks. I like the functionality of the polymer set. I like the traditionalism of the wood. Which should I go with?

fnfalman
02-15-2012, 23:23
Wood. Plastic doesn't quite whack the same with the buttstroke.

chris in va
02-15-2012, 23:37
Thats pretty funny.

Farmalljon
02-16-2012, 11:09
I used to have a MAK 90. Great guns. I really regret selling it. Definitely go with the wood furniture. Much more traditional, and just "looks" so much better.

WarEagle32
02-16-2012, 15:03
Ive had a couple of AK's in the past and both had wood stocks. After putting a good amount of rounds through one the barrel gets very hot, and uncomfortable to have my hand on the wood near the hot barrel. I haven't shot many AK's that have a polymer front forearm, but it seems to me that the polymer will shield the heat much better than the wood. However, the wood will look a little better. I can't decide which to get!

BearMBD
02-16-2012, 15:59
I would go traditional wood, if it is not an every day gun. I think the company is called ironwood designs. Told great quality products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarEagle32
02-16-2012, 19:14
If I go wood it will definitly be an Ironwood stock. Polymer will be K Var.

WarEagle32
02-18-2012, 00:26
Anyone an opinion?

Ethereal Killer
02-18-2012, 01:58
Man, I sure likey me some plum! and it looks pretty good too. If it's gonna be a shooter i'd go plum, if it's more of a safe queen, the ironwood would look pretty good depending on how fancy you went.

WarEagle32
02-18-2012, 17:26
I kinda want a safe queen looking gun that I can run a lot! I have a vast gun collection and this decision is as tough as I can remember. I think the Norinco AK's are going to really be worth some money in a few years so that is a big factor. I am not close to a decision at all. Help please!

Decguns
02-18-2012, 17:44
If it were me, I'd locate some nice Chinese wood furniture. Some nice orange colored Chinese wood furniture was imported a few years ago. It's out there on the surplus & gun auction web sites.

Slapping some paint (duracoat) on a MAK and an incorrect stock isn't gonna add any value to the rifle. It is a Chinese AK. It should remain that way.

AK74play
02-18-2012, 17:57
I have 2 Mak's with square cut receivers that both have Iron Wood walnut stock sets on them and they are really sweet. Also have a SA 85 M and again walnut. It's tough wood and really beautiful. In my opinion, (which meens nothing to anyone but me) it makes the Mak look to be in a completely different class. Iron Wood it definately top notch stuff.

zhix
02-18-2012, 18:37
I prefer wood over polymer on AK furniture.

WarEagle32
02-18-2012, 22:43
Everyone has basically said go wood. Ok I am going to go ironwood walnut. However, the blueing isn't bad but it just isn't that good. I think I should duracoat it black.(maybe H&K black). I think that black with the ironwood walnut will look awesome. Thoughts?

Ethereal Killer
02-18-2012, 23:15
you know you could refinish the walnut to a plum color. a nice subtle hue of purple in the walnut dark undertones would look pretty neat

Line Rider
02-19-2012, 10:46
MAK's seem to be going up up up in price. I would not anything to it that later I could not replace the orginal parts and stock.