I need a cheap, truck rifle. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a cheap, truck rifle.

frank4570
02-16-2012, 07:27
We again have dog problems. 2 of the neighbors had their dogs attacked by dog on the loose.
So I would like a functional gun to throw in the back of the truck, or lean up against the front door. I thought one of the cheap break action handi-rifles was going to be perfect. But it seems they have a lot of problems.
I looked at getting rifle barrel and stock for my Contender frame, but it seems a new rifle would be cheaper.

Any suggestions?

byf43
02-16-2012, 07:52
Local ordinance(s) on shooting in/near residential area(s)?????

Suggestions:

Air rifle.
Used, bolt action .22lr that's capable of using 22 short or 22 CB.

Be prepared for the impending litigation or questioning by the Poh-Leeeeese.

Filhar
02-16-2012, 07:53
Go to Rossiusa.com and look at the Ranch Hand

Farmalljon
02-16-2012, 07:57
.223 is an exellent "anti-dog" round, so any of the AR-15 rifles equiped with a red dot sight would be ideal. If an AR is too pricey, than a Ruger mini 14 is a great, less expensive choice. And if you want to go even cheaper than that, pick up a used SKS somewhere, and put a red dot sight on that. 7.62 x 39 out of an SKS is great for dogs too. The SKS is the least accurate of the three, but it should hold 4" groups at 100yds, which is plenty accurate for what you want to do. Note that all three of my choices are semi-autos. You mentioned some single shot choices. IMO, single shot rifles do not make good choices for protection against dog attacks. The dog could be running at you, or another animal that it wishes to harm, and fast follow up shots are must in these situations. While other action styles beat the hell out of no gun, i really feel semi auto is the way to go here. Anyone else agree or disagree?

BuckeyePPC
02-16-2012, 08:10
Go to Rossiusa.com and look at the Ranch Hand

While you are there, look at their lever action rifles. 10 rounds of .38sp or .357mag in a fast lever action would be fine.

DeLo
02-16-2012, 08:16
kel tec su16c

CBennett
02-16-2012, 08:27
Id use a short shotgun(meaning short LEGAL length) some buckshot,or even BB or T shot is gonna put a hurt into something. maybe a Rem870 or one of those new Savage models. If it had to be a rifle I guess id pick a lever-action something like a 30/30 ....better yet if your not really hunting with it go for the model that shoots .357 mag or .38 special...thats nothing to sneeze at out of a rifle barrel.

but id still go Pump shotgun if I had your situation.

and the only thing I use a single shot gun for is hunting stuff thats not gonna either attack,run at me,or im gonna eat for food..ive got a handi rifle its a good woodchuck,deer,squirrel gun..but the last thing id pick up in your situation.

frank4570
02-16-2012, 09:09

We are out in the country. Animal control tells to just shoot problem dogs. We've killed a few of them.

frank4570
02-16-2012, 09:13
You guys have made realize I have options I hadn't thought of. I have a couple ruger 1022s. Not really sure if I like such a small caliber though. I have a bolt 22 mag. And I have an 870, might prefer more range than the shotty. I have a AR-15 but I don't want people to see it in my truck, just too tempting to steal it.
I have the Saiga .308 box fed..not so expensive. It's a lot of gun though.

Syclone538
02-16-2012, 09:20

Suggestions:

Air rifle.
Used, bolt action .22lr that's capable of using 22 short or 22 CB.

Be prepared for the impending litigation or questioning by the Poh-Leeeeese.

It's sad to see what living in New England can do to someone's whole mentality about guns. Now, I do choose to shoot stray dogs with a BB gun, but not because I'm afraid of someone calling the sheriff's department or what they would say if someone did.

Bren
02-16-2012, 09:29
It's sad to see what living in New England can do to someone's whole mentality about guns. Now, I do choose to shoot stray dogs with a BB gun, but not because I'm afraid of someone calling the sheriff's department or what they would say if someone did.

It's a forum about 90% full of suburban types - "liberal" by shooters' standards - who got their first gun in the last few years. Nothing surprises me here.

OP - for a truck gun for your use, I'd go find a .44 mag or .357 mag lever action Winchester, Marlin or Henry.

frank4570
02-16-2012, 09:31
It's a forum about 90% full of suburban types - "liberal" by shooters' standards - who got their first gun in the last few years. Nothing surprises me here.

OP - for a truck gun for your use, I'd go find a .44 mag or .357 mag lever action Winchester, Marlin or Henry.

I had absolutely not considered a lever gun at all. But it does make a lot of sense.

1gewehr
02-16-2012, 10:22
Get a Mosin-Nagant 91/30. About $100 bucks, cheap ammo, virtually indestructible, and can be used to butt-stroke if shooting is not called for.

Fox
02-16-2012, 10:39
If you want cheap, go pawnshopping for a good, used .22 rifle.

PISTOLHUNTER
02-16-2012, 10:46
The .22 mag bolt gun you have will work fine.

Fox
02-16-2012, 10:47
I bought a used "Plainsman" rifle produced by CVA sometime back in the 1970s. It's a percussion muzzle loading rifle made for shooting patched round ball. I got a nice tight cloverleaf at 50yds with it. It only cost me $100 at a local pawnshop.

I know that few here would choose a muzzleloading rifle for anything, but it will kill feral dogs just fine. One can keep it in their truck and if it gets stolen, well it's not something the average thief will be able to use for armed robbery. So no worries about it being used for robbery or murders. A thief will likely try to sell it for dope money.

dosei
02-16-2012, 10:48
You guys have made realize I have options I hadn't thought of. I have a couple ruger 1022s. Not really sure if I like such a small caliber though. I have a bolt 22 mag. And I have an 870, might prefer more range than the shotty. I have a AR-15 but I don't want people to see it in my truck, just too tempting to steal it.

Many coyotes have met their end complements of the 22 mag.

AR by the door in the house, bolt 22 mag in the truck, & you're covered for zero money out the door.

SixkillerEnterprises
02-16-2012, 10:54
SKS maybe?

MadMonkey
02-16-2012, 11:01
Marlin 336 in 30-30.

frank4570
02-16-2012, 11:05
Many coyotes have meet their end complements of the 22 mag.

AR by the door in the house, bolt 22 mag in the truck, & you're covered for zero money out the door.

That's a pretty good plan. It makes a lot of sense.

HAMMERHEAD
02-16-2012, 11:10
I bought one of the 20" H&R classic carbines in .45 Colt last year. Great little gun, plenty of 'thump'. Mine is a tack driver out to 50 yards. No problems with any of my Handi rifles or Topper shot guns, my friend has a few too, no problems.

Plenty of used barrels and stocks for your Contender on Gunbroker.

A 45, 44 or 357 leverguns would be another good choice.

I keep my single shot .45 Colt in my SUV most of the time.

VinnieD
02-16-2012, 11:50
For a dog I think even a little .410/45 derringer would suffice, but if you don't think you can get the job done in two shots, then I'd second the notion of a lever action carbine. They're compact, easy to shoot, and if you get them in a pistol caliber like .357 the weight and barrel length really help to mitigate the recoil.

The Rossi ranch hand may just suit your needs. It's still functionally a carbine, but so short it's legally sold as a handgun (check state laws on carrying a handgun in the car). That makes it mobile enough to move around a confined space like the cab of a truck.

WarEagle32
02-16-2012, 11:53
The main thing that I would want in this situation is semi automatic capability or a pump shotgun. You can get a new mossberg 500 tactical type riot shotgun for just over 200. That would be my 1st choice. My 2nd choice if I were you would be a ruger 10/22 with a 30 magazine. That 22 loaded with stingers or velocitors will put a big size dog down.

LSUAdman
02-16-2012, 13:18
Not sure I would fall on the .22 band wagon...not saying it wouldnt work, but personally I'd like something a little more.

Have you looked at the Kel Tec folding options? They have the pistol caliber Sub2ks, plus the PLR and the SU-16 series of .223s.

Other than that, a lever action in almost any caliber would be perfect. Its not going to be your general shooter, so what ever you find in a decent caliber that is comfortable to shoot should do the job.

Let us kow what you decide on!

Tim151515
02-16-2012, 13:26

This. It would be hard to beat a magnum lever action for a truck gun. Rugged, Reliable and many can be had for not too high of a tag. However, if you want a rugged, reliable semi(flame suit on) I would even look at a Hi Point carbine in .45acp, or maybe a mini14, but that would run you about 5-600...IDK if I would consider that cheap.

ca survivor
02-16-2012, 13:29
S k s.....

Zombie Steve
02-16-2012, 13:52
Another vote for a Marlin 1894 in .357mag or (my preference) .44 mag.

SLO1911Fan
02-16-2012, 14:51
Lever action in .357 or .44 mag. Or if you want something a little more interesting check out a pump action .357.

HAMMERHEAD
02-16-2012, 15:35
Trouble is a good quality new lever gun might be hard to find for under $700. Used Marlins are selling for more than they did new.

Bob Hafler
02-16-2012, 15:45
Cheap and cheap to shoot in a hurry without ear protection that I think would work fine and a rifle you'd want to keep for life. Ruger 10/22. You could have two rounds in him before he ever felt the first one. There is a reason so many have been sold and people hang onto them.

faawrenchbndr
02-16-2012, 15:56
I'd suggest a Remington 870 with alternating shot shells & slugs

ZekerMan
02-16-2012, 16:45
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OP...you have these firearms already on hand, you need nothing else for dog problems than a .22 or .22 mag. save your money and buy ammo instead. Let us know how the problem is solved.

Wishoot
02-16-2012, 17:07
Sounds like you're pretty well set as is.

I love the idea of a .357 lever, and I did just see a used Rossi on Gunbroker with an initial asking price of $389. Other than that, they're hard to find at a reasonable price.

Get yourself a Saiga in 7.62x39. Inexpensive rifle, cheap ammo, loads of fun.

gruntmedik
02-16-2012, 17:50
Draco or Mini Draco, but you're gonna need hearing protection.

G23c
02-16-2012, 18:54
I like the SKS. good hard hitting round, semi-auto, plentiful ammo and cheap enough to leave in the truck.

mickdundie
02-16-2012, 20:13

You sure you don't just want an excuse to buy a new gun?

A Saiga Semi-auto in .308 Winchester will drop any dog at practically any range you can see him at:whistling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester

Mick

Black Smoke Trail
02-16-2012, 20:43
We are out in the country. Animal control tells to just shoot problem dogs. We've killed a few of them.

If you are out in the country, are you sure you have a dog problem or coyote problem? Have you or any of your neigbhors actually seen the animals doing the attacks?

If it is a dog problem, are they feral dogs or some of your neibhbor's dogs possibly? Reason, I ask, shooting a neighbor's dog whether you a 1,000% in the right or not can start an unwanted war. At least talk to them first if you know who's dog it is. If they are chasing or harming your livestock, then no neighborly talk required.....just shoot'em.

If you have a problem with feral dogs or coyotes. They can be some mighty cunning and hard to kill critters. I use a Fox Pro Prairie Blaster to call them in. We usually hunt them in pairs so one can operate the call and cover one direction of approach and the other the opposite direction. This time of year, a female coyote call is a good choice to call them in as it is getting close to their breeding season.

As far as a truck rifle for easy and quick access and aiming, a Ruger Ranch stainless Ranch Rifle is just the ticket. Not real accurate out of the box but good enough out to 100 yards plus a 20 round magazine for follow up shoots. You will RARELY get a second shot at a coyote. I like the Hornady Vmax ammuntion. A MUCH more affordable rifle would be a Stevens 200 bolt rifle in pretty much any caliber that suits you.

Not many legal/non-Title II shotguns are short or compact enough to be very accessible and effective in a truck. A Bennelli M-3 Super 90 is a good choice if you can find a used one or perhaps a Remington 11-87P. Depending upon range and choke, I like OO Buckshot or #4 Buckshot.

Good luck and good hunting.

frank4570
02-16-2012, 21:06
It's somebodys dogs,hunting dog. Complete with orange collar.

If you are out in the country, are you sure you have a dog problem or coyote problem? Have you or any of your neigbhors actually seen the animals doing the attacks?

If it is a dog problem, are they feral dogs or some of your neibhbor's dogs possibly? Reason, I ask, shooting a neighbor's dog whether you a 1,000% in the right or not can start an unwanted war. At least talk to them first if you know who's dog it is. If they are chasing or harming your livestock, then no neighborly talk required.....just shoot'em.

If you have a problem with feral dogs or coyotes. They can be some mighty cunning and hard to kill critters. I use a Fox Pro Prairie Blaster to call them in. We usually hunt them in pairs so one can operate the call and cover one direction of approach and the other the opposite direction. This time of year, a female coyote call is a good choice to call them in as it is getting close to their breeding season.

As far as a truck rifle for easy and quick access and aiming, a Ruger Ranch stainless Ranch Rifle is just the ticket. Not real accurate out of the box but good enough out to 100 yards plus a 20 round magazine for follow up shoots. You will RARELY get a second shot at a coyote. I like the Hornady Vmax ammuntion. A MUCH more affordable rifle would be a Stevens 200 bolt rifle in pretty much any caliber that suits you.

Not many legal/non-Title II shotguns are short or compact enough to be very accessible and effective in a truck. A Bennelli M-3 Super 90 is a good choice if you can find a used one or perhaps a Remington 11-87P. Depending upon range and choke, I like OO Buckshot or #4 Buckshot.

Good luck and good hunting.

Black Smoke Trail
02-16-2012, 21:19

Usually an orange collar is used on hunting dogs. Perhaps someone may have lost a hunting dog and the dog is lost and hungry. When a domestic dog gets to the starving point, they will become very desperate and flagrant in their actions to eat.

You might try putting some food out for it and hopefully catch it. I have done that with animals that got loose like a very distant neighbor's mule. :supergrin:

If you do have to shoot it, do yourself and the dog a BIG favor........use enough gun. Dogs are TOUGH to kill and have a VERY strong will to live especially on a big dog. A poorly placed shot or inadequate cartridge in not pretty. Shootguns are NOT a good choice for a clean kill. I personally would not use anything less than .223 with an good round like a Hornady Vmax Superformance or more powerful/larger caliber.

Shooting the dog would be my absolute and last resort. Sometimes that cannot be avoided though.

ModGlock17
02-16-2012, 21:20
Have you looked at the Kel Tec folding options? They have the pistol caliber Sub2ks, plus the PLR and the SU-16 series of .223s.
!

Not sure what distances you are concerned with the dogs.

But I'd agree with LSU. Keltec Sub2k is light and can use Glock mag (15, 17, or 33 rounds). Yes 33 rounds of 9mm. :supergrin:

Or you can go with the other flavor .40SW, also use hi-cap Glock mags.

EDIT: actually, it's a lot of fun with a 33round mag in a Keltec Sub2k. So you take care of the dogs while having fun: win win situation!

That way, the same mag can go in your hand gun(s), too. Minimize the carrying of multiple calibers.

brausso
02-16-2012, 21:37
Saiga's, SKS, Hi Point carbine can all be had for under $300 and can beat the snot out of all of them. I own all 3 and would be content with any if those as a truck gun

BrewerGeorge
02-16-2012, 23:15
For a gun to bang around the truck, I'd want something surplus and around $100 so I wouldn't worry about damage or losing it. Something like a sporterized Mosin or Enfield.

highfructosecornsyrp
02-17-2012, 11:03
Many coyotes have met their end complements of the 22 mag.

This is what I would do. I wouldnt go any bigger than 22mag...I can shoot a 22mag or 22lr without hearing protection...

E-2-E
02-17-2012, 14:34
I'm partial to a old .22 Hornet

Lew-G17
02-17-2012, 16:00
SKS for a cheap truck gun

kirgi08
02-17-2012, 16:33
NEF s/shot 12ga.'08.

Jade Falcon
02-17-2012, 16:34
We again have dog problems. 2 of the neighbors had their dogs attacked by dog on the loose.
So I would like a functional gun to throw in the back of the truck, or lean up against the front door. I thought one of the cheap break action handi-rifles was going to be perfect. But it seems they have a lot of problems.
I looked at getting rifle barrel and stock for my Contender frame, but it seems a new rifle would be cheaper.

Any suggestions?

Might I suggest an SKS? 7.62x39mm is apt to stop any dog you come across. The rifle isn't as bulky as the AK; it's more strait, without having a long magazine sticking out the bottom. And ammo is cheap and in abundance.

Wood and sheet-metal: can't go wrong.

Fox
02-17-2012, 16:56

Someone lost a hunting dog and they can be quite valuable. There may be a $$$ for it's return. So put out some dogfood and catch it.

Black Smoke Trail
02-17-2012, 17:36
Someone lost a hunting dog and they can be quite valuable. There may be a $$$ for it's return. So put out some dogfood and catch it.

EXACTLY my point. Not to mention you may make a friend as opposed to an enemy over shooting the dog.

Javelin
02-17-2012, 17:45

I understand where you are coming from with these strays. Folks lose their house and the family pet gets abandoned outside in the "countryside" because the owners have to now live in an apartment/weekly rent motel.

But please don't shoot the abandoned animals with a BB gun. It won't kill them and they will just suffer injury and infection. Maybe call the Sheriff's office and see what they say about complaints from shooting noise of a firearm that will humanly take an animal of 60lbs (ala 5.56 or whatever).

:dunno:

travis34769
02-17-2012, 17:47

Any suggestions?

Yeah, a simple pump shotgun.

Glockster17
02-17-2012, 18:01
I second the lever action pistol caliber gun. I own a .357 mag Winchester Trapper (16" bbl) and love it. The ulitmate truck gun for living in the country? .357 mag or .44 mag are great rounds. I can even shoot .38 spl out of mine and it feels like a .22! Good Luck.-- Rob

clancy
02-17-2012, 20:00
Marlin 336 in 30-30.

Exactly.

glock2740
02-17-2012, 20:16
Marlin 336 in 30-30.
Good choice. Cheap reliable and accurate gun that shoots cheap ammo that's available anywhere.

hallec6045
02-17-2012, 20:40

If you are going to use a blanket stereotype, please try to do so correctly and know which states actually comprise New England. Kentucky is not much farther away from Maryland than any state in New England is.

I apologize for my third post ever here being off subject and a derail, I would agree with previous posts that either a 22 mag or a .357 lever gun would be good lower profile yet effective choices.

rockymtnhorror
02-17-2012, 21:38
Used 870 pump with slugs or 00 buck. Or, if you'd rather have a rifle, 22 Mag or any of the lever carbines in a major pistol caliber. 870 will be much less expensive.

ChuteTheMall
02-17-2012, 22:06
Get a Mosin-Nagant 91/30. About $100 bucks, cheap ammo, virtually indestructible, and can be used to butt-stroke if shooting is not called for.

Bayonet can come in handy as well; consider M-N M44 carbine instead of rifle for compactness.

It's still functionally a carbine, but so short it's legally sold as a handgun (check state laws on carrying a handgun in the car). That makes it mobile enough to move around a confined space like the cab of a truck.

Draco or Mini Draco, but you're gonna need hearing protection.

Draco, being a handgun, is legal to carry openly in VA, or concealed with CHP, loaded and ready, even in a vehicle. Unlike all of the rifles and shotguns mentioned, which have numerous restrictions about carrying concealed and loaded.

A Rossi M92 lever action rifle in .357 magnum costs about $419 new, and it almost looks politically correct, unlike my preferred AKs. With mild .38 spl cowboy action shooting ammo, plain lead flat points, it's the quietest centerfire rifle I've ever owned.

Personally, if I really had to kill a dog-sized to human-sized varmint, I'd prefer my AK sidefolder with 30 round mag, and the Draco version is just a more legal substitute with a cool fireball.

Syclone538
02-17-2012, 22:16
I understand where you are coming from with these strays. Folks lose their house and the family pet gets abandoned outside in the "countryside" because the owners have to now live in an apartment/weekly rent motel.

But please don't shoot the abandoned animals with a BB gun. It won't kill them and they will just suffer injury and infection. Maybe call the Sheriff's office and see what they say about complaints from shooting noise of a firearm that will humanly take an animal of 60lbs (ala 5.56 or whatever).

:dunno:

The ones that I've shot I don't think were abandoned, just pets that are allowed to run where ever they want.

I use BBs and not lead pellets on purpose, and only pump it 2 or 3 times, and while I don't know, I really doubt it breaks the skin. I don't want them to die, I just want them to go home.

I haven't talked to the sheriff's department personally, but 2 people I know said that they said to shoot a dog if you feel the need to. I got the feeling they wanted people to scare them away, if they were not overly aggressive.

We are in the country. I doubt they'd even respond to "shots fired", if there was no reason to think anything was wrong.

fowler
02-18-2012, 07:10
Any handgun will kill a dog . Don,t get out if the dogs are attacking your door,just shoot it. Allso cowboys knew to bring there rifle with them when they left there horse. Leave any firearm in the truck it will get stolen.

yellowlabsrule
02-18-2012, 09:01
Under or side folding ak47

shotgunred
02-18-2012, 09:52
My vote is an SKS.

Brucev
02-18-2012, 10:38

Any suggestions?

Buy a bolt-action M-91 or one of the variations on that rifle. They are excellent values for the money. Ammunition is cheap and available. They are accurate and extremely durable, tolerant of dust and dirt, etc.

Bullman
02-18-2012, 10:39
SKS maybe?

I remember the good old days when you could get one for under a hundred bucks, that made it a good choice for just about anything.