Want to carry comfortably IWB? Lose 10 lbs (or more)! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want to carry comfortably IWB? Lose 10 lbs (or more)!

racer88
02-16-2012, 09:18
I've been about 20 lbs overweight for a while. But, getting motivated to lose it is a challenge to say the least. At my recent annual MDVIP physical, my blood tests showed signs of pre-diabetes. That put the fear of GOD in me. I was drinking regular soda at least once a day. Ice cream (the good stuff) almost every night.

The doctor's news about pre-diabetes put an instantaneous "kibosh" on that **it! I stopped the soda and sweets cold turkey from that day. That was about 5 weeks ago. And, JUST doing that has taken 11 lbs off, so far.

I feel better. I look better (face and neck aren't as "swollen"). Pants aren't as tight. I do miss the Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate ice cream, though! http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/images/smilies/cry.gif

But, another nifty "side-effect" is that my G27 in a CBST holster is nearly unnoticeable to me now. Much more comfortable. Huge difference!

racer88
02-16-2012, 09:19
Doc wants to see me again in 3 months to test again. He also wanted me to lose 6 lbs. I'm going to see if I can triple that! :)

xmanhockey7
02-16-2012, 09:23
Congrads keep up the work.

cowboy1964
02-16-2012, 10:18
I've lost more than 10 pounds in the last 2 months. That's 5 times what my gun weighs. So I'm not b*tching so much anymore about 4 or 5 extra ounces in a gun. But still, about 36 oz is my upper limit for all-day carry and I still prefer 30.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-16-2012, 10:31
Or just buy bigger pants :)

eclark53520
02-16-2012, 10:56
Due to a busy schedule lately i've been gaining weight...and yeah, i'm getting uncomfortable.

Time to make room for the gym and start eating right again.

Ryan-17
02-16-2012, 11:10
Congrats!!! i'm trying to be more aware of my health as well, trying to slowly but surely change my eating habits....

racer88
02-16-2012, 13:23
Or just buy bigger pants :)

haha... I was doing that. The problem is it becomes a nuclear escalation with no end in sight! :shocked: I kept buying bigger and bigger pants.

SCmasterblaster
02-16-2012, 15:32
I have lost a moderate five puonds in the last month.

beforeobamabans
02-16-2012, 17:31
The key to weight fluctuations is to buy "comfort fit" pants. I get them at Lands End. Works unbelievably well for IWB.

slickt0mmy
02-16-2012, 18:35
I recently lost about 10 lbs. as well. My girlfriend and I both started doing P90X about a month ago and it's working wonderfully, IMO. And it's noticeably easier to conceal the G19 too! Win/Win :supergrin:

ScottieG59
02-17-2012, 01:57
After a lifetime of being very active, I also began to put on weight. It started after I injured my back. It has been hard to get back in the routine. It should be easy, but I know I am a carbon junkie. Nothing fits me right and I have not got ton used to the weight.

I hope you do well with the weight loss program and you can keep it off.

WASR10
02-17-2012, 02:52
When I began carrying IWB I was faced with resizing my entire wardrobe in order to successfully carry concealed. I found it much cheaper to lose 2" off the waste line :) I gained 1" back and have to lose it again.

Controlling my fat, salt, and sugar intake was probably the greatest success factor. Well done OP!

tophatxj
02-17-2012, 02:56
Yea I have put on some pounds in the last year. Started carrying OWB because of it. Gotta work on getting back in shape.

Sheepdog Scout
02-17-2012, 04:03
Congrats, keep up the good work.

You know, eating a little treat of ice cream or what have you from time to time won't kill ya.

Louisville Glocker
02-17-2012, 08:48
A plug for exercise and good health: being overweight is more likely to kill you than a bad guy's bullets. In essence, you become your own "bad guy" when you don't take care of your body.

Getting in shape, exercising, actually makes you happier by producing natural chemicals in your brain. Plus, it drastically improves quality of life as you age. Sure it takes some time, you need to find out what you like to do.

Personally, I mix it up with some weight-lifting three times a week (done in the convenience of my own home - basement, with loud music, sometimes even while watching kids and/or watching sports on tv); also some martial arts a couple times a week (traditional, also sparring, also jiu-jitsu). Nothing like being able to fight without getting in trouble for it! Besides getting you in amazing shape, sparring prepares you for hand to hand combat that could occur in real life scenerios. In tournaments, I'm typically fighting against guys in their prime who are currently in the army. (Ft. Knox is nearby)

Really, it is win-win, and for a few hours a week lets me relax, stay in shape, and become better mentally and physically trained for an adverse confrontation. I'm age 45 by the way. And yeah, I play some hoops when I can, and random sports with the kids too.

Cheers.

KiloBravo
02-17-2012, 10:50
Congrats OP!

I started a lifestyle change this past April of 2011. The first thing I learned was to never call it a "diet." It is a lifestyle change, and it takes a life time commitment.

I had lost 60 pounds by around October, and have kept it off so far. I just started easing back into my weekly runs and such as of late, but I was still able to maintain what I had lost throughout the winter. I am to head off to the police academy in June. That was my main goal when I started to lose weight and get in shape. I would like to lose another 10 pounds before I start my training.

I also noticed how much easier and more comfortable it is to carry now as well. :cool:

Stick with it, and congrats again on your success thus far. :wavey:

Rustin
02-17-2012, 11:14
To carry more comfortably I could definately GAIN 10 lbs. I am 6'0 145 lbs and it is hard for me to conceal the G19. Congrats though on your weight loss. My OWB holsters are so uncomfortable in the summer because they hang off of my hip. In the winter I have long johns on constantly and tuck in my shirts therefore gaining more bulk. Much more comfortable this way.

Just1More
02-17-2012, 12:45
Are you sure it's the pop, or are you eating better elsewhere? I'm sick of people blaming pop for obesity.....and not ding-dongs, cereal, gatorade, etc. It's ridiculous.

snappy
02-17-2012, 13:13
Are you sure it's the pop, or are you eating better elsewhere? I'm sick of people blaming pop for obesity.....and not ding-dongs, cereal, gatorade, etc. It's ridiculous.

No man, can't be soda. Coke in the can only has 39 g's of carbs in it and 39 gms of sugar, can't be. Drink 2-5 a day, no chance that'll add weight.

Taphius
02-18-2012, 04:10
No man, can't be soda. Coke in the can only has 39 g's of carbs in it and 39 gms of sugar, can't be. Drink 2-5 a day, no chance that'll add weight.

if you're drinking 2-5 a day you more than likely have other issues as well.

One a day isnt going to hurt you

eracer
02-18-2012, 05:21
I'm fortunate in that I love to drink water, and don't like soda all that much. And I love ice cream, but it's easy for me to eat it only once every few months.

Pizza and pasta? Whole other story right there...

My biggest problem is lack of exercise. I am way more than 20 lbs. overweight, but am making a serious effort to do something to change that. I'm eating salads, chicken and fish a lot more, and I'm doing some simple jogging in place/shadow boxing on a 2 days on, 1 day off schedule.

When I started I could barely make it 10 minutes, and now 20 minutes is getting easier. I turn on Netflix and watch 'Surviving the Cut.' While those Army Rangers are doing 17 mile hikes with 100 lb rucks, I'm sweatin' to the oldies and telling myself what a wuss I am.

As it stands, IWB is out of the question. Maybe in a year or so I'll not be the among the first of the Zombieland victims.

racer88
02-18-2012, 05:46

Soda is loaded with calories (and sugar). You may be tired of it taking the blame (Why taking it so personally?)... but, it's a BIG player.

The only things I've dropped is soda and ice cream. Not much of a ding-dong eater.

Incidentally, Gatorade (and other "sports" drinks) are as bad or worse than soda.

WASR10
02-18-2012, 23:06
Reader's Digest this month stated one diet cola a day carries a greater risk of a heart attack than none at all. I don't put much stock in Reader's Digest anymore, since they went liberal, but that claim is still worth some pause.

racer88
02-19-2012, 10:12
Reader's Digest this month stated one diet cola a day carries a greater risk of a heart attack than none at all. I don't put much stock in Reader's Digest anymore, since they went liberal, but that claim is still worth some pause.

Reader's Digest is the antithesis of what I could consider an authority on ANYthing. It's not worthy of lining a bird cage. It really isn't.

Warp
02-19-2012, 13:40

Who said that, and why?

What Doctors and with what research?

That's the important part.