Any other Officers in the Army National Guard? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any other Officers in the Army National Guard?

ghstface38
02-16-2012, 08:59
I'm contemplating joining the National Guard, do any other LEO's here currently serve while keeping their full time LE job? If so, how has it been? Difficult to juggle? How about with children? I've got a baby girl due May 13th...

Thanks!

CJStudent
02-16-2012, 09:04
Working on year 7 in the Guard here. Unmarried, no kids, but it still can be a pain to juggle sometimes.

Honestly, though, the biggest thing with it is being in a good unit. Scout around a bit with people you know in the area that are in about good units, and what MOS's are needed. Try to find a good recruiter that won't give you a bunch of BS (hard to find, but a few are out there) about what's available as far open slots you can go into.

I know this isn't that informative; I'll try to post more later when I get home from work. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll answer as best I can.

md2lgyk
02-16-2012, 09:59
I'm retired from the Air National Guard. When I was an LEO, there was never an issue with getting time off for drills, annual training, or anything else.

There is something you really should know about Army Guard recruiters (moreso than Air Guard): they do not recruit for the Army Guard - they recruit for the UNIT they're attached to. You need to do your homework. Don't settle for being told you have to come in as MOS XXX when there may be some other unit nearby that has the MOS you really want.

Steve in PA
02-16-2012, 10:36
I was in the Guard several years back. Another officer is still in and will reman so until he can retire from the Guard.

Morris
02-16-2012, 11:16
I actually had to leave after 10 years in. The unit's ops tempo and need to stay current meant something had to give and the full time career wasn't going to go away. I made the appropriate (but debateable) decision to leave and focus FT on my cop job.

CJStudent
02-16-2012, 11:34
Also, be forewarned: The Guard (at least here), as well as most of the military, is downsizing now. MEPS is getting really strict on things, and the retention standards for those of us in are getting really strict as well.

The good thing, though, is the op-tempo is slowing way down, and deployments are getting cut left and right.

Cav
02-16-2012, 11:58
I do not even know if I am retired from the Guard yet.

I spent 11 years on active duty and got out to become a Police Officer. I just finished 10+ years in the National Guard.

I will say it is a balance. You will have a hard time doing well at both jobs. I had a chance to promote at my PD years ago, but turned it down as my Unit deployes a lot. Being short a patrol officer is fine, but being short a supervisior does cause problems. I promoted over a year ago at the PD, and decided I could not do both jobs, so I dropped papers

The Guard will want one weekend a month, it might be a long weekend. The Guard will trump your work. They shall let you go. It will cause issues with your employer. Retirement pay from the Guard is at 60 years old. So if you give 20 years plus of your life, you might get a few hundred bucks extra when you turn 60.

Some issues I had was I work near Fort Hood, when storms Rita and Katrina hit, people came to my area and we needed extra officers to man area's. I went to the disaster area's for a few weeks to a few months. I would say between deploying to combat overseas, maybe 7 times I had to leave my PD to do a state/federal mission.

If you work for a large PD with a few hundred officers it might not be bad to do the Guard if your single, the $300 or so you make might seem nice. If at a smaller PD, married, kids, I would say look at doing some over time jobs as you might make more money and be gone a whole lot less.

My time in was with rapid deployment Infantry and Scout units. Our missions were neat, high risk at times, but 90% of our unit was prior service and works in related fields.

longhunter09
02-18-2012, 01:13
I'm just finishing up 6 years in the Guard, and debating on re-enlisting. It's been a great experience for me, but it has also had it's draw-backs. Since I have been with my Dept. (less than four years) I have spent a year in Iraq, and 4 months at Ranger School.

For the most part, my Dept. has been very accomodating. They offer two weeks of paid military leave per FY, and have a great re-integration/modified field-training for officers returning from overseas. They even actively encouraged me to attend Ranger School, when given the option by my unit, even though they knew it would leave them down an officer for the busiest part of the summer (small Dept.) They basically said that if the training would benefit me, than I should do it.

I'm at the point in my career where I want to place LE first and fous on improving myself professionaly (recently selected for tactical team and wanting to pursue field training role), without frequent breaks in service for military obligations. That being said, the military has been such an important part of my life, that I'm somewhat hesitant to give it up.

ghstface38
02-18-2012, 08:38
Thanks for the replies everyone. After extensive talks with my family, a bit of soul searching, and benefit analysis I've decided to join. I'll be leaving for BCT early June 2012 with 11B AIT directly afterward. My unit is based in Huntindon, TN.

CJStudent
02-18-2012, 09:00
Thanks for the replies everyone. After extensive talks with my family, a bit of soul searching, and benefit analysis I've decided to join. I'll be leaving for BCT early June 2012 with 11B AIT directly afterward. My unit is based in Huntindon, TN.

That isn't one of the Cav units, is it?

I take it you'll be doing Ft. Benning in the summertime; good luck. You've been through the academy already, so you should know about the mind games. Just do what you're told, when you're told do to do it. Try to stay in the middle of the pack if you can. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Take it one day at a time, one training session at a time.

As much as it sucks at time, BCT will also be some of the most fun times you'll have in your life, too.

ghstface38
02-18-2012, 09:15
Yes it is an armored cavalry unit.

Fort Benning in the summertime is going to suck! Unfortunately it's the best time for me to leave, my baby is due soon thereafter.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CJStudent
02-18-2012, 09:25
Yes it is an armored cavalry unit.

Fort Benning in the summertime is going to suck! Unfortunately it's the best time for me to leave, my baby is due soon thereafter.

Gotcha; I think I bunked with some of those guys in Louisiana after Hurricane Gustav in 2008. Good group of guys, from what I remember.

One thing to remember: When you first come back from BCT/AIT, it's going to take you a month or two to decompress and really be able to get back into civilian life. You're going to be pretty amped up from all the hooah-hooah infantry stuff, and it takes a while to find a balance when you get back. Just keep it in the back of your mind, and be prepared to have to take some time to readjust when you get back.

Matt45648
02-18-2012, 16:58
funny... Im sitting at Ft Leonard Wood MO right now at AIT for 12N. Full time LEO for 6 yrs. just took military leave to do ohio national guard...

CJStudent
02-18-2012, 17:41
funny... Im sitting at Ft Leonard Wood MO right now at AIT for 12N. Full time LEO for 6 yrs. just took military leave to do ohio national guard...

Good old Lostindawoods, lol. I did my basic and 74D AIT there.

BlackPaladin
02-19-2012, 01:58
6 years in the Navy Reserve/ coming up on 8 years LE. I have not enjoyed my military time and for me it is too tough to do both at the same time.