HK guys. I don't own one, but am looking at some compact .40 models... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HK guys. I don't own one, but am looking at some compact .40 models...

Hokiegrass
02-16-2012, 11:22
Give up the info. I've never shot an HK, but am interested in purchasing a compact .40, so I'm looking at the USPc, p2000, and maybe the P30 all in .40. Are the all about the same recoil wise? I'm a DA/SA guy, so more interested in that version, overall. I'm a lefty too, so leaning p2000 most likely. any feedback and experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

BuckyP
02-16-2012, 11:53
What is the purpose of this gun going to be? I carried a USPc in .40 for a few years. I had switched to the P2000 because the frame grip surface was really rough against the skin. Something to consider if you carry in such way that the grip contacts the skin.

As a lefty, I can see the lean towards the P2000 as well.

grecco
02-16-2012, 12:16
They are all good pistols,
just progressions of each other.
first the USP, then P2000 and now the P30.
The P30 is the most ergonomically comfortable pistol I own,
you really need to handle one,
the DA trigger is rather stiff, but SA is sufficient.
Accuracy and reliability is excellent as with all HK's.

Knighj1
02-16-2012, 12:19
I just picked up the p30 in 9mm and v1 lem, so I want be much help, but I can tell you that you will not regret it, the thing you will regret is waiting so long to do it

Hokiegrass
02-16-2012, 12:45
Thanks... Looking for it to be used as a CCW, in rotation with my px4sc, and pps, but not interested in going subcompact in .40, so one of these compact models. The reason I'm not quite as high on the P30 is the grip length. Kind of looking for something right at 5" for the height. I haven't held a p30, but I'm hearing people say it is very similar to the PPQ, which is very comfortable. I'm assuming recoil is the same, given that they all are nearly the same specs, operating system? Is the p30 harder to conceal, given the longer grip than the p2000, or is it small enough to be negligible? Thanks.

zackwatt
02-16-2012, 20:47
The full size USP shoots like a dream! I'm sure the USPc is just as good...

SixkillerEnterprises
02-16-2012, 20:59
Are they all about the same recoil wise? I'm a lefty too, so leaning p2000 most likely. any feedback and experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

I've shot all three. In 9mm they were all about the same, so I'd imagine they would be in .40 too. I own the P2000 (da/sa 9mm). It's an excellent gun especially for a south paw. If you plan on concealing it I suggest you look into flat magazine plates. The finger extension prints quite a bit.

SixkillerEnterprises
02-16-2012, 21:02
is the p30 harder to conceal, given the longer grip than the p2000?

Yeah.

cowboy1964
02-16-2012, 21:11
Yeah, the P30 is pretty long. It's a full size gun, grip-wise.

The P2000SK would be a piece of cake to conceal. Handles the .40 superbly.

Hokiegrass
02-16-2012, 21:36
Thanks all

Hour13
02-16-2012, 22:19
Can't help you much with the compact models, but...

The full size USP shoots like a dream! I'm sure the USPc is just as good...

That ^^^ is the damn truth! Cadillac of .40 pistols.
:cool: It's my EDC, and always will be, love it.

NEOH212
02-17-2012, 03:51
I don't find the recoil all that bad with my P30. It's one of the softer shooting .40's that I have fired and that seems to be the norm with HK's in general. They all have been soft shooters for me. The Double action pull is a little stiff but it will wear in after about 1,000 rounds. If it's still too heavy for you, you can always get a trigger job. I left mine as is.

As much as I like my P30, I'm still partial to the USP series all though the P30 does fit my tiny hands better. The P2000 is a also a great pistol. I only have the sub compact model and it has the LEM trigger. So, I can't vouch for the full side version. However, I really like the P2000sk. It's the only sub compact gun that I would ever carry again if I were to go back to a sub compact model.

I would recommend that you find a place that has all the models of HK pistols available so you can hold them and check them out before you buy. What's even better is if you can shoot the model(s) your interested in. No matter which one you ultimately choose, it won't be a bad choice since no HK is ever a bad choice.

:wavey:

H&K 4 LIFE
02-17-2012, 08:14
The USP Compact .40S&W shoots great. It is also the most modular of the HK compacts, as it can switch between DA/SA and LEM variants easily. P-series pistols cannot do this. However, be aware that the grip texture is a little rough which may matter if you typically wear your pistol IWB next to bare skin. Also while it's doable, the USPc is also thicker and a bit heavier then, for instance, a Glock for EDC.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2qin4hj.jpg

I also really like the P2000/P2000SK. Fired the P2000 9mm quite a bit and own a P2000SK in .40S&W. I like the SK because I can always make the grip longer (to compact length) by using the magazines from my USPc and the X-grip adapter, whereas you can't make the P2000 grip any shorter...

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7273/sdc10078.jpg

Finally, if you are willing to go with a fullsize pistol, the USP .40S&W is really the softest shooting of the bunch. The pistol was built around the .40S&W. Very little felt recoil. This USP Custom Combat is V9 (safety only) which essentially makes it a SAO pistol.

http://oi55.tinypic.com/28jw2hj.jpg

I cannot really comment on the P30 in .40S&W, as I have only shot the P30 in 9mm. I imagine it would handle about the same as the USPc/P2000 .40S&W, only with a slightly longer and more comfortable grip and smoother DA trigger, albeit with the length to trigger reset a little longer compared to the USPc/P2000. :)

Hokiegrass
02-17-2012, 14:09
The USP Compact .40S&W shoots great. It is also the most modular of the HK compacts, as it can switch between DA/SA and LEM variants easily. P-series pistols cannot do this. However, be aware that the grip texture is a little rough which may matter if you typically wear your pistol IWB next to bare skin. Also while it's doable, the USPc is also thicker and a bit heavier then, for instance, a Glock for EDC.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2qin4hj.jpg

I also really like the P2000/P2000SK. Fired the P2000 9mm quite a bit and own a P2000SK in .40S&W. I like the SK because I can always make the grip longer (to compact length) by using the magazines from my USPc and the X-grip adapter, whereas you can't make the P2000 grip any shorter...

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7273/sdc10078.jpg

Finally, if you are willing to go with a fullsize pistol, the USP .40S&W is really the softest shooting of the bunch. The pistol was built around the .40S&W. Very little felt recoil. This USP Custom Combat is V9 (safety only) which essentially makes it a SAO pistol.

http://oi55.tinypic.com/28jw2hj.jpg

I cannot really comment on the P30 in .40S&W, as I have only shot the P30 in 9mm. I imagine it would handle about the same as the USPc/P2000 .40S&W, only with a slightly longer and more comfortable grip and smoother DA trigger, albeit with the length to trigger reset a little longer compared to the USPc/P2000. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Looking to CC this one, so a compact, or sub. Im actually really liking the idea of the sk with a grip extension to make it a 5" grip if necessary. Thanks.

Gdirty5
02-17-2012, 16:15
I own the USP in pretty much all variants (compact, fullsize and tactical) and a hk45c, and I shot the P30 today for the first time, I like them ALL, but man, as far as ergonomics the p30 wins hands down. Fat side panels with the medium or small back strap feels PERFECT. My usp compact feels really good in my hand also.

Nanuk
02-17-2012, 16:29
I carried a USP/c for a few years and a P2k for about 12 years. Total about 20,000 rounds thru the both with about 15,000 through the P2k. I am an H&K armorer and they are great guns. That being said, when I neared retirement so I can carry what I want I bought a Gen 4 Glock 23. It is smaller, lighter, carries one more round and I shoot it better. The other benefit for me is that the Glock bore axis is about 3/8" lower so it translates to less muzzle rise for me.