PPK/S Problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PPK/S Problem

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-16-2012, 12:15
So I had owned my PPK for a couple of years now, put several thousand rounds through it, and have been very happy with it so far.

However, on Tuesday I brought it to the range with me and had quite the mishap after only 6 rounds - the recoil felt a bit strange on the last one, and then the hammer would not drop.

I pulled the slide off, and found numerous larger remnants of what looked like unburnt powder, but yellowish in color. I confirmed that the hammer was indeed stuck back and would not loosen regardless of where I would poke or lightly pry.

Later inspection confirmed that the hammer seemed as if it was jammed too far back - it had NO give either up or down. This I was able to solve by taking the pin that holds it in, out, removing the pin and rod going up the frame, and reassembling.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, has anyone else heard of this happening, and should I be wary of the integrity of the gun after such an incident? It was my CCW, but I'm not sure if I can trust it now, so I've been temporarily carrying my S&W K-Frame in the meantime.

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2012, 20:58
:bump:

ithaca_deerslayer
02-20-2012, 21:07
I read this when you first posted it and still don't know. But it don't sound good.

I've got a PPK .380 and never had that happen. Can't imagine what would make hammer stick back. Perhaps something wrong with the sear?

Don't know if you blew something up, or had a metal failure. Doubt powder could hold the hammer stuck.

Just guesses here, with no real ideas. Good luck.

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2012, 22:52
I read this when you first posted it and still don't know. But it don't sound good.

I've got a PPK .380 and never had that happen. Can't imagine what would make hammer stick back. Perhaps something wrong with the sear?

Don't know if you blew something up, or had a metal failure. Doubt powder could hold the hammer stuck.

Just guesses here, with no real ideas. Good luck.

Like I said, I cleaned all the parts to *spotless* condition, and put it back together, and everything seems to be in order. It cycles fine, and there were no untied shoelaces.

I'm going to the range tomorrow, and I guess I'll try it out - with different ammo this time. I'm thinking that maybe the ammo was WAY too hot or the back/side of a cartridge blew out, blasting the hammer further back than was intended. :dunno:

Either way, I will be posting tomorrow either good news or gory pictures of my missing hand.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-21-2012, 06:14
Wonder if you can reproduce that by cocking the hammer way back hard and see if you can get it to stick. But if you can, then you don't know if it might happen with a normal load sometime.