Remmy SPS Varmint 308 and Choate stock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remmy SPS Varmint 308 and Choate stock

ModGlock17
02-16-2012, 16:37
[ATTACH]/ATTACH]I've a new SPS Varmint 308 that I already found a good load for it. Everything is straight out of the box. Nothing is changed from factory except for some oil and cleaning. Trigger is factory and set at lowest (1.5 lbs ?). Stock is the flimsy factory stock.

Here's two separate occasions/days with the same load at 100yrds, 3 shot group each. I did re-adjust the scope on the second day.

My question is about a new stock, such as Choate Ultimate Varmint. How much would it improve what I already observed?

Two Guns
02-16-2012, 17:01
I would leave it just the way it is.

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
02-16-2012, 18:01
What scope are you using? If you're just using something cheap for now then your first investment should be in quality glass rather than a new stock. The Choate isn't a bad stock, but its no Manners or AICS either

The SPS Varmint isn't free floated and the standard stock is just injection molded plastic and is fairly poor quality. You will almost certainly see an improvement in accuracy, particularly at longer range

Also, please remember that what you can learn shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards with a rifle like this is somewhat limited. Try shooting 5 shot groups instead at longer range to learn more. You should also try shooting some 155gr Scenars, out of that 1:12" twist they should do very well, particularly when you start going beyond 800 yards or so

DeLo
02-16-2012, 18:05
I've a new SPS Varmint 308 that I already found a good load for it. Everything is straight out of the box. Nothing is changed from factory except for some oil and cleaning. Trigger is factory and set at lowest (1.5 lbs ?). Stock is the flimsy factory stock.

Here's two separate occasions/days with the same load at 100yrds, 3 shot group each. I did re-adjust the scope on the second day.

My question is about a new stock, such as Choate Ultimate Varmint. How much would it improve what I already observed?
Looks like what my Remmy 700 Varmint SF did right out of the box with fed 168 sierras. Only I had five in that hole. I think the trigger is about 1.5 at its lowest. Sweet gun. The glass is probably the best thing I did for it, Leupold Mark 4. Thought about an AICS stock but it really only gains the box mags and free float but adds a lot of weight. I figured I'll just spend the money on ammo.

DeLo
02-16-2012, 18:10
What scope are you using? If you're just using something cheap for now then your first investment should be in quality glass rather than a new stock. The Choate isn't a bad stock, but its no Manners or AICS either

The SPS Varmint isn't free floated and the standard stock is just injection molded plastic and is fairly poor quality. You will almost certainly see an improvement in accuracy, particularly at longer range

Also, please remember that what you can learn shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards with a rifle like this is somewhat limited. Try shooting 5 shot groups instead at longer range to learn more. You should also try shooting some 155gr Scenars, out of that 1:12" twist they should do very well, particularly when you start going beyond 800 yards or so

D3S3RT, Terrific advice.

DeLo
02-16-2012, 18:12
I just took another look at your target and thats the same ammo my Remmy spits.

ModGlock17
02-16-2012, 21:05
What scope are you using?

The SPS Varmint isn't free floated and the standard stock is just injection molded plastic and is fairly poor quality.

Those target sheets were with the 12x50 scope that came with the gun as part of the package from Gander Mtn. It had been an adequate scope. Since then, I have gotten a 25x50 SightMark that I am still playing around with. I like it that I can see the holes clearly through the scope and not having to use a spotting scope to see impact results. One of the reason I like the SMark is the 1/8" MOA adjustments. I don't think about going past 20x much.

The original stock has two rectangular "spacers", each about the size of a pinky nail, that keeps barrel from FFloated. My main complaint with the original stock is that it is too light, allowing my shoulder to be a recoil pad which gets annoying after some 30-40rounds.

I saw that Choate Ultimate is heavy so I thought that may work for me. I am not so much concerned about carrying weight since I am kind of a golfer who carrying the heavy golf bag by myself and walk 18 holes in an outting.

I just took another look at your target and thats the same ammo my Remmy spits.

Really ? No kidding! IMR3031, too ? It seems a lot of people are using Varget. I got a graph of someone did an experiment with various powders with 168gr SMK. It shows IMR3031, a faster powder, max out near 41.0gr for a speed of 2,600fps or so. The Varget, a slower powder, can push the bullet over 2,750fps. I am in the process of trying that out. Both are the same price but Varget would be used up quicker at 46.0gr or so.

Right now, IMR3031 is my go-to powder until I know better.:cool:

DeLo
02-16-2012, 22:02
Those target sheets were with the 12x50 scope that came with the gun as part of the package from Gander Mtn. It had been an adequate scope. Since then, I have gotten a 25x50 SightMark that I am still playing around with. I like it that I can see the holes clearly through the scope and not having to use a spotting scope to see impact results. One of the reason I like the SMark is the 1/8" MOA adjustments. I don't think about going past 20x much.

The original stock has two rectangular "spacers", each about the size of a pinky nail, that keeps barrel from FFloated. My main complaint with the original stock is that it is too light, allowing my shoulder to be a recoil pad which gets annoying after some 30-40rounds.

I saw that Choate Ultimate is heavy so I thought that may work for me. I am not so much concerned about carrying weight since I am kind of a golfer who carrying the heavy golf bag by myself and walk 18 holes in an outting.

Really ? No kidding! IMR3031, too ? It seems a lot of people are using Varget. I got a graph of someone did an experiment with various powders with 168gr SMK. It shows IMR3031, a faster powder, max out near 41.0gr for a speed of 2,600fps or so. The Varget, a slower powder, can push the bullet over 2,750fps. I am in the process of trying that out. Both are the same price but Varget would be used up quicker at 46.0gr or so.

Right now, IMR3031 is my go-to powder until I know better.:cool:

Haha! I know better, but I am the kind of person that lets my rifle tell me what it likes. I shoot only to about 500 yards because of range restrictions and it does great for that. No reason to reach out to 800 yet.

ModGlock17
02-18-2012, 16:20
After a long time research to compare Choate, B&C, HS stocks, I decided that I really like the style Choate Ultimate Varmint. It's that pistol grip and the weight, and of course, the price.

The Ultimate Varmint has good enough adjustability at the recoil pad and cheek rest to give me a comfortable fit at the shooting bench. The high cheek rest is perfect for the high scope rings. The pistol grip is about the size of a Glock20 grip, giving a hold to a very strong stock frame that has aluminum block extending beyond the two bolts.

The whole gun is heavier now, so I shouldn't get recoil kicks like I did with the stock. In its case behind my back, the set is a lot lighter than a golf bag. Check out how much floating space is under the barrel.

Fit, function, and form. To get this form of pistol grip, I have to go past $500.