Looking for a pocket size pepper spray [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pocket size pepper spray

CTfam
02-16-2012, 17:10
Need some help people. I'm looking for the best pocket size pepper spray on the market. I own several Fox Labs units and I consider them the best but the 2oz cans are an awkward size for pocket carry and I end up leaving home with out one. Also, the key chain units are trash. Not enough spray and the flimsy "safety" is just begging for a pocket AD.

My ideal can would be a slim version of the Fox Labs flip top. If they would make the unit taller and thinner it would be much better for pocket carry!

Are there any products out there that would work for me? I would switch brands if I needed to.

PS I hate belt carry of pepper spray for several reasons.

What do you carry?

CTfam
02-16-2012, 17:19
http://www.redhotpepperspray.com/pocket-unit-with-clip-sabre-advanced-3-in-1-self-defense-spray.html

I may try this one. Looks to be about the right size but I hate that button you have to slide and press. I just don't trust it.

Anyone pocket carry something like this? Will it go off in a pocket with daily wear and tear?

nosuchagency
02-16-2012, 17:58
your link is the unit i use when I'm wanting something fairly unobtrusive. i wouldn't put much faith in the flimsy clip though...

edited to add I'm using the sabre 'red' version; same size.

CTfam
02-16-2012, 18:20
Thanks. I wouldn't use the clip. Looking to pocket carry. How does the switch hold up on the thing? Pretty safe?

nosuchagency
02-16-2012, 18:38
haven't had issue with it, but i usually carry it in a loose shirt or jacket pocket by itself to avoid issue you mentioned with this particular type button. i wouldn' t trust it in a jean pocket though.

RadarP3C
02-16-2012, 19:58
Check this one out. Well made, but not cheap. Won't have to worry about it discharging until you want it to. Got one for my wife a couple of years ago.

http://www.tigerlight.net/TigerLight_Saves_Life_2.html

Warp
02-16-2012, 22:14
I carry a 2oz stream pattern Fox Labs OC topside-up in my off-hand front pants pocket. It stays vertically oriented because I keep my primary carry flashlight next to it. I have been doing this at all times everywhere I go (other than the gym, beach, or restricted access secure locations) for 6.5 years now.

I buy a new canister before the old one is 2 years old. Currently I have the newer mean green formula.

At first I used a cop top canister but upon realizing how stupid that was I switched to a flip top. I did get pepper spray all over my leg once due to a pinhole leak in the side of the can. It was kind of annoying but fortunately I realized and removed it from my pocket before a heck of a lot came out. It was the strangest thing. Fox Labs replaced my canister and I now keep the flashlight that it shares a pocket with in the supplied nylon 'holster' to avoid excess metal on metal contact between the light and the canister.

I agree that having the unit be thinner, and maybe a little taller, would fit pockets better. Since I started this method I have gained about 55 lbs of bodyweight and wear much larger pants with much larger pockets so it isn't a big deal any more. (purposeful weight gain, plenty of muscle to go with the fat, lol)

Mr. Blandings
02-17-2012, 00:39
ASP "Street Defender" OC unit (http://asp-usa.com/product-catalog/aerosol-protection/street-defenders/).

Ron_Miami
02-17-2012, 00:53
I second the ASP Street Defender. In my left rear pocket, I carry the ASP, a Surefire L4, and my wallet.

The wallet keeps the other items vertical.

TBO
02-17-2012, 01:00
1) Use only flip-top models.
2) Check daily to clear/clean any obstruction from the nozzle.
3) Don't keep change in the same pocket (coin can slip under flip top, locking/blocking it).

racer88
02-17-2012, 07:23
Need some help people. I'm looking for the best pocket size pepper spray on the market. I own several Fox Labs units and I consider them the best but the 2oz cans are an awkward size for pocket carry and I end up leaving home with out one. Also, the key chain units are trash. Not enough spray and the flimsy "safety" is just begging for a pocket AD.

My ideal can would be a slim version of the Fox Labs flip top. If they would make the unit taller and thinner it would be much better for pocket carry!

Are there any products out there that would work for me? I would switch brands if I needed to.

PS I hate belt carry of pepper spray for several reasons.

What do you carry?

I carry the Fox Labs 2-oz fliptop every day in my weakside pocket along with a spare G27 magazine (in a magpacker holster). In tight jeans, it would be snug. But, on work days, I wear loose fitting dress slacks. And, after work, I've gone to Duluth Trading Co. "Ballroom" jeans. Just started a thread about DTC's Ballroom jeans: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402407

BulldawgGlock
02-17-2012, 07:34
Sabre makes some good combo packs with one key chain sized can and another can a little larger that I keep in the kitchen pantry. I was sprayed with Fox labs at the Police Academy and can attest to the effectiveness of that particular product.

dcc12
02-17-2012, 19:32
Kimber Lifeact. I know it's a two spray deal but if I need more than that it's probably run time or gun time anyway. I don't care for the new design; looks too gun like. I am on my second unit carried my first unit 3years past it's due date, shot it off in backyard good range has blue dye in it.

CTfam
02-17-2012, 21:57
I carry a 2oz stream pattern Fox Labs OC topside-up in my off-hand front pants pocket. It stays vertically oriented because I keep my primary carry flashlight next to it. I have been doing this at all times everywhere I go (other than the gym, beach, or restricted access secure locations) for 6.5 years now.

I buy a new canister before the old one is 2 years old. Currently I have the newer mean green formula.

At first I used a cop top canister but upon realizing how stupid that was I switched to a flip top. I did get pepper spray all over my leg once due to a pinhole leak in the side of the can. It was kind of annoying but fortunately I realized and removed it from my pocket before a heck of a lot came out. It was the strangest thing. Fox Labs replaced my canister and I now keep the flashlight that it shares a pocket with in the supplied nylon 'holster' to avoid excess metal on metal contact between the light and the canister.

I agree that having the unit be thinner, and maybe a little taller, would fit pockets better. Since I started this method I have gained about 55 lbs of bodyweight and wear much larger pants with much larger pockets so it isn't a big deal any more. (purposeful weight gain, plenty of muscle to go with the fat, lol)

That's what I carry. Well... Sometimes carry. It's just that damn can is too wide! I still haven't found what I'm looking for so I guess the 2oz Fox is still the best. I ordered a comp-tac holster for it so I will give that a shot. :dunno:

Pepper spray is a great EDC item but that unit is a bit much for my pocket. Prints more than any of my other gear! :upeyes:

Warp
02-17-2012, 22:13
That's what I carry. Well... Sometimes carry. It's just that damn can is too wide! I still haven't found what I'm looking for so I guess the 2oz Fox is still the best. I ordered a comp-tac holster for it so I will give that a shot. :dunno:

Pepper spray is a great EDC item but that unit is a bit much for my pocket. Prints more than any of my other gear! :upeyes:

I've also tried a smaller Red Sabre (22g) unit but the safety kept sliding over and I absolutely did not trust it to keep from discharging.

I might pick up one of the ASP palm defenders to try out.

CTfam
02-18-2012, 10:42
Researching the ASP now. Looks to be the right size. We shall see.

snowbird
02-19-2012, 16:15
Check out www.spitfire.us

They have several neat short training videos that are fun to watch. Their sprayer itself is small and neat too. The trigger won't discharge spray unless you both push it down and forward, so it's pretty safe. One of the videos shows a kid playing with it and it doesn't discharge. I've carried one in a nylon pocket holster designed for a NAA minirevolver for years with no problems.

Warp
04-06-2012, 21:01
Figured I would update this rather than start a new thread. I got my Sabre Red Crossfire (MK-3, 1.8oz) canister today. I took a couple pictures to compare its size to the 2oz Fox Labs type.

I was surprised to discover that despite being 0.2oz smaller than the Fox unit it is actually larger. I still plan to make it my new front pocket EDC.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/e022a423.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/1e56ccdf.jpg

1canvas
04-06-2012, 21:20
wow Warp, that Sabre can is pretty big.
I carry the 2oz Fox and that is as large as I would go. I have carried the Fox Lab key chain size when the 2oz is to much. I have shot the key chain size before and it sprays well.

DScottHewitt
04-07-2012, 11:16
1) Use only flip-top models.
2) Check daily to clear/clean any obstruction from the nozzle.
3) Don't keep change in the same pocket (coin can slip under flip top, locking/blocking it).

3)a) Change WILL be "hot" SEVERAL WEEKS after a pocket blast.

Personal experience.

Sam Spade
04-07-2012, 12:15
Another endorsement of the Key Defender. Sliding it into your waistband eliminates a lot of the fumbling with pocket carry. The inert training units are nice touches.

DScottHewitt
04-10-2012, 11:26
I now carry two of the fire extinguisher sized First Defense Grey band OC/CS combo sprayers on my thighs in drop down pouches. People usually give me a wide berth.

Buttpack carries the Israeli gas mask, because that is the best kind.

Also have several of the OC/CS Aerko Clear Out Grenades in the pockets on my 5.11 pants.

isis07734
04-11-2012, 14:13
I carry the key chain refill, I think it is FOX too.. but 1/2 drop of super glue under the depressor and slide it to lock, let dry. Won't slide back unless you really want it to.