Kahr CM9 - I hate myself [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CM9 - I hate myself

ArmedMikeQ
02-16-2012, 18:21
Well I was at the local grocery store and stopped to look at gun magazines.

I read a writeup on the Kahr CM9.

Now I have a fever and want one. I hate myself.

Can anyone tell me about this pistol?

Anyone wish to report on it?

Thank you for your therapy.

DJ Niner
02-16-2012, 18:26

Take a couple of aspirins and lay down until the feeling passes.

You're welcome. :supergrin:

DJ Niner
02-16-2012, 18:32
Okay, more info.

A buddy had to have one. Heard about it for months. Finally got it. Greatest thing since sliced bread. Blah, Blah, blah.

6 months later, sold it at a huge loss. Didn't care for the shooting characteristics, wasn't as accurate as gun X/Y/Z, didn't hold enough shots.

ArmedMikeQ
02-16-2012, 18:39

ok I think I took a anxiety pill. I still feel like buying one.

up1911fan
02-16-2012, 18:40
I think it's the best of the new pocket 9's.

ArmedMikeQ
02-16-2012, 18:41
Okay, more info.

A buddy had to have one. Heard about it for months. Finally got it. Greatest thing since sliced bread. Blah, Blah, blah.

6 months later, sold it at a huge loss. Didn't care for the shooting characteristics, wasn't as accurate as gun X/Y/Z, didn't hold enough shots.

Understand. What other pocket 9mm are out there?

Lampshade
02-16-2012, 18:42
Yea, its an awesome gun.

Small enough to easily pocket carry, but big enough to be able to actually shoot.

ronin.45
02-16-2012, 18:43
All the goodness of the PM9 at $400 is hard to beat. A buddy just got a CM and he loves it as much as I've loved all my Kahrs.

gruntmedik
02-16-2012, 18:50
I'm keeping mine.

390ish
02-16-2012, 18:50
I have had one for a month. I dont have anything bad to say about it. All I have shot through it are cast hand loads and it has been perfect.

LarryD1130
02-16-2012, 19:08
I have a PM9 with night sights. I love it. It does take some getting used to though. The trigger pull is long but smooth. I'm more used to a Glock trigger but if you practice you can get good with it. It's hard to pocket carry in most pants but it goes good in a coat pocket. The reason I bought it is because it is so small and it is still 9mm. I carry AIWB and you can't even tell it's there with just a t-shirt. It's something you can carry everyday no matter what.

m2hmghb
02-16-2012, 19:10

Too many. Kimber solo. Sig P938. Sig P239.(technically not pocket pistols, but sub compacts). Rohrbaugh. Kel Tec PF9. Ruger LC9. Springfield EMP. Smith Wesson CS9.

yes-im-packin
02-16-2012, 19:22
I read the article about the cm40 and they had a little section about the cm9 and yep, now I want one too

cowboy1964
02-16-2012, 19:34
I think the PM9 is one of the best small 9's out there (and it's about the smallest to boot). It shoots surprisingly well considering its size and weight.

The CM9 should be similar but I don't have any experience with it.

pcool69
02-16-2012, 20:09
I love mine. Eats everything I feed it and disappears into my front pocket.

Here is some info on the CM versus the PM: http://www.gunblast.com/Kahr-CM9.htm.

bac1023
02-16-2012, 20:26

:rofl:

That never works for me. :embarassed:

patgwashere
02-16-2012, 20:28
love mine

mickdundie
02-16-2012, 20:28

Obviuosly.

You'd be the last person to ask advise on how "NOT" to buy a gun!!!

Mick:thumbsup:

brausso
02-16-2012, 20:34
I love mine. I've had it about 8 months and put about 700 rounds through it. It fits very easy in most of my pockets without any major printing.

I had one FTF but that was my fault. I didn't have the magazine seeded all the way. Other than that, flawless. I've never been one to carry two firearms but with the CM9 as my BUG it makes it very easy

ctfireman
02-16-2012, 21:04
Two words, beretta nano.

East River Guide
02-16-2012, 21:08
Love my PM9.

Has anyone wondered why Glock doesn't make a single stack 9?:rofl:

But seriously, the trigger is different but you can easily adjust. Mine has been flawless.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-16-2012, 23:15
I have also been very, very interested in the Kahr CM9. Great price for a small gun. It's what the Diamondback DB9 wishes it could be.

BrewerGeorge
02-16-2012, 23:20
Love my CM9. I carry it 90% of the time, IWB in a PJ Holster kydex sheath. I find it just a bit too big for comfortable pocket carry. It fits, but swings around too much, bumping my leg and annoying the crap out of me. (I just got a Taurus TCP for true pocket carry.)

John43
02-17-2012, 05:10
Its a great gun, flawless for me, daily carry gun.

hallnh727
02-17-2012, 06:19
Great gun, no problems with mine. Trigger is long and smooth

Bob Hafler
02-17-2012, 06:39
The Kahr PM/CM9 is the single stack 9mm Glock and XD wish they would have made,and there customers have been wanting for years. I have an all black PM9 w/night sites, it has been every bit as reliable as my Glock 26 or my XD9sc. I carry all the time and about 85% of that time I'm carrying the PM9. There reliable,great ergo's, natural pointers, accuracy is good for a gun it's size, controlable recoil,topped off with a DAO trigger that is long but smooth and better than any ones elses that I've ever shot.

user
02-17-2012, 07:07
If I were required to own only one Kahr pistol, it would be the MK9 2003 Elite w/nightsights. The ones starting with "C" are not machined to the same tolerances or made to the same standards of accuracy as the others; that's why they're cheaper. But it's not like you're going to be buying one every week, you ought to spring the bucks and get the good one, after all, it'll last longer than you will.

Bruce M
02-17-2012, 07:12
Too many. Kimber solo. Sig P938. Sig P239.(technically not pocket pistols, but sub compacts). Rohrbaugh. Kel Tec PF9. Ruger LC9. Springfield EMP. Smith Wesson CS9.

I might add the Sig P290 to the list.

ctrcs
02-17-2012, 07:23
I have one and during the recommended 200 shot break-in period I had some stovepipes and failure to ejects and accuracy was all over the place. I have 350+ through it now and it performs flawlessly and is extremely accurate out to 15 yards. It is very easy to carry. If your primary purpose is not pocket carry, Look at the MK9 which is the metal version. I have only shot one once, but it was even more accurate and had noticeably less recoil.

ArmedMikeQ
02-17-2012, 07:24
OMG I am getting my cash out. I think Bud's is going to get an order.

Any more praises from you "Kahr employees" out there telling me how great it is..... :tongueout:

I didnt know Kahr paid people for reporting on their guns. :)

whoflungdo
02-17-2012, 07:29

My kids gave me a Kahr CW9 in December for my birthday. I can't say enough good things about it. Perfect size, weight, balance for concealed carry. Ate all the ammo I fed through it on it's first range trip. My son and I shot 250 rounds through it. At first, it kicked a little more than what I was expecting. Once I got the proper grip, it was very pleasant to shoot. Has a longer trigger pull that what I am used to, but it is smooth as glass. The only thing I want to do to it is dehorn the slide release lever... I know you asked about the CM9 but it's just a smaller version of the CW9...

Bob Hafler
02-17-2012, 08:06
Mike, As I'm sure you know, no one gun fits everyones needs and likes,but I'm sure you'll find that most Kahr owners are pretty happy with there purchase. There quality I think is darned good, but every once in a while like every other gun manufacture you find one that might have a few problems in the begining. What can I say, It happens in the real world. Most of the time though it's just a matter of the shooter getting to know the gun and what kind of ammo there particular pistol likes best. It is a well know fact that some small pistols are a little more finicky than others,even if they are the same brand and model. Having said that though my PM9 (which I highly recommend over the CM9 JMHO) has never so much as had a hiccup shooting many brands and weights of brass ammo including JHP,FMJ,and reloads.
I'll be expecting my check from Kahr any day now.:rofl:

BrewerGeorge
02-17-2012, 08:44
... The ones starting with "C" are not machined to the same tolerances or made to the same standards of accuracy as the others; that's why they're cheaper....
That's not exactly true. With the exception of the barrel and slide stop which is metal-injection molded on the CM and machined on the PM, the differences in the mostly cosmetic or external. Most of the functional parts are common between the two guns. The cost savings is realized primarily due to the traditional land/groove rifled barrel on the CM vs the polygonal barrel on the PM. Plus the CM's shipping with only one magazine.

rdbjr57
02-17-2012, 09:54

I just picked up a DiamondBack DB9N yesterday at Whittaker's (I notice you are from Kentucky... Whittakers is near Owensboro.)

I took an hour of personal time from work this morning to head to a nearby range and put a box of Federal 115 gr FMJ through it. Not what I would call a "fun" gun to shoot, (but then no pocket pistols are designed for "fun.")

50 rounds, only one issue which was my fault... it tried to feed two rounds at once... but as for shooting... no issues at all.

So far, I'm happy with this $350 purchase! :supergrin:

Metal Angel
02-17-2012, 10:21
my PM9 (which I highly recommend over the CM9 JMHO)
I'll be expecting my check from Kahr any day now.:rofl:

My tax returns should be here in a week or so, and on that day I am going straight to the gunshop where I will be ordering either a cm9, or pm9. If I get the cm9, I will be ordering it with an extra mag, effectively making the price difference $200. I am leaning towards the pm9, but I'm not sure if it is a tangible reason... I think 90% of my reasoning is because I am OCD and can't stand having the "base model", when I know there is one better. Really, I'm hoping someone can give me some concrete reason why I should get the pm9. I have seen the little picture comparing the two, so I know what is different about them, but I want something more solid. Like why is the machined slide stop better? What advantage is there to a polygonal rifled barrel (I heard more fps, but how much more) the writing on the side does look nicer to me, and I do care about nice looks (maybe dumb to care about looks for a carry gun but I do)

Metal Angel
02-17-2012, 10:23
And I'm not looking for someone to tell me the cm9 is a pos, because I know that is 100% false. I understand why kahr charges more for the pm9, I need to know why I should pay more for it.

BrewerGeorge
02-17-2012, 11:00
And I'm not looking for someone to tell me the cm9 is a pos, because I know that is 100% false. I understand why kahr charges more for the pm9, I need to know why I should pay more for it.
IMO, the only reason to get a PM9 is for the other variants available - the black, elite, night sight, etc - that are not possible with the CM9 unless you do them yourself.

The slide stop is meaningless, IMO. A polygonal barrel is faster, but in a barrel this short the increase in speed is within the standard variance of any given manufactured round anyway - according to the info I've seen. A polygonal barrel is supposed to last longer, but we're talking 10s of thousand of rounds through either before that becomes an issue.

The only other reason I can think of is if you live in one of those unfortunate states like MA or CA that have lists of guns you're allowed to purchase. Since the PM has been around longer it's probably on more lists than the CM, but you'd have to check your particular state to be sure of that. I DO know there is a PM available with a mechanical safety (blech) and a loaded chamber indicator, for instance, but I'm not sure about the CM.

Quarter Tank
02-17-2012, 11:35
pay the few extra dollars for the PM9

Bob Hafler
02-17-2012, 11:46
First as you mentioned is the barrel. The PM9 is a matched grade polygonal barrel. I shoot it as good as I do my Glock 26. It's a lot more expensive to make, and is quite a bit easier to clean and keep clean due to less deposits sticking to the rifling. I'm sure most Glock owners would agree. CM9 does not have dovetailed sites and has no nightsites. You can only get the PM9 in all black. This is a big feature for me along with the N/S. I do not like shiney slides in sun light. I personally have trouble lining the sites on a shiney slides. If you prefer the CM9 by all means buy it, it's a great gun I'll certainly not say you shouldn't, but for my money and likes the PM9 is better yet.

Cephus0807
02-17-2012, 11:52
I have an itch for the Berreta Nano so i know what you mean

BrewerGeorge
02-17-2012, 11:56
... You can only get the PM9 in all black. ...
You mean that the PM9 is the only model available in all-black config, right?

Not that the PM9 is only available in all-black, because there are a couple of variations including shiny and matte stainless slide.

Metal Angel
02-17-2012, 12:04
If I bought the pm9, it would be the standard variation with the ss slide and no night sights. I might get night sights down the road, but for now I just don't care about them. I would be more likely to get night sights on my glock for hd. My home at night is the only place I ever am that is dark enought to justify night sights... As for the slide... I think the ss looks pretty, and I never have any trouble with glare on my brother in law's p380 with ss slide.

venenoindy
02-17-2012, 14:08
I had a CW9 and I think is a great carry platform but was not as small as I wanted so I got an Ruger LCR, I sold the LCR and I'm looking to get the CM9.

venenoindy
02-17-2012, 14:10
hope this helps!

Kahr CM9 9mm Pocket Pistol Review - YouTube

Jack Black
02-17-2012, 14:40
My tax returns should be here in a week or so, and on that day I am going straight to the gunshop where I will be ordering either a cm9, or pm9. If I get the cm9, I will be ordering it with an extra mag, effectively making the price difference $200. I am leaning towards the pm9, but I'm not sure if it is a tangible reason... I think 90% of my reasoning is because I am OCD and can't stand having the "base model", when I know there is one better. Really, I'm hoping someone can give me some concrete reason why I should get the pm9. I have seen the little picture comparing the two, so I know what is different about them, but I want something more solid. Like why is the machined slide stop better? What advantage is there to a polygonal rifled barrel (I heard more fps, but how much more) the writing on the side does look nicer to me, and I do care about nice looks (maybe dumb to care about looks for a carry gun but I do)

Just get the PM9. I'm a little OCD myself and would have the same qualms about getting the CM9. I'm sure I'll own the gun for 20+ years so I'm not that worried about the price difference. Shop around online and you can find decent prices too. I bought mine for $550.

Bob Hafler
02-17-2012, 15:23
You mean that the PM9 is the only model available in all-black config, right?

Not that the PM9 is only available in all-black, because there are a couple of variations including shiny and matte stainless slide.
No I was saying that the CM9 does not come in all black.
PM9 you can get either way.

Fuerte
02-17-2012, 20:42
Two words, beretta nano.

+ 1. I had a PM9. Sold it. I had a Kimber Solo. Sold it. I'm really liking my Beretta Nano so far...

sup
02-17-2012, 20:52
I got one 6 months ago and love it. Carry it everyday, not one hiccup.

ojabog
02-17-2012, 22:09
I didn't care for the trigger. I have extra large hands and the trigger breaks so far aft that I have a hard time staying on target. The gun is extremely nice & well made, but if you have big hands you definitely want to spend some time with it before buying. I went with the G26 instead and extremely happy with my decision.

Carmen
02-17-2012, 22:30
I got one for Valentine's day at a local gun show. Last year I waffled back and forth between it and a Keltec. Got the KelTec and didn't liek it. So I forgot about it for a couple years, found one at the gun show, fondled it, thought about how pretty it was, and suddenly realized I NEEDED it. So it was my V Day present from my husband. I haven't shot it yet but I will tommorow and I"ll let you know how it is. But boy is it a purty gun. I'm gonna shoot my Glock 26 with it as well, so I'll compare them.

ArmedMikeQ
02-18-2012, 07:27
hope this helps!

Kahr CM9 9mm Pocket Pistol Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TcAr06AEMk)

Yes that vid did help me. I went to a local gun store and they could order it but they didnt even have a PM9 in stock so I could hold it. I have to buy one blind without touching it or the PM9. I may try Monday to see if another gun store has one I can hold. I am so close to getting the CM9 I can make my heart race :)

ArmedMikeQ
02-18-2012, 07:28
I got one for Valentine's day at a local gun show. Last year I waffled back and forth between it and a Keltec. Got the KelTec and didn't liek it. So I forgot about it for a couple years, found one at the gun show, fondled it, thought about how pretty it was, and suddenly realized I NEEDED it. So it was my V Day present from my husband. I haven't shot it yet but I will tommorow and I"ll let you know how it is. But boy is it a purty gun. I'm gonna shoot my Glock 26 with it as well, so I'll compare them.

Carmen - Please let us know how the CM9 shoots for the first time and all the details. Thanks !

Wyoming
02-18-2012, 10:16

That is because being an American and wanting to own guns is not an illness contrary to what Sara Brady thinks. :patriot:

I bought a Kahr P9 with night sights when they first came out. Judging by how bright the night sights it has been awhile. I own over 100 handguns of all types with many good for CCW. I also own the Kahr PM9 and my question to you is how big are your hands? For me there is a big difference between the two when it comes to shooting them to justify carrying the little bigger P9.

Also on the Kahr there is a difference between the C and the P series besides price and it the is trigger. The P's comes with Elite triggers of about six pounds double action. When it comes to shooting guns well it all about trigger control. If you can afford the "P" series I would recommend you do.

Do not make the mistake and think smaller is better when it comes to CCW.

"It is better to have a small gun that you will carry then to not have a big gun you left at home".

That is true up to a point but you still need a gun that you can shoot well enough to defend yourself and love ones. It is a matter of will. It amazes me what we though was small and easy to carry in the 70's and 80's, 2" 38 revolvers and Walthers PKS in 380, we some how can't handle the size and weight anymore.

A Kahr P9 in 9mm +P+ with eight shots and a seven round spare magazine is easy to accommodate. It will out shoot and out do anything we thought was great then and will do it flatter and lighter.

The PM9 size will make a better pocket carry if that is what you want. If you are going to carry it on your belt then a little bigger won't make a difference.

Everyone has that one gun that they will grab in a hurry when they are leaving the house to run down to the store ect. For me that gun has become a Kahr. I like real leather gun belts with real leather holsters and 45 Autos but my employer doesn't. I had to make compormises and for me Kahrs work. The 9mm Kahr pistols that I own have never malfunction or failed to fire from reloads to factory +P+.

BTW, I don't work for Kahr but I have stayed at a Holiday Express more than once.

Carmen
02-18-2012, 10:25
Well I shot my CM9 and my Glock 26 and just for range shooting, I like my GLock better. However, my main problem with the CM9 is the trigger pull. It takes FOREVER for the gun to fire. Not at all like my Glock. Now, this is one of those things that is simply a matter of preference, so it may not bother you at all. But it did me. But it is still an awesome little gun. I used this cheap ass ammo I got at some gun show (cheaper than WWB) and it never jammed. Granted, I put maybe 50 rounds through it, but still. No jams. I was more accurate with my Glock but I think that was due to the long trigger pull. But I was only slightly less accurate, everything hit the paper, just less right in the center. I'm definitely going to keep the gun, I just will look into getting the trigger changed (how much does this cost?). Anyway if you have any more specific questions, ask away.

Wyoming
02-18-2012, 10:47
Well I shot my CM9 and my Glock 26 and just for range shooting, I like my GLock better. However, my main problem with the CM9 is the trigger pull. It takes FOREVER for the gun to fire. Not at all like my Glock. Now, this is one of those things that is simply a matter of preference, so it may not bother you at all. But it did me. But it is still an awesome little gun. I used this cheap ass ammo I got at some gun show (cheaper than WWB) and it never jammed. Granted, I put maybe 50 rounds through it, but still. No jams. I was more accurate with my Glock but I think that was due to the long trigger pull. But I was only slightly less accurate, everything hit the paper, just less right in the center. I'm definitely going to keep the gun, I just will look into getting the trigger changed (how much does this cost?). Anyway if you have any more specific questions, ask away.

Glock 26 is a bigger gun and easier to shoot with "better" trigger. Read my post.

Glock is a better anybody gun. That is why police buy more of them then any other make out there. It is a great gun for non shooters which most police are.

However if you are a shooter then there are way more choices. If you are not willing to put the time in to learn to shoot double action than don't buy a revolver. If you are not willing to invest the time to learn a 1911 than don't carry a 1911.

If you just want a gun then get a Glock. They will always work and seldom break.

If you are a gun enthusiast then there is a big wonder world out there for you to enjoy.

Bob Hafler
02-18-2012, 10:48

Carmen I wouldn't be to fast and change anything, your just not used to that trigger yet. It's not a glock and there is nothing you can do to make a Kahr trigger to feel like a glock trigger. I think if you practice a little more with the kahr you'll fine out that you'll end up shooting it just as well as you do the Glock without changing a thing. Remember the ergo's (grip angle)on a CM9 are different than a glock and it smaller and something you just need to get used to. I also have a Glock 26 and a PM9 and although they may be different in many ways I've learned to be pretty accurate with both. Besides it much more fun to spend your money on ammo.:supergrin:

Metal Angel
02-18-2012, 11:02
I am so close to getting the CM9 I can make my heart race :)

I know how you feel! My tax returns should be here any day now (curse you presidents day!) and I am giddy with excitement to get a new gun!

Ebb27
02-18-2012, 11:27
First as you mentioned is the barrel. The PM9 is a matched grade polygonal barrel. I shoot it as good as I do my Glock 26. It's a lot more expensive to make, and is quite a bit easier to clean and keep clean due to less deposits sticking to the rifling. I'm sure most Glock owners would agree. CM9 does not have dovetailed sites and has no nightsites. You can only get the PM9 in all black. This is a big feature for me along with the N/S. I do not like shiney slides in sun light. I personally have trouble lining the sites on a shiney slides. If you prefer the CM9 by all means buy it, it's a great gun I'll certainly not say you shouldn't, but for my money and likes the PM9 is better yet.

Interesting points, but I don't really see the need for any of those on a micro 9 pocket pistol for a CCW.

Since a wee little pistol like that isn't real fun to shoot anyway why would you need a match grade barrel? Yeah if it was a target pistol or I was gonna use it for competition shooting maybe, but I only plan on shooting it enough to be proficient. I've got full size pistols for range fun and plinking.

It might be easier to clean a poly barrel but a regular land and groove barrel isn't exactly a horrific chore to clean. Once again I don't plan on putting huge round counts through it so I don't think this will be a critical issue.

As for night sights, yeah they're great on a duty pistol for an LEO where you might have the oppurtunity to actually use them for a long aimmed shot, but for a CCW type pistol that will most likely be used at close quarters by point shooting, this isn't a critical issue at least for me anyway.

Same with being all black. As a CCW I want a highly visible pistol as a lot of badguys will flee at the mere sight of a gun being drawn. An all black gun is difficult to see especially in low light conditions. Being visible to the BG is more important too me than being easier to line up the sights for target shooting at the range.

To each his own but I'm looking for an extremely small pocket 9 for CCW, not a target pistol, so the added features of the PM9 just wouldn't be worth the cost and weight of the PM9, at least for me anyway.

Diesel McBadass
02-18-2012, 11:47
Ive heard you need to use slide stop as racking it causes misfeeds or something like that.....a deal breaker for me.

Metal Angel
02-18-2012, 11:49
To each is own but I'm looking for an extremely small pocket 9 for CCW, not a target pistol, so the added features of the PM9 just wouldn't be worth the cost and weight of the PM9, at least for me anyway.

weight? The pm9 doesn't weigh more... You might be thinking of the mk9.

Metal Angel
02-18-2012, 11:50
Ive heard you need to use slide stop as racking it causes misfeeds or something like that.....a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, if you are not gonna carry hot, Kahr is not for you.

Diesel McBadass
02-18-2012, 11:55
Yeah, if you are not gonna carry hot, Kahr is not for you.

I was thinking about reloading not condition 3.

Metal Angel
02-18-2012, 11:58
I was thinking about reloading not condition 3.

Slide locks open after last round fired, slam a new mag in and flip the lock, done and done. The only time it slows you up is loading the first round before shooting.

Diesel McBadass
02-18-2012, 12:32
Slide locks open after last round fired, slam a new mag in and flip the lock, done and done. The only time it slows you up is loading the first round before shooting.

Or if you train exclusively using over the top slide racking method. And dont want to deal with tiny levers under stress.

Ebb27
02-18-2012, 16:02
weight? The pm9 doesn't weigh more... You might be thinking of the mk9.

Yes I was thinking of the all metal one.

Sorry I'm not that up on all the various Kahr models.

I have been in the market for a pocket pistol and the CM9 is on my short list.

Bob Hafler
02-18-2012, 18:18
Slide lock is not that hard to hit and release on the Kahr pistols.

Metal Angel
02-18-2012, 18:32
The only problem I see is if the slide didn't lock back, it would take longer to reload... However, it would still be faster than a j-frame. Also, I did notice in that video, when he was limp wristing and it said "zero failures"... The gun DID fail to lock the slide after the last round, and to me, that DOES count as a malfunction. I'm not worried about it though, his wrist was way more limp than mine will ever be.

ksmedman
02-18-2012, 18:52

This is recommended by Kahr.

My EDC is a G19, which is outstanding (of course). My wife carries a CW9, which I also think is pretty nice. (slimmer, lighter, etc...).
I have pocket carried a J frame for years, but finally found myself wanting something with more rounds.
So... I ordered a CM9 from Buds Friday. Can't wait for it to come in. It can use the 7 and 8 rounders we have for my wife's CW, and I am going to get a 7 round with a finger rest as a reload.
The new Sig P938 looks pretty cool too, but I imagine street price will be $700+, considerably more than the CM.

FCastle88
02-18-2012, 19:12
Kahr recommends using the slide stop because the small size means there's very little room for error. If the user racks the slide and doesn't pull the slide completely back, or drags on the slide when releasing, the slide might not have enough momentum to feed the round properly. However, as long as you make sure to properly rack the slide it works fine. I almost always rack my CM9 and I haven't had a malfunction yet.

Teecher45
02-18-2012, 19:47
I just picked up a DiamondBack DB9N yesterday at Whittaker's (I notice you are from Kentucky... Whittakers is near Owensboro.)

I took an hour of personal time from work this morning to head to a nearby range and put a box of Federal 115 gr FMJ through it. Not what I would call a "fun" gun to shoot, (but then no pocket pistols are designed for "fun.")

50 rounds, only one issue which was my fault... it tried to feed two rounds at once... but as for shooting... no issues at all.

So far, I'm happy with this $350 purchase! :supergrin:
:wavey:Hey rdbjr, I love Whitaker's. Anyone within 2-3 hours from Owensboro KY owes it to themselves to make the trip. I have never seen so many guns out for you to play with. Congrats on your new purchase.
Question, what range did you go to?
I am also from W KY.

JTSmith
02-18-2012, 22:29
I was dead set on buying a PM9 from CTD, until I clicked on "Add to Cart". Then it hit me, "I'm about to pay $600 for a pocket pistol". No thanks. At the time it was roughly $260 more than the CM9 and there was just no way I could justify that big of a price difference for such little differences. I figured I could use the difference to buy a holster, the 200 rounds of break in FMJ's, an extra mag, and and plenty of Gold Dots.

I've only had mine for a month, but it has been awesome. Had 2 FTRTB's in the first 25 rounds and since then it has been flawless. Really smooth trigger, pretty accurate, and a great deal for under $400. Only downside is the trigger reset. It sucks IMO. But it is definitely something I am willing to deal with, seeing as how everything else about the gun is so good.

Carmen
02-18-2012, 22:52

I just racked the slide and had no problems with it. No jams or anything.

Carmen
02-18-2012, 22:54
And yeah, I will wait and see on the trigger, maybe I will get used to it. I'm not making any decisions right now, just gonna have fun with it.

barth
02-19-2012, 03:52
If I were required to own only one Kahr pistol, it would be the MK9 2003 Elite w/nightsights. The ones starting with "C" are not machined to the same tolerances or made to the same standards of accuracy as the others; that's why they're cheaper. But it's not like you're going to be buying one every week, you ought to spring the bucks and get the good one, after all, it'll last longer than you will.

I've heard great things about CM9s and almost bought one myself.
Early last year CM9 wasn't an option.
And my MK40 Elite 03 ran about the same price as a PM40/9.
Plus all stainless guns make me weak -LOL.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo02/af/9d/f452d24315bd__1310177373000.jpeghttps://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo26/b9/cf/63053aba28f9__1310174749000.jpeg

English
02-19-2012, 05:56
ok I think I took a anxiety pill. I still feel like buying one.

I don't understand why you want to feel more anxious! I suppose they would be useful in the run up to exams to counteract the tendency to stop revising because it is too booring.http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/greensupergrin.gif

English

FCastle88
02-19-2012, 09:08
Also on the Kahr there is a difference between the C and the P series besides price and it the is trigger. The P's comes with Elite triggers of about six pounds double action. When it comes to shooting guns well it all about trigger control. If you can afford the "P" series I would recommend you do.

This is completely false, Kahr uses the 6lb Elite trigger in all of their models, they have for almost a decade now. Even when they did have different trigger variations, the difference was between the K and P series, not the C series. Kahr standardized the Elite trigger well before the CW series was released.

Also, would the people who keep saying that the CM9 isn't as nicely machined or as accurate care to post a link or something documenting this? the only difference in machining is it lacks a few cosmetic cuts on the exterior of the slide. The barrel rifling doesn't make any difference in a handgun, especially one this small. People have compared the P and CW series and found the CW series to be just as accurate as the P series. Also, testing by several people has shown the rifling in the CW/CM actually gets BETTER velocity with some ammo, though either way the difference is only around 20fps. And while the CM9 isn't available with night sights installed from the factory, you can order them from Kahr, or several other companies, and the pinned front sight actually makes it easier to change the sight out. Many people just buy a front night sight instead of messing with swapping out the rear dovetailed sight.

Bob Hafler
02-19-2012, 11:58
Correct smaller guns are not better for CC when it comes to shooting them. There just more comfortable to carry. It's all give and take when it comes to CC. There is no right or wrong. Just have to go with what works best for you.

unit1069
02-19-2012, 16:14
My take is this: If you have a preference for a particular system then stick with it.

I personally prefer a striker-fired DAO system like Glock/Steyr for the short recess/low bore axis design.

If someone likes the long DAO trigger then stick with it. After all, if the gun/ammo combination always fires when necessary it's up to the individual to decide whatever system best suits that individual.

unit1069
02-19-2012, 16:26
Correct smaller guns are not better for CC when it comes to shooting them. There just more comfortable to carry. It's all give and take when it comes to CC. There is no right or wrong. Just have to go with what works best for you.

I agree. It's the individual's responsibility for determining what system is suitable for that individual, and nobody can determine that for anyone save for sage advice offered to novices.

It's a learning curve, and one each individual becomes familiar with as the curve progresses. I can't count the number of steps I've taken these past seven years but with each step I gain a bit more knowledge with a corresponding advancement in CCW preference/system. I won't mention any names but there are a number of anonymous and prominent contributors whose expertise have led me to the current situation I feel is best suited for me.

With each step I gain better gun/ammo reliability and confidence and with that I'll just say that's the Zen adage about the journey, not the end destination that's the ideal --- as there's no ideal end destination.

All we as individuals can do is trod our own individual path and seek to acquire the best system for our particular needs and circumstances.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-19-2012, 19:27
I agree. It's the individual's responsibility for determining what system is suitable for that individual, and nobody can determine that for anyone save for sage advice offered to novices.

It's a learning curve, and one each individual becomes familiar with as the curve progresses. I can't count the number of steps I've taken these past seven years but with each step I gain a bit more knowledge with a corresponding advancement in CCW preference/system. I won't mention any names but there are a number of anonymous and prominent contributors whose expertise have led me to the current situation I feel is best suited for me.

With each step I gain better gun/ammo reliability and confidence and with that I'll just say that's the Zen adage about the journey, not the end destination that's the ideal --- as there's no ideal end destination.

All we as individuals can do is trod our own individual path and seek to acquire the best system for our particular needs and circumstances.

I think you've expressed this well. I hate it when some guy says, "The Gangstomper3000 is the best gun, period!". And then they state that over and over in every thread for every situation, with no acknowledgement of the various strengths and weaknesses as related to the needs of the person searching for a gun.

plouffedaddy
02-19-2012, 19:39
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0832.jpg

Mine has been flawless through about 600 rounds. The only negative is that with my big hands, I sometimes need to adjust my grip after a couple shots. But, the trigger is great, accuracy is great, and it's great to carry so no complaints.

Jack Black
02-19-2012, 20:45
Or if you train exclusively using over the top slide racking method. And dont want to deal with tiny levers under stress.

I use the same over hand method to load my PM9 all the time and never have a problem. The reason Kahr recommends using the slide release is because people have a tendency to ride the slide forward. Don't ride the slide and it's fine.

JLeephoto
02-20-2012, 05:36
I use the same over hand method to load my PM9 all the time and never have a problem. The reason Kahr recommends using the slide release is because people have a tendency to ride the slide forward. Don't ride the slide and it's fine.
I'm glad it works for you but I think sling shotting that first round on a new Kahr is the biggest cause of problems for new owners. The tolerances are so tight when new it has to be done just right. Now that I've got a couple thousand rounds through mine, it's no problem.

ArmedMikeQ
02-20-2012, 09:30
Well I visited a gun store in Louisville yesterday and held a CM9. It fits perfect in my hand.

I looked at Ruger LC9 but I liked the Kahr better.

The gun store I went to had the CM9 for $449.00 and the LC9was on sale for $319.00

I went to my local store this morning and ordered a Kahr CM9 for $389.00 :wow: :supergrin:

It will be in 3 to 5 days.

I also ordered a Remora Holster for the Kahr CM9. It should be here this week.

TheJ
02-20-2012, 10:44
I think you'll like it.

I love my Kahrs, including my PM9.

rkb58
02-20-2012, 11:30
My CM9 is a great shooter. Not a single complaint with over 500 rounds thru it so far. Did get a Pearce mag ext. and the fir is perfect.

eclark53520
02-20-2012, 11:34
Held one....very tiny and did not fit me very well at all.

The only reason I would get one would be for extremely deep concealment where being made would result in serious problems...Daily carry? I don't think so. G30 for that thanks.

1911master
02-20-2012, 11:52
I prefer to carry my Glock 38 for most occasions but when the need for a small pistol is required I go with the CM9. I have owned most Kahrs in the 9mm, Nano, Walther PPS, Rohrbaugh is to expensive for me, and I always come back to the Kahr 9 for pocket carry. It just fits.

Bob Hafler
02-20-2012, 15:03
As a PM9 owner I'm pretty sure your going to be happy with your CM9. They do take a little getting used to at first, but once you master that long but smooth trigger your going to see that it really does outshine every pistol in it's class. I think after a couple hundred rounds through it you'll find you'll be able to slingshot the first round into the chamber with no problem. Kahr IMO is just covering there a** by saying use the slide release. I prefer the PM9 but that is not to say that the CM9 is not a good value. Congrats.

JLeephoto
02-20-2012, 22:15
There's a great guide to "Proper Prep of a new Kahr (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521)" over a KahrTalk that helps new buyers overcome some initial frustrations and accelerate the break in process. Here's the link: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

(I hope it's ok to reference another forums thread here?)

svtpwnz
02-21-2012, 09:30
I have a PM9 and it has been a fantastic pistol and am thinking about picking up a CM9. As others have said, the trigger does take some getting use to. It has a very long but sooth pull and is very accurate for a pistol of it's size. I love carrying it in the summer and you almost don't notice you have it on after a few minutes. I have had several Kahrs and my experiences have all been very positive.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-21-2012, 10:35
There's a great guide to "Proper Prep of a new Kahr (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521)" over a KahrTalk that helps new buyers overcome some initial frustrations and accelerate the break in process. Here's the link: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

(I hope it's ok to reference another forums thread here?)

Cool, I had never read of this:
"MAGAZINE FIX: some have reported that their 2nd or 3rd round tends to nose dive in their kahrs. Here is what is happeing, as the magazine follower is moving upward when it hits that area where about round 2 or 3 is still in the magazine, that follower is now in that magazine slot hole where the magazine button locks into it. That magazine button is actually stopping that follower from sliding past it without any hindrance."

I am aware of other nosedive causes, too, mainly about the PM9.

But so far I have not been reading of reports of problems with the CM9's. Might be too early to be hearing back from people.

dbarhsi
02-21-2012, 11:51
I love my PM9 and loved carrying it. It's a safe queen these days, but I'll never get rid of it. Low capacity is what always bugged me about it, but that goes with the territory. Since I'm semi-retired and now live in cargo pants/shorts, I've been pocket carrying a g26 for the last year. I did have some small corrosion problems on the bare metal slide in humid environments, which I'll no longer have to worry about with the G26. I'm not a big guy, either. The second 10rd mag and a G19 mag in the left pocket as spares. Everything fits and carries nicely, so I'm all set. :cool:

dbarhsi
02-21-2012, 11:56

This is true and the manual for my PM9 specifically says to charge the pistol from a full magazine by dropping the slide stop. However, after my PM9 broke in, I can "slingshot" the slide all day long and it will feed every time (FMJ or hollowpoint) from a full magazine.

ArmedMikeQ
02-24-2012, 12:57
Stopped in at my local gun shop where I ordered my CM9 on Monday Feb 20th. They stated it hasnt shipped from the distributor yet and should be in first of next week. Dang I wanted to shoot it this weekend. I am like a kid on Christmas eve.

ArmedMikeQ
02-24-2012, 14:57
WELL - I got a call from the local gun store I ordered my CM9 from. It came in and I could pick it up. I jumped in the car and just picked it up. Nice.

So from the serial number how can I tell the born date?

dbarhsi
02-24-2012, 15:21
WELL - I got a call from the local gun store I ordered my CM9 from. It came in and I could pick it up. I jumped in the car and just picked it up. Nice.

So from the serial number how can I tell the born date?

Just look at the date on the fired case envelope. Close enough...

ArmedMikeQ
02-25-2012, 05:47
Just look at the date on the fired case envelope. Close enough...

I dont think Kahr does that with the casing and envelope.

Bob Hafler
02-25-2012, 06:50
Call Dottie at Kahr give her the serial # and she'll be able to give you the born on date, and weather it's a boy or a girl.
From my experience the boys are a little less finicky than the girls and will eat just about anything.:rofl:

Seriously call Dottie.

dbarhsi
02-25-2012, 07:44
I dont think Kahr does that with the casing and envelope.

They did with the two I bought. One in 2006 and one in 2009.

dbarhsi
02-25-2012, 07:44
Call Dottie at Kahr give her the serial # and she'll be able to give you the born on date, and weather it's a boy or a girl.
From my experience the boys are a little less finicky than the girls and will eat just about anything.:rofl:

Seriously call Dottie.

Dottie was great, but I believe she retired a few years back.

Bob Hafler
02-25-2012, 08:03
Dottie was great, but I believe she retired a few years back.

I did not know that. I never called her myself but heard she was the one to reach, if you wanted to know. I have a list that has my born on date on it but it does not cover CM9 pistols as they were not made at the time.

dbarhsi
02-25-2012, 08:48
If the gun works...who really cares? The CM9 has only been made for a couple/three years, anyway...

DEADEYEGUY
02-25-2012, 09:48
I bought the MK40 when they first came out. Got a great deal on it since the store was going out of business. It is just a superb little weapon. I started off shooting DAO revolvers so the trigger on the Kahr's is not a problem. In fact it just like firing a cutomized revolver trigger only better! Thing is stupid accurate. Shoots every time.
The only thing I would have done differently is I was going through a .40 caliber phase then. Wish I would have gotten it in 9mm. In the .40 the extra weight of te metal gun helps on such a small gun. I've seen a bunch of the polymer Kahr's having problems right out of the box. Seems like they kind of dropped the ball at first on the polymer guns.
Usually it's either an easy fix or Kahr replaced the guns. The funny thing is that the cheaper "C" series guns have seemed to be more reliable as a whole out of the box than the more expensive "P" series. CW9's have been excellent in the ones I've seen so far. Kahr really needed to do something along the "C" series line.
Their regular guns are just getting a bit too expensive with all the competition they've got out there. I'm looking at the CM9 myself. But I think I'll give it awhile to make sure all the bugs are out. I learned the hard way not to be the first kid on the block to have the latest toy. Let us know how your gun shoots for you. I understand if you not used to a DAO trigger how the Kahr's can seem to be a "bad" trigger. Truth is though as far as DAO triggers it's one of if not the best out there.

Jack Black
02-25-2012, 13:59
Check out Talon Grips if you find the grip on your CM9 to be a little slick. I just put one on my PM9 yesterday. I tried one on my Glock a couple of years ago, but thought it was too rough. It was like sandpaper. I only recently discovered that they now make one with a rubber texture too. I haven't shot my PM9 with it yet, but it feels fantastic.

dbarhsi
02-25-2012, 14:21
The funny thing is that the cheaper "C" series guns have seemed to be more reliable as a whole out of the box than the more expensive "P" series.

Probably because the "P" series pistols had been for a while and they got the bugs worked out before the later introduced "C" series...

FCastle88
02-25-2012, 15:46
If the gun works...who really cares? The CM9 has only been made for a couple/three years, anyway...
Just slightly over one year actually.

dbarhsi
02-25-2012, 16:27
Just slightly over one year actually.

Then that ought to solve any "born on" date issues pretty easily.

Tbone38
02-25-2012, 22:52
I bought a CM 9 about a week ago. I had one of the first Kahr pistols that came out in the 90's and liked it well enough. I scoured the net for a few weeks before purchasing a CM 9 and the only thing that kept popping up was the 200 rd break in.

When I got the pistol home I cleaned and lubed it, and over the next couple of days , hand cycled it around 1500 times before I actually had time to shoot it. Since then Ive put a little over 200 rds through it of various types of ammo including 115, 127, and 147 gr. I have shot both standard and +p.

I honestly wasnt expecting much but I have been more than satisfied with the performance of this weapon. Of over 200 rounds I have had no malfunctions of any kind. The accuracy greatly suprised me. I can keep all 6 rds in a golfball sized group at 10 yards.

The only thing I really dont care for is the trigger reset, which is all the way at the front of the trigger pull. This just takes a little getting used to and all the positives far out weigh this tiny negative.

As for a pocket pistol, I paid $365 for mine out the door. Its almost as small as most of the "reliable 380's", ammo is cheaper, Its more powerful, and has the same mag capacity. I no longer see the need for a pocket 380 with this little jewel out there.

SDGlock23
02-26-2012, 12:33
I have three, a PM9 w/NS, a PM40 w/ns and a CW45. All are fantastic, I really enjoy the little Kahrs, they shoot so well! The trigger is good, I wish it had a short reset, but oh well, it's still nice.

mingaa
02-26-2012, 12:38
Kahr was in the small pistol business way before the recent wave. Experience counts. CW9 is my EDC. Shop for a good price.

sdsnet
02-26-2012, 13:11
I have owned a PM40 for years and will not part with it. Had I known more about 9mm effectiveness back then I would have bought a PM9. The PM40 is a bit snappy but is a lot of power in a small package.

The CM9 is a great buy.

Glockster17
02-26-2012, 13:54
You are asking Gun Nuts to help talk you out of buying as gun? (No offense to anyone, I consider myself a Gun Nut).

ArmedMikeQ
03-29-2012, 05:54
As for a pocket pistol, I paid $365 for mine out the door. Its almost as small as most of the "reliable 380's", ammo is cheaper, Its more powerful, and has the same mag capacity. I no longer see the need for a pocket 380 with this little jewel out there.

Totally Agree.

Mine wouldn't lock back on the last round. It was either the magazine or the slide lock lever. Kahr replaced both and she is great now. I never had any ammo malfuction in shooting just slide not locking back all the time on last round.

Shark1007
03-29-2012, 07:15
I have two. My fiance carries one in purse and I carry the other. I'm ex leo, a gun nut and I love the little gun. Small target head shots at 10 yds, no problem and the trigger is superb.

Can't go wrong with this one.

hamster
03-29-2012, 07:33
I had a PM9 and a CM9 over the years. I ended up getting rid of both. Here is why:

1. Magazines. The Kahr mags I've had have been hit or miss. Some of the 6 rounders seem to have rough mag followers that stick causing nosedive jams that can't be cleared with simple tap-rack-bangs. The 7-round magazines have loose feed lips which let the top round just kindof fall out when put in a pocket.

2. Pocket vs IWB. These do ride nicely in large pockets in a pocket holster. The problem is, I always felt uncomfortable sitting across the able from the wife and baby while knowing the muzzle of the PM9 was pointing in their direction in nothing more than a flimsy pocket holster. I could not get over the idea of the PM9 sliding out slightly of the Desantis nemesis and then perhaps a fold of fabric from the pocket somehow catching the trigger. Crazy I know, but I just can't get comfortable muzzling my family.

That left me with IWB. In a FIST holster the PM9/CM9 was the most comfortable thing in the world to carry IWB. Hands down the best. The thing is, I figured If I'm going to carry IWB, I may as well not take the capacity/comfort/shootability hit and just go with a sub-compact like a G27 or an M&P9c.

modestglock26
05-16-2012, 11:11
I've only had 3 Kahrs so far and all have been amazing.

I started with an MK40 that was a great little gun. Built like a tank, heavy and accurate. I wound up selling it because I felt it was just too much weight for a small gun. I was going for small, and light...so I sold it but I had zero issues with its function.

My second Kahr was a DLC PM9. I loved this one simply because it was blacked out, and almost every Kahr I see is two tone.

I just picked up a CM9 yesterday and got rid of my Sig p290 in order to get the CM9 plus about $200 in cash in the trade. Very happy to do so. So far, the only thing I think I'll be changing with the CM9 is the front sight. I'd like to get the drop in front night sight for it.

Other than that...zero complaints. None have had any failures of any kind. I will admit the Kahr mags feel kinda cheap, but none have caused me any problems yet.

PM9
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/modestglock/guns/IMG_8866.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/modestglock/guns/IMG_5144.jpg

New CM9
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/modestglock/guns/6471d396.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/modestglock/guns/f035c0de.jpg

ArmedMikeQ
05-17-2012, 18:15
Still loving my Kahr CM9